Cowboys to sign Greg Hardy (Seahawks out)

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
MVP53":2fonr8od said:
Hawk-Lock":2fonr8od said:
twisted_steel2":2fonr8od said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JasonPuckett20/status/577916797275406338[/tweet]

This is from Jason Puckett or Clarence Hill?

That's a pretty strong thing to report, that seahawks will match any offer from Cowboys on Hardy.

That is what Clarence Hill was told and what he said in the interview with Puckett & Furness.

So now this guy is throwing out a second "RUMOR." Geesh.

MVP53

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3e4g5dbs said:
MVP53":3e4g5dbs said:
Hawk-Lock":3e4g5dbs said:
twisted_steel2":3e4g5dbs said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JasonPuckett20/status/577916797275406338[/tweet]

This is from Jason Puckett or Clarence Hill?

That's a pretty strong thing to report, that seahawks will match any offer from Cowboys on Hardy.

That is what Clarence Hill was told and what he said in the interview with Puckett & Furness.

So now this guy is throwing out a second "RUMOR." Geesh.

That's how he got the Bennett information in the first place. He was told Seattle would try to match whatever Dallas offered because they likely needed to replace Michael Bennett, who desired to be traded to Atl.

Again, a lot of "shoot the messenger" going on here. He was told something, vetted through other sources, and reported it.

That's kind of what reporters do.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":u4gyqyyj said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/fishsports/status/577957994886918145[/tweet]

Guess now we find out if he really has a visit with Seattle lined up or not.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Sounds like it's almost a done deal in Dallas. Atleast we all have more reason to hate the "boys"

"ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Dallas is the "undisputed favorite" for free agent Greg Hardy.
Schefter says to "forget about Seattle and Tampa Bay being involved." For their part, the Cowboys say Hardy spent "most of the day" at team facilities on Tuesday, and that a deal could be struck as early as Wednesday. Hardy is having dinner with Cowboys coaches on Tuesday evening, and will stay overnight in Dallas." - PFT

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's ridiculous that a reporter etc. can just come out and throw a team name out there as "interested" in a player. Next thing you know, everyone believes it. :?

cacksman

Reaction score
There have been players accused or actually did worse that went on to play their entire careers. It's impossible to tell at this point, what is true or what isn't, but that OTL story is completely and ridiculously one sided. If not for the Ray Rice video, Hardy isn't even on the market, let alone available for a bargain.

The decision comes down to whether PCJS want to take on the media, and backlash that would come from the signing. But Hardy would immediately become the best defensive linemen we have (if he returns to 2013 form), and it's not even close.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
DJrmb":1cg2comw said:
Sooo, then that would confirm what he originally said, she was in it for money...
A bunch of people are stating this like it's the end of the story. Oh, she wanted money? And got it? Case closed. Well, literally that is how our judicial system operates in a case like this.

But it's not the final word on Hardy going forward. The key thing is this: there's no such thing as hush money if there's nothing to keep hush about. Whatever happened in that condo, we'll never know. And Greg Hardy paid good money to make sure you, me, and everyone else will never know.

XxXdragonXxX":1cg2comw said:
If it was a male judge, the same possible bias could exist in the opposite direction. Judges are (gasp) human. That's why most defense lawyers don't like bench trials. A jury is the best way to avoid any potential bias, still not perfect though.

As for paying your accuser off, that is often times a cheaper option, and much easier when you know that your accuser simply wants money.
Yes, judges are human. But you said her being a woman, not a human, was the issue. If a male judge had ruled for Hardy, you would not be here insinuating that the judge's decision was possibly a result of him being male. Never. No way. I won't pretend to know you, so if you disagree I'll take your word for it.

I'm not accusing you of running around hating women. But that "simple" observation belies a prejudiced stereotype that women are less rational than men and more likely to let their emotions affect their work. That kind of bias is perpetuated by seemingly innocent-sounding language all the time everywhere. I want to point it out whenever I encounter it, because often people don't even realize they're doing it.

