Crap. This Sherman thing is EXPLODING everywhere....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":wjhsny3u said:
I don't think his word were necessarily wrong, but his attitude was very angry and seemed directed at the reporter and I was afraid he was going to knock her down. I think he should apologize to the reporter....
The first thing he did in the presser was apologize to her.

titan3131

Reaction score
DavidSeven":pyebcq58 said:
Seahawks were going into the Super Bowl as the villains regardless of what happened.

Why not play it up for the world? Embrace who we are. The most swag-tastic team in NFL history.

Possibly "Optimus Prime-time" 2.0?

VaporHawk

Reaction score
Lavar Arrington had a great take on NFL network, basically telling the media "C'mon Man". He was pretty funny in dismissing the whole thing and defending Sherman.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
The more that comes out about this the more I am on Sherman's side. Crabtree was a jackass and got what he deserved. Combine that with the emotion of the big win and playing against a coach that Sherman believes talked him down before the 2011 draft, and I have no problem with what he did. B

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Seeker":2ytjy4oi said:
Hawkstorian":2ytjy4oi said:
I don't think his word were necessarily wrong, but his attitude was very angry and seemed directed at the reporter and I was afraid he was going to knock her down. I think he should apologize to the reporter....

why would an NFL player looking straight ahead at the camera make you think it was towards the reporter?

didn't sherms commercial just tell you not everyone from Compton is a thug?

What does Compton have to do with it? Everyone gets angry and has to back off at times. Don't make it into something it's not.

Dalga

Reaction score
First OFF.... Congratulations Hawks from a Saints fan!!! That was one of the best if not THE BEST most entertaining game i have ever seen. I love this rivalry and hope that my Saints can get in on the action as the West seems to own my team for the moment. Next year i hope we come hard because these are two of the best teams in the NFL. Wow what a game....

A Saints fans thoughts on Sherman.... he is the best corner in the NFL and I would love to have him on my team. I have seen "Thug" "jerk" etc. when folks outside of the Seahawks talk about this guy. I personally hate the after game talk he does considering you just broke a teams heart ending their SB run but the kid CAN back it up i just wish he would tone it down (just my personal opinion)

My 2 cents.... Thugs are criminals, thugs gangbang, rob, lie, steal and cheat, sell drugs etc. From my knowledge richard sherman participates in none of that. I would not classify him as a thug.

He is an ass for sure. A 1st class jerk at times yes but not a thug. It is a shame that he talks the way he does especially when your team just won a GREAT game and he made the play that sealed the deal. Let that be enough. Some people can't win graciously. He is one of those. I play softball for a great team and i have a few of those that i play with and against. I cant stand that part of them. He can back it up but that doesnt excuse his behavior but that doesnt classify him as a thug in my mind. He is just an emotional guy with no filter but like Deion said if you dont like it then shut him up. I havent seen anyone do it yet.

Congrats Hawks!

Riley12

Reaction score
This morning, more thoughtful articles have been popping up on my facebook feed.

They all basically say what Neon Deion said last night - you caught a true glimpse of what every competitor is thinking or MUST
be thinking as they play, without all of the other filtering mechanisms in place. By the time he got to the FOX "studio",
his filters were back in place and we got a little bit of Sherman the player, but more of Sherman the Stanford communications graduate.

5meterhawkfan

Reaction score
Here is to all those who Sherman rubs the wrong way.........

Put on your Beats and "hear what you want to hear"

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":36meqxhx said:
Oh well, get lost! I really don't give 2 squirts that you've "lost respect"'for Sherman. You are a cleaver but butthurt whiners troll, move along now!

Yes, this is precisely why I prefaced my post by acknowledging that my opinion doesn't really matter and particularly doesn't matter on this issue on this forum, and also closed my post by clarifying once again that I'm now rooting for the Hawks to win the SB.

I made the post because, well, I post here, and because it's what I'm thinking about.

