Chip Kelly hired by sf

NINEster

Reaction score
Maulbert":1b5a8zqo said:
NINEster":1b5a8zqo said:
But let's not forget those early '90s Jets teams or those late '90s Patriots teams.

Yeah, let's not forget that Pete won 6 games his only season as the head coach of the Jets and was replaced with a guy who only won 4 games over the next 2 seasons. Let's not forget Pete made the playoffs 2 out of 3 years with the Pats and never had a losing season there while having no say in personnel (confirmed by Bob Kraft). Pete's coaching record before he got to Seattle? 33-31. Not great, but people act like he was Marty Morninwheg before he got here.

Not saying he was garbage, but people like to write off Harbaugh and Kelly here because they didn't win Super Bowls or have as good a record as Carroll the last few years.

That's all I'm trying to say.

So damn hard for NFL fans to just be a tad bit objective and neutral.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I love how suddenly this is good news for Kaepernick. Yeah -- that's just what he needs. A third offensive coordinator in three years. A front office that was bad mouthing him to the national media during the season. A team that put all his jersey's on sale (and have now bumped up the price again because... Chip). And because Kelly used mobile quarterbacks at Oregon -- that means Kaepernick is suddenly going to be able to read a defense and make good decisions.

If anything, Kelly's rocket pace offense will be a hindrance. He has to think even quicker than ever. Anyone who thinks he'll just be able to play one-read and run stuff like they do in college is having a laugh. Teams will just take away the run and force him to throw.

Meanwhile that defense will be exhausted by week 6.

What an absolute circus of a franchise. Stumbling and bumbling along.

I'd be absolutely devastated if Jed owned my team.

rlkats

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":39u2ni52 said:
I love how suddenly this is good news for Kaepernick. Yeah -- that's just what he needs. A third offensive coordinator in three years. A front office that was bad mouthing him to the national media during the season. A team that put all his jersey's on sale (and have now bumped up the price again because... Chip). And because Kelly used mobile quarterbacks at Oregon -- that means Kaepernick is suddenly going to be able to read a defense and make good decisions.

If anything, Kelly's rocket pace offense will be a hindrance. He has to think even quicker than ever. Anyone who thinks he'll just be able to play one-read and run stuff like they do in college is having a laugh. Teams will just take away the run and force him to throw.

Not that I agree with what the yorks and balke are doing, but lets be honest. Even IF there was a hire that was perfect or the niners did something correct you wouldn't give credit where it would be due. For the record im not thrilled with the Kelly hiring.

So in the end does it really matter what we think. Um nope and nope.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rlkats":kwmeua0x said:
theENGLISHseahawk":kwmeua0x said:

Not that I agree with what the yorks and balke are doing, but lets be honest. Even IF there was a hire that was perfect or the niners did something correct you wouldn't give credit where it would be due. For the record im not thrilled with the Kelly hiring.

DING DING!!!

What makes Kellys offense so good for Kap is not just that he's mobile, its that most of the reads are fairly simple.

I have no idea if this will work, but this offense may protect Kap in the same way Romans did in 2012...giving him easy, defined looks and suppliment that with a really good run game and play action.

Kaps demise has been trying to make him into something he's not.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Marvin49":2mfl8lmq said:
rlkats":2mfl8lmq said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2mfl8lmq said:

DING DING!!!

What makes Kellys offense so good for Kap is not just that he's mobile, its that most of the reads are fairly simple.

I have no idea if this will work, but this offense may protect Kap in the same way Romans did in 2012...giving him easy, defined looks and suppliment that with a really good run game and play action.

Not like anyone besides Seattle thought Pete was a good hire in 2010, so why should I give the Niners credit? I thought Kelly would suck with the Eagles, I still think the same. The Niners have nothing to do with it. But them being Kelly's next victim does tickle me.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
rlkats":2f2hu9cv said:
Even IF there was a hire that was perfect or the niners did something correct you wouldn't give credit where it would be due.

Several posters, ENGLISH included, stated that Hue Jackson would be a great hire for the 49ers. And this is when all signs were pointing to him being hired.

rigelian

Reaction score
I was nervous because I thought they would sign Hue Jackson. He would have been a great choice. I think Chip is the coaching equivalent of a whoopee cushion.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
rlkats":1fptjyni said:

Of course I would give them credit. Go and find the Hue Jackson thread I started. Felt it would be a good hire and said so. But yeah, they botched that one (again).

I'm not sure what Niners fans expect. The reason some of us are ultra critical of your team isn't because we're determined to oppose every move. It's because for the last two years the people running your franchise have just made one staggering decision after another. We have no choice but to be critical.

And this Kelly hire, unfortunately, looks like another disaster waiting to happen. You've settled on Chip Kelly. A guy nobody else even wanted to interview after his unceremonious dumping in Philadelphia. You stumbled along, seemingly without any idea what it was you wanted in a Head Coach. And you were left choosing between Mike Shanahan and Chip Kelly. Good grief.

