Darrell Bevell linked to BYU coaching job

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
You guys can talk to me about DVOA all you want. I know a stupid play call when I see it. I know an ineffective play design when I see it. I know when a gameplan is bass ackwards, putting all the weight of successful execution on the very offensive line that is so inept and failing to adapt to the situation. And I know when an OC has shown the exact same tendencies for four years straight.

Having the fourth best offense in the NFL isn't so nice when it doesn't give you the fourth best record in the NFL.

Break it down into actual situational causes. What was it that caused us to fritter away a HUGE fourth-quarter lead against Cincinnati? In part, a total lack of offense, a flurry of three-and-outs coming right when we needed them the least. What caused the same breakdown against Carolina? Same deal, this time at home. Sure, there were other elements, such as a defense with issues playing against a legitimate top-4 quarterback both times. But when we're talking about three-and-outs, any one of which could have stalled our team to a win, I do place some responsibility there.

As far as "two Super Bowls", I do not and never will see Bevell as a superior coaching candidate because of this. Not when you had a historic defense keeping the scoring burden remedially low and an improvisational QB for the ages who willed us to win on the back of broken plays. The logic that two Super Bowls make Bevell a superior candidate is spurious and unreliable.

I will acknowledge, however, that he could be worse. People wanted Unger and Carpenter gone. Look how that turned out.

I also acknowledge that Pete's habit of treating October like the preseason may also be responsible for some of Bevell's playcalling.

Mick063

Reaction score
I was ready for him to go after the Super Bowl.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
JSeahawks":fygrm3if said:
kobebryant":fygrm3if said:
Just curious, not that is matters to me one way or another, but is being Mormon a pre-requisite for the HC job at BYU? Similar to how being Quebecois is required to coach the Canadiens?

Or do they go with the best candidate for the job regardless of religion?

Big suke (portland sports radio guy) played football at byu. He said the coach not only needs to be Mormon but needs to be active and participating in the church.

He thought they might look at kalani sitaki who is now the defensive coordinator at Oregon state, but went to byu and was at Utah before this season.

Not sure that is correct, but if it is, it really isnt that hard to fake and do for a bit, if coaching at BYU is really what you want to do.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
If Bevell feels that's his calling, I wouldn't begrudge him if he pursued the job in Provo.

But he is the best person out there right now to be pushing the offensive buttons of the Seahawks in my opinion.

He has a great knack for making the adjustments that have the Hawks hitting on all cylinders come December. He also has been instrumental in coaching Russell up and having him make the adjustments this season to become a more well-rounded quarterback. That is going to make him lethal.

Even though our line collapsed like a house of cards earlier in the season, the offense DID command a lead in the fourth quarter in just about every game we lost. A solid defensive stand to close out the win here and there and our record would have been much better.

But that's water under the bridge. The offense has been blazing and much of that can be attributed to Bevell. None other than Doug Baldwin singled him out this past week.

So as a Mormon, I could see how the BYU job might be enticing to Bevell. But as a Seahawk fan, I sure hope he remains a pivotal member of our coaching staff and would like to see him get a contract extension.

Rocket

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":2wyuvzfx said:
polls_boy_dog_pray_4344_811988_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg
Second that prayer.

nategreat

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1m11tx6t said:
If Bevell feels that's his calling, I wouldn't begrudge him if he pursued the job in Provo.

But he is the best person out there right now to be pushing the offensive buttons of the Seahawks in my opinion.

He has a great knack for making the adjustments that have the Hawks hitting on all cylinders come December. He also has been instrumental in coaching Russell up and having him make the adjustments this season to become a more well-rounded quarterback. That is going to make him lethal.

Even though our line collapsed like a house of cards earlier in the season, the offense DID command a lead in the fourth quarter in just about every game we lost. A solid defensive stand to close out the win here and there and our record would have been much better.

But that's water under the bridge. The offense has been blazing and much of that can be attributed to Bevell. None other than Doug Baldwin singled him out this past week.

So as a Mormon, I could see how the BYU job might be enticing to Bevell. But as a Seahawk fan, I sure hope he remains a pivotal member of our coaching staff and would like to see him get a contract extension.

:pukeface:

chris98251

Reaction score
The Packers are great at making adjustments, we are slow to evolve in games and over the season, if the plan works great, how many times have we used the scripted playbook and made great yards running and or passing but never go back to what was successful. How many times have we used a hurry up or a 2 minute drill and had success only to go in very long play call where we are late to get the play in and Wilson is trying to hurry up to make line calls and we get flagged.

When you have something that is working how many coaches abandon it? Most stay on it till you prove you can stop it. Not us most times.

Rob12

Reaction score
Someone else said it and I'll echo it. Change is scary.

Other than the play that lost us our second Lombardi, I've been quiet on Bevell. I don't like everything that he does. I think he is very slow to adjust at times. But when I look at the body of work over the past three seasons, it's hard to argue the results. It really is. We've enjoyed some very good offenses with little draft capital and dollars going to the offensive side of the football.

Overall, I don't see how he's not a success here. And while much of .NET pines for change, I hope you all at least think about the old cliche of the grass not always being greener on the other side.

