Clay Matthews dirty hit

false start

Reaction score
What kind of football do you cry babies want to see? Are you lost sounders fans? This is football. In the nfl playoffs. FOOTBALL.

Rogers took a shot on a similar play later in the game. No it wasnt as violent but thems the breaks

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
APB, please list Kam Chancellor fines. Spotrac has the most detailed database I can find and they only list 1 (late hit). They list 4 for Matthews (late hit, roughing the passer, helmet-to-helmet, face mask). So you are wrong. And a troll. And nothing you can ever say or do will change the fact that the Seahawks are playing for their 2nd Super Bowl in a row.

If I'm missing the correct info, let me know where you get your data. I'd appreciate the link.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
false start":127pw602 said:
What kind of football do you cry babies want to see? Are you lost sounders fans? This is football. In the nfl playoffs. FOOTBALL.

Rogers took a shot on a similar play later in the game. No it wasnt as violent but thems the breaks

Its not the fans fault that Roger and the rules committee have rules such as this. I for one don't think it should have been a problem as I think players should be aware of whats around them but you can thank the NFL folks for this, not us fans.

If they are going to have the rule then they should make the effort to enforce it regardless if we feel the rule is dumb or not. The NFL will fine him a small amount and that will be that.

G'aal

Reaction score
false start":2iatnw5w said:

I agree. Most veteran NFL'ers will tell you they think hitting has already been watered down too much. It may have been on the edge, but I think it was ok.

For the record, I have been a Seahawks fan for 25 years, have watched football for over 30 years, and have written about sports (including football) online for almost four years. Point being, I've seen my share of cheap shots. That wasn't one of them.

Msfann

Reaction score
Its the double standard that's the main problem though, that the superstar qb's like brady, manning rodgers etc are protected by the NFL more than other players are and that's not fair.

Maybe the fans of those teams don't see what I'm saying but if you ask the fans of the rest of the teams in the league you'll see they say the exact same thing.

Brady took a tackle to the chest today, was no helmet to helmet or anything, was right after he threw the ball, 15 yard penalty. Wilson gets hit like that 10x a game probably and nothing is called.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
G'aal":16oqhyab said:
I agree. Most veteran NFL'ers will tell you they think hitting has already been watered down too much.
Many of whom would join a class-action lawsuit against the NFL in retirement for not protecting them from concussions enough while having admitted as players that they lied to team doctors to cover up concussion symptoms, by the way.

Let's not just blame the NFL unilaterally, here. Richard Sherman admitted that he covered up concussion symptoms in his first NFL game to get back out there and keep playing, and tons of other players have, as well.

G'aal

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2fbtio33 said:
G'aal":2fbtio33 said:
I agree. Most veteran NFL'ers will tell you they think hitting has already been watered down too much.
Many of whom would join a class-action lawsuit against the NFL in retirement for not protecting them from concussions enough while having admitted as players that they lied to team doctors to cover up concussion symptoms, by the way.

Let's not just blame the NFL unilaterally, here. Richard Sherman admitted that he covered up concussion symptoms in his first NFL game to get back out there and keep playing, and tons of other players have, as well.

That is true, and as you say, it's on both the league and the players. It's like taxes: we all know they have to be paid, we just don't want to be the ones to pay them.

Sprfunk

Reaction score
Watch the game time camera angle on replay at 9:24. Clay did not try to miss Wilson in the least.
#28 of greenbay blocked Wilson slightly out of the way as clay was going for the kill shot. Had he not Wilson would be in a seriously dangerous position. Don't give me that shit comment that he was curling away from him. Total bs.
Also there was another blindside block on kearse by number 28.
We need a gif at that angle.

Sterlinghawk

Reaction score
pmedic920":2znwbaoi said:
We don't like it when our guys get hit but we love it when KAM lays the wood.
This hit was scary, and i wonder if Russ was hurt more than he let on but it wasn't necessarily dirty.
Remember, that's what we want our guys to do, when they can.
Can't complain when it goes the other way.
That's my honest opinion.

No doubt... looked like the hit on Lee that we all thought was clean

shawnsim

Reaction score
Hawks46":33diapg9 said:
JSeahawks":33diapg9 said:
Didnt think it was that bad to be honest. He could have squared up on and killed him if he wanted to.

He did square up. The only reason he didn't kill him was he dipped his helmet and lead with his head. When lead with your helmet you lose vision on the target and many times miss.

He was trying to take Russ out. Period.

What no one else is mentioning is that Russ was already being blocked and was going down. Absolutely a head hunting dirty play.

