CJ Procise thoughts

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Well he is eligible for PS. Who is going to steal the gimpy RB that is green as grass from us? The Browns?

Yxes1122

Reaction score
As a fan of Matt Waldman's film room I had serious doubts about Procise when we picked him. Matt saw what I saw and I just didn't see an NFL running back when I watched him. I remember Scottemojo made a comment after the Procise and Vannett picks that they might fit a power spread team because Procise split out wide against a LB is a good mismatch. And we know Bevell loves going 5 wide and throwing to the RB on 3rd and short. (Though we still haven't seen that in preseason).

That is the only hope I have for him as a future starter on the team. In the swiss army knife Percy style role, but I still have doubts because his athleticism is nowhere near where Percy's was. Time will tell, but I still am down on the pick.

That said, Matt Waldman has talked with his personal trainer and Procise is very very green and seems to be working hard to learn. It's a shame he was hurt through TC, he needed those reps more than just about anyone. Maybe he is the next Irvin or Tate. A guy that we suffer through and get respectable right when they are up for a new contract.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
They didn't draft him though to be an orthodox RB.

They drafted him to be a third down guy and do what Fred Jackson couldn't last year. Plus I bet he does a lot of empty backfield stuff because of his background at WR. He's a chess piece, a role player & not an every down RB.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3umaf9ww said:

They drafted him to be a third down guy and do what Fred Jackson couldn't last year. Plus I bet he does a lot of empty backfield stuff because of his background at WR. He's a chess piece, a role player & not an every down RB.

Such a stark contrast though. Fred Jackson was everything Prosise is not: a great pass protector and savvy veteran RB who made very few mistakes and knew what it took to convert a first down. I liked what I saw from Collins in pass protection yesterday. Collins is not in vogue around here, due to people's preference for Pope, but he reminds me the most of Fred.

Basis4day

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":tijs9s26 said:
Well he is eligible for PS. Who is going to steal the gimpy RB that is green as grass from us? The Browns?

The packers stole Chris Harper. We're not cutting Prosise in an effort to get him to the PS.

He'll be on the 53 or IR'd.

Ozzy

Reaction score
kearly":2u89j4uj said:
austinslater25":2u89j4uj said:
I loved his college tape and who knows where he's at after being injured and getting very little practice time and not much work in the preseason. I'm still a believer and we will see what he is capable of in the coming weeks for sure. I'm just not ready to say he's a bust or a lackluster talent before we see more of him.

I hated the pick personally. Part of that was because there were a couple of available RBs who's tape was soooo much better (namely, Kenneth Dixon). Procise looked very raw as a RB at Notre Dame to my eyes and it felt like the kind of pick where you hoped Seattle knew something we didn't. Rees Odhiambo... same story.

That said it's way too soon to judge Procise's NFL career. If he learns the system and stays healthy he can emerge as a nice player. It's worth remembering that Golden Tate stunk up the joint in his first two preseasons before putting everything together. Tate plays a different position, but physically he and Procise share some similar traits.

I appreciate the discussion, thanks Kearly. I may not fully agree but I know when you come to a conclusion its well thought out. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I think English above mentioned him being used in certain situations and I tend to agree. He is going to be motioned out to create an empty set a lot is my guess. He can be a missmatch for opposing linebackers trying to stay with him in coverage.

Anyway good discussion!

Fade

Reaction score
He looks out of shape to me. It might have been just being on the shelf a few weeks with the hamstring, but he looks soft physically for a running back. He needs to get leaner & run meaner.

Mr.Crayola

Reaction score
Prosise has a lot of potential and I trust Seattle in evaluating if he is building towards contributing. His ability to go out wide and match up against a LB could lead to some free yards. I was really hoping he could catch the ball in a trips set on screens and either break a tackle or make the DB miss, but I don't see the acceleration I would like in that role form him. I also think if we keep him in third down the instincts become less important because our line can make bigger holes against a nickel defense. The ability to bounce off tackles and keep his balance (the gyrocope is what Kearly calls it I believe) is so rare and I think this makes him worth keeping. If all else fails the 2017 RB class is DEEP, so lets take a chance on the player with the highest upside of our draftpicks with rare intaginbles. I rambled on a lot there so I hope some makes sense :D, fun discussion.