"Cheaper option" does not cut it. Hardy would have a monster contract right now if the case had no legs. Court costs and legal fees would have been a blip on his guaranteed millions. The judge knew there was enough to let a jury hear both sides and so ruled knowing that Hardy could plead not guilty and get his jury trial. Hardy also knew that he could plead not guilty, keeping him out of jail and giving him time to work out a hush-money settlement. That's just a rich person buying his way out of taking responsibility for whatever he did. Whatever it was, it was bad enough that he doesn't want anyone to know.

MVP53":1cg2comw said:
HawkAroundTheClock":1cg2comw said:
If I were accused of something I didn't do I would not pay the alleged victim to avoid a trial. A fair hearing would exonerate me and I'd sue the alleged victim for court costs, damages (lost wages, or potential wages), defamation, harassment, etc.

Ideally yes, but does the other party have the resources to pay your court costs and lost wages? I rather doubt it. You can sue for anything you want, doesn't mean you're going to get it.

In a case like this, probably more cost effective and quicker to just pay her off, make her go away, and focus on the upcoming season, rather than drag it out in court.
Clearly Hardy wasn't after her money, however much she has. He's the millionaire in this scenario. But if he's in the right and free of wrong-doing, suing would expose her for the "shameless" gold-digger many believe she is. If Hardy was truly innocent, he should sue for the principle of it. The money is negligible, but let her wages be garnished for the next 20 years if need be. THAT is how you teach someone to not make up lies about you. Paying someone to never mention what happened again is the opposite, and calls into question whether they were lies at all.

But if Hardy is in the habit of giving money to people just because they want it, sign me up. I'll take a few grand, nothing too greedy. I have a feeling he wouldn't give it to me though. I don't have information that I could take to court and get him in more trouble with.

cacksman

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1c00trzx said:
It's ridiculous that a reporter etc. can just come out and throw a team name out there as "interested" in a player. Next thing you know, everyone believes it. :?

When it's the most credible reporter as far as Seahawk reporting goes this offseason..

Hyak

Reaction score
The moral high ground on this is amusing. Not just here but like Brock and Salk.

I don't know what exactly transpired between Hardy and the girl but the big problems I have are that no major injuries were reported which contradicted what she said happened and that the victim and her friend were drinking and doing cocaine.

That all said, I don't see anything beyond this with Hardy in terms of incidents other than some traffic tickets.

He may or may not become a Seahawk. But the idea that the organization (or any other team) is made up of choir boys is just not true.

Our OL coach had some well documented assault incidents against an assistant coach and his girlfriend and ex-wife.

Our former QB and current broadcaster has had more than 1 DUI and was on trial for beating and choking his now ex-wife.

Two of our defensive linemen had DV incidents at prior teams.

Leroy Hill had numerous issues in his time here and we all know about Jeremy Stevens.

mikeak

Reaction score
Schefter just said that Hardy is taking a physical with Dallas tomorrow morning.

Yeah he isn't coming to Seattle which helps me decide

I don't want that Domestic abuser on my team (note this is subject to change if he doesn't sign with Dallas)......

Hyak

Reaction score
mikeak":2bb9g5yq said:
Schefter just said that Hardy is taking a physical with Dallas tomorrow morning.

I don't want that Domestic abuser on my team (note this is subject to change if he doesn't sign with Dallas)......

Actually Breer of NFLN tweeted that physicals on FA visits are SOP.

I trust PC/JS - if the price is crazy, it's not worth it. On a 2013 Avril or Bennett deal, sure.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":ez4n9bm4 said:
If it was a male judge, the same possible bias could exist in the opposite direction. Judges are (gasp) human. That's why most defense lawyers don't like bench trials. A jury is the best way to avoid any potential bias, still not perfect though.

As for paying your accuser off, that is often times a cheaper option, and much easier when you know that your accuser simply wants money.
Yes, judges are human. But you said her being a woman, not a human, was the issue. If a male judge had ruled for Hardy, you would not be here insinuating that the judge's decision was possibly a result of him being male. Never. No way. I won't pretend to know you, so if you disagree I'll take your word for it.

