Cary Williams Signing - The End

Rocket

Reaction score
nbk35zw":vvzltcb1 said:
While many are pointing to Earl's contract, I would say Cary Williams contract is the catalyst for the Kam holdout. Free agency needs to be used for roster fillers, not starters. Seattle has broken the trust of the players.
:pukeface:

Reaction score
I thought I saw Cary Williams make a play that resulted in the hawks taking the lead... I must have been seeing things...

OP
OP
N

nbk35zw

Reaction score
The intent of the thread is to do with lack of cohesion, or "brotherhood" seen during the game. There was no fire, no passion, no energy.

I do feel the Harvin, Graham, and Williams signings have undermined the identity of the team. Seattle prides itself on being the successful unwanted. The signings undermined that mindset and create an identity shift towards something other than " always compete"

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
CBs are expensive. He will probably be gone next year. I think if Lane didn't almost have his arm cut off we probably wouldn't have signed Williams. Kam's contract dispute has to do with his age at the end of his contract.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
We overpaid for his talent (ahem), but that was a contract that we have to be flexible enough to be able to agree to. If that moderately priced contact is what sent Kam off the edge, then he is not as smart as we give him credit for.

getnasty

Reaction score
Why are people down on Cary Williams, outside of Bennett he play better then anyone defensively today. Maybe i'm wrong but I can only think of one time were I thought he gave up something and that was in a zone coverave early. To say we could have got a good OLmen with the money we paid him isn't his fault, I'm pretty sure Pete and John choose who to spend the money on and in case we haven't figured it out by now they don't value OL like they do CB. Cary Willams didn't hurt us one bit today.

BraveHeartFan

Reaction score
I thought Williams played pretty well yesterday.

I can understand being upset about Kam not being there though, from the fans perspective. If players are sulking about it then that's just silly. The NFL is a business and this happens to every single team so no one should believe their team is immune to this sort of stuff. Just go out there and play regardless.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
getnasty":30v1idyb said:
Why are people down on Cary Williams, outside of Bennett he play better then anyone defensively today. Maybe i'm wrong but I can only think of one time were I thought he gave up something and that was in a zone coverave early. To say we could have got a good OLmen with the money we paid him isn't his fault, I'm pretty sure Pete and John choose who to spend the money on and in case we haven't figured it out by now they don't value OL like they do CB. Cary Willams didn't hurt us one bit today.

Oh my god, a voice of reason.. THANK YOU

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
massari":2jqrc4ok said:
Could've gotten a pro bowl OL for less money than Cary Williams got. :34853_doh:

Really? Like who?

And would be your starting corner opposite Sherman on Sunday? Yesterday?

Tharold Simon can't stay healthy and was coming off a hideous postseason where he was essentially lit on fire by Tom Brady and Cam Newton. Byron Maxwell was about to leave for Arab money. Jeremy Lane has one arm and one leg right now.

So who?

Oh and if your basis of skill set is him being beat as an Eagle, you might want to catch highlights of #31 in white and green trim. Their scheme is a joke. Every good corner they've had recently has gone there and basically turned into ash. Cary Williams was actually a pretty damn good corner in Baltimore.. when he played in a much better defense for his skillset.

If Kam would ever pull his head out of his backside, I have a feeling Cary Williams would be A-OK playing oppo Sherman with 29 helping him out. Just. Like. Maxwell.

massari

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1sf09cug said:
massari":1sf09cug said:
Could've gotten a pro bowl OL for less money than Cary Williams got. :34853_doh:

Really? Like who?

And would be your starting corner opposite Sherman on Sunday? Yesterday?

Tharold Simon can't stay healthy and was coming off a hideous postseason where he was essentially lit on fire by Tom Brady and Cam Newton. Byron Maxwell was about to leave for Arab money. Jeremy Lane has one arm and one leg right now.

So who?

Oh and if your basis of skill set is him being beat as an Eagle, you might want to catch highlights of #31 in white and green trim. Their scheme is a joke. Every good corner they've had recently has gone there and basically turned into ash. Cary Williams was actually a pretty damn good corner in Baltimore.. when he played in a much better defense for his skillset.

If Kam would ever pull his head out of his backside, I have a feeling Cary Williams would be A-OK playing oppo Sherman with 29 helping him out. Just. Like. Maxwell.

Evan Mathis is the pro bowler I'm referring to but they could've also chosen to add a couple solid vets aswell.

