Crap. This Sherman thing is EXPLODING everywhere....

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
falcongoggles":3051xbqg said:
Sarlacc83":3051xbqg said:
Tical21":3051xbqg said:
You just don't win like that, period. You're the best corner in the game, and just made the play that sent your team to the Super Bowl. That should speak for itself. Now there are millions of kids across the world that think it is cool to belittle your opponent after you beat them. There is no place in sports for his actions yesterday.

Unless you're Jordan, or Ali, or Reggie Miller, or Brady, or....

But won't someone please think of the children!

Honest question-are there post-game interviews where the declare they are the best and belittle their opponent without even mentioning their team?

If the answer is yes, it still doesn't validate what Sherman did and would be logical fallacy that appeals to numbers and precedence. I agree that sportsmanship matters. There is a difference between saying people doubted the hawks and you proved them wrong and spilling your personal feud in front of 50 million without even so much as a mention of your team.

Sherman sends his apologies for not being a robot.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
falcongoggles":1izwiq6v said:
Sarlacc83":1izwiq6v said:
Tical21":1izwiq6v said:
You just don't win like that, period. You're the best corner in the game, and just made the play that sent your team to the Super Bowl. That should speak for itself. Now there are millions of kids across the world that think it is cool to belittle your opponent after you beat them. There is no place in sports for his actions yesterday.

Honest question-are there post-game interviews where the declare they are the best and belittle their opponent without even mentioning their team?

If the answer is yes, it still doesn't validate what Sherman did and would be logical fallacy that appeals to numbers and precedence. I agree that sportsmanship matters. There is a difference between saying people doubted the hawks and you proved them wrong and spilling your personal feud in front of 50 million without even so much as a mention of your team.

Please think of the children! What terrible lessons they learn!

And you know that Sherman doesn't make it about himself, but you're conveniently ignoring the fact. And did you hear Jordan's HoF induction? Was that not seriously all about him and his grudges? If sportsmanship mattered so much, there'd be no charging the mound in baseball, no fights in hockey, and no flopping in soccer/basketball. But considering the NFL is a big drama, which is why we like it, this kind of thing only adds to entertainment value. It even encourages the morally indignant to get on their high horses and proclaim their superiority - providing a huge rush for the soul.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":2uej6erg said:
falcongoggles":2uej6erg said:
Sarlacc83":2uej6erg said:
Tical21":2uej6erg said:

Sherman sends his apologies for not being a robot.

Copy, you didn't even remotely respond to the post.

Sherman apologized today and the coach counseled him. People are defending actions that the the player himself has already said were off base.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
We're defending the fact he is an emotional guy in a super emotional moment and are letting it go because of that. What's the point of continuing to chastise him? If Rich has apologized, why are you still holding it against him?

A

Anonymous

Curious: Why am I not hearing a peep out of anybody about what Crabtree may have said to Sherman to get him that riled up? Nothing about the smack to the facemask from Crabtree and how it may have contributed?

Sorry, but I'm of the belief that a reaction is caused by an action. Something opened the door to the dark side more than just intense competition. A smack to the seeds, throat punch, talking about his mama...

Seems like something is missing the will help to explain the actions. Perhaps the NFLF's mic'ed up stuff will explain more.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2b4wv3la said:
falcongoggles":2b4wv3la said:
Sarlacc83":2b4wv3la said:
Tical21":2b4wv3la said:

And you know that Sherman doesn't make it about himself, but you're conveniently ignoring the fact. And did you hear Jordan's HoF induction? Was that not seriously all about him and his grudges? If sportsmanship mattered so much, there'd be no charging the mound in baseball, no fights in hockey, and no flopping in soccer/basketball. But considering the NFL is a big drama, which is why we like it, this kind of thing only adds to entertainment value. It even encourages the morally indignant to get on their high horses and proclaim their superiority - providing a huge rush for the soul.

You just made my point. Jordan looked like a douche in that speech. Did that speech leave you in awe? I can criticize Jordan's action in that moment and still like him as a player and a person.

