Can I defend Pete Carroll for that last decision?

OP
OP
V

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
kearly":24rl0f7t said:
There was enough time to run the ball three times (Seattle had a timeout). Seattle had the #3 rush offense of all time, the toughest RB to tackle ever, vs. the 30th ranked power situations run defense, in the highest leverage set of downs in NFL history. From the 1 yard line.

Never in the history of the NFL did a situation call for a run more.

Run the ball on 3rd and 4th down then.

OP
OP
V

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
kearly":v5irwlg5 said:
There was enough time to run the ball three times (Seattle had a timeout). Seattle had the #3 rush offense of all time, the toughest RB to tackle ever, vs. the 30th ranked power situations run defense, in the highest leverage set of downs in NFL history. From the 1 yard line.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":3r1bkl6n said:
kearly":3r1bkl6n said:

You don't play for 3rd down. You play to win the game. 75% chance Marshawn barrels his way in for the win.

Rocket

Reaction score
kearly":19bgkdqh said:

Kip's usually right. Definitely right here.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":eqk3ppuz said:

Forget the fact the Patriots more than likely just concede the touchdown so they can have a crack at getting into FG range.

Look how long it took the Seahawks to score a TD before half. 20 seconds and 2 timeouts is an eternity.

minormillikin

Reaction score
Even if you don't hand it to Marshawn... It could have been Turbin, Michael, Russ or Moeaki even. It was 2nd and goal from the zero, with enough time to make it a 4 down situation. Passing should not have been an option.

Now, the annoying part of my brain just said if Lockette makes the play we're all celebrating right now and not questioning the play at all

Man, it's already been a long, miserable off-season.

OP
OP
V

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3v6qi3d6 said:
Vancanhawksfan":3v6qi3d6 said:
kearly":3v6qi3d6 said:

You don't play for 3rd down. You play to win the game. 75% chance Marshawn barrels his way in for the win.

That's just stupid logic.

Let's see - what scenario is a team more likely to score a touchdown with?

a) two attempts to score (by your logic a 75% chance x 2) from 2nd and goal and "WIN" the game?; or

b) three attempts to score from 2nd and goal (by your logic a 75% chance x 2 PLUS XXX% chance for the passing play) and "WIN" the game?

OP
OP
V

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3olidvfj said:
kearly":3olidvfj said:

Forget the fact the Patriots more than likely just concede the touchdown so they can have a crack at getting into FG range.

Look how long it took the Seahawks to score a TD before half. 20 seconds and 2 timeouts is an eternity.

They had one timeout. That makes all the difference in the world.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
The frustrating thing is that the Hawks didn't need 3 plays to score. They only needed to give the ball to Lynch one more time.

Pats were on their heels. I don't think they stuffed Marshawn for less than 1 yard all day.

Give it to him on 2nd down and he powers in.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
LTH":njth2qvx said:
At this point we have to give credit to NE for making a great play at the ending of the game and move on....

LTH

No. At this point we need to give credit to NE for recognizing when our OC goes full-roont, and move on from bevel.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I hate that Bevell is our OC. I hate that smart Seahawk fans have been forced to defend decisions like this one all season long. Wake up.

minormillikin

Reaction score
This is some real hindsight stuff, but when Russ called the timeout to avoid the delay of game, I sort of wished they had just taken the penalty. A little more cushion and the extra time out probably would have been better.

OP
OP
V

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
HawkFan72":9nz6cuqs said:
The frustrating thing is that the Hawks didn't need 3 plays to score. They only needed to give the ball to Lynch one more time.

Pats were on their heels. I don't think they stuffed Marshawn for less than 1 yard all day.

Give it to him on 2nd down and he powers in.

theascension":9nz6cuqs said:
Per PFF (as I've stated in other threads but bears repeating):
"Marshawn Lynch ran the ball from the 1 yard line 5 times this season. 1 TD, 2 runs for no gain, 2 runs for a loss.".

He's needed 5 carries this season to score once from the one yard line.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Geez one poor playcall and this board goes on full meltdown mode...

Yes that sucked but the guys made it to the super bowl again. Can we just celebrate that? NE just made a very good play. Look at closely. They were well prepared for that type of play.

This game will hurt for a long time but is it too much to ask to at least celebrate the fact these guys are the #2 best team in footbsll? Sooner or later you gotta move on from that play.

Daytomann

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":2do5aht4 said:
Hindsight is 20/20...thus I'd like to take a shot at defending Pete's decision to make a passing play in that situation. Note that I am NOT going to discuss their choice of play itself, but rather the decision to throw as opposed to running it.

Running the ball was clearly the obvious play and I was shocked even when I saw the Hawks spread out without Lynch in the backfield myself.

But I believe I understand what Pete's thinking was in choosing to run a passing play. He was attempting to preserve the possibility he might need all three plays to score.

Remember...it was 2nd and goal at the 2 yard line with only 1 timeout remaining. That means the Hawks could possibly have THREE shots at the end zone...but it would be extremely difficult, even with the one timeout, to execute three running plays in 26 seconds. No matter how you slice it, if the Seahawks do not run one passing play out of those three possible attempts then they run a big risk of only being able to take two shots at the end zone with a high likelihood of time running out before the guys can line up and get off the final play.

If you run a passing play that goes incomplete on 2nd down, then the Hawks can run on 3rd down and can call a timeout if they don't score.

If you execute a run play on 2nd down and get stopped they would probably have to call the timeout. And then on third down, even though you stopped the clock on the previous play, if they run and get stopped again things would get extremely squeezed by time for their last play.

The way Pete did it - assuming there is no turnover - this sequence was a the best way to get three plays in:

2nd down - passing play. Its either a touchdown or its incomplete. Time stops.

3rd down - either pass or run. If they pass and get stopped, or run and get stopped, they call a timeout.

4th down - run whatever the hell they want.

Pete does not play with a fear of losing - and he would assume that his offense is capable an extremely high percentage of the time to run a passing play and NOT turn it over. Pete plays to win.

Should he have called the pass play they ran - that's a different discussion. But the choice to make a passing play can be defended at least. It may not have been the best call (because it obviously can be argued it wasn't) but I think he can defend his thought process for why he did.

Sorry there is no defense for the play.
Beast mode ON, score winning TD. That was the play that should have been called.
Dude the coaches F'd up royally. Don't defend them.

Daytomann

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":1uvascua said:

Yes that sucked but the guys made it to the super bowl again. Can we just celebrate that? NE just made a very good play. Look at closely. They were well prepared for that type of play.

This game will hurt for a long time but is it too much to ask to at least celebrate the fact these guys are the #2 best team in footbsll? Sooner or later you gotta move on from that play.

If we would have lost for just about any other reason other than complete ignorance on so many levels then yes it would be easier to move on.
No excuse for that play call. None.
And yes it's a very big deal. I'm not sure you truly grasp how bad a decision it was? Or you just don't care?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":235nwrnb said:

Sorry man, but no I don't want to celebrate being #2. Had the Hawks lost by 10 without a chance to win at the end then yeah, I'm with you. But seriously a play call so bad that it will be talked about for years and years cost my team a championship and a place in history as one of the few to win back to back Super Bowls. Sorry. I can't "move on" right now.

Daytomann

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":1w1pe5xj said:
kearly":1w1pe5xj said:

Yeah, after you run it on 2 nd down....

djb28

Reaction score
2yards to a win. We go shotgun and throw.. Ugh

Austin Hawk

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":343lr25o said:

Yes that sucked but the guys made it to the super bowl again. Can we just celebrate that?

We did. For two weeks.