That's not to say the Niners are the only franchise who has made a suspect appointment. Yet the apparent incompetence on show compared to the relatively effective way Miami and Cleveland went about their business is striking.

What's more, you're now heading head first into a situation you were seemingly so keen to avoid in the past. Kelly has a way of doing things and needs a certain type of player to work into his vision. Does anyone seriously expect him to work hand in hand with Trent Baalke? And what happens when Baalke heads onto the field to continue coaching the DB's?

It's a crying shame what is happening to the Niners and seriously -- there's no pleasure to take here (well, maybe a little). Jed York is a laughing stock. He's made the Niners an unattractive team to coach -- and a probable bottom feeder in the NFC for the next few years.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
DavidSeven":nij7jfq4 said:
From Sheil Kapadia, who covered the Eagles for ESPN during Chip's tenure until 2015 (when he started covering the Seahawks):

In 2015, the Eagles ran an offensive play once every 22.21 seconds, the fastest in the NFL. Yet the offense ranked 26th in efficiency. There has been a narrative that Kelly was a good coach, but a bad GM. The truth is, that was not the case in 2015. The offense was a disaster. The Eagles' 67 turnovers in the past two seasons were the most in the NFL.

When the tempo works, it can be breathtaking. When it doesn't, it paralyzes other aspects of the team. The Eagles' defense was on the field for 1,148 snaps last season, tops in the league. The team that played the fewest was the Seattle Seahawks: 947. That's a difference of 201 snaps, roughly three games' worth.

Maybe that was a reason why the Eagles fell apart in 2014, going 1-3 down the stretch. They again played poorly in December this season, missing out on the playoffs for the second straight year.

Just imagine if the Eagles played as many games as the hawks have over the last three years.

Maulbert

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1otrof90 said:
That's not to say the Niners are the only franchise who has made a suspect appointment. Yet the apparent incompetence on show compared to the relatively effective way Miami and Cleveland went about their business is striking.

I wonder the last time Cleveland was ever compared favorably to anybody in the way they handle their business.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":3mlx00xa said:
rlkats":3mlx00xa said:
theENGLISHseahawk":3mlx00xa said:

DING DING!!!

Classic Marvin spin..His vacation is over now :)

Laloosh

Reaction score
Someone should talk to Chip about body language.

leadstory-560x0-3884-1452910086.jpg

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Laloosh":3s4t05ow said:
Someone should talk to Chip about body language.

leadstory-560x0-3884-1452910086.jpg
It's the same body language I use with my bosses or leads when they piss me off. 8)

OrFan

Reaction score
chris98251":21mmlyma said:
Chip kelly eagles carrolle

My plan is working perfectly, first the 49ers then the world!

Whaaaaaat? He is going to ruin the world also?!

Marvin49

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1d293778 said:
Marvin49":1d293778 said:
rlkats":1d293778 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1d293778 said:

DING DING!!!

Classic Marvin spin..His vacation is over now :)

I just said the offense might help Kap because its simple. How am I spinning. that's not exactly a compliment to Kap. Do you disagree with the concept that a simplified offense would help kap?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The curious thing to me will be the QBs. They have two spread guys now. And I could see Gabbert challenging for the job.

rlkats

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2y4yvv10 said:
rlkats":2y4yvv10 said:

Of course I would give them credit. Go and find the Hue Jackson thread I started. Felt it would be a good hire and said so. But yeah, they botched that one (again).

I'm not sure what Niners fans expect. The reason some of us are ultra critical of your team isn't because we're determined to oppose every move. It's because for the last two years the people running your franchise have just made one staggering decision after another. We have no choice but to be critical.

And this Kelly hire, unfortunately, looks like another disaster waiting to happen. You've settled on Chip Kelly. A guy nobody else even wanted to interview after his unceremonious dumping in Philadelphia. You stumbled along, seemingly without any idea what it was you wanted in a Head Coach. And you were left choosing between Mike Shanahan and Chip Kelly. Good grief.

What's more, you're now heading head first into a situation you were seemingly so keen to avoid in the past. Kelly has a way of doing things and needs a certain type of player to work into his vision. Does anyone seriously expect him to work hand in hand with Trent Baalke? And what happens when Baalke heads onto the field to continue coaching the DB's?

It's a crying shame what is happening to the Niners and seriously -- there's no pleasure to take here (well, maybe a little). Jed York is a laughing stock. He's made the Niners an unattractive team to coach -- and a probable bottom feeder in the NFC for the next few years.

So I stand corrected you did say that, and I say bs you are having a ton of pleasure ;)

rideaducati

Reaction score
Scottemojo":8kr53zkw said:
The curious thing to me will be the QBs. They have two spread guys now. And I could see Gabbert challenging for the job.

If the competition is Kaepernick, Gabbert won't even be challenged.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
rideaducati":2o9k7jo2 said:
Scottemojo":2o9k7jo2 said:

If the competition is Kaepernick, Gabbert won't even be challenged.
That depends on if Chip gets to make the call, or the guy writing big checks makes the call.

And that is the real job Chip took. Doing as he is told. Not his strength.