This. This. And this all day long.

cboom

Reaction score
Great win today in a game our team played poorly in for the most part. I'll take that any day. But this is lame calling out a pretty good player from an opposing team for being cheap. I played football growing up and was lucky enough to play a bit more in college at a small time level. Even in high school the game moves fast and gets faster at every level above that. All that play was, was a football player trying to make a play. Anybody saying any different is a guy that never put the pads on at a remotely high level. We won good game.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
I just worry did RW get a mild concussion. He seemed out of it for about an hour afterwards.

shawnsim

Reaction score
cboom":35lobc31 said:
Great win today in a game our team played poorly in for the most part. I'll take that any day. But this is lame calling out a pretty good player from an opposing team for being cheap. I played football growing up and was lucky enough to play a bit more in college at a small time level. Even in high school the game moves fast and gets faster at every level above that. All that play was, was a football player trying to make a play. Anybody saying any different is a guy that never put the pads on at a remotely high level. We won good game.

Matthews is not a rookie. He knows what's up. He has a history of this crap.

And yes. I put the pads on.

netskier

Reaction score
Concussion is a term for severe brain impairment. Playing quarterback involves many tasks that are undoubtedly more sensitive and can detect less severe impairments of the brain.

I think players brains should protected from injury. Let them breast up the rest of their bodies, but not their brains.

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
APB":3p6txgn3 said:
SomersetHawk":3p6txgn3 said:
APB":3p6txgn3 said:
EMTHawkfan":3p6txgn3 said:
Bitch move by Matthews...blindside hit on the QB away from the play...didn't need to happen and it's illegal!!! He knew exactly what he was doing and it was properly flagged...up until today I had thought of him as a good, clean player
Not h2h and not away from the play. Matthews led with his shoulder to block Wilson who was clearly pursuing the runner. Had Matthews truly wanted to destroy Wilson, he could have very easily. He didn't.

clay-matthews-hit-on-russell-wilson-nfc-championship-replay.gif

It's football, folks. You probably celebrated the Browner hit on Greg Jennings a few years ago. This was much cleaner than that hit. And here I thought you Seahawk fans appreciated tough, hard-hitting football...?

Um, helmet to helmet is clearly the first contact there.
Incidental contact and it was merely a glancing blow with the helmet. He clearly turned to lead with the shoulder. That's football, folks.

You're delusional. His head damn near twisted off. Clay Matthews is a dirty ass player. Kam loves to hit as hard as he can but doesn't head hunt. GTFO of here with that BS. He "dips" is shoulder a little but it isn't to lay off from killing him. He knew exactly what he was doing. Same as last year with the late hit out of bounds on Kaepernick.

Dirty... ass.. player

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
bmorepunk":2b6ak37b said:
Laloosh":2b6ak37b said:
Any defensive player in that situation is going to put a big hit on the QB. It sucked to watch but it's football, folks.

I'll step into the hate fire with you. Most defensive players are going to revel in a chance to make a hit on a quarterback like this who is trying to tackle. It's pretty similar to the Golden Tate blindside on Sean Lee from a couple years ago. It just sucks that Matthews is a giant man and Wilson is a not-so-giant man who is also the quarterback.

I definitely cringed on the first replay.

We absolutely love hard hits on QB and everyone else. But there is a difference. How about Game 1 when Rodgers threw a pick and Bennett shoved his ass. That was awesome, but Bennett didnt try to knock him the eff out.. Big difference...

ivotuk

Reaction score
That hit by Clay was helmet to helmet on Russell Wilson. AND it was blindside hit when Russell was already in contact with another player.

There was zero chance Russell was going to get in on that play but Matthews made a point to try and take out the opposing QB. He's the Hines Ward of defense that takes any chance he's got to get a cheap shot on opposing QBs.

Most of the time, I have no problem with it because it isn't dangerous or illegal shots he's taking, but that helmet to helmet on Russell Wilson was both dirty and unnecessary. He will get a fine and possibly a suspension for the 2015 season.

It's too bad too as Green Bay has been my 2nd favorite team and Clay Matthews one of my favorite players. But shit like that has to stop. I'm still a Green Bay fan, and always will be since they tore a Superbowl victory out of Rapistberger's hands. But I don't like how whiny they get about plays like the "Wail Mary." They're worse than fans sometimes.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1wrbx4mz said:
Got his comeuppance, by way of Sweezy and the result. A hefty fine will top it off nicely.

This ^^^

If he wasn't playing dirty, why did Sweezy go after him so hard despite knowing he'd draw a flag for it.

Latest posts