Who will Payton sign or draft as his next franchise QB

toffee

Reaction score
Wilson's days in Denver is numbered, and Payton is there to stay. Let's have some fun and predict the next franchise QB for Denver Broncos? Payton either saw something in Bree the rest of the league at the time didn't see, or he signed him as a bridge but worked out beyond expectation. So far, this is a partial list of QB that Payton worked with, what he has not done was draft a QB and develop into a star.
  1. Eagles:
    1. Ty Detmer
    2. Bobby Hoying
    3. Rodney Peete
  2. Giants
    1. Mike Cherry
    2. Kerry Collins
    3. Jason Garrett
    4. Jesse Palmer
  3. Cowboys
    1. Quincy Carter
    2. Chad Hutchinson
    3. Tony Romo
    4. Drew Henson
    5. Vinny Testaverde
    6. Drew Bledsoe
  4. Saints
    1. Drew Brees
    2. Jamie Martin
    3. Mark Brunell
    4. Joey Harrington
    5. Chase Daniel
    6. Ryan Griffin
    7. Luke McCown
    8. Ryan Griffin
    9. Garrett Grayson
    10. Flynn
    11. Taysom Hill
    12. Teddy Bridgewater
    13. Jameis Winston
    14. Ian Book
    15. Taysom Hill
    16. Trevor Siemian
  5. Broncos
    1. Russell Wilson
    2. Jarrett Stidham

IndyHawk

Reaction score
They have 6 picks but not sure of the order because we have one of their third
for a trade and they gave up this years 2 for Payton.
Can someone post what picks they actually have in order?

keasley45

Reaction score
I think he rolls with Stidham, unless he royaly stinks up the joint. I don't think the Donks have the trade pieces to move up for anyone great in the draft. And, I think Payton is going to want to prove himself right on Russ and display his prowess as a football genius by taking the same offense that Russ ran and getting better returns from it.

Edit :

I think Russ is in the worst spot, because he has 3 former coaches hell bent on showing they are fine without him. Pete sees Geno as vindication for being perceived as short sighted and the beneficiary of Russ' talents (and as guilty for wasting them).

Hackett - we know his feelings

Now Payton - whether it's Stidham or not, he will no doubt be motivated to show the league how good he is and how much Russ held things back.

Last edited:

LastRideOut

Reaction score
I think he rolls with Stidham, unless he royaly stinks up the joint. I don't think the Donks have the trade pieces to move up for anyone great in the draft. And, I think Payton is going to want to prove himself right on Russ and display his prowess as a football genius by taking the same offense that Russ couldn't run and getting better returns from it.

Jville

Reaction score
Smart to take an early look at Stidham in the last two 2023 games and experience some game experience in Payton's offense. The resulting tape will be valuable in preparation for their up coming 2024 season.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Payton was very quick to sign Stidham, I think part of the bench Wilson plan was to see what Stidham can do, if he doesn't completely suck I expect Stidham to have the starting job next season. Even if Stidham plays badly he could well get an established backup, or maybe a rookie to compete with him.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Broncos are better today than they were yesterday with Stidham who will run Paytons offence the way he wants it. The receivers will be much happier.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I think he rolls with Stidham, unless he royaly stinks up the joint. I don't think the Donks have the trade pieces to move up for anyone great in the draft. And, I think Payton is going to want to prove himself right on Russ and display his prowess as a football genius by taking the same offense that Russ ran and getting better returns from it.

Edit :

I think Russ is in the worst spot, because he has 3 former coaches hell bent on showing they are fine without him. Pete sees Geno as vindication for being perceived as short sighted and the beneficiary of Russ' talents (and as guilty for wasting them).

Hackett - we know his feelings

Now Payton - whether it's Stidham or not, he will no doubt be motivated to show the league how good he is and how much Russ held things back.
Nailed it! At this point, one could judge with confidence that Wilson has problems with his HCs and OCs. In case of Pete Carroll, the HC that was 'nicest' to him. Pete received the worst treatment from Wilson, petitioned to the ownership to have Pete fired and replaced by none other than Payton.

So far, Wilson has two college HC, the North Carolina State HC openly not a fan of Wilson. He has three NFL HCs, Payton, Carroll aren't fans of Wilson. Not sure about Hackett.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Bill Walsh was a QB guru, he drafted Ken Anderson and developed him into a star, Montana too. Bill also signed Steve Young and Garcia, both developed into stars. Payton's resume outside of Brees is rather thin, even Bree was a probowler and NFL comeback player of the year before Payton took him on. Otherwise, Payton had Tony Romo, Vinny Testaverde, Kerry Collins, but none owed their success to Payton.

GemCity

Reaction score
I think they’ll be waiting a year. With their lack of draft capital, they’ll have to play the long game.