I'm not accusing you of running around hating women. But that "simple" observation belies a prejudiced stereotype that women are less rational than men and more likely to let their emotions affect their work. That kind of bias is perpetuated by seemingly innocent-sounding language all the time everywhere. I want to point it out whenever I encounter it, because often people don't even realize they're doing it.

"Cheaper option" does not cut it. Hardy would have a monster contract right now if the case had no legs. Court costs and legal fees would have been a blip on his guaranteed millions. The judge knew there was enough to let a jury hear both sides and so ruled knowing that Hardy could plead not guilty and get his jury trial. Hardy also knew that he could plead not guilty, keeping him out of jail and giving him time to work out a hush-money settlement. That's just a rich person buying his way out of taking responsibility for whatever he did. Whatever it was, it was bad enough that he doesn't want anyone to know.

Man you're putting a lot of words in my mouth.

All I'm saying is that in domestic violence cases, women are generally more likely to side with the woman while men are more likely to side with the man. These types of biases are the reason we have the right to a jury trial in this country. And fact of the matter is that the (male) prosecutor for the jury trial raised concerns about the "victims" testimony because it was inconsistent. That is why he didn't move to enter her testimony from the bench trial into evidence. That lack of testimony is the reason the charges were dropped.

All this trash about me implying women are irrational is ridiculous. And don't sit there and say you aren't accusing me of anything after you straight up called me sexist.

This is my final post on the matter.

jake206

Reaction score
I think this is all agent speak to drive up his market value.

mikeak

Reaction score
JTB":127yrm5w said:
mikeak":127yrm5w said:

Actually Breer of NFLN tweeted that physicals on FA visits are SOP.

I trust PC/JS - if the price is crazy, it's not worth it. On a 2013 Avril or Bennett deal, sure.

Thanks didn't know that about physical

Ok so back to not judging him early

RW92

Reaction score
My first post. Let's get back to the big game again for the third straight year by signing this man who may not be a choir boy, but who has the nastiness that we need on the front line to push that edge on the quarterback. I think that Pete can keep him in check off the field and come November everyone on this board will be excited that the Seahawks signed him.
Hey if anything, we surely don't want to see him on Dallas whom we have to play this coming year in Texas.
Get this man, and now.

ctrcat

Reaction score
cacksman":107xzx9e said:
If not for the Ray Rice video, Hardy isn't even on the market

Not true. It may not be popular with Panther fans, but the decision to let him move on was made long ago and Exhibit A was drafting Kony Ealy. The tag was placed as a one year rental and they were never signing Hardy beyond 2014. Not afraid of doing the unpopular by cutting the best player in franchise history practically in coldhearted fashion, GM Dave Gettleman appears hell-bent on trimming every ounce of fat from the previous GM, drafting well, and having money for Newton/Kuechly and others in the future. While Hardy's wild side (which he's always had) likely didn't help the cause, it has more to do with GM Dave Gettleman's belief he can get better value/risk/reward elsewhere (as opposed to the previous GM giving DE Charles Johnson 6 years, $76 million in 2011). His drafts have been homeruns but only time will if he's right about everything else. Again, Panther fans hate to see him go but the decision was made long before the incident.

cacksman

Reaction score
ctrcat":1toqgy59 said:
cacksman":1toqgy59 said:

Not true. It may not be popular with Panther fans, but the decision to let him move on was made long ago and Exhibit A was drafting Kony Ealy. The tag was placed as a one year rental and they were never signing Hardy beyond 2014. Not afraid of doing the unpopular by cutting the best player in franchise history practically in coldhearted fashion, GM Dave Gettleman appears hell-bent on trimming every ounce of fat from the previous GM, drafting well, and having money for Newton/Kuechly and others in the future. While Hardy's wild side (which he's always had) likely didn't help the cause, it has more to do with GM Dave Gettleman's belief he can get better value/risk/reward elsewhere (as opposed to the previous GM giving DE Charles Johnson 6 years, $76 million in 2011). His drafts have been homeruns but only time will if he's right about everything else. Again, Panther fans hate to see him go but the decision was made long before the incident.

