Chris Harper signed by 49ers!!!

HereToRead

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":10zf0hk0 said:
Once someone is on a teams PS it is their choice to sign with another team, right? It's not like an automatic claim and sign?

If that is the case, Harper is kinda a punk (non shack language). It tells me he never bought in.

Also really weak move by harbaugh. Why wouldn't they have just claimed him yesterday? Wait until we set our guys and say, ok, cherry pick time.

Either way, Harper is terrible, so it's no biggie. Just don't like seeing it go down this way.

i really think it is because they wanted him to sign on their terms and not have to take on his 4 year deal. thats the only reason i can come up with.

sutz

Reaction score
If Harper were a QB, I'd think maybe the 9ers were after tips on our playbook. A #6 WR? Not so much.

:laugh: at some of the comments. Hey, the kid has promise, but we just didn't have room for him. We should be looking forward to his being re-introduced to the LOB. :)

Decimation

Reaction score
Take him. Dude sucks. But what do I know, I'm no coach/scout.

I'll take Kearse and Williams all day any day over Harper. They actually made some noise this preseason.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
sutz":220soldi said:
If Harper were a QB, I'd think maybe the 9ers were after tips on our playbook. A #6 WR? Not so much.

:laugh: at some of the comments. Hey, the kid has promise, but we just didn't have room for him. We should be looking forward to his being re-introduced to the LOB. :)

He won't even be active on game days for them. So, I don't think the lob will get a chance to rattle his brain.

mretrade

Reaction score
The kid clearly needs time to develop in this league. From what I have read he is big and has above average speed. Its not every day you can claim someone with his skilset in his rookie year. I imagine he was somewhere on the 49ers draft rankings and probably why they claimed him. It will be interesting to see how long he stays on the roster and if he will be even activated on game days. He is going to be the 6th receiver to start with Manningham and Crabtree on PUP.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
We knew the Niners were going to jump all over the receivers we cut, no matter who they were. Seriously, no matter who we cut, they were going to be picked up by the 49ers.

It's not a surprise, many people on here have been saying that all preseason.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
HereToRead":i4j89q2j said:
Coug_Hawk08":i4j89q2j said:
Once someone is on a teams PS it is their choice to sign with another team, right? It's not like an automatic claim and sign?

If that is the case, Harper is kinda a punk (non shack language). It tells me he never bought in.

Also really weak move by harbaugh. Why wouldn't they have just claimed him yesterday? Wait until we set our guys and say, ok, cherry pick time.

Either way, Harper is terrible, so it's no biggie. Just don't like seeing it go down this way.

i really think it is because they wanted him to sign on their terms and not have to take on his 4 year deal. thats the only reason i can come up with.

Who are we kidding? IT IS FOR OUR PLAYBOOKS. That is the only logical answer I can come up with. It's not like he'll probably get playing time for them anyways. Not to mention he is a former QB so his knowledge of play recognition and playbook memories is better than your average rookie I'd assume.

Reaction score
jammerhawk":nplbfm7r said:
NorthwestSportsFan":nplbfm7r said:
"------

------

Third, I think the 3 week rule is related to paying them for three weeks, not that he'd be stuck on the roster for three weeks. So, if the 49ers dropped him after our game they could do that but they'd also have to pay him for another week."

Nope he is stuck on their roster for 3 weeks, they have to save his spot on their 53 for that time.

Where are you reading that? You seem to be grossly mistaken.

Reaction score
TwilightError":2mo15pv4 said:
Either the niners draft so badly that every year our leftover WR:s just make their 53 or then they use Lockette and Harper to get our playbook. Either way, Jim Harbaugh looks like a douche.

Kinda like Carroll and Brett Swain? Pointing fingers about a tactic that every team in the NFL uses is just silly.

mretrade

Reaction score
Its not the playbook.

Chris Harper is basically like acquiring another draft pick. The kid is talented even though he seems to have stone hands. A lot of the players being cut have had the tires kicked a half dozen times by now. You don't get a 4th round draft pick at WR in his rookie year very often. I bet he was on the 49ers draft board behind Quinton Patton and that is probably why we signed him.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I highly doubt this is about getting into the 'hawk playbook. I doubt they would expect more from a rookie WR who was just learning the offense than they already know watching film. I also highly doubt they've started any game-planning which is why I'm not too concerned with Tolzien and Wallace in GB.

