Dipoto says Ms have distracted players

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Servais has lost this team. Zero fire, zero magic. Just a bunch of players who seem to be standing around waiting for the home run.
And there ARE some really good players on this team. He's overrated, that's putting it mildly.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I wonder if Joe Maddon has any fire left to do a couple years?
Something needs to change.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
DO they still do the silly dance after winning?

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
They can fire Servais but not a lot will change. How many managers have the M’s had in their history? The constant is garbage owners. And for the most part they set the lineup and manage the pen. I’d say with another manager maybe we have two more wins. They’re not that important. But I would totally understand us moving on from Servais.

Mariners just suck.

Threedee

Reaction score
They can fire Servais but not a lot will change. How many managers have the M’s had in their history? The constant is garbage owners. And for the most part they set the lineup and manage the pen. I’d say with another manager maybe we have two more wins. They’re not that important. But I would totally understand us moving on from Servais.

Mariners just suck.
This is one of the few managers that ownership has ever given a long-term opportunity to.

getnasty

Reaction score
I blame it on lack of spending more then anything. I mean Kolton Wong? He's probably a fine second basemen to hit 9th if the rest of your lineup can rake but when you need offensive help Kolton Wong ain't that guy. I think they we're hoping on Kelenic being solid which he has fine but pretty much a down year from every other player in that lineup. One bat even at DH this offseason probably has this team 6 more wins.

Chapow

Reaction score

Mariners just suck.

I've said pretty much this exact same thing here at least a few times this season.

Sure, fire Servais, but you're left with the exact same group of players that just aren't good enough to compete with the better teams in the league like the Rangers, Astros, Rays, Yankees, Orioles, etc.

I mean, I get it. Fans are pissed that the M's took a step back after back to back 90 win seasons and making the playoffs for the 1st time in 20 years instead of taking a step forward, so they want someone to be punished. I totally understand feeling that way. I just don't think a different manager is very likely to do significantly better with this group of players. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They needed to do more in the off season. They needed to add some fire power on offense. They didn't, and now were stuck with an offense that just isn't good enough.

NoGain

Reaction score
I've said pretty much this exact same thing here at least a few times this season.

Sure, fire Servais, but you're left with the exact same group of players that just aren't good enough to compete with the better teams in the league like the Rangers, Astros, Rays, Yankees, Orioles, etc.

I mean, I get it. Fans are pissed that the M's took a step back after back to back 90 win seasons and making the playoffs for the 1st time in 20 years instead of taking a step forward, so they want someone to be punished. I totally understand feeling that way. I just don't think a different manager is very likely to do significantly better with this group of players. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They needed to do more in the off season. They needed to add some fire power on offense. They didn't, and now were stuck with an offense that just isn't good enough.
Yup. I don't trust this ownership group when it comes to doing what's necessary to win at the highest levels. It was pretty clear that we needed more bat this off-season, and ownership wouldn't pony up for it when they had the money to do so. As it stands, even that might not have been enough for us to compete with the best this year. Outside of Kelenic and possibly JP (OBP-wise), the rest of the bunch together have been a productive disappointment in comparison to last year.

There were assumptions made that players from last year's team were collectively going to be at least as productive this year if not more. There were a bunch out there warning that this may well not be the case, that younger players might take a step back, that Suarez may revert back to his recent self, that this was no safe assumption.

Just when you thought it might finally be safe to get back in the water with this team, they put up a dud of a season so far. Effing M's. Especially this year with the all-star game coming our way.

Ruminator

Reaction score
I blame it on lack of spending more then anything. I mean Kolton Wong? He's probably a fine second basemen to hit 9th if the rest of your lineup can rake but when you need offensive help Kolton Wong ain't that guy. I think they we're hoping on Kelenic being solid which he has fine but pretty much a down year from every other player in that lineup. One bat even at DH this offseason probably has this team 6 more wins.
What is puzzling, though, is that many of the players on last year's squad who were getting on base and getting RBIs are still here wearing Mariner uniforms. Julio, Crawford, Raleigh, France, Suarez, Haggerty, and others. But their prolific bats of last year have done a complete 180-degree turn this year. You would think, OK, maybe they were told to do some things differently this year, but seeing the dismal results, need to be told whoops, nevermind, go back to what you were doing last year.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Dipoto should be pointing the finger at himself and ownership. He built this team and the ownership decided to sit on their wallets last offseason.

bileever

Reaction score
What is puzzling, though, is that many of the players on last year's squad who were getting on base and getting RBIs are still here wearing Mariner uniforms. Julio, Crawford, Raleigh, France, Suarez, Haggerty, and others. But their prolific bats of last year have done a complete 180-degree turn this year. You would think, OK, maybe they were told to do some things differently this year, but seeing the dismal results, need to be told whoops, nevermind, go back to what you were doing last year.
Last year, we had 5 players who had an OPS of .750 or over. Julio had an OPS of .853. Suarez was at .791. Teoscar had an OPS of .807 with the Blue Jays last year, and has previously turned in an OPS of .919 (2020) and .870 (2021). This year? Only JP Crawford and Jared Kelenic have an OPS barely over .750. (Ford is above .750, but it's a small sample size.) .750 is the MLB average OPS. You can't win unless you have a bunch of players with productive bats.

Was it reasonable to expect that Julio, Geno, Ty France and Cal Raleigh would be as good or better than last year? I would say yes, but it doesn't happen by itself. Getting to be good is hard, but staying on top is harder. As for why there's been such a drop-off, I'm sure everyone's got their pet reasons. If Julio, Geno, Ty, Cal and Teoscar were doing as well as they did last year (and Jared and JP with their improved production), it would be a completely different 2023 season.

Even Dylan Moore had an OPS over .750 last year. As @Ruminator said, we also haven't gotten anything like the spark that he or Haggerty gave the team last year.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Servais has lost this team. Zero fire, zero magic. Just a bunch of players who seem to be standing around waiting for the home run.
And there ARE some really good players on this team. He's overrated, that's putting it mildly.
82.5 wins. Vegas line. All based off rosters. Servais has won more games then 1 manager since 2018 for wins above expected rate.

Seems like the PC crowd who wanted Pete Fired.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Don't care. Pete is great. Servais is average. I have a right to my opinion. And I know a lot of people feel the same about him.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Don't care. Pete is great. Servais is average. I have a right to my opinion. And I know a lot of people feel the same about him.
You do. Thats fine. A lot also thought PC should be fired and Russ should stay. Now they flipped. 😅😅.

Threedee

Reaction score
I've actually been pondering this question for many years, so, I will pose it here. Does anyone think that we cycled through the likes of Melvin/McClaren/Wakamatsu/Wedge/McClendon too soon (I'm excluding Hargrove, who actually became so demoralized that he quit midseason), or did they receive plenty of time to demonstrate a need to be replaced?