As for free agent CB's that were signed for way cheaper contracts than journeyman Cary Williams this offseason and could've been a stop gap for the season or until Simon plays consistently are:

Patrick Robinson
Alan Ball
Charles Tillman
Tarell Brown
Brice McCain

There are many more CB's that were FA's but am to lazy to too look into them. It seems these guys wouldn't be much of a downgrade (if at all) on Williams to warrant not signing them over some OL help.

Oh well, we have different views but hope I'm wrong and Williams turns into a stud with the Hawks.

peppersjap

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":27q2eb4r said:
getnasty":27q2eb4r said:

Oh my god, a voice of reason.. THANK YOU
Thank you! The guy had what should have been the play of the game!

massari

Reaction score
StaffAmerica74":2m6gjy5x said:
I thought I saw Cary Williams make a play that resulted in the hawks taking the lead... I must have been seeing things...

Great play but I'm pretty sure whoever was playing in Cary Williams's spot would've been lined up in the exact same position and had a free shot on Foles aswell.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
massari":kftczrdz said:
Evan Mathis is the pro bowler I'm referring to but they could've also chosen to add a couple solid vets aswell.

As for free agent CB's that were signed for way cheaper contracts than journeyman Cary Williams this offseason and could've been a stop gap for the season or until Simon plays consistently are:

Patrick Robinson
Alan Ball
Charles Tillman
Tarell Brown
Brice McCain

There are many more CB's that were FA's but am to lazy to too look into them. It seems these guys wouldn't be much of a downgrade (if at all) on Williams to warrant not signing them over some OL help.

Oh well, we have different views but hope I'm wrong and Williams turns into a stud with the Hawks.

Evan Mathis wasn't available in FA at the time of the Cary Williams signing. Hindsight is always 20/20, so in September it's easy to say "they should have signed Mathis and blah blah blah.."

Again.. look at the chain of events that happened in February - the start of free agency.

- Jeremy Lane suffers two major injuries in the Super Bowl
- Richard Sherman plays with an injury that may or may not require Tommy John Surgery
- Tharold Simon, injured again, gets lit up like a Christmas tree for 100M people to see
- Byron Maxwell is an UFA poised to be the top corner on the market
- Darrelle Revis hits the market, sets the high barometer, Maxwell's suitors grow..

JS/PC did what they should do EVERY time there is a glaring hole. They addressed it. Cary Williams had the size that fit our system. He's a stop gap, he's not going to be here for 8 years.. hell he probably won't be here much longer than 2. And when you look at what other corners got in FA, his 3/18 deal (suddenly he's making 7M a year too.. another fun incorrect fact about the guy, he's actually making 4.6 million this year) was actually really affordable.

Now look at the FA offensive linemen. (Which by the way, this front office has never gone out and acquired.. and really the only perfect fit for the scheme and need WAS Mathis, and they did try to bring him in.) Here are the top 10 guards and centers available PRE Evan Mathis, because again.. he wasn't available until June 11th.

1. Mike Iupati (Signed 5-year, $40M deal with ARZ)
2. Orlando Franklin (Signed 5-year, $35.5M deal with SD)
3. Rodney Hudson (Signed 5-year, $44.5M deal with OAK)
4. Stefen Wisniewski (Would later sign in Jacksonville)
5. Clint Boling (Re-signed 5-year, $26M deal with CIN)
6. Chris Myers (Retired)
7. Justin Blalock (Retired)
8. Todd Herremans (Signed 1-year, $2.25M deal with IND)
9. James Carpenter (Signed 4-year, $19.1M deal with NYJ)
10. Brian De La Puente (Unsigned as of 9/15/15)

So Cary Williams 3/18 deal (which is a mirage) could have easily paid Carp or Todd Herremans. Yep. That's the missing piece here.

Just.. enough. Enough is enough here. The crazy hate brigade against him since August is ridiculous. If Kam is butt hurt over a stop gap corner that is making 4.6M this year, who was needed because our secondary was in shambles, then that's just another reason to stop communicating with the dude.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
massari":2zh1ngf6 said:
StaffAmerica74":2zh1ngf6 said:

Great play but I'm pretty sure whoever was playing in Cary Williams's spot would've been lined up in the exact same position and had a free shot on Foles aswell.

