Chuck Powell interesting idea - trade Russell

Seymour

Reaction score
jeremiah":1r277i88 said:
The smartest thing Seattle could do would be to trade RW. He has peaked as a player and it is all downhill from here. Seriously, this is a Joe Montana moment, where the best thing to do is to replace him as quickly as we can. Deshawn, hell yea. Quite simply, without a top five O line, he cannot win another Super Bowl. With the amount of money wasted on the QB position, we can't afford a top five O line. The only solution is a tall QB with wheels, the formula that Pete used to win the league in 2013-14 will no longer work. We don't have an O line, no Lynch, too much money wasted on the QB....and may I say the WRONG QB. Say what you will, but RW would make great trade bait, an exciting player for a team on the rise, but as a HOF player or consistent star...NOPE.

You make a very compelling argument, and your proof is undisputable. Kaep is a tall fast QB with great wheels, maybe SF would be dumb enough to trade us straight across?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
jeremiah":zhtjer3a said:
The smartest thing Seattle could do would be to trade RW. He has peaked as a player and it is all downhill from here. Seriously, this is a Joe Montana moment, where the best thing to do is to replace him as quickly as we can. Deshawn, hell yea. Quite simply, without a top five O line, he cannot win another Super Bowl. With the amount of money wasted on the QB position, we can't afford a top five O line. The only solution is a tall QB with wheels, the formula that Pete used to win the league in 2013-14 will no longer work. We don't have an O line, no Lynch, too much money wasted on the QB....and may I say the WRONG QB. Say what you will, but RW would make great trade bait, an exciting player for a team on the rise, but as a HOF player or consistent star...NOPE.
First off Welcome to .net. :2thumbs: With all due respect, franchise QB's don't grow on trees, ask the Browns, Niners, Rams, etc about that. I know folks get tired of reading/hearing this line, but the NFL isn't fantasy football or Madden.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
jeremiah":2qno0j9o said:

Good God. The combine and Free agency and pre draft talk can't get here soon enough. Yes, by all means lets have an all pro line with a Stan Gelbaugh like QB to lead us to the Bowl. Or as the above poster stated a tall QB with wheels. So Cam Newton is available? Or Cam Newton clones are there for the taking in FA or the draft?! Ugh! Russell Wilson is the only franchise QB this team has ever really had. Some people don't know how to appreciate that.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Compare and Contrast 2016 salaries dedicated to OLine and Performance

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-this-season/

Ranking in Performance (with salary ranking in parentheses)

1. Tennessee (21st)
2. Dallas (18th.. although #1 in 2017)
3. Pittsburgh (7th)
4. Green Bay (16th)
5. Oakland (1st)

Ranking in Salary (with performance in parantheses) Cap Dollars

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/2016/offensive-line/

1. Oakland (5th)
2. Philly (8th)
3. Minnesota (29th)
4. Houston (18th)
5. Miami (30th)

Seattle was #32 in both...

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
I wonder how cheap we could get Kaep? Try that this year and use Cleveland's pick on Lamar Jackson next year?

Hyak

Reaction score
The ironies in the compelling argument to trade Wilson in the at best case middle of their championship window given the contracts for their core players.

1. For 2017, it saves no real money against the cap. $ 200 K. Hence the idea of using saved money to compensate for other areas of the team is not valid at least for 2017.

2. What's the QB plan for 2017/2018 with a defense that is getting older? It's a HUGE assumption that replacement QB will be even at 2016 RW production, especially if it's a younger player. What's the win total for the 2016 if Boykin played? Maybe 6 and that's with me being kind.

3. Wilson cannot win without a top 5 OL. When did the Seahawks under Carroll EVER have a top 5 OL?

4. If Wilson has peaked and has diminishing skills, why will some other team be eager to give up the farm for him?

5. Isn't the real issue that the ROI from drafts and FA has SIGNIFICANTLY regressed since 2013? The gap between the starter and backup is too wide at many positions.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
jeremiah":217dlwuv said:
BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH......WRONG!

A

Anonymous

Hawkstorian":1pwa00j4 said:
As it sits right now, he's the 15th highest cap among QBs for 2017. I'm not sure what the issue is. Russell Wilson is still, relatively speaking, a bargain.

Out of all the comments in this thread, this one speaks more loudly. /\

I'll say it again, stuff like this is devil-spawned from the world of fantasy football.

:34853_doh:

canfan

Reaction score
Tical21":3cz7v3ej said:
HawKnPeppa":3cz7v3ej said:
Interesting how narrow the focus has to be to actually make RW look bad, LMAO!

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk
You could argue it that way, or you could say the fanatics will go to great lengths to skew things to draw attention away from his shortcomings.

Use your own eyes. Is it not true that all the feared shortcomings of #3, including blitz identification and execution, progressing through reads, stepping up in the pocket, passing (seeing) in the middle of the field, effectiveness in the red zone, ability to thrive without a dominant running game, ALL became glowingly apparent in this first season without Lynch? I think he'll get through it, but at the very least you have to be alarmed, and think that the dominant running game is probably more vital to our success than anything else, and we need to explore any possible avenue that could bring one back.

I think you need new eyes......and a copy of the 2015 starting lineup. Lynch wasn't in it for long and wasn't effective when he was. The only points I agree with you is that I question his ability to use the middle of the field and I wonder if red zone production will always be an issue for him. This does not make him an expendable player - it just gives him something to work on this off season.

As for the rest of your statement - step up into what pocket? Its easy to run into sacks when you have 3 guys breaking through the line and there is no place to step up. Blitz ID? You can call out the protection, but you can't make a young inexperienced line execute it when they are still trying to figure out the rules of who to hand off to when the D line runs a simple stunt.

If no franchise QB and a lot of money to build a D and a running game is indeed the future, it looks like the 49ers have us right where they want us right now.

Chapow

Reaction score
jeremiah":orqaouzj said:

That doesn't make much sense. If Russ has peaked and it's all downhill from here, why would he make great trade bait?

Also, the "this is a Joe Montana moment" comment doesn't make much sense either. The niners had the luxury of being able to move on from Montana because they had Steve Young waiting in the wings. Do you really think they would have moved on from Montana when they did if the only other QB they had was an UDFA with one year as a back up under his belt and zero meaning playing time at the NFL level?

Anthony!

Reaction score
jeremiah":26uqdi93 said:

thank god you dont run this or any other team. COnsistyant you mean like the last 5 years wow one of the stupidest posts ever

chris98251

Reaction score
jeremiah":2etm5dw9 said:

If I remember Joe led KC to the playoffs also................................................

We have never had a top 5 line under Pete and have been to 2 Super Bowls, and the playoffs all but one year.

Tall fast Mobile QB, so we should trade for Newton, Mariota, Tannehill, Kaepernick, bring Jake Locker out of Retirement, there are just so many to choose from, but don't they all make close to what Wilson makes anyway?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Kaepernick: ($16million cap hit 2016; 19million in 2017; out of contract 2018)
CMP%: 59.2
YDS: 2241
TD: 16
INT: 4
Rating: 90.7

Wilson ($18.5million cap hit.. 18.8 in 2017; 21 million in 2018)
CMP% 64.7
YDS: 4219
TD: 21
INT: 11
Rating: 92.6

Seymour

Reaction score
Tical21":1d0u4e7x said:
I wonder how cheap we could get Kaep? Try that this year and use Cleveland's pick on Lamar Jackson next year?

B6DN1x1CcAAjBIJ0

Optimus25

Reaction score
Wow. I read this post around the second it spawned as a new post and at the time I thought it would die in the abyss of bad posts where you have to wonder if OP is being sarcastic but then they did a bad job of conveying sarcasm. 5 pages and counting now.

I was wrong again.

Largent80

Reaction score
jeremiah":1wbuhkf5 said:

Houston would be more than happy getting rid of Osweiller, which is the QB you are describing.

This may be the dumbest post of the millenium, but Here comes Anthony! or Cry Hawks Cry to out do it.

StoneCold

Reaction score
I was afraid we'd put this thread to sleep. Glad to see it getting revved back up. QB is an over rated position. As I stated earlier and as had been true for the first 50 years of football, passing is passe. #RussellDump

Latest posts