Chris Harper signed by 49ers!!!

Barthawk

Reaction score
NorthwestSportsFan":ub9ode72 said:
First off, I'm not worried in the least. I wasn't impressed at all with Harper in the preseason. My preference is that the Hawks just let him go. I don't want to see us cut anyone else to keep him.

Second, I believe a PS player is basically able to negotiate as a free agent with any team, so the only way to keep him is to offer more and place him on the 53, which requires we cut someone else. You can't pay him more and keep him on the PS because the weekly pay is the same across the league and set in the CBA.

Third, I think the 3 week rule is related to paying them for three weeks, not that he'd be stuck on the roster for three weeks. So, if the 49ers dropped him after our game they could do that but they'd also have to pay him for another week.

I could be wrong, but the purpose behind the PS rule was to make the gaining team use an active roster spot as well as the salary. Do you think that teams would care if they were able to sign guys from another team and then have to eat a few game checks to do so? I doubt it, but when they have to dedicate one of the precious 53 for a 3-4 weeks they have to be damn sure they want to do the deal.

BadGuy711

Reaction score
This has far more to do with their desperation to improve the WR spot than Harbag having some ulterior motive to learn the Hawks playbook or screw Seattle

NorthwestSportsFan

Reaction score
You could be right, barthawk. Either way I doubt this is why the 49ers made the claim. Their defensive coaching staff already knows more about the Hawks offense than a struggling rookie would. They did this because they're struggling at WR, pure and simple.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2nxnrmnk said:
Vandelay":2nxnrmnk said:
Its not a done deal, just reported my Maiocco that Seattle trying to keep him

G'bye Morgan?

I highly doubt Mike Morgan is on the first one to be cut list... not many of our guys can play all LBer spots as well as LEO plus be a ST ace while possessing the length factor this team loves being about 6-3 with 34 5/8th inch Arms . And from what I read , Quinn and Carroll both think of Morgan in high regard as a smart, versatile, consummate team player.

Killa Kam

Reaction score
BadGuy711":15met416 said:
This has far more to do with their desperation to improve the WR spot than Harbag having some ulterior motive to learn the Hawks playbook or screw Seattle

Yeah but why would SF let him sign onto our practice squad and then go after him? They could have just claimed him after he was cut and not even have to worry about Seattle still getting a chance to retain him. Harbaugh and the Whiners aren't slick :stirthepot:

NorthwestSportsFan

Reaction score
Herein lies the problem. Who do you cut in order to keep him? The only person I would consider cutting to keep Harper would be Lotu. I know many around here like him (and obviously JSPC do), but I personally think he's a bit overrated. Other than him, I would be disappointed if we cut anyone else to keep Harper. So, who would you cut in order to keep him? Can't think of anyone? Then it's time to let him go.

BadGuy711

Reaction score
Killa Kam":21a7adu9 said:
Yeah but why would SF let him sign onto our practice squad and then go after him? They could have just claimed him after he was cut and not even have to worry about Seattle still getting a chance to retain him. Harbaugh and the Whiners aren't slick :stirthepot:

As I've read others say, Seattle never announced their practice squad. It still has not been confirmed he signed with them.

godawg

Reaction score
Our drafting Harper instead of Patton doesn't look like a great move now that we can look back on it. I love our FO, but other than Golden Tate, our drafting of WRs has not been flawless. Right after this pick, which Kearly hated, I was called "silly" for posting: "With Kris Durham and others, this FO has not distinguished itself in choosing receivers, and perhaps Kearly has a better eye for this than John Schneider." Now that Harper is a Niner, I'm hoping Kearly was right.

Reaction score
Barthawk":2er1eq2n said:
NorthwestSportsFan":2er1eq2n said:
First off, I'm not worried in the least. I wasn't impressed at all with Harper in the preseason. My preference is that the Hawks just let him go. I don't want to see us cut anyone else to keep him.

Second, I believe a PS player is basically able to negotiate as a free agent with any team, so the only way to keep him is to offer more and place him on the 53, which requires we cut someone else. You can't pay him more and keep him on the PS because the weekly pay is the same across the league and set in the CBA.

Third, I think the 3 week rule is related to paying them for three weeks, not that he'd be stuck on the roster for three weeks. So, if the 49ers dropped him after our game they could do that but they'd also have to pay him for another week.

I could be wrong, but the purpose behind the PS rule was to make the gaining team use an active roster spot as well as the salary. Do you think that teams would care if they were able to sign guys from another team and then have to eat a few game checks to do so? I doubt it, but when they have to dedicate one of the precious 53 for a 3-4 weeks they have to be damn sure they want to do the deal.

No, you can cut them after 1 week. They just have to get the three weeks' pay.

If a practice squad player is signed to the active roster, they will receiver a minimum of three paychecks, even if they are released before spending three weeks with the team.

heffmanhere

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure any player inn the league on the week one roster has their salary for the entire season guaranteed. Period.

So, yes, they can cut Harper or anyone for that matter at any time, but they'd be obligated to pay his salary for the entire year regardless of what they do or do not do with him.

As for the move itself, it is a lame desperation move by SF to get a glimpse into our playbook for that game in week two. It also speaks volumes about the current crop of their wide-outs. Let him go. next man up.

HereToRead

Reaction score
Killa Kam":3itgbqua said:
BadGuy711":3itgbqua said:

maybe they signed him to a 1 year deal, instead of wanting to take on his 4 year contact by claiming him on waivers??????

mretrade

Reaction score
Harper probably will be cut after Manningham and Crabtree comeback. I find this signing funny. Its like it was done only to troll Seahawk fans although I doubt that is the truth.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
NorthwestSportsFan":33ztfghu said:
"------

------

Third, I think the 3 week rule is related to paying them for three weeks, not that he'd be stuck on the roster for three weeks. So, if the 49ers dropped him after our game they could do that but they'd also have to pay him for another week."

Nope he is stuck on their roster for 3 weeks, they have to save his spot on their 53 for that time.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Once someone is on a teams PS it is their choice to sign with another team, right? It's not like an automatic claim and sign?

If that is the case, Harper is kinda a punk (non shack language). It tells me he never bought in.

Also really weak move by harbaugh. Why wouldn't they have just claimed him yesterday? Wait until we set our guys and say, ok, cherry pick time.

Either way, Harper is terrible, so it's no biggie. Just don't like seeing it go down this way.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
You know Slimball Harbaugh is only signing him to get info on our offensive playbook

joeseahawks

Reaction score
exactly.
Green Bay has signed Seneca Wallace, who was released by 49ers ...
What's going on in football?
dopeboy206":1sa83dkz said:
You know Slimball Harbaugh is only signing him to get info on our offensive playbook

Stephen SeaHawking

Reaction score
1. This has nothing to do with his ability as a football player.

2. This is all about getting insight into the Hawk's playbook.

I fully expected the Harbaugh and the 49ers to sign a player for this express purpose. I predicted it would be Winston Guy, but Harper makes sense.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Either the niners draft so badly that every year our leftover WR:s just make their 53 or then they use Lockette and Harper to get our playbook. Either way, Jim Harbaugh looks like a douche.

Latest posts