I don't hate Sherman, in fact I love him, but that doesn't mean I have to love everything he does. There is a time and a place for venting (what do you think twitter was created for), but players should strive to represent their team and not place their feuds in front of their squad.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":1054qsgs said:
We're defending the fact he is an emotional guy in a super emotional moment and are letting it go because of that. What's the point of continuing to chastise him? If Rich has apologized, why are you still holding it against him?

This is what I'm seeing

Person 1-I didn't like Sherman's outburst and him putting the spotlight on himself instead of the team

Person 2-you don't like Sherman! He has nothing to apologize for!
Person 3-it happens, people are passionate.

Person 1 (responding to 2)-I love Sherman, I just didnt love what he did. If he has nothing to apologize for, why did he apologize?

Person 1 (responding to 3)-agreed, but it doesn't mean I'm not disappointed.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Someone on the radio made a great point yesterday that Sherm basically screamed exactly what he would have screamed if it had been Kam or Earl getting right up in his face, screaming "YEA SHERM THATS RIGHT!!!" or something. That was a window for the world into the unadulterated intensity of Sherman and the Seahawks D. Everyone should be pumped for the behind the scenes look.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
falcongoggles":3m31lm3u said:
Sarlacc83":3m31lm3u said:
falcongoggles":3m31lm3u said:
Sarlacc83":3m31lm3u said:

You just made my point. Jordan looked like a douche in that speech. Did that speech leave you in awe? I can criticize Jordan's action in that moment and still like him as a player and a person.

I don't hate Sherman, in fact I love him, but that doesn't mean I have to love everything he does. There is a time and a place for venting (what do you think twitter was created for), but players should strive to represent their team and not place their feuds in front of their squad.

I didn't make your point. You contradicted yourself 2 times in a weasel attempt to win the argument. (You don't get to say: even if you prove me wrong, I'm still right.) You know that the greats fuel themselves via slights, even the the tiniest ones.

Then again, Seattle is playing against a QB who's been known to throw his teammates under the bus when they lose. No one brings that up, instead pretending Manning is all class, even though those cold calculated actions were far worse than Sherman's burst of emotion. The reason for this is because it's easier for the indignant to get their jollies by judging the newest moral outrage, especially the ones cited by the national media.

mjwhitay

Reaction score
Malcolm Jenkins summed it up on twitter...

The only person that should be offended by Sherman is Crabtree.If u want us to play with emotion don't turn up your nose when it spills over

drdiags

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":3hfbfg3t said:
Curious: Why am I not hearing a peep out of anybody about what Crabtree may have said to Sherman to get him that riled up? Nothing about the smack to the facemask from Crabtree and how it may have contributed?

Sorry, but I'm of the belief that a reaction is caused by an action. Something opened the door to the dark side more than just intense competition. A smack to the seeds, throat punch, talking about his mama...

Seems like something is missing the will help to explain the actions. Perhaps the NFLF's mic'ed up stuff will explain more.

My personal Tin Foil thought. When the (supposed) fight almost broke out in Arizona during the Fitzgerald charity event, Crab said something to Richard that would make men want to fight about. I doubt it was about on the field play, so a derogatory comment most likely was made the Richard found highly offensive and lead to his season long stewing about the incident.

Richard said to ask Crabtree what was said so I am thinking it is the usual homophobic put down stuff dudes will do to one another as the ultimate put-down. I don't think the comment made during the week or anything said during the game would generate that much hostility. They should have been team-mates if Ruskell didn't have Curry-love.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Amazing interview this morning by Mike and Mike with David Shaw about Sherman. If you have time I'd recommend DL'ing the podcast if you can later on today.

I'm am proud that a lot of writers and people inside Sherman's circle of friends and coaches are coming to his defense.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Where i start and end on this Sherman thing -

I loved it. But that's just my opinion. Here are the facts:

No matter how "classless" anyone says the sherman outburst was, it was just words.

If you want to talk about classless, talk about the street-clothes 49er staffer/player/whoever that was that clothes-lined Jeremy Lane on the kick.

Sorry but in the NFL it's hard to top that as far as cowardly/classless. This trumps Sherman being cocky and calling a guy out, or one drunken fan showering bowman in a handful of popcorn.