We're hyper critical of Bevell and I think at times it's grossly unfair. I'm a lot like ENGLISH in that I'm not really a Bevell supporter, but I'm less against him than for him. I think given the circumstances, he's done a good job. Kinda feels weird saying that.

At the end of the day (another cliche!), the players are the ones who have to produce.

Rob12

Reaction score
nategreat":i0qeifgm said:
Siouxhawk":i0qeifgm said:

This is the type of crap that makes .NET insufferable at times. That was actually a well thought out post. If you disagree, use words to actually rebut it. Otherwise, what does your little puking emoticon add to the discussion?

thebanjodude

Reaction score
I think it's just a negative reaction to the most notorious Bevell apologist on this board.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Rob12":14t1mb8m said:
nategreat":14t1mb8m said:
Siouxhawk":14t1mb8m said:

This is the type of crap that makes .NET insufferable at times. That was actually a well thought out post. If you disagree, use words to actually rebut it. Otherwise, what does your little puking emoticon add to the discussion?

The original post is laughable being that is comes from a blatant Bevell apologist. Blatant!

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
Rob12":1a4r5v5g said:
nategreat":1a4r5v5g said:
Siouxhawk":1a4r5v5g said:

You must be new here.

Rob12. Meet Bevells mom, Suehawk. Suehawk, Rob12. :2:

Vesuve

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1jzriec8 said:
Bronco Mendenhall just accepted the job at Virginia and there are already some early rumblings that a name on BYU's list to replace him is none other than our boy wonder at OC and practicing Mormon, Darrell Bevell.

Not sure if they'd be open to waiting until our season ends, but it's something to keep in mind.

[tweet]http://twitter.com/BryanDFischer/status/672917276308455426[/tweet]

Please, oh please.

Please leave.

hawk45

Reaction score
Our offense has been propped up by the run game during this entire window. For 4 years there have been 2 short stretches where the passing has been a large factor. One during Russ's first year before the league figured out mobile QBs. And one the last few games.
The rest of the time our defense and rush game kept us in it, and Russ improv gave us a pivotal 4th quarter play to ice a win. Other than that, passing O was something we rarely saw, and when we did a great deal of it was sandlot.
When defenses adjust to the game plan Bevell used in the last game, we can look forward to another 4 years of waiting for Bevell to make a counter adjustment.
So no, I'm not scared in the least that we are primed for 300 pass yards and 3 TDs forever more and that losing Bevell jeopardizes this.
The league may be jealous of our offensive DVOA but nobody can say with a straight face they are jealous of our passing offense the last 4 years with the exception of about 6 games. Moral of the story is: hurry and unload Bevell during the short stretch of effective passing offense.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Where's that thread were people suggested alternatives?

People should go read it and then have a good long think about their take on DB.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
95% of football fans hate their offensive coordinator. It's' kinda funny.

gulliver

Reaction score
Watching people defend Bevell is like watching an insane college sociology experiment. For the past few years, our offense has been predicated on Bevell calling a play, the play breaking down because it sucks, and Russ running for his life and occasionally completing a pass along the way. If the Seahawks are doing ANYTHING well on offense statistically, it's not because Darrell Bevell called a brilliant play - it's because Russell Wilson made up his own play when Bevell's inevitably failed. I'm gobsmacked by the fact that people are actually crediting Bevell with that.

I simply cannot imagine how anyone can watch our games, see what we're all seeing, and feel that the Bevell-Wilson partnership is a cool, collected, strategic, premeditated killer offense like Rodgers, Brady or vintage Peyton. It's total panic and hysteria at all times. Mike Tyson said "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." Well, on better than half of offensive plays in the last 3 years, we act like we've been punched in the mouth, and like an inexperienced boxer, we've started swinging blindly back at the defense. Thank Christ Russell is athletic and elusive enough to stay on his feet until Dougie or Kearse can shed coverage, because if he had Peyton Manning mobility back there we'd be winless. Peyton made it work in the day because he had a plan, but to watch Russell try to make hay with Bevell's scheming is to watch an episode of MacGyver. Bevell sets him up to fail, and then, sometimes, Russell figures out how to overcome it.

Some people see that - and the fact that it took a half a season to plan around an OL that can't pass protect for 2-Mississippi, and they see the red zone stuff, the bubble screens, the boneheaded 3rd down calls - and they just can't get enough Bevell.

I think a really good indicator is how you can do at scoring, given one good shot. We call these 2-point conversions. We've had 5 this year, and have converted just one. The attempts at creating confusion for the defense are simply laughable, and we are chronically unable to get 2-3 yards when we clearly feel we really need it.

For what it's worth, I think true Bevell defenders are 1/3 of their ranks, while the remaining majority are people who simply think Bevell detractors are stupid people, and that they can demonstrate their football superiority over these supposedly stupid people by taking a Jim Jones pact to defend Bevell against them at all costs. It's almost religious; "you have to trust in HIM, Darrell Bevell always has a plan."

Scottemojo

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3m01ykkf said:
Where's that thread were people suggested alternatives?

People should go read it and then have a good long think about their take on DB.

Put your money where your mouth is.

If forced to choose an new OC, back to the wall, who do you want, and why.