Cary Williams Signing - The End

massari

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1hzs6v3q said:
massari":1hzs6v3q said:
StaffAmerica74":1hzs6v3q said:
I thought I saw Cary Williams make a play that resulted in the hawks taking the lead... I must have been seeing things...

Great play but I'm pretty sure whoever was playing in Cary Williams's spot would've been lined up in the exact same position and had a free shot on Foles aswell.
But hell, the guy makes a great play, and Y'all want to diminish the 7 point results...and all on an "I'm Pretty Sure"
Cary Williams wasn't the problem.
What's next?, blaming him for the rest of the Defensive lethargy, and missed assignments?

But wasn't Williams blitzing Foles a coaching decision? So if it was, any player who would've been playing in Williams's spot would've also had a free shot on the QB.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
jammerhawk":351bry3l said:
The negativity around Williams seems to be unremitting by a few here. Alternatively justifications for Kam's holdout seems to be another repetitive talking point. Kam is not here supporting his teammates, he has chosen money over team and now has decided to dig his heels in thinking he can force the team renegotiate. He's mistaken and will lose more than money as the holdout continues.

Williams signing is not the reason for Kam's holdout. I disagree with the OP's premise that it broke the trust of team members, there is little justification for this opinion. Where is you support for this opinion that Williams signing broke the trust of the team?

Simon is a wildcard and still isn't healthy. In fact he hasn't been healthy for any significant period since being here. The team needed a starter who was a reasonably solid press cover corner. Williams is the guy they picked and they've been pretty smart in finding guys. I could see Simon eventually replacing Williams if he ever gets healthy enough to play regularly and if he were to get healthy Williams could be disposable next offseason or traceable as this season moves along. Until then he's the starting RCB, some here need to deal with that.

I didn't think Williams played a bad game on Sunday. He made a great play on the strip sack for six. The whole defensive backfield was playing poorly at times on Sunday but Williams hardly was the reason for the team losing. There were so many other reasons that can be pointed to a the genuine source of their problems. All in all they were outplayed by the Rams.

Completely disagree about Rams outplaying Hawks. If Bailey doesn't fall, he knocks that ball away and we are having a different discussion. Rams were lucky to win, just look at Fisher's face after the game.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
If you look, difficult decisions have to be made every year. Yes, Pete and John would have preferred to have been able to develop a 2nd starting corner into perpetuity but we were thin last year, injuries were going to be an issue early this year and they fixed it. Had they not done something about this, we all would have been complaining.

This is hardly the first and definitely will not be last time the Seahawks have to make a difficult decision. Turnover happens every year and we are going to have to get rid of someone. Okung, Mebane, Irvin all have big contracts that end after this year. We are going to lowball some, if not all of them to free up space.

Maybe Kam wanted to sign Walter Thurmond again? Who knows but I don't buy that Cary Williams was the beginning of the holdout or the end to the circle of trust.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
massari":1bfe4cou said:
LOL...why did you only list those 10 OL free agents? You realize there were many more, don't you? But I guess listing them wouldn't help your argument, would it?

Because you said PRO BOWL OL :roll:

To quote.. you..

"Could've gotten a pro bowl OL for less money than Cary Williams got."

Those were the Top 10 FA OG/C in the league. The fact James Carpenter pops up on that list shows you that maybe just maybe there were not a lot of PRO BOWL caliber OL willing to sign for 4.6 million dollars in 2015

massari":1bfe4cou said:
Also, about Mathis, the Seahawks should've expected some guys to get released around the league (since it happens every year) which is one of the reasons why paying Williams all that money when they could've gotten a guy around the same talent level for much cheaper didn't seem like a very good idea.

But they do have an amazing track record with DB's so I shouldn't really question it, I guess.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Are you freaking kidding me? The FO should anticipate talent to be cut in June and just ignore a gigantic need in the secondary?

jonkchar

Reaction score
Whats worse is that he's not very good.

Whats even worse than that is that this team doesn't feel very united.

Whats worse than that is that the team will start losing games.

Have a snickers

ivotuk

Reaction score
nbk35zw":2ke7vmoh said:
While many are pointing to Earl's contract, I would say Cary Williams contract is the catalyst for the Kam holdout. Free agency needs to be used for roster fillers, not starters. Seattle has broken the trust of the players.

When I first saw this post, I was agreeing with it but then remembered that the reason we signed Cary Williams is because we couldn't afford to keep the guy that we brought along, Byron Maxwell.

