Darrell Bevell linked to BYU coaching job

OkieHawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3j735t9n said:
OkieHawk":3j735t9n said:
theENGLISHseahawk":3j735t9n said:
This is exactly the type of response that makes me wish all Darrell Bevell threads were in the shack...

So you are saying his situational awareness has been spot on the first 10 games this season?

No. I don't recall ever making that statement.

It was a question, not an assumption on my part. My bad for the weird wording.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
UH, no.

Why it took him 8 games to figure out how to use the short passing game when the OLine couldn't provide protection for the typical long developing routes confirms he really is a blockhead. The Hawks successes on O are coming from a future HOF QB who has been trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. VERY slowly Bevell is learning how to use the protection provided to allow the ball to be moved downfield. The last 2 games have been well called but the recent success on o is not coming exclusively from the bright mind of Bevell.

I genuinely believe the Hawks O could be better without him.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The Seahawks have a legit claim to being the fourth best offense in the NFL. Besides NE, CIN, PIT and ARI, who else is even in the conversation? Would you trade for Green Bay's offense right now? I sure wouldn't.

And we do it with UDFAs, JAGs, and 4th-year QB. None of the other top offenses can say that.

If you feel like our O is underperforming, you really don't get what's happening around the league or watch the other games IMO. What our offensive coaches are accomplishing is stunning.

jkitsune

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1xfefax3 said:
jkitsune":1xfefax3 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1xfefax3 said:
4th best offense in the NFL

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-r ... oa-ratings

Just a rumour and thankfully he'll be staying put, so we can enjoy many more threads like this. :roll:

I think it's incredible how much two great games will change the narrative (and the statistics) in a 16-game season.

About midway through the season, we were leading the league in drives ending with a punt, and worst in the league in the red zone. There were all sorts of additional horrific offensive statistics we could throw out there.

Sure. And I'll just repeat what I've said before about the complexity of coaching this offense.

You've got a head coach who wants to be the best scrambling team in the NFL while preaching ball control. You have a 5-10 quarterback who is a great improviser and often chooses to move around instead of trusting the pocket. You have an offensive line coach who has complete control of the running game and the O-line personnel. The O-line, incidentally, was historically terrible to start the season. You also have the pressure of making sure Marshawn Lynch gets all his touches and providing the new shiny tight end who cost a first round pick with enough catches to avoid that being a talking point. And oh yeah, that tight end who doesn't want to and can't block? Yeah we're going to make him block because it's what we do.

Name me another offensive coordinator that has to deal with all this. Is it any wonder they started the season struggling?

And despite all of this, 12 weeks in they're the #4 offense in the league.

And everyone wants to replace the OC.

I think there are some legitimate criticisms of Bevell that go well beyond a lump analysis of DVOA, but do depend on how much any given thing is Bevell's decision, vs. Tom Cable's, Pete Carroll's, or even the quarterbacks coach Carl Smith's. Or even how much is Russell at the line. The insistence on using Jimmy Graham as a blocker, including on pass plays - is that Bevell or Cable? The stretches of absolutely atrocious execution in the red zone and 3rd down. The lack (until recently) of a quick, short-to-intermediate game over the middle, despite our atrocious OL. The length of time it took to adjust to our one obvious, glaring weakness. Fades to Kevin Smith and short slants to Ricardo Lockette, while one-time plays in themselves, are indicative of a pattern of not maximizing your team's best players in high-leverage situations. The tendency to throw deep on 3rd and short. For the last 2 years, especially, the offense has felt like it has underperformed its talent, and the last two games notwithstanding, they have.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
OkieHawk":3craucuu said:
theENGLISHseahawk":3craucuu said:
OkieHawk":3craucuu said:
theENGLISHseahawk":3craucuu said:
This is exactly the type of response that makes me wish all Darrell Bevell threads were in the shack...

So you are saying his situational awareness has been spot on the first 10 games this season?

No. I don't recall ever making that statement.

It was a question, not an assumption on my part. My bad for the weird wording.

That's cool.

To answer the question, I don't think his situational awareness has been spot on. I have issues with Bevell at times. I am not pro-Bevell so much as I'm just not anti-Bevell and pining for change.

But I don't think some fans realise how productive our offense has been in comparison to the other O's in the league over the last few years. There's too much focus on what doesn't work and not enough focus on the good stuff. I think people almost expect a perfection that doesn't exist. Look at Brady and NE vs Denver or Aaron Rodgers' last few games. There isn't an offense in the league that has its way all of the time.

A case in point -- Seattle's passing game just won a vital home game against Pittsburgh on a day when the running game was so-so and the defense a mess. And in the same week people aren't talking about Bevell's obvious contribution to that win, they're posting GIF's celebrating the fact someone has decided to make an unfounded rumour about him possibly interesting BYU.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1jzo1o2w said:
That's cool.

To answer the question, I don't think his situational awareness has been spot on. I have issues with Bevell at times. I am not pro-Bevell so much as I'm just not anti-Bevell and pining for change.

But I don't think some fans realise how productive our offense has been in comparison to the other O's in the league over the last few years. There's too much focus on what doesn't work and not enough focus on the good stuff. I think people almost expect a perfection that doesn't exist. Look at Brady and NE vs Denver or Aaron Rodgers' last few games. There isn't an offense in the league that has it's way all of the time.

A case in point -- Seattle's passing game just won a vital home game against Pittsburgh on a day when the running game was so-so and the defense a mess. And in the same week people aren't talking about Bevell's obvious contribution to that win, they're posting GIF's celebrating the fact someone has decided to make an unfounded rumour about him possibly interesting BYU.

