Status
Not open for further replies.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1dwowq1d said:
MontanaHawk05":1dwowq1d said:
Spin Doctor":1dwowq1d said:
Russell Wilson has poor footwork

I think "poor" is overstating the case. "Poor" footwork doesn't let you complete a single NFL pass. Flawed at a particular style of throw, maybe, but keep in mind that Wilson's deep ball is still one of the best in the league and one of his most-cited strengths.
A lot of times he completes passes in spite of his footwork. His issue is, his feet are always moving. He hardly ever plants even if he has time. I think it is a shell shock issue. He missed a lot of freebe long balls this season.

Didn't miss enough to stop him, apparently.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... m=referral

Hawk1217

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1vp82hzb said:
Hawk1217":1vp82hzb said:
adeltaY":1vp82hzb said:
Hawk1217":1vp82hzb said:
Agreed LOL

Except that NO ONE in this thread is saying he isn't or won't be good enough. There are definitely guys on the board who don't think Wilson is that good, but they aren't posting in thread.

That is open for debate LOL
Anthony, remember why you got banned the first time? You're following the same path. Stop insulting posters for their views. Like seriously. This is getting out of hand.

LOL first off, who is insulting who, calling me someone you obviously have animosity for. 2 I did not insult anyone, All I said it is debatable if some on this thread who don't think he will be good enough. 3rd since your pushing this narrative, it is amazing how for a guy with such flaws and footwork how he has managed to do so well when every expert says you cant without good footwork. Kind of blows the door of your opinion. 4 don't threaten me, like seriously you are getting out of hand.

Fade

Reaction score
PSA: PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE POST & WATCH THE YOUTUBE VIDEO.

Spin Doctor":33eqpssf said:
--> Russ plays nothing like Steve Young did <--
Both powerfully built, both pocess calm CEO like demeanor's, and both are very similar statistically. But they are not alike. Okay, if you say so. And to clarify more Russ is more a hybrid of Steve & Fran skillset wise. If those 2 players could have a baby.

Statistically here are RW & SY best season's as pros. I won't say which is which.

68.1% -- 4024 yds -- 34 TDs -- 8 INTs -- 8.3 YPA -- 110.1 Passer Rating --|-- 553 yds rushing -- 1 rushing TD

70.3% -- 3969 yds -- 35 TDs -- 10 INTs -- 8.6 YPA -- 112.8 Passer Rating --||-- 293 yds rushing -- 7 rushing TDs

The different era argument goes out the window, when you see The O-Line play disparity, and OC quality difference. It balances things out.

[youtube]Ek4SxMkJ8s8[/youtube]
Peep the stats Colin throws up comparing Russ & Steve.

Spin Doctor":33eqpssf said:
--> The thing that should be worrying you as he ages is his lack of development as a pocket passer. <---
--> He is the most flawed elite QB as far as passing fundamentals that I have ever seen. <--

http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-se...umbers-behind-russell-wilsons-historic-season

Russell from the pocket only statistics in 2016

(1st) 118.6 Passer Rating -- 72.8% -- 8.75 YPA -- 31 TDS (only threw 3 TDs outside of the pocket in 2016).

Explain please. I need a good laugh. How does a flawed pocket passer put up these kind of numbers from the pocket (Better #s than all of the elite pocket passers in the NFL) behind a terrible O-Line & a crappy OC?

2017 4th QTR

67.63% -- 18 TDs -- 1 INT -- 134.1 Passer Rating -- 9.4 YPA -- Sacked???..... 3 Times. That is it... just 3 times.

Does this describe a player that is flawed from the pocket to any of you? Running into sacks? Can't see?

1st-3rd qtr he was sacked 39 times. Just look at that disparity and think long and hard about what changed in the 4th qtr.

Russell's ability from the pocket isn't the problem. Bad gameplanning/philosophy is the problem. RW has been bailing out their failed staff for years.