But they didn't. He did.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
massari":1e4vtqz1 said:
StaffAmerica74":1e4vtqz1 said:

But hell, the guy makes a great play, and Y'all want to diminish the 7 point results...and all on an "I'm Pretty Sure"
Cary Williams wasn't the problem.
What's next?, blaming him for the rest of the Defensive lethargy, and missed assignments?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The negativity around Williams seems to be unremitting by a few here. Alternatively justifications for Kam's holdout seems to be another repetitive talking point. Kam is not here supporting his teammates, he has chosen money over team and now has decided to dig his heels in thinking he can force the team renegotiate. He's mistaken and will lose more than money as the holdout continues.

Williams signing is not the reason for Kam's holdout. I disagree with the OP's premise that it broke the trust of team members, there is little justification for this opinion. Where is you support for this opinion that Williams signing broke the trust of the team?

Simon is a wildcard and still isn't healthy. In fact he hasn't been healthy for any significant period since being here. The team needed a starter who was a reasonably solid press cover corner. Williams is the guy they picked and they've been pretty smart in finding guys. I could see Simon eventually replacing Williams if he ever gets healthy enough to play regularly and if he were to get healthy Williams could be disposable next offseason or traceable as this season moves along. Until then he's the starting RCB, some here need to deal with that.

I didn't think Williams played a bad game on Sunday. He made a great play on the strip sack for six. The whole defensive backfield was playing poorly at times on Sunday but Williams hardly was the reason for the team losing. There were so many other reasons that can be pointed to a the genuine source of their problems. All in all they were outplayed by the Rams.

massari

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":246tmaar said:
massari":246tmaar said:

Patrick Robinson
Alan Ball
Charles Tillman
Tarell Brown
Brice McCain

Evan Mathis wasn't available in FA at the time of the Cary Williams signing. Hindsight is always 20/20, so in September it's easy to say "they should have signed Mathis and blah blah blah.."

Again.. look at the chain of events that happened in February - the start of free agency.

- Jeremy Lane suffers two major injuries in the Super Bowl
- Richard Sherman plays with an injury that may or may not require Tommy John Surgery
- Tharold Simon, injured again, gets lit up like a Christmas tree for 100M people to see
- Byron Maxwell is an UFA poised to be the top corner on the market
- Darrelle Revis hits the market, sets the high barometer, Maxwell's suitors grow..

JS/PC did what they should do EVERY time there is a glaring hole. They addressed it. Cary Williams had the size that fit our system. He's a stop gap, he's not going to be here for 8 years.. hell he probably won't be here much longer than 2. And when you look at what other corners got in FA, his 3/18 deal (suddenly he's making 7M a year too.. another fun incorrect fact about the guy, he's actually making 4.6 million this year) was actually really affordable.

Now look at the FA offensive linemen. (Which by the way, this front office has never gone out and acquired.. and really the only perfect fit for the scheme and need WAS Mathis, and they did try to bring him in.) Here are the top 10 guards and centers available PRE Evan Mathis, because again.. he wasn't available until June 11th.

1. Mike Iupati (Signed 5-year, $40M deal with ARZ)
2. Orlando Franklin (Signed 5-year, $35.5M deal with SD)
3. Rodney Hudson (Signed 5-year, $44.5M deal with OAK)
4. Stefen Wisniewski (Would later sign in Jacksonville)
5. Clint Boling (Re-signed 5-year, $26M deal with CIN)
6. Chris Myers (Retired)
7. Justin Blalock (Retired)
8. Todd Herremans (Signed 1-year, $2.25M deal with IND)
9. James Carpenter (Signed 4-year, $19.1M deal with NYJ)
10. Brian De La Puente (Unsigned as of 9/15/15)

So Cary Williams 3/18 deal (which is a mirage) could have easily paid Carp or Todd Herremans. Yep. That's the missing piece here.

Just.. enough. Enough is enough here. The crazy hate brigade against him since August is ridiculous. If Kam is butt hurt over a stop gap corner that is making 4.6M this year, who was needed because our secondary was in shambles, then that's just another reason to stop communicating with the dude.

LOL...why did you only list those 10 OL free agents? You realize there were many more, don't you? But I guess listing them wouldn't help your argument, would it?

Also, about Mathis, the Seahawks should've expected some guys to get released around the league (since it happens every year) which is one of the reasons why paying Williams all that money when they could've gotten a guy around the same talent level for much cheaper didn't seem like a very good idea.

But they do have an amazing track record with DB's so I shouldn't really question it, I guess.