Seafan

Reaction score
If Prosise can pick up the rusher and protect the QB and be the special 3rd down receiver that Pete had hoped for I see him making the team.

knownone

Reaction score
I'm going to echo the sentiment of those saying it's too early to judge CJ with such a limited sample size.

Let's not forget that CJ is new to RB, it will take time for him to learn the position.

His running style reminds of Matt Forte with a little Shaun Alexander. He doesn't explode or jump out at you like Michaels or Rawls. He's a rare kind of athlete that will make 100-yard games look routine while also making bad games seem predictable.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
There is a weird belief that cutting a player means giving up on them.

Not true. That is one of the benefits of the PS. Yes another team 'could' take him, but then they have to put him on the active 53.

Procise is both hurt and raw. Who is stealing him to give him a roster spot at a position that is notoriously undervalued?

One very purpose of the PS is to develop your talent. Now, some people use PS for added depth, and it is had been shown to be important too but PS is a reasonable place to put your 'not ready for a game' guys.

Sure, occasionally someone steals your Chris Harper (which didn't really work out for them either) but more often than not, you get to carry an important guy for depth that you often NEED. So it makes no sense to keep a guy like Procise or Collins on the active list because they won't do anything but hurt you in a real game that year.

As long as he makes the PS, which he will since nobody wants a RB that cannot even be backup, we can develop him.

chris98251

Reaction score
Procise is a guy that is here for special things, he is raw and known as raw in the RB department, they will work on that, he is more a drafted receiver that can play RB and be used out of the back field on 3rd down, Collins was suppose to be the banger and tough yards and short yardage guy and 2nd to Rawls or take his spot if Rawls could not come back. Michael is the wild card, he was cut, he was brought back because everyone was hurt, earned another shot now creates a dilemma for the team. Pope is what I consider a true change of pace and third down back or a second down back in short yardage where you can mix things up and be unpredictable, he can burst up the middle, go outside, catch the screen, catch a ball in the flat and go from 0 to 60 quickly, defense can't set up for his tendencies because he is that versatile.

Additionally the way Pope has played basically made Brooks expendable, Pope I think did everything they thought Brooks could do and did it faster and better in the system, he is just a bit smaller.

iigakusei

Reaction score
There is a less than zero percent chance the 90th overall pick wouldn't be claimed on waivers.

seabowl

Reaction score
If he weren't a high pick he might not have made the cut.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
hawknation2016":169pzrtm said:
theENGLISHseahawk":169pzrtm said:

Such a stark contrast though. Fred Jackson was everything Prosise is not: a great pass protector and savvy veteran RB who made very few mistakes and knew what it took to convert a first down. I liked what I saw from Collins in pass protection yesterday. Collins is not in vogue around here, due to people's preference for Pope, but he reminds me the most of Fred.

Completely agree about Procise / Jackson.

And surprisingly, I kind of agree with you about Collins / Jackson. Collins shows flashes of being a great pass blocker, and his upright running style is similar in a vague way to Jackson's. The fly in the ointment is that Collins has looked pretty slow and awful out of read option looks and delayed handoffs, which is what he'd see a lot of as a 3rd down back. He also had just 16 catches in college, and had some ugly drops this preseason. But if Collins really mastered the art of pass blocking, I could maybe be okay with him as a 3rd down back, assuming that he rarely touches the football.

What's kind of sad is, Collins looks better in the open field than Procise does. So much for the David Johnson comps for CJ.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
This is part of why I love the preseason. Who would expect Christine Michael and Troymane Pope to look as electric as they have while the three drafted RBs all struggle? You can pretty much expect a handful of surprises every August with this team. It's fun to watch.

Maybe next year it will be Procise and Collins who become the surprises.

Latest posts