Please explain how a flawed pocket passer puts up those kind of numbers in the 4th qtr of games when defenses are pinning their earsback to stop him because they do not have to defend the run, and is the 2nd highest rated passer of ALL-TIME for his career despite having one of the worst OC's & O-Lines in the NFL his entire career.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
My favorite thing about Russ is how he flat out turns that button on when it counts. Not a lot of QB's can do that. His blatant refusal to accept that a game is over is a very good thing. Look at the NFC Title game vs. the Pack. Down 16 w/barely 5 minutes left and he's telling people they are gonna' win.
As far as what I'd like to see him do more....More check downs and running when it's open for him. I love that he wants to continue the play, but there are times where he just needs to take off. Hopefully Shotty will get him to do those things a little more. Yes, I'm a huge Russ fan, but I certainly can see the things that I'm looking forward to him improving on.

And to borrow from Fade's post, this says it all:

2017 4th QTR

67.63% -- 18 TDs -- 1 INT -- 134.1 Passer Rating -- 9.4 YPA -- Sacked???..... 3 Times. That is it... just 3 times.

3 Times total the entire 16 game season? That's next level.

Hawk1217

Reaction score
Fade":13w4z2ph said:

Spin Doctor":13w4z2ph said:
Both powerfully built, both pocess calm CEO like demeanor's, and both are very similar statistically. But they are not alike. Okay, if you say so. And to clarify more Russ is more a hybrid of Steve & Fran skillset wise. If those 2 players could have a baby.

Statistically here are RW & SY best season's as pros. I won't say which is which.

68.1% -- 4024 yds -- 34 TDs -- 8 INTs -- 8.3 YPA -- 110.1 Passer Rating --|-- 553 yds rushing -- 1 rushing TD

70.3% -- 3969 yds -- 35 TDs -- 10 INTs -- 8.6 YPA -- 112.8 Passer Rating --||-- 293 yds rushing -- 7 rushing TDs

The different era argument goes out the window, when you see The O-Line play disparity, and OC quality difference. It balances things out.

Spin Doctor":13w4z2ph said:
--> The thing that should be worrying you as he ages is his lack of development as a pocket passer. <---
--> He is the most flawed elite QB as far as passing fundamentals that I have ever seen. <--

http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-se...umbers-behind-russell-wilsons-historic-season

(1st) 118.6 Passer Rating -- 72.8% -- 8.75 YPA -- 31 TDS (only threw 3 TDs outside of the pocket in 2016).

Explain please. I need a good laugh. How does a flawed pocket passer put up these kind of numbers from the pocket (Better #s than all of the elite pocket passers in the NFL) behind a terrible O-Line & a crappy OC?

2017 4th QTR

Does this describe a player that is flawed from the pocket to any of you? Running into sacks? Can't see?

1st-3rd qtr he was sacked 39 times. Just look at that disparity and think long and hard about what changed in the 4th qtr.

Russell's ability from the pocket isn't the problem. Bad gameplanning/philosophy is the problem. RW has been bailing out their failed staff for years.

Please explain how a flawed pocket passer puts up those kind of numbers in the 4th qtr of games when defenses are pinning their earsback to stop him because they do not have to defend the run, and is the 2nd highest rated passer of ALL-TIME for his career despite having one of the worst OC's & O-Lines in the NFL his entire career.

NICE!! this should be interesting.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Fade":hb9fdpdx said:

Spin Doctor":hb9fdpdx said:

Spin Doctor":hb9fdpdx said:

2017 4th QTR

Dude, I'm comparing Steve Young's play style. He is nothing like Russ in the regard. Completely different animals in the way that they approach the game. It's an apples to orange comparison. I wasn't even comparing their numbers. You asserted that Wilson is like Young, I said no, his play style is completely different, and said Wilson is more like Fran Takenton. IS THERE ANYTHING WRONG WITH THIS STATEMENT?

