Chris Harper signed by 49ers!!!

Giedi

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":ia7h2ds0 said:
#1) Harper sucks. Glad he's the Niners problem now, though I'm sure they'll soon discover that he can't catch and cut him too.

#2) Some Hawk fans seem pretty insecure when it comes to debating Niner fans. No need to be defensive. It's simple: San Fran has a great team, but Seattle is a lot better:

QB: Push
RB: Hawks
WR: Hawks
OL: Niners - but it's close
TE: Push
DL: Push
LB: Niners
DB: Hawks
ST - Hawks
Coaching: Push
Depth: Hawks
Home Field Advantage: HAWKS
Schedule: Niners

The last one is the only thing that should cause any concern.
There's a lot here I disagree with, but the most I disagree with is the coaching. Quinn and Travis Jones couldn't stop running attacks if their lives depended on it. At least when Quinn was with the 49ers and Jones with the Saints.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Hollywood_and_Vine":17ptparr said:
sutz":17ptparr said:
Seven pages about a 4th Rd pick that didn't make our cut?

Wow. :shock:

Carry on.

:snack:

....and quite a few of the posts are from 9er fans trying to get over on how smart their team is in getting that 4th round pick. if one didn't know any better one would think this is a 9er board.... :49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall:

Who's doing that? All I've seen is people trying to figure out the move and a Seahawk fan trying to make out like Baalke is an idiot.

You might want to look in the mirror before you rant.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Why are these Ninners fans hijacking this thread. It's supposed to be about Harper.

I can't believe how much these guys ruin this place.

davidonmi

Reaction score
it's surprising to me that the 49ers would make this move. He's gonna be a project and I'm not sure they have the roster space to be willing to wait

Vandelay

Reaction score
The 49ers just traded away a 2012 7th rounder to get the Seahawks 2013 4th rounder an a 7th from the Colts. Not terrible, Its not as if Chris Harper doesnt have talent and work ethic. Pete obviously saw something in him to draft him in the 4th. Some WR develop much faster than others an you guys obviously have a few that did that. Chris Harper was offered a spot on the practice squad and the Niners pounced on him and Seahawks did all they could to still retain him. Who knows if Harper will ever be good and who knows if the guys you kept will ever be anything other than preseason wonders. Happens every year.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":cczz5qsk said:
For those of you thinking that secrets of the offensive scheme or specific plays can be divulged from a player leaving the team at this point in the game (no pun intended), you are hugely mistaken. I know it is a thought, so to put it all to rest, I offer this analogy to give some perspective:

The amount of the "playbook" shared with a given draft pick, or prospective player, during OTA's, training camp, and/or in preparation for the pre-season games, is equivalent to the first 8 verses of the book of Genesis, as compared to the entire King James version of the Holy Bible.

About the only information Harbaugh and staff could possibly get out of Harper, is maybe Russell's shoe size.

Non issue.

I am pretty sure he seen the entire playbook or at least 75%. If you are a coach that drafted a rookie that you plan to keep on the team and develop how fast do you want him to learn? I bet he seen the entire playbook or at least 75% like I said. I am sure the Hawks asked for those playbooks back, let's just hope he didn't copy them and take it with him to San Francisco

Marvin49

Reaction score
HighlandHawk":36zrnyfh said:
Wonder if there is anyone good enough on the 49ers practice squad to make our 53 man....

nah...

Not since the Chiefs and Browns raided their waiver claims. Sigh.

Marvin49

Reaction score
dopeboy206":3pkb0eh1 said:
HoustonHawk82":3pkb0eh1 said:
For those of you thinking that secrets of the offensive scheme or specific plays can be divulged from a player leaving the team at this point in the game (no pun intended), you are hugely mistaken. I know it is a thought, so to put it all to rest, I offer this analogy to give some perspective:

The amount of the "playbook" shared with a given draft pick, or prospective player, during OTA's, training camp, and/or in preparation for the pre-season games, is equivalent to the first 8 verses of the book of Genesis, as compared to the entire King James version of the Holy Bible.

About the only information Harbaugh and staff could possibly get out of Harper, is maybe Russell's shoe size.

Non issue.

I am pretty sure he seen the entire playbook or at least 75%. If you are a coach that drafted a rookie that you plan to keep on the team and develop how fast do you want him to learn? I bet he seen the entire playbook or at least 75% like I said. I am sure the Hawks asked for those playbooks back, let's just hope he didn't copy them and take it with him to San Francisco

It really doesn't matter. Its not like there is anything earthshattering in a playbook.

The only thing that would concern me (and 49ers are in worse shape with Tolzien in GB) is if he were involved in game planning...which I'd assume Harper isn't

Ninerguy

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":tphvy34l said:
#1) Harper sucks. Glad he's the Niners problem now, though I'm sure they'll soon discover that he can't catch and cut him too.

#2) Some Hawk fans seem pretty insecure when it comes to debating Niner fans. No need to be defensive. It's simple: San Fran has a great team, but Seattle is a lot better:

QB: Push.....Ok
RB: Hawks.....close but ok
WR: Hawks....Niner WR core is better than you think and will be much better when mannigham and Crabs come back
OL: Niners - but it's close....ok
TE: Push....What?...Niners are better and its not close
DL: Push.....wow, Your Dline is equal to Niner DL? most of your dline is not even healthy
ST - Hawks...I would call this a push

Ninerguy

Reaction score
HighlandHawk":1v79hi8s said:
Wonder if there is anyone good enough on the 49ers practice squad to make our 53 man....

nah...

3 of the Niners players going to practice squad were purged by other teams, so your to late!

rideaducati

Reaction score
Giedi":2lqtu6zm said:
Thunderhawk":2lqtu6zm said:

ST - Hawks

There's a lot here I disagree with, but the most I disagree with is the coaching. Quinn and Travis Jones couldn't stop running attacks if their lives depended on it. At least when Quinn was with the 49ers and Jones with the Saints.

Do you think it might have had something to do with personnel as to why their teams couldn't stop the run? I do. I know thinking that way might be too deep for a niner fan to comprehend, so I won't hold that against you.

As to coaching being a push... It's not even close. Pete Carroll is far and away the better coach. Add in talent evaluation, people skills, willingness to adapt and change and Pete separates himself even further.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Ninerguy":yc86say5 said:
HighlandHawk":yc86say5 said:

nah...

3 of the Niners players going to practice squad were purged by other teams, so your to late!

None of them by the Seahawks. So, no, they aren't good enough to make OUR 53 man roster.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":3p6gqeku said:
Giedi":3p6gqeku said:
Thunderhawk":3p6gqeku said:

ST - Hawks

Do you think it might have had something to do with personnel as to why their teams couldn't stop the run? I do. I know thinking that way might be too deep for a niner fan to comprehend, so I won't hold that against you.

As to coaching being a push... It's not even close. Pete Carroll is far and away the better coach. Add in talent evaluation, people skills, willingness to adapt and change and Pete separates himself even further.

warning: homer alert.

Tical21

Reaction score
I think they're now the San Francisco Cut Trash.

kearly

Reaction score
#1: Insight into Seattle's playbook is obviously a factor here. Harper is the 3rd, or is it 4th former Seahawks WR that SF has signed since the end of last season?

#2: Harper is talented enough to merit a roster spot on most teams, particularly a team as desperate at WR as SF.

#3: FWIW, I did hate the Harper pick, but I like him more now than I did when they drafted him. I was hoping he'd last on the PS. He may have looked raw this preseason, but he was polished compared to where he was at KSU. I think we saw some progress from him, even with all the drops at the end. Golden Tate was once an even worse WR in the preseason and look where he is now.

#4: Seattle's track record at WR is actually pretty awesome, IMO.

-Golden Tate was a quality 2nd round pick.

-Doug Baldwin was a UDFA steal, and that's part of the draft process.

-Kearse might be another.

-Sidney Rice has played very well for us. Count me in on those who think he's worth his cap hit.

-They attempted to trade for both Vincent Jackson and Brandon Marshall. Jackson had almost 1400 yards last year and Marshall had 1500+ and their play is as pretty as their stats. Those were good trade targets to go after.

-They've had some good results with reclamation projects (Mike Williams, Stephen Williams).

Sure, they whiffed on Durham and they passed on a ton of good WRs to take Harper. Seattle likes to gamble on upside and you won't bat 1.000 when you do that.

Marvin49

Reaction score
for the record...

Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN 2m
Source: The 49ers signing of WR Chris Harper off the Seahawks practice squad is officially official.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":3myj4un3 said:
#1: Insight into Seattle's playbook is obviously a factor here. Harper is the 3rd, or is it 4th former Seahawks WR that SF has signed since the end of last season?

#2: Harper is talented enough to merit a roster spot on most teams, particularly a team as desperate at WR as SF.

#3: FWIW, I did hate the Harper pick, but I like him more now than I did when they drafted him. I was hoping he'd last on the PS. He may have looked raw this preseason, but he was polished compared to where he was at KSU. I think we saw some progress from him, even with all the drops at the end. Golden Tate was once an even worse WR in the preseason and look where he is now.

#4: Seattle's track record at WR is actually pretty awesome, IMO.

-Golden Tate was a quality 2nd round pick.

-Doug Baldwin was a UDFA steal, and that's part of the draft process.

-Kearse might be another.

-Sidney Rice has played very well for us. Count me in on those who think he's worth his cap hit.

-They attempted to trade for both Vincent Jackson and Brandon Marshall. Jackson had almost 1400 yards last year and Marshall had 1500+ and their play is as pretty as their stats. Those were good trade targets to go after.

-They've had some good results with reclamation projects (Mike Williams, Stephen Williams).

They whiffed on Durham and they passed on a ton of good WRs to take Harper. Seattle likes to gamble on upside and you won't bat 1.000 when you do that.

What do you think of the Niners seeing him as possibly another project as a TE/H-Back/Swiss army knife like Delanie Walker? Combined with losing Gray to the Browns on waivers, that makes this whole thing make ALOT more sense.

As for your first point....Look, Seattle has a talented roster. They are prime for teams to picking up their players. Both Seattle and SF lost players to waivers because they were waiving good players.

The only thing that's oddball here is that its after the initial waiver claim period...and again, that has more to do with losing Gray than anything else.

chris98251

Reaction score
It's about the change of how were operating our system, they seen Mike Robinson in the back field last season, now were moving guys all around and using multiple looks. Harper would have insight into that. Yes he's a project but a good gamble, I still think this is about insight and a poke in the eye to the Seahawks, yeah Harbaugh is a all about the Jedi mind trick, he's deal with Seneca Wallace this year to get McCoy on the cheap and his whole thing with Alex Smith is another example.

As far as 49er fans trying to justify it, we have seen to many times where the 49ers have grabbed guys before games with key opponents only to cut them shortly after the games.

Latest posts