To be honest, in a vacuum I don't even care about the four incidents with him last night. If it had just been one I would have laughed about it, and if it wasn't so consistent with Sherman I'd still be defending him the way I always had. With the insanity of Harbaugh "disrespecting him" I just laughed it off as Shem being Sherm. With all the other feuds I've just laughed it off and enjoyed it. He just wears you down, man. :)

He's still obviously the best CB in the NFL, still a really smart guy, and still a really charismatic guy, but he just wears you down. It's why I made the T.O. comparison (also a great player, smart guy and charismatic guy who just wears you down).

All to say that last night wasn't a big deal in itself to me, it was just kinda too much of the same. How many freak-out public feuds with another player has Roddy White had in his 9 year career? How many freak-out public feuds with another player has Darrelle Revis had with another player in his 7 year career? How many freak-out public feuds has Crabtree had with another player in his 5 year career? Sherm is the constant, and he does it multiple times per season, yet he ALWAYS blames the the ever-revolving other person for his actions, and is somehow even a sorer winner than loser. TO was the same way; always blaming other people for his actions. It just gets tiring and hard to root for over time, IMO. It's hard to root for the heel, particularly when the heel might even be delusional enough to feel justified in his heel-dom.

In any case, will drop it, cuz as much as I know that I'm not alone, I also know my opinion on this doesn't matter.

Will stay positive about the Hawks and their path to the SB win on here, as I'm of course going to be legitimately viewed with suspicion when not singing praises. Sincerely rooting for you guys, though. :th2thumbs:

AgentDib

Reaction score
Popeyejones":39835x2a said:
Honestly, he reminds me of when I used to really root for Terrell Owens. Like what happened with Owens, unless Sherman becomes a different person I think Hawks fans will end up turning on him eventually (as has already started to happen a bit).
It is bonkers to interpret anything in this thread as Hawks fan turning on Sherman. The few people who dislike his comments do so specifically because they like Sherman and don't want to see him taking flak from random twitter denizens. Consider that wearing down 49ers and their fans is one of his primary motivations. Your TO analogy is ridiculous; where TO blamed his teammates, Sherman gives them the credit. I think you are looking for a comparison that doesn't exist because it gives you an outlet for your frustrations.

Richard Sherman":39835x2a said:
When I say I’m the best cornerback in football, it’s with a caveat: There isn’t a great defensive backfield in the NFL that doesn’t have a great front seven. Everything begins with pressure up front, and that’s what we get from our pass rushers every Sunday.

Exittium

Reaction score
I didnt mind his outburst it was justified. Crabtree talked smack all week and provoked him. Sherman stayed quiet and didn't say anything. He backed it up on the field and just tip drilled his team into the SB. He gave crabtree a good game a$$pat and Crabtree responded with a tantrum. So I agree with most that his outburst was justified. And it was still very calm in regards to how it could have been. For those worried about him being "classless" stfu seriously get off your all mightier classier throne. Our team plays with a chip and an edge and when people like crabtree AND the media wanna doubt our Hawks, Sherman proved them all wrong.Therefore great job by THE #1CB Richard Sherman

Emerald12

Reaction score
I liked it. If Crabtree wants to talk smack all week, then there's no problem with Sherman showing him how to really talk smack. The one thing we DO NOT need right now is some of our fanbase getting on Sherman for it.

TJH

Reaction score
The thing that really bugs me about this is it really overshadowed the rest of the team and their accomplishment. Nobody is talking about Marshawn having an excellent game. Nobody is talking about Kam making play after play, or Bennett beasting out. Nobody talking about Baldwin's contributions. None of that. All everyone wants to talk about is a freaking interview. Sherm really put himself in front of the team with this nonsense.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Kixkahn":25h6zyjb said:
The problem was not Richard Sherman.
The problem was the reporter wanting a comment from "Richard Sherman" with full knowledge that he was pumped up after the win and is known to trash talk.
They were looking for a story and they got one.
Sherman gave them what they were looking for. He is a very giving person.
Reporters should be banned from getting interviews until 20-30 minutes after the game.