Hawk1217

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3kx77p2r said:
My favorite thing about Russ is how he flat out turns that button on when it counts. Not a lot of QB's can do that. His blatant refusal to accept that a game is over is a very good thing. Look at the NFC Title game vs. the Pack. Down 16 w/barely 5 minutes left and he's telling people they are gonna' win.
As far as what I'd like to see him do more....More check downs and running when it's open for him. I love that he wants to continue the play, but there are times where he just needs to take off. Hopefully Shotty will get him to do those things a little more. Yes, I'm a huge Russ fan, but I certainly can see the things that I'm looking forward to him improving on.

2017 4th QTR

This is huge as this is also when he is in complete control of what happens, of the pace and rhythm of the game and often when we go to uptempo. I have often believed one of the biggest issue, other than 4th qtr is the amount of time it takes to get the play in given, you had Bevel and the Run game coach both getting the 2 cents in before the play eve gets to the QB. I am betting that we are off the charts when Wilson gets to the line with over 15 seconds to go on the clock.

Hawk1217

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":nuj32ycy said:
Fade":nuj32ycy said:

2017 4th QTR

Dude, I'm comparing Steve Young's play style. He is nothing like Russ in the regard. Completely different animals in the way that they approach the game. It's an apples to orange comparison. I wasn't even comparing their numbers. You asserted that Wilson is like Young, I said no, his play style is completely different, and said Wilson is more like Fran Takenton. IS THERE ANYTHING WRONG WITH THIS STATEMENT?

Nothing wrong with your statment as its your opinion, I personnel think a little bit of Tark and Young.

chris98251

Reaction score
If Wilson didn't do what he does he would be David Carr or Ric Mirer by now. Wilsons fundamentals were great when he came to the team, bad O line play and breakdowns and shitty OC play calling created bad habits and fundamentals, you could also call them survivability traits, I think all of us hope a better O line and a running game and good QB coaching will bring those fundamentals back to where they should be.

adeltaY

Reaction score
chris98251":2gq3gdsz said:
If Wilson didn't do what he does he would be David Carr or Ric Mirer by now. Wilsons fundamentals were great when he came to the team, bad O line play and breakdowns and shitty OC play calling created bad habits and fundamentals, you could also call them survivability traits, I think all of us hope a better O line and a running game and good QB coaching will bring those fundamentals back to where they should be.

Exactly where I'm at. Love the survival habits description, fits Wilson's situation very well.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I'm waiting for the season to start so we can see what RW is now..
Not 2015 or 17 but the pocket passer praise- that is funny..
I guess I'm confused because I didn't realize after getting the ball
hiked ten yards beyond the LOS and taking 5 more steps back
that if you go forward 3 steps you are stepping into the pocket.
I also could be missing the spin move and juke going forward to
just behind the LOS and lobbing the ball means he stepped up
in the pocket :lol:

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Hawk1217":2zqzismx said:
SoulfishHawk":2zqzismx said:

2017 4th QTR

This is huge as this is also when he is in complete control of what happens, of the pace and rhythm of the game and often when we go to uptempo. I have often believed one of the biggest issue, other than 4th qtr is the amount of time it takes to get the play in given, you had Bevel and the Run game coach both getting the 2 cents in before the play eve gets to the QB. I am betting that we are off the charts when Wilson gets to the line with over 15 seconds to go on the clock.
The 4th quarter stats look great, but if we're going to analyze quarters then we kinda need to look at all of them, and the other 3 aren't so pretty.

1st quarter: 4 TDs, 3 INTs, 14 sacks.
2nd quarter: 4 TDs, 3 INTs, 10 sacks.
3rd quarter: 7 TDs, 4 INTs, 15 sacks.

8 first-half passing TDs vs 18 4th quarter passing TDs.

So yes, Wilson has some gaudy 4th quarter stats, but he wouldn't need to be so heroic in the 4th if he could get it working earlier in the game, and that's where he leaves room for people to criticize him.