So we had to sign someone, and the best option was Cary Williams at 6 million which isn't bad for an experienced DB.

It's not like we went out and signed Revis for 16 million, or some other "elite" talent for big bucks, we signed a stop-gap DB to get us by while we try to cultivate our home grown boys.

massari

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":kwjork6n said:
massari":kwjork6n said:
LOL...why did you only list those 10 OL free agents? You realize there were many more, don't you? But I guess listing them wouldn't help your argument, would it?

Because you said PRO BOWL OL :roll:

To quote.. you..

"Could've gotten a pro bowl OL for less money than Cary Williams got."

Again, the PRO BOWL player I'm referring to is Mathis. I also stated the fact that the Seahawks could've gotten a couple solid OL vets for the price of Williams. I guess you missed that part. Here's the quote:
massari":kwjork6n said:
Evan Mathis is the pro bowler I'm referring to but they could've also chosen to add a couple solid vets aswell.

But actually the Hawks could've gotten a couple solid OL vets+ a free agent CB like Patrick Robinson, Alan Ball, Charles Tillman, Tarell Brown, Brice McCain with the money they gave Cary Williams.

I'm not hating on Cary Williams as a player, I just hate the contract and think they could've gotten better bang for their buck if used elsewhere.

massari

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3vpf3b35 said:
Are you freaking kidding me? The FO should anticipate talent to be cut in June and just ignore a gigantic need in the secondary?

No they shouldn't ignore the CB need. If they signed a FA CB like Patrick Robinson, Alan Ball, Charles Tillman, Tarell Brown, Brice McCain, they would've been able to afford Mathis. Just one of the many reasons why overpaying for Williams was a mistake.

mjwhitay

Reaction score
It's embarrassing to be a Seahawks fan sometimes. It's so easy to forget that it took 35 years for our first Super Bowl and that we had been a laughing stock for most of our existence. Now perfection is expected in a league that doesn't allow you to be perfect. A league that makes you have holes you have to figure out how to fill. It only took 3 years for this franchise's fan base to become incredibly spoiled and entitled. No wonder the rest of the country despises us. I would too.

As a football fan, you're lucky to ever get a run anywhere near as good as the one we're on now. Ours is probably going to go until Pete calls it quits and all anyone can do is cry and whine about EVERY thing they possibly can. You can't even enjoy something so rare and fun because the front office spent "too much" and THAT'S why the team lost and why Kam is holding out.

I wish those that can't just enjoy the ride would get off.

massari

Reaction score
It's embarrassing to be a Seahawks fan sometimes. It's so easy to forget that it took 35 years for our first Super Bowl and that we had been a laughing stock for most of our existence. Now perfection is expected in a league that doesn't allow you to be perfect. A league that makes you have holes you have to figure out how to fill. It only took 3 years for this franchise's fan base to become incredibly spoiled and entitled. No wonder the rest of the country despises us. I would too.

As a football fan, you're lucky to ever get a run anywhere near as good as the one we're on now. Ours is probably going to go until Pete calls it quits and all anyone can do is cry and whine about EVERY thing they possibly can. You can't even enjoy something so rare and fun because the front office spent "too much" and THAT'S why the team lost and why Kam is holding out.

8335ce396612c8414e8bb403d1db8242db16b36d.jpg

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
mjwhitay":3lqryzxh said:

I guess I'm just not sure what people expect when they come to a fan forum? Rainbows and butterflies?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ivotuk":kd98zefx said:
nbk35zw":kd98zefx said:
While many are pointing to Earl's contract, I would say Cary Williams contract is the catalyst for the Kam holdout. Free agency needs to be used for roster fillers, not starters. Seattle has broken the trust of the players.

When I first saw this post, I was agreeing with it but then remembered that the reason we signed Cary Williams is because we couldn't afford to keep the guy that we brought along, Byron Maxwell.

So we had to sign someone, and the best option was Cary Williams at 6 million which isn't bad for an experienced DB.

It's not like we went out and signed Revis for 16 million, or some other "elite" talent for big bucks, we signed a stop-gap DB to get us by while we try to cultivate our home grown boys.

That's the thing.. he's not even making 6M this year ivotuk. He's making $4.6M

If he's cut next season, the team is on the hook for only $2.4M

I'm not even a huge Cary Williams fan, I just think it's hysterical how many fans rip the guy when he has literally done nothing wrong. Richard Sherman got beat by STEDMAN BAILEY on a key play for crying out loud. Can you imagine what would have happened if that were Cary Williams? This board would have gone nuclear.

massari":kd98zefx said:
No they shouldn't ignore the CB need. If they signed a FA CB like Patrick Robinson, Alan Ball, Charles Tillman, Tarell Brown, Brice McCain, they would've been able to afford Mathis. Just one of the many reasons why overpaying for Williams was a mistake.