This was about a player they probably had interest in at draft time and decided to take a flyer on him. If it doesn't work out they just release him when Manningham and Crab come back.

No conspiracy here.

As for the Niners "robbing" the seahawks roster....it happens everywhere. Niners had hoped to sneak three players in particular through waivers...TE Gray, and CBs Cooper and Morris. Only Morris made it through. KC Claimed Cooper and the Browns got Gray. SIX FREAKIN TEAMS claimed Gray.

This is just what happens when you are a good team...other teams pay more attention to your castoffs.

As for why Niners waited for him to clear waivers? I can only assume it was to avoid the guaranteed portion of his contract...however small that may be.

UPDATE: Looks like 49ers are trading OLB Cam Johnson to the Colts. That may be the roster spot Harper takes. Team was heavy at OLB. Reporting out her BTW that Harper deal still not complete.

Reaction score
They just traded away Cam Johnson to make room. A nice move by Harbaugh keeping him for extra draft ammo.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1l66tr5m said:
Oh well. Next man up. Welcome back, Phil Bates.

Also, I believe Harper has to be their roster for at least 3 games before they can cut him. Its funny since Harbaugh came into the NFL... he's been leeching Seahawk players... Lockette and LeGree come to mind and now Harper. Martin briefly.

All the 9er players Seahawks brought were in 2010... M-Rob and Kentwan Balmer in a trade... I want to say for Lawrence Jackson.

Then there is the Maragos who was signed undrafted by Scot McLoughin (sp?) also in 2010. But Maragos became a Seahawk in 2011.

And Brett Swain who was a 49er in 2011 but was drafted when JS was still part of the Packers FO. And he was just cut.

So so far no Harbaugh influenced 49er has touched a Seahawks roster by my research. Also, LS Kyle Nelson had a brief stint before being cut in the first cut down.

4th round pick or not... I wouldn't take Harper back with Harbaugh tainted all over him... this coming from a big Harper enthusiast in the off-season.
Chris Maragos was a 49er before you guys picked him up

mretrade

Reaction score
I was just going to post that. I am sad to see Johnson go. He was lighting up at the end of the preseason. More proof of how high everyone is on Corey Lemoneir.

mretrade

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":25e2m3vk said:
Pandion Haliaetus":25e2m3vk said:

Also, I believe Harper has to be their roster for at least 3 games before they can cut him. Its funny since Harbaugh came into the NFL... he's been leeching Seahawk players... Lockette and LeGree come to mind and now Harper. Martin briefly.

All the 9er players Seahawks brought were in 2010... M-Rob and Kentwan Balmer in a trade... I want to say for Lawrence Jackson.

Then there is the Maragos who was signed undrafted by Scot McLoughin (sp?) also in 2010. But Maragos became a Seahawk in 2011.

And Brett Swain who was a 49er in 2011 but was drafted when JS was still part of the Packers FO. And he was just cut.

So so far no Harbaugh influenced 49er has touched a Seahawks roster by my research. Also, LS Kyle Nelson had a brief stint before being cut in the first cut down.

4th round pick or not... I wouldn't take Harper back with Harbaugh tainted all over him... this coming from a big Harper enthusiast in the off-season.

Same with Mike Person.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
just shows PC has got JH squirming in his seat he don't like the matchups that we bring and with this signing i think it only plays into the Hawks playing style.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
mretrade":88ywssmp said:
SoHo9erFan":88ywssmp said:
Pandion Haliaetus":88ywssmp said:

Same with Mike Person.

Forgot about Person. LOL what a fail of a post by Pandion

themunn

Reaction score
godawg":23ohwtun said:
Our drafting Harper instead of Patton doesn't look like a great move now that we can look back on it. I love our FO, but other than Golden Tate, our drafting of WRs has not been flawless. Right after this pick, which Kearly hated, I was called "silly" for posting: "With Kris Durham and others, this FO has not distinguished itself in choosing receivers, and perhaps Kearly has a better eye for this than John Schneider." Now that Harper is a Niner, I'm hoping Kearly was right.

Patton wouldn't have made it onto our 53 either