Fade

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1vwoljtj said:
Hawk1217":1vwoljtj said:
SoulfishHawk":1vwoljtj said:

2017 4th QTR

The 4th quarter stats look great, but if we're going to analyze quarters then we kinda need to look at all of them, and the other 3 aren't so pretty.

So yes, Wilson has some gaudy 4th quarter stats, but he wouldn't need to be so heroic in the 4th if he could get it working earlier in the game, and that's where he leaves room for people to criticize him.

So 1 of 2 things happened when they got to the 4th qtr then.

A) Russell Wilson magically transformed into a totally different player every game in the 4th qtr.

or

B) Wilson ran an uptempo offense tailored to his strengths, and the team threw the gameplan that failed for 3 quarters in the dumpster.

Based on what happened to the coaching staff in the off-season I think we all know the answer.

The sacks really expose the whole situation. A tale of two different offenses.

Hawk1217

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1vld13sq said:
Hawk1217":1vld13sq said:
SoulfishHawk":1vld13sq said:

2017 4th QTR

OKay, lets do this slow, what happens in the 1st 3 qtrs? Wilson doe snot run uptempo, he rarely gets to the line with 15plus seconds to go, etc etc. Why well because he gets the play very late thanks to the OC, Rc, AC dynamics (something PC said was an issue when he hired the new OC). Now lets fast forward to the 4th qtr when we are usually down and they go uptempo or whatever and Wilson gets to the line with 15+ seconds to go, has time to survey, audible, make changes etc guess what we move the ball and score at will. So yes Wilson has great numbers in the 4thg qtr when he controls more of what is going on, let me remind you The head coaches motto is "You can't win it in the 1st or the 2nd or the 3rd". And the play calling, design, and tempo reflect that. This is where PC leaves room to be criticized by those who understand football, while those who don't try to find scapegoats.

Hawk1217

Reaction score
Fade":1hgiemq1 said:
KiwiHawk":1hgiemq1 said:
Hawk1217":1hgiemq1 said:
SoulfishHawk":1hgiemq1 said:

2017 4th QTR

A) Russell Wilson magically transformed into a totally different player every game in the 4th qtr.

or

B) Wilson ran an uptempo offense tailored to his strengths, and the team threw the gameplan that failed for 3 quarters in the dumpster.

Based on what happened to the coaching staff in the off-season I think we all know the answer.

CORRECT!!

IndyHawk

Reaction score
We have had these debates over first 3 quarters vs 4th for some time.
You can spin it however you like but you can lose the game in those
quarters when your not executing and scoring in them.
I know it's easy to blame everyone but the QB but the fact is he does
have a big hand in how it all goes and can change something if he
doesn't like it but does he?

adeltaY

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2zdafh5c said:
I'm waiting for the season to start so we can see what RW is now..
Not 2015 or 17 but the pocket passer praise- that is funny..
I guess I'm confused because I didn't realize after getting the ball
hiked ten yards beyond the LOS and taking 5 more steps back
that if you go forward 3 steps you are stepping into the pocket.
I also could be missing the spin move and juke going forward to
just behind the LOS and lobbing the ball means he stepped up
in the pocket :lol:

I'm not sure what you're saying. Moving up in the pocket is moving up in the pocket. It doesn't have to look like Brady or Rivers to accomplish the exact same thing. If what you're saying is a criticism then it applies to every single QB who takes a snap from shotgun and a five step drop.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Fade":35xoyhlj said:
KiwiHawk":35xoyhlj said:
Hawk1217":35xoyhlj said:
SoulfishHawk":35xoyhlj said:

2017 4th QTR

or

That's a false dichotomy. There are not only two explanations, and in fact there are many. One could be that Wilson takes more chances because if he doesn't he's going to lose anyway, so he throws into tighter coverage.

It's false logic to resent just two outcomes, particularly when one is just a strawman argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.