Completely agreed. They shove a microphone in his face 10 seconds after making the biggest play of his life, what do they expect? Exactly right, they were looking for a story and Boy, did they get one.

Here is the problem with what he said. The problem is that there was an opportunity here. There was an opportunity to gain thousands of new Seahawks fans nationwide and instead, the Hawks are now Darth Vader in many people's eyes.

Let me give you an example. These are comments from my wife's Facebook account. This is from one of her good friends (a woman who is a nominal football fan by the way) and didn't really know anything about the Seahawks until last night ...

I know these football guys talk crap on and off the field ... But what he did was a testosterone brag and showed no class. I'm a Packers fan but learning the Seahawks had never been to a Super Bowl and won (my dad tells me) I was hoping they could pull it off ... after seeing that I hope that Peyton Manning and the Broncos whoop their ass!!!

And she posted this picture (with the following Caption Underneath -- sorry, I can't seem to find a way to post that exact pic here) that I think is very telling for how a lot of people nationally are reacting ...

sherman.jpg%3Fw%3D590%26h%3D314%26crop%3D1

Caption to the picture my wife's friend posted on Facebook:
I Just Made You a Broncos Fan

Sadly, I think that there are a lot of those people out there now. There was an opportunity to get a lot of people (who aren't Seahawks fans now) throughout the country on our side. Unfortunately, a lot of people are now against us. It's just a shame, that's all.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
AgentDib":123ewa19 said:
I think you are looking for a comparison that doesn't exist because it gives you an outlet for your frustrations.

Edit: sorry for yet another long post. for those who are sick to death of me, please don't waste your time reading it. :D

You're of course free to armchair psychologize a stranger, but I assure you that's not what it is. If I had any concern that's what it was for me I wouldn't have posted it at all. I'm disappointed of course, but not in a way that affects my clarity. I'm more disappointed that this is the third year in a row the 9ers season has ended in heartbreaking fashion. I'm disappointed that Kap choked the game away throughout the 4th quarter. That Sherm was involved in the Hawks getting one of those turnovers is to be expected; he's an awesome player. Basically, after Pete's ice-water-in-the-veins 4th down TD pass call (which impressed the HECK out of me) I thought the Hawks deserved to win. It was just the type of gut punch that makes a team deserve to win. And after the two turnovers in the first two fourth quarter possessions I not only thought the Hawks deserved to win but also thought the 9ers deserved to lose. I thought it was improbable that they even had the opportunity to win at the end, and thought they made it to that point on luck, basically. The last turnover sucked, but heck, it also happened on borrowed time, IMO. It's really not a sour grapes thing. It's why I've tried to clarify that in isolation Sherm's behavior last night sincerely doesn't bother me, it's just that the pattern of it has worn me down.

As for the comparison with TO, you're absolutely right that there's a difference in that Sherm credits his teammates whereas Owens attacked them. That's definitely a meaningful difference, and a favorable point for Sherman. Where it's similar, and why I made the comparison, is that with both of them it's ALWAYS something, and that something is ALWAYS someone else's fault. Sherm is getting in multiple public feuds per season with multiple vets who have never been in a public feud with another player before or since the one with Sherman. He's the constant, despite always blaming someone else. T.O. went to multiple teams and had the exact same problems on every team. He was the constant, despite always blaming someone else. So like any comparison it's not a perfect one (and we agree about the key distinction you made), but that was the comparison I was making.

As for Hawks fans getting sick of the act or not and if some ever will: some have, some haven't. I have a couple friends who have and a couple friends who haven't. Will be interesting to see what happens over time, as winning really has the ability to wash everything away, and if the Hawks have been great at anything, they've been great at friggin' winning. :th2thumbs:

TestMo1337

Reaction score
What's awesome is that every media person talking about this all say the Richard Sherman is the best CB in the league right now. Some begrudgingly but they all say its something he backs up.

Keep talking Sherman!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts