Clay Matthews dirty hit

SEAHAWKSTER

Reaction score
There was reason Pete didn't draft him or see him a a weapon as SC cause he is a roided up long haired pretty boy .... if Suh from the lions did that same hit he would of been talked as a the dirtiest player to ever play the game and probally would of been kicked out the game .... but pretty boys helmet to helmet hits to the qb are OK and the broadcasters acted like it was no big deal .... thank god the Superbowl is on NBC I hate aikman and buck they were so pro packers I almost watched the game on mute causes of the packer love fest ... they only reacted to our comeback in a surprise and shocked manner and just kelp saying they still couldn't believe how the packers lost .... that's what yah get!!! god its good to be a hawks fan today!!!!
Go hawks!!!!

BlueTalon

Reaction score
APB":12dua7e5 said:
Had Matthews went for a kill shot, Wilson would still be laying on the ground. He had him dead to rights and Russ never saw him coming. Matthews turned to offer his shoulder pad as the point of impact and hit him square in the chest with the main force of the blow.

There was an incidental glancing blow with the helmet. The main point on impact was the shoulder pad, tho. Last I heard, incidental h2h contact is allowed in football on tackle plays. It happens. Get over it.
Golden Tate took out Sean Lee in a similar kind of against-the-grain block on a defenseless player, and got fined for it. Seahawk fans, including me, were upset because Tate drilled him in the chest plate, and Lee's head moving forward is what actually what caused the contact.

The reality is, though, that it doesn't matter. The way the rule is written, the hitting player is at fault even if the first contact isn't helmet on helmet. If his helmet hits the chest plate and slides into the opposing player's head/neck, it's still a penalty.

In Matthew's case, yes, he did lead with his shoulder a bit. But I don't know how you can watch a replay and not conclude Matthews knew he was going to hit Wilson right in the head. He had his eyes on Wilson, and didn't take them off until he was literally three feet away from him. Wilson wasn't going down, so you can't blame the head-to-head contact on that. The helmet-to-helmet contact was a direct result of where Matthews was aiming to hit.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
Add me to the list of long-time fans concerned about Russell. Folks reading this know that the illegal Clay Matthews hit very likely could have concussed our QB, and the protocol for diagnosis seems to have been to some degree subverted.

I understand that this is at once a violent and wholly volitional sport. No one is forcing Russell Wilson to play it, and I'm sure that he's not surprised at the effects of the game. But those tears and some of his play after the hit were out of character.

My hope is that Russell not only recovers, but suffers little evidence of CTE later in life. I don't want to see this man unravel like Dave Duerson or Junior Seau.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
Matthews will certainly be fined for the hit. Just how much, and if there will be a suspension to start his season next year, is still up in the air.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Clay Matthews : Dirty when he has a clean shot. Total flopping pansy when he is not. No respect for that clown.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
APB":2d0r6phm said:
EMTHawkfan":2d0r6phm said:
Bitch move by Matthews...blindside hit on the QB away from the play...didn't need to happen and it's illegal!!! He knew exactly what he was doing and it was properly flagged...up until today I had thought of him as a good, clean player
Not h2h and not away from the play. Matthews led with his shoulder to block Wilson who was clearly pursuing the runner. Had Matthews truly wanted to destroy Wilson, he could have very easily. He didn't.

clay-matthews-hit-on-russell-wilson-nfc-championship-replay.gif

It's football, folks. You probably celebrated the Browner hit on Greg Jennings a few years ago. This was much cleaner than that hit. And here I thought you Seahawk fans appreciated tough, hard-hitting football...?
Was it clean? Was it dirty? I don't know......All I know is Clay Clay is watching the Super Bowl from his couch. 8)

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":31432az1 said:
I understand that this is at once a violent and wholly volitional sport. No one is forcing Russell Wilson to play it, and I'm sure that he's not surprised at the effects of the game. But those tears and some of his play after the hit were out of character.
Most of his play before that hit was out of character.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
He took Matthews best shot and walked it off.....Like a Boss. Comes back in the 4th and OT to win the game.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
If you were to have Green and Yellow glasses on imagine how the tackle Schoefield did on AR looked like on that TD free play.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
BlueTalon":3g63jnbt said:
Our Man in Chicago":3g63jnbt said:
Most of his play before that hit was out of character.

I've actually consoled myself with that, odd as it might sound.

Sonicsdave

Reaction score
APB":18x1jl5t said:
Laloosh":18x1jl5t said:
Any defensive player in that situation is going to put a big hit on the QB. It sucked to watch but it's football, folks.
Exactly.

No NO NO not every player would target the head like he did. That's the dirty part of this play, Total douchebag play.

Beast Mode

Reaction score
Clay Matthews is mediocre. Probably one of the fakest "tough guys" in the NFL today. Wasn't surprised at that hit one bit, I still remember the time he lit up Kaepernick after he ran out of bounds. He's overhyped and overpaid. Wouldn't be surprised if he took steroids in college to boost his draft stock. Watching him, I cannot believe how one-dimensional the guy is - all he's capable of is rushing the passer. He can't stop the run, he can't cover a tight end. I know he plays in a 3-4 but man, I would take a KJ Wright or a Bruce Irvin over this fraud any day of the week. Can't even compare him to Wagner.

Part of what nearly killed my resolve in that 1st half was watching the Packers try to play the bully. You can't just be physical like an on and off switch, it has to be coached. Green Bay will never be a physical team under McCarthy. Go Hawks.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
APB":1y5o09yk said:
The hit drew a penalty which, if I'm not mistaken, makes it illegal.

So am I to assume from your response thats a clean hit? He wasn't intending to hurt the opposing player? After all, this is the criteria applied to Matthews hit, right?

There was no penalty on Golden Tate for offensive pass interference when he caught the game-winning touchdown against Green Bay a year ago, which, if I'm not mistaken, makes it a perfectly legal play.

So am I to assume from your response that drawing a flag or not drawing a flag is the criterion that makes it illegal or legal? Matthews' hit drew a flag, did it not?

stack55

Reaction score
My favorite play of the game was when Sweezy got the personal foul
For creaming Clay Mathews when he was rolling all over Russell on
That QB sack. I was like yea, way to go Sweezy.

gulliver

Reaction score
If it were just the post-INT hit on RW I wouldn't be that bothered--but you've got to consider Clay Matthews' resume. There was the INT hit, where he led with this shoulder and still ended up clipping RW on the chin (technically face) with the side of his helmet. He dove at a sliding RW from behind and only mistimed his attempt to do damage. And as others have pointed out, his dirty late cheapshot on Aaron Rodgers' knees last week after Aaron threw a pass was one of two cheapshots on AR that game by Clay.

Yes, we all love the LOB hits, but we like seeing Kam collide with Tolbert and knock him backward--but he's also still tackling. Clay doesn't try to tackle half the time--he tries to injure. Clearly he wants to send a message--especially to QBs--and is taking pains to do that by targeting head, neck, knees. Do you think the league would point to Clay as a good example of how to wrap up? No way, because the dude is less about taking you to the ground (proper tackling) and more about trying to concuss and otherwise injure you. Look at his freaking resume just in the last few weeks.

That is the difference.

Hawkfan509

Reaction score
APB":2kq820ju said:
Had Matthews went for a kill shot, Wilson would still be laying on the ground. He had him dead to rights and Russ never saw him coming. Matthews turned to offer his shoulder pad as the point of impact and hit him square in the chest with the main force of the blow.

There was an incidental glancing blow with the helmet. The main point on impact was the shoulder pad, tho. Last I heard, incidental h2h contact is allowed in football on tackle plays. It happens. Get over it.

Shouldn't you be doing draft prep right now?

A

Anonymous

Matthews?

Plays for Green Bay.

Discuss other teams in this forum.

Thanks.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
APB":ukdpq59u said:
Oh please. He hit him with his shoulder while Wilson was pursuing the play. The only reason it WAS called a penalty is because it was a hit against the QB.

Comments like this from fans who celebrate every LOB hit is laughable.

It was a f#$^ing cheap shot, and you're out of your guldamned mind if you think it wasn't.
The intention of that sorry asshole, was to try'n take Wilson out of the game, and as to the LOB hits?, not a one around here or the LOB themselves condone dirty shit plays like that.
You are also mistaken about why it was called a penalty, as any dumb shit that would have taken the time to LISTEN to the Referee's reason for throwing the flag......it was a hit on a defenseless player, not just because he was a Quarterback.
Now, go to hell away you sorry ass loser.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
I think I am in the minority on this one. I would be a hypocrite if I said that hit pissed me off. I didn't think Suh should have been suspended for stepping on Rodgers either. While I don't like to see my quarterback damn near lose his head, I usually only get mad when there is an injury involved.

This is NFL football people. I think a lot of the people who have got a bad reputation for being cheap shot artists are either overly aggressive or have poor technique. I really believe that James Harrison did not have good technique and the NFL nearly ran him out of the league. Kam Chancellor has perfected the clean hit. I just don't think everyone can.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Beast Mode":3uo2qymi said:
Clay Matthews is mediocre. Probably one of the fakest "tough guys" in the NFL today. Wasn't surprised at that hit one bit, I still remember the time he lit up Kaepernick after he ran out of bounds. He's overhyped and overpaid. Wouldn't be surprised if he took steroids in college to boost his draft stock. Watching him, I cannot believe how one-dimensional the guy is - all he's capable of is rushing the passer. He can't stop the run, he can't cover a tight end. I know he plays in a 3-4 but man, I would take a KJ Wright or a Bruce Irvin over this fraud any day of the week. Can't even compare him to Wagner.

Part of what nearly killed my resolve in that 1st half was watching the Packers try to play the bully. You can't just be physical like an on and off switch, it has to be coached. Green Bay will never be a physical team under McCarthy. Go Hawks.
Yeah I was thinking about that hit on KaeperSpaz. It was cheap as it gets.

They actually thought that they were going to play the "physical" card with the Seahawks. The same ones that tangle with the Niners, Cards and Rams 2 times a year.

The same ones that had their RB take about 6 Packers for a ride when they knew that the run was coming.

Matthews isn't even good. He comes after the QB and does it late. When Lynch was meeting the GB DLine and getting a handful Matthews comes in from behind and Buck says "Lynch gets caught by Matthews' speed from behind". He is playing because of a name and if GB wanted to get serious about defense he would be cut.

Latest posts