Darkly Amusing (DVOA)

Polaris

Reaction score
Everyone,

I know the season is over and we are looking forward to reloading and retooling for next year, but the newest playoff DVOA ratings are out and it puts our last game and especially our second half into a more positive perspective than one might think. Like our first Arizona game, even though we lost the game (and fair and square Panther fans so don't go there), Seattle actually improved it's DVOA while Carolina's actually dropped. Why? Because when you look at the entire game, not only did Seattle go on it's second half tear, but when Seattle did score it did so far more efficiently than the Panthers did.

Aaron Schatz has the entire write up here:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-r ... oa-ratings

Anthony!

Reaction score
Polaris":3707lpmz said:
Everyone,

I know the season is over and we are looking forward to reloading and retooling for next year, but the newest playoff DVOA ratings are out and it puts our last game and especially our second half into a more positive perspective than one might think. Like our first Arizona game, even though we lost the game (and fair and square Panther fans so don't go there), Seattle actually improved it's DVOA while Carolina's actually dropped. Why? Because when you look at the entire game, not only did Seattle go on it's second half tear, but when Seattle did score it did so far more efficiently than the Panthers did.

To me it just proves the Spread is the way to go, and coaching was the main reason we lost, there unwilling ness to go to the spread sooner. Imagine if we went to the spread from the very first snap. wow what a game and we are probably still playing in the NFCCG, but nope we got to try to be cute.

OP
OP
P

Polaris

Reaction score
I did not start this thread to rail against the Panthers or any of that. The Panthers won and Seattle lost, and it happened fair and square. However, I think it's interesting and good for looking on how we as team should improve for the future to evaluate WHY we lost in spite of being the more efficient team, and I intended this thread to do just that. My point is that there is a lot of positive to take from last Sunday's game even though we lost.....and IMHO DVOA is a useful tool for evaluating it. It's why I included the link.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Polaris":sxdui6wj said:
I did not start this thread to rail against the Panthers or any of that. The Panthers won and Seattle lost, and it happened fair and square. However, I think it's interesting and good for looking on how we as team should improve for the future to evaluate WHY we lost in spite of being the more efficient team, and I intended this thread to do just that. My point is that there is a lot of positive to take from last Sunday's game even though we lost.....and IMHO DVOA is a useful tool for evaluating it. It's why I included the link.
I agree with the way you would like to view the positive aspect of it but you simply cannot ignore the fact that most people here weighed heavy on that DVOA rating and when push came to shove it really didn't matter. Now, there is an article that is basically explaining it away. The positive that we might be able to take from Sunday is no surprise. We have seen it during that stretch of good games.

If you want this to be a rose colored thread, fine. I just wanted to point out the fact that we lost the game regardless.
No harm.

OP
OP
P

Polaris

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":b1exyzqq said:
If you want this to be a rose colored thread, fine. I just wanted to point out the fact that we lost the game regardless.
No harm.

Except I pointed out in my very first post that we lost and lost fairly.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Schatz is with a straight face seriously trying to suggest that for game that's 31-0 at halftime the first and second halves are independent events?

That's complete and total nonsense and Schatz is smart enough to know it's complete total nonsense.

Agreed that this was a game between two good teams and a closer final score was more likely than a one-sided final score (we could have gotten to that just using the betting line), but it does annoy the dogcrap out of me when analytics people say things that they know not to be true.

OP
OP
P

Polaris

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1n7iprmi said:
Schatz is with a straight face seriously trying to suggest that for game that's 31-0 at halftime the first and second halves are independent events?

That's complete and total nonsense and Schatz is smart enough to know it's complete total nonsense.

Agreed that this was a game between two good teams and a closer final score was more likely than a one-sided final score (we could have gotten to that just using the betting line), but it does annoy the dogcrap out of me when analytics people say things that they know not to be true.

Did you read that link? It didn't seem to me that Schatz was saying anything of the sort. All he was saying was:

1. It was a close game against two pretty evenly matched team when you looked at the whole picture with the home team finally getting an edge. I don't think this point is in dispute.

2. Seattle's plays were more efficient when viewed play by play than Carolina's was. Even the raw box score hints at that (yards per play, number of plays, total yardage, etc). It indicates that as poorly as Seattle started the game, things aren't quite so bad as we might remember. I think that's an interesting and darkly humorous result. It doesn't mean Seattle wins or should have won or anything like that, but it IS interesting and compelling data for the future.

keatonisballin

Reaction score
Anthony!":1ysv64dn said:
Polaris":1ysv64dn said:
Everyone,

To me it just proves the Spread is the way to go, and coaching was the main reason we lost, there unwilling ness to go to the spread sooner. Imagine if we went to the spread from the very first snap. wow what a game and we are probably still playing in the NFCCG, but nope we got to try to be cute.

Agreed. Like most people thought would happen, Lynch came back and everything the offense achieved at the end of the year went out the window. And it took a half of getting their asses beat to realize they needed to do what actually has been working.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Polaris":2p4ebjg1 said:
Popeyejones":2p4ebjg1 said:

Did you read that link? It didn't seem to me that Schatz was saying anything of the sort. All he was saying was:

1. It was a close game against two pretty evenly matched team when you looked at the whole picture with the home team finally getting an edge. I don't think this point is in dispute.