My biggest gripe is the seeming unwillingness to change the game plan at critical times. The last 3 games were much improved, and I hope this continues.

Your point on the running game against Pit is spot on, it was decent but not really working, so they changed it up to pass more. The game Sunday will be a real test though for our offense.

The Outfield

Reaction score
I've been on the fence about Bevell. A lot of things he does annoy me... but we also have gotten a lot of wins with him at the helm. Change is scary.

FreshlySnipes

Reaction score
Why would Bevel go back to college? Not sure the salary difference but I assume he makes more in the NFL than he would coaching college. Maybe I'm way off base here, anyone know?

Jville

Reaction score
Pete Carroll, pass coordinator Darrell Bevell and run coordinator Tom Cable have a remarkable collaboration. It's not as automatic as some seem to think for an ambitious and proud group of men to keep their individual egos in check as well as bend with the give and take necessary for the greater good. The offense is evolving.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Just curious, not that is matters to me one way or another, but is being Mormon a pre-requisite for the HC job at BYU? Similar to how being Quebecois is required to coach the Canadiens?

Or do they go with the best candidate for the job regardless of religion?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
kobebryant":3ilt5lzg said:
Just curious, not that is matters to me one way or another, but is being Mormon a pre-requisite for the HC job at BYU? Similar to how being Quebecois is required to coach the Canadiens?

Big suke (portland sports radio guy) played football at byu. He said the coach not only needs to be Mormon but needs to be active and participating in the church.

He thought they might look at kalani sitaki who is now the defensive coordinator at Oregon state, but went to byu and was at Utah before this season.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Let's just remember that all the success we've had over the last few years has been despite Bevell and that literally anybody could do a better job in his position. Literally anybody; your aunt or a bikini barista. I think it's important to remember those things. Somebody should warn BYU before before they make a grave mistake.

kobebryant

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2ihwqbj1 said:
kobebryant":2ihwqbj1 said:

Big suke (portland sports radio guy) played football at byu. He said the coach not only needs to be Mormon but needs to be active and participating in the church.

He thought they might look at kalani sitaki who is now the defensive coordinator at Oregon state, but went to byu and was at Utah before this season.

Thanks.

In a way that's kind of neat, but at the same it narrows the coaching pool and puts a ceiling on how successful the program could be.

Wonder if it is expected that if you're the best Mormon coach out there and BYU wants you, yo go. Like if Saban were Mormon would there ultimately be expectation/pressure for him to be at BYU.

Hawks46

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1qaa2ts1 said:
UH, no.

Why it took him 8 games to figure out how to use the short passing game when the OLine couldn't provide protection for the typical long developing routes confirms he really is a blockhead. The Hawks successes on O are coming from a future HOF QB who has been trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. VERY slowly Bevell is learning how to use the protection provided to allow the ball to be moved downfield. The last 2 games have been well called but the recent success on o is not coming exclusively from the bright mind of Bevell.

I genuinely believe the Hawks O could be better without him.

I couldn't agree more. The thing that really gets me is this: it wasn't a surprised that our OL was going to be green and learning. They knew they had a developmental Center, and Pete's even alluded to they were hoping he'd develop faster. Why wait until the bye week to install a passing game that gets the ball out of Wilson's hands faster ? On top of that, it's a different offense than we usually run, so it would've taken the first few teams by surprise. Seeing as how our first 5 games or so came down to either one play or just sustaining one drive in the 4th quarter, a more proactive passing game plan might have us at 8-3. The narrative would be totally different here.

I also like that we seemingly had no game plan against the blitz in the first half of the season. Accordingly, we were last against the blitz and we were one of the most blitzed teams in the league.

The other thing that ticks me off is that we're the anti Patriots. We do our thing regardless of the opposition's strengths and weaknesses. A good example would be Pittsburgh. They are terrible against the pass, but were 3rd in the league against the rush. We come out rush heavy right off the bat. It kind of worked, but I theorize if we had come out and burned them with the pass, it would've opened up the run so much more. And they weren't going to stop us passing regardless.

I get what you're saying English. Bevell does a decent job, but you don't want any of your coaching staff to be average. It really comes down to who we would have available to replace Bevell. There's quite a few candidates that would be worse, but there's a lot that could be better and some of them come from the college ranks.

mrt144

Reaction score
FreshlySnipes":31ajva18 said:
Why would Bevel go back to college? Not sure the salary difference but I assume he makes more in the NFL than he would coaching college. Maybe I'm way off base here, anyone know?

Might be kinda enticing if his Mormonism tugs at his heart strings.

sutz

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":3kue59zp said:
Let's just remember that all the success we've had over the last few years has been despite Bevell and that literally anybody could do a better job in his position. Literally anybody; your aunt or a bikini barista. I think it's important to remember those things. Somebody should warn BYU before before they make a grave mistake.
Hey, MY bikini barrista is off limits. You hear me? :smilie=angry016.gif:

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Laloosh":3fxdoaah said:
46213-Yes-yes-yes-gif-nAXE.gif

THAT is hilarious...

HawkGA

Reaction score
kobebryant":2z1gr9mk said:
JSeahawks":2z1gr9mk said:
kobebryant":2z1gr9mk said:

Thanks.

In a way that's kind of neat, but at the same it narrows the coaching pool and puts a ceiling on how successful the program could be.

Wonder if it is expected that if you're the best Mormon coach out there and BYU wants you, yo go. Like if Saban were Mormon would there ultimately be expectation/pressure for him to be at BYU.

Pretty sure Saban sold his his soul for a perpetual spot in the playoff ranking top 4 so I think that would outweigh any Mormonism. :twisted: