Chris Harper signed by 49ers!!!

JustTheTip

Reaction score
All of you saying they did it for the play books have to be wrong. Harbaugh has clearly stated in his press conferences that he is disgusted by cheating (in reference to several Seahawks being suspended for PEDs), so obviously his intentions are pure.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
Danny 710ESPNSeattle ‏@BrocknDanny 40m
The #Niners see Chris Harper as a Delanie Walker-type player in their system.

https://twitter.com/BrocknDanny

That's interesting. Are we thinking about converting him into a TE/H-Back

He was a RB before making the transition to WR. Delanie Walker was a WR in college before becoming a TE

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Bitter":2qsw7jxd said:
All of you saying they did it for the play books have to be wrong. Harbaugh has clearly stated in his press conferences that he is disgusted by cheating (in reference to several Seahawks being suspended for PEDs), so obviously his intentions are pure.

Pure as a priest.

Reaction score
Bitter":3alnh6yk said:

Asking players to divulge what they know from their previous scheme isn't cheating, it's part of football. Taking steroids, on the other hand, is cheating.

Someone needs to make a lookup table for you guys on what is breaking rules and what is perfectly legal.

mretrade

Reaction score
It wouldn't be cheating if that was the reason but I doubt that was the reason. The Packers just signed a QB that was with us for 2 or 3 years and we play them week 1.

polarbill1999

Reaction score
I am not sure why this is a big deal to anybody other than coming from the point of view that the pick was a swing and a miss in the 4th round. Chris Harper was probably our 8th best receiver before the cuts. He basically never showed anything and when he had the opportunity to in the 4th preseason game he blew it. If the best the niners can do at WR is our 8th best receiver than so be it. Shows how crappy their WR core is.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
QuickLightning":3ji3lxjd said:
Bitter":3ji3lxjd said:

Asking players to divulge what they know from their previous scheme isn't cheating, it's part of football. Taking steroids, on the other hand, is cheating.

Someone needs to make a lookup table for you guys on what is breaking rules and what is perfectly legal.

Someone needs to explain the difference to you between "legally okay" and "ethically okay" first.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":296vd1zm said:
Danny 710ESPNSeattle ‏@BrocknDanny 40m
The #Niners see Chris Harper as a Delanie Walker-type player in their system.

https://twitter.com/BrocknDanny

That's interesting. Are we thinking about converting him into a TE/H-Back

He was a RB before making the transition to WR. Delanie Walker was a WR in college before becoming a TE

Now THAT would make a lot of sense after the Niners lost TE Gray to the Browns. They wouldn't have known for sure they were going to lose him until after waivers so that could also explain why they waited till now to make the move.

Reaction score
polarbill1999":1ybhlkmm said:
I am not sure why this is a big deal to anybody other than coming from the point of view that the pick was a swing and a miss in the 4th round. Chris Harper was probably our 8th best receiver before the cuts. He basically never showed anything and when he had the opportunity to in the 4th preseason game he blew it. If the best the niners can do at WR is our 8th best receiver than so be it. Shows how crappy their WR core is.

WRs generally take 2 to 3 years to develop, outside of all stars drafted in the early rounds. Shows how long you have watched football though. Even Golden Tate took time to develop or were you not a fan when he was drafted?

Happypuppy

Reaction score
He showed nothing. proFootball Focus had his preseason rating as -2 good for the bottom 20%. I realize it takes longer to develop for most at receiver but they have flashes in the Pre season like Tate did if they stay

The receiving situation is so bad in SF at WR they are dumpster diving. We picked up 2 very good players off waivers from AZ now on our roster. This sort of thing happen all the time. They only difference was he was on our practice squad

Jac

Reaction score
themunn":dovqtccu said:
godawg":dovqtccu said:
Our drafting Harper instead of Patton doesn't look like a great move now that we can look back on it. I love our FO, but other than Golden Tate, our drafting of WRs has not been flawless. Right after this pick, which Kearly hated, I was called "silly" for posting: "With Kris Durham and others, this FO has not distinguished itself in choosing receivers, and perhaps Kearly has a better eye for this than John Schneider." Now that Harper is a Niner, I'm hoping Kearly was right.

Patton wouldn't have made it onto our 53 either

Yeah, that's the thing. Harper 'would of/could of' had a roster spot for a year or two under normal circumstances. But Kearse and Williams beat everybody out for the #4 and #5 spots. And this is before Harvin comes back into the picture. Any 'non-first round' type receiver would have had the same story. Get beat out for the #4/5 spot because Kearse/Williams had great (in-game) preseasons...and any WR with potential would get signed off the practice squad.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
Do you guys think Harper can make the transition to TE. It looks like that is why we are doing this

drdiags

Reaction score
heffmanhere":utl64gzq said:
I'm pretty sure any player inn the league on the week one roster has their salary for the entire season guaranteed. Period.

Vested veterans with 4+ years is what I read.

mretrade

Reaction score
^^ I think he will stay at WR but be used as a TE type.

Ian Rapoport ‏"Why do #49ers like WR Chris Harper? He's 6-1, 234 and they can use him kinda like they used Delanie Walker last year. Matchup problem."

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":xg83gzv3 said:
Do you guys think Harper can make the transition to TE. It looks like that is why we are doing this

Well, we need TE depth, and we didn't test that out at all. Seems unlikely?

That said, he is probably as good of a TE as he his a WR right now.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Happypuppy":26yd8u6h said:
He showed nothing. proFootball Focus had his preseason rating as -2 good for the bottom 20%. I realize it takes longer to develop for most at receiver but they have flashes in the Pre season like Tate did if they stay

The receiving situation is so bad in SF at WR they are dumpster diving. We picked up 2 very good players off waivers from AZ now on our roster. This sort of thing happen all the time. They only difference was he was on our practice squad

It sounds more like they see him as a TE/H-Back in the mold of Delanie Walker, not a WR. He's actually build very similar to Delanie when he came out.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
QuickLightning":1zc1x69e said:
Bitter":1zc1x69e said:

I would think, outside of the NFL rules, it would be unlawful in the same way as a Samsung employee jumping ship to Apple and using Samsung proprietary information to improve the Apple product. At any rate, as somebody else mentioned, it is unethical and can certainly be considered cheating. And yes, I understand that every NFL team does it. Just like every NFL team has players who are using PEDs. All part of the point I was trying to make, but apparently some people needed it spelled out for comprehension.

Jville

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":1abo1csc said:

I think San Francisco will try him as an H-back.

I look at it as a Chris Harper replacement for former Seahawk Cameron Morrah .... who didn't work out.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Jville":ptcbwgv0 said:
SoHo9erFan":ptcbwgv0 said:

I think San Francisco will try him as an H-back.

I look at it as a Chris Harper replacement for former Seahawk Cameron Morrah .... who didn't work out.

Morrah was also a niner wasn't he?

Fanatics

Reaction score
I don't think this is for playbooks or anything else, it is for sure to force the hand of our FO. By trying to sign Harper, the 49ers and making us drop someone from our 53, which was obviously valued higher. It will be interesting to see what happens here.

As for TE, that could be as Harper has some of the widest shoulders I have ever seen in a WR. Actually in college he would just go down about 10-15 yards, do a quick curl and the DB could not get through/around him because he is so wide. The problem for them will be whether he can really block like a TE, as they already have Davis and rookie McDonald, so you would think a 3rd TE will only serve as a blocking TE. And also, how many big receivers do they need...Vernon, McDonald, Boldin, Baldwin...geez