For the love of everything holy.. $4.6M is not overpaying :lol:

But to go through your list..

Patrick Robinson - Not big enough for our starting corners, was never an option

Alan Ball - Big enough, played in Jacksonville, probably was on their short list. He signed for 3M though - Doubt that $1.6M sways Evan Mathis.

Charles Tillman - Probably wasn't looked at because he's a walking injury waiting to happen, not ideal when you're only in the market for a corner because Lane and Simon were injured. He also got 3M

Tarell Brown - Not big enough

Brice McCain - Definitely not big enough. He's smaller than Marcus Burley.

Williams at 4.6M (again, ignore the next two years.. because he's probably not on the team next year) was a fair contract. Especially since the 2012 version of him, on a better defense, was really good.. and a big reason the Ravens won the Super Bowl. The Eagles defense is a train wreck schematically. They leave their corners on an island and they rot as a result. Look at Asomugha, look at Byron Maxwell on Monday.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It is becoming disturbing lately how quickly threads get derailed with personal or general attacks rather than reasonable discussion of the initial point. The success of this site has been premised upon reasonable discussion. Let's all try to do better in this regard as almost every thread is lately starting to get derailed with personal attack.

I'm not upset that another poster may disagree with my thoughts, we all see things differently and should be able here to reasonably discuss differences in viewpoint. Excessive hyperbole has a dampening effect on reasoned discussion as well and perhaps the post responded to above is something we don't need to see much more of here. everyone can have their opinion here, frequently I think some posts are stupid beyond belief; but calling out those the poster disagrees with as "the worst and "ignorant" are not helpful or conducive to reasonable discussion even if those views are fairly held by the poster.

Now moving on.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
jammerhawk":16oa9lg3 said:
It is becoming disturbing lately how quickly threads get derailed with personal or general attacks rather than reasonable discussion of the initial point. The success of this site has been premised upon reasonable discussion. Let's all try to do better in this regard as almost every thread is lately starting to get derailed with personal attack.

I'm not upset that another poster may disagree with my thoughts, we all see things differently and should be able here to reasonably discuss differences in viewpoint. Excessive hyperbole has a dampening effect on reasoned discussion as well and perhaps the post responded to above is something we don't need to see much more of here. everyone can have their opinion here, frequently I think some posts are stupid beyond belief; but calling out those the poster disagrees with as "the worst and "ignorant" are not helpful or conducive to reasonable discussion even if those views are fairly held by the poster.

Now moving on.

Well said. Let's get the discussion back on track, fellas.

massari

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3ccwh0mw said:
massari":3ccwh0mw said:

For the love of everything holy.. $4.6M is not overpaying :lol:

But to go through your list..

Patrick Robinson - Not big enough for our starting corners, was never an option

Alan Ball - Big enough, played in Jacksonville, probably was on their short list. He signed for 3M though - Doubt that $1.6M sways Evan Mathis.

Charles Tillman - Probably wasn't looked at because he's a walking injury waiting to happen, not ideal when you're only in the market for a corner because Lane and Simon were injured. He also got 3M

Tarell Brown - Not big enough

Brice McCain - Definitely not big enough. He's smaller than Marcus Burley.

Williams at 4.6M (again, ignore the next two years.. because he's probably not on the team next year) was a fair contract. Especially since the 2012 version of him, on a better defense, was really good.. and a big reason the Ravens won the Super Bowl. The Eagles defense is a train wreck schematically. They leave their corners on an island and they rot as a result. Look at Asomugha, look at Byron Maxwell on Monday.

Williams has 7 million guaranteed, so he'll have 4.66 this year and a 2.33M cap hit next year when he's most likely bought out since I can't see them paying him 6.2 next year. So it's not just a 4.66M cap hit like you say. You're paying Williams 7M for one season spread over 2 years. If he plays for the Hawks next year, it'll be 11M over 2 seasons.

All those CB's are the same size (exept a couple) as Revis and only 2 inches shorter than Williams. I don't see why that's a problem. Do the Seahawks only like CB's over 5'11?

I'm not hating on him as a player, It just seems they could've gotten more with that money. I'm the noob and they're the experts though. ;)

I hope the 3 year 18M ends up turning into a steal for the Hawks.

Latest posts