2. Seattle's plays were more efficient when viewed play by play than Carolina's was. Even the raw box score hints at that (yards per play, number of plays, total yardage, etc). It indicates that as poorly as Seattle started the game, things aren't quite so bad as we might remember. I think that's an interesting and darkly humorous result. It doesn't mean Seattle wins or should have won or anything like that, but it IS interesting and compelling data for the future.

Yeah, I read the link. TBF I probably should have included the passage from the link that got under my skin. :lol:

It's basically summed up by this sentene at the link: "Everything Seattle did in the second half is just as important as what Carolina did in the first half."

That's kinda true in one sense, but in the sense Schatz is using it, it's not true. He wants to treat the first and second halves of that game as independent events, and it's just preposterous to do so. To make that claim would be to claim that 1) halftime adjustments don't exist, and 2) teams play the exact same way if they're up or down by 31 points as they do when a game is tied at zero. Both of those assumptions are batty.

The simple way to look at this is that the "efficiency" measures Schatz is relying on make sense in a 0-0 game, but don't make sense in a 31-0 game, as in a 31-0 game in the second half in many ways (just as an example) a four yard gain that stays in bounds and keeps the clock running is more efficient than an 8 yard gain that goes out of bounds and stops the clock, just as a pass play of lesser yards that's more likely to be completed and wiith practically no chance of turnover if MUCH MORE EFFICIENT in holding the lead than a pass play of more yards with a slightly higher chance of incompletion (stops the clock) and a slightly higher chance of turnover (the death knell of protecting a lead; the risk just isn't worth it to further the lead).

I'm not saying any of this to knock Seattle AT ALL, but there's a reason why big leads at halftime are almost never ever reproduced in their size after halftime, and it's not just regression to the mean. It's because teams are rational, and play differently once they're up big ("efficiency" changes from yards per play to things like lowest-rate-of-turnover-per-play and highest-rate-of-clock-run-between-play).

My beef is with Schatz pretending otherwise, as he already knows that the first and second halves of games aren't indepedent events, particularly for a game like that one.

Again though, to be clear, I'm beefing with the math, not with the Seahawks ultimately getting that game MUCH TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT from Panthers' perspective. :th2thumbs:

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Polaris":11u2my12 said:
Did you read that link?

Popeye never reads the link, Polaris.

He basically reads a thread title, draws up a straw man argument and beats it to death.

Every. Single. Time.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
IowaHawkeye":1wt7d1xm said:
I love it

Who are we playing in the DVOA Championship game?

Yeah, that what I'm waiting for. Super Bowls are for sissies anyway :D

kjreid

Reaction score
IowaHawkeye":2cp5sgph said:
I love it

the same team the Hawkeyes played in the national championship :roll:

both statements add the same amount to this thread.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3vpiajl1 said:
Polaris":3vpiajl1 said:
Did you read that link?

He basically reads a thread title, draws up a straw man argument and beats it to death.

Every. Single. Time.

As I've already acknowledged before your post the problem w/ my initial post is that it doesn't make a lick of sense unless someone has both read the link and knows which part of the link I'm talking about. That was already cleared up though.

TBF at some point you might even find talking football more interesting than completely feckless, desperation tosses at trying to get under my skin, or, one would imagine. :th2thumbs:

mistaowen

Reaction score
IowaHawkeye":3ffqqj5c said:
I love it

3 total posts all stirring the pot. Not even remotely sure why you're here. At least your team wasn't humiliated in the Rose Bowl like the entire country predicted.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Popeyejones":n3qjmlpy said:
theENGLISHseahawk":n3qjmlpy said:
Polaris":n3qjmlpy said:
Did you read that link?

Every. Single. Time.

As I've already acknowledged before your post the problem w/ my initial post is that it doesn't make a lick of sense unless someone has both read the link and knows which part of the link I'm talking about. That was already cleared up though.

TBF at some point you might even find talking football more interesting than completely feckless, desperation tosses at trying to get under my skin, or, one would imagine. :th2thumbs:

To be fair popeye you always take anything positive about the Seahawks and try to spin it in a negative light.

Their are enourmous advantages to being up by 31 also like being able to pin your ears back on pass rush as well as take away anything deep. The problem is even with those advantages we still kept Wilson mostly clean in the second half and he pretty much destroyed their deep protection time and again.

To me this game was the trifecta of problems. A team playing on another extended season, the 2nd week in a row at 10AM and 3rd on the road, the physical drain of the previous weeks temperatures, the emotional drain of the way the Vikings game went and then to pile on the field conditions that we weren't prepared for against a very good opponent who had 2 weeks to practice on it and game plan.

The results are not real surprising unfortunately but it does align with what DVOA is saying. In spite of all that went wrong we were still able to put together a good half of football. Maybe something as simple as the game starting a little later or the Seahawks having the right cleats to start, could have been enough to change the flow of the game.

One thing I think even you can't argue is the panthers are not so much better that they should have a 31 point lead at half.

Excuse spelling. Cell phone.

Latest posts