Polaris

Reaction score
drdiags":1ifijoep said:
Richard said to ask Crabtree what was said so I am thinking it is the usual homophobic put down stuff dudes will do to one another as the ultimate put-down. I don't think the comment made during the week or anything said during the game would generate that much hostility. They should have been team-mates if Ruskell didn't have Curry-love.

In hindsight, Seattle should have drafted Crabtree and not Curry (and I happen to know that Crabtree feels this), but also remember that Crabtree was (and really still is) a diva, and for years was a cancer in the Niners organization. Credit Jim Harbraugh for finally setting him straight (or at least straighter).

Given his 'tude, and given what he would have been making as the #4 pick, and given how lousy we were as a team from 2008-9, I don't think Crabtree would have survived when Pete came in and cleaned house. Housh didn't.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2yr2ore1 said:
falcongoggles":2yr2ore1 said:
Sarlacc83":2yr2ore1 said:
falcongoggles":2yr2ore1 said:
Sarlacc83 said:

I didn't make your point. You contradicted yourself 2 times in a weasel attempt to win the argument. (You don't get to say: even if you prove me wrong, I'm still right.) You know that the greats fuel themselves via slights, even the the tiniest ones.

Then again, Seattle is playing against a QB who's been known to throw his teammates under the bus when they lose. No one brings that up, instead pretending Manning is all class, even though those cold calculated actions were far worse than Sherman's burst of emotion. The reason for this is because it's easier for the indignant to get their jollies by judging the newest moral outrage, especially the ones cited by the national media.

Actually when you use a logical fallacy for the basis of your argument the argument is already lost.

Just because other people do it doesn't make it right..sorry.

Nice job slipping the word weasel in there though.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Hawknballs":3cu32cg4 said:
Where i start and end on this Sherman thing -

I loved it. But that's just my opinion. Here are the facts:

No matter how "classless" anyone says the sherman outburst was, it was just words.

If you want to talk about classless, talk about the street-clothes 49er staffer/player/whoever that was that clothes-lined Jeremy Lane on the kick.

Sorry but in the NFL it's hard to top that as far as cowardly/classless. This trumps Sherman being cocky and calling a guy out, or one drunken fan showering bowman in a handful of popcorn.

I agree, the media is focusing disproportionately on this. However it is not a or b. people can think the media is blowing it out of proportion, which they are, and still not agree with the base action while also being frustrated with the sideline incident.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
falcongoggles":i8wxdhc1 said:
Sarlacc83":i8wxdhc1 said:
falcongoggles":i8wxdhc1 said:

Actually when you use a logical fallacy for the basis of your argument the argument is already lost.

Just because other people do it doesn't make it right..sorry.

Nice job slipping the word weasel in there though.

I didn't use a logical fallacy. You inserted a red herring (a real logical fallacy) into the argument. You asked me to name a time when it happened, and I did. You thought that you could prove those guys never did anything bad outside the arena, because you wanted to paint Sherman in an even worse light. (How about another one: Ali once lied about Frazier calling him a racial slur.) You lost that contest, and then you tried to change it to a different point about that making it alright (the red herring).

So yes, weasel fits perfectly there.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
The Sherman thing is "blowing up" because that's exactly how Sherman wanted it.

Sherman's a smart guy, fellas. He's clever.

And now, coming up on the SB and the window opening for him to be able to negotiate a new contract, his name is on the lips of millions of Americans.

And what's more, we all know he thrives on the attention, the pressure, and the challenge of backing up his words.

Now, the anger that came through with the boast might have been a bit accidental, and it's that anger we're seeing him apologize for. But in his press conference when the anger had subsided, he was still playing the braggart.

I guarantee you that Sherman is not sorry at all that he's got the spotlight squarely focused on himself and the Seahawks. How better to feed off the "nobody believes in us" angle than to ensure that no one outside of Seattle (and maybe Broncos rivals) will be rooting for the Seahawks?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawknballs":3uxq3xqe said:

I haven't heard a lot of people saying the outbursts were classless, most people I've heard and read are focusing on the nonsense that happened after the play. Sherman running up to Crabtree and talking $#&! and then giving Kaepernick the choke sign. THAT is not defensible, it was classless.

All the interviews? That's just fine with me. In fact, it was very Muhammad Ali-esque........and don't we regard him as the greatest American athlete of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.