I don't believe this one bit. Do you have anything to back this up besides drafting a pass rusher early, which you can never have enough of?

Having money for Kuechly and Newton is no excuse, Seattle has Wagner, Wilson(who should combine for about as much $$ as Cam and Luke).... and they also have Sherman, Thomas, Chancellor, Lynch, Bennett, Avril, shall I go on and on? All of whom are on their 2nd contracts, and are no longer playing for peanuts on their rookie/bargain free agent contracts.

You don't "move on" from one of the best defensive ends in the prime of his career unless you're the Lions and allow Suh's franchise # to balloon to $27M without a choice. That does not happen.

mikeak

Reaction score
^ anyone that follows the panthers just a bit knows they are in cap shedding mode. So if you won't win for 2-3 years why spend money on a superstar that really disn't equate directly to wins and people in the stand.

Got rid of Steve Smith and completely reloaded all WRs. Went young with veteran Cothcery for cheap.

Maybe they sign Hardy but probably not

ctrcat

Reaction score
cacksman":1qy1ju7s said:
ctrcat":1qy1ju7s said:
cacksman":1qy1ju7s said:

I don't believe this one bit. Do you have anything to back this up besides drafting a pass rusher early, which you can never have enough of?

Having money for Kuechly and Newton is no excuse, Seattle has Wagner, Wilson(who should combine for about as much $$ as Cam and Luke).... and they also have Sherman, Thomas, Chancellor, Lynch, Bennett, Avril, shall I go on and on? All of whom are on their 2nd contracts, and are no longer playing for peanuts on their rookie/bargain free agent contracts.

You don't "move on" from one of the best defensive ends in the prime of his career unless you're the Lions and allow Suh's franchise # to balloon to $27M without a choice. That does not happen.

Most wouldn't move on from the best player in franchise history with no returning starters at WR either, but he did.

While Ealy is Exhibit A and Charles Johnson's $20 million cap hit in 2015 (think about that) would arguably be Exhibit B, the answer is complicated and has many layers. The best place to start would be this article written by Bill Barnwell at Grantland in 2012 if you're really interested in the nitty-gritty. http://grantland.com/features/the-roste ... tent-best/ In other words, after the Hawks had their third consecutive amazing draft laying the foundation in 2012, the Panthers had just been forced to endure moving up in the draft for the likes of Everette Brown, Jimmy Clausen, and Armanti Edwards in recent years.

In other words, the mess inherited by Dave Gettleman in 2013 simply can't be put into words. Hardy himself was a mess, and his off the field issues were the only reason he lasted until the 6th round in 2010 coming out of Ole Miss. His escapades in local hotels and strip clubs in Charlotte spread through those in the know. While maybe not criminal, it may make some question giving a long term deal to him. Incidents like these even made news http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... out-speed/

His history of being a crazy man and Dave Gettleman's complete obsession (rightfully so perhaps?) to rid himself of the previous regime's fingerprints, as well as Hardy/Rosenhaus wanting what was in their best interest had Gettleman looking elsewhere long ago. It was the worst kept secret in the building, and the fact he wasn't signed long term before and was instead given the tag should be the next clue. Doesn't mean he's right, but it was his decision.

The top five salary cap hits in 2015 for each team may surprise you. Johnson $20 mil, Newton 14.6, Kalil 11.7, Davis 9.9, Stewart 8.3. Vs Sherman 12.2, Lynch 8.5, Graham 8.5, Bennett 8, Avril 8. The Hawks have simply done a masterful job in recent years and it's why you guys have been successful and the rest of the league has had to play catch up.

Believe what you wish, but it appears the plan is to have an estimated $70 million next year to not only prepare for Newton and Kuechly, but to perhaps splurge on others inside or outside of the organization. While it was under the radar, Olsen was already signed to a 3 year extension for $22, but the team also thinks very highly of Lotulelei, Short, Benjamin, Ealy, Benwikere, Turner, et al in the future. Many if not most wish Hardy was a part of the plans, but the GM has the final say, and so far he's done a great job steering the ship back to course, winning a couple division titles, and still looking way into the future.

Latest posts