Cam Newton, Tom Brady and Russell Wilson leading MVP race?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Smellyman":24f1z0wz said:
HawkFan72":24f1z0wz said:
I think you guys are underrating Carson Palmer. He's having an amazing year (going to break Kurt Warner's franchise records in AZ) and has already beaten the Seahawks in Seattle to most likely lead the team to a division title.

Agreed. I know what happens when Palmer goes down. They suck.

Cam goes down....Derek Anderson was 2-0 last year.

If you really think the Panthers don't miss a beat with Derek Anderson, you're on some good drugs that you should share with others.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2n22in8b said:
Smellyman":2n22in8b said:
HawkFan72":2n22in8b said:
I think you guys are underrating Carson Palmer. He's having an amazing year (going to break Kurt Warner's franchise records in AZ) and has already beaten the Seahawks in Seattle to most likely lead the team to a division title.

If you really think the Panthers don't miss a beat with Derek Anderson, you're on some good drugs that you should share with others.

Oh they miss quite a bit, but still win.

MVP53

Reaction score
kobebryant":316zxamg said:
I'd rank em

1. Cam (holding steady; admittedly I love how his smiling, dancing and giving TD balls to kids brings some levity and perspective to a game that can often take itself far too seriously)
2. Carson (holding steady)
3. Brady (dropping, not his fault, but dropping)
4. Russ (rising)
5. Ben (rising)

Antonio Brown is the only non-qb this season that I would listen to an argument for.

No disrespect to the Panther's weapons, but Cam is putting a very marginal group of offensive talent (Olsen excluded) on his back.

This is a very good point. When the Hawks played Carolina, I wanted Kam to break Cam's ribs. But honestly, watching highlights of him now, I kind of roll my eyes, but remind myself, it's all supposed to be fun. He's kind of becoming Chad Ochocinco in that way. Kind of obnoxious, but harmless.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Right now I'd give it to Carson Palmer. Carson has a great group of WR's, but Cam's total supporting cast, including the defense is loaded by comparison. I always though Carson would maintain an elite level of play if he could remain healthy, and get adequate protection... guess what?? Dude has balled out every game. His sustained, superior level of play from game one on should make it a no brainer.

I'm surprised that Russ is even in the discussion, as he showed up really late in the race. His fault or not, we weren't a very good team for the first half of the season, and W/L record should play a big role.

AVL

Reaction score
Pro bowl voting ignores the last 3 games of the season. When does it close for the other individual awards?

Late bloomers have a distinct disadvantage, see 2112.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Had Russell's meteoric streak started 4 games earlier he would be in the conversation... but Newton and Brady have both done it for the full year with little or no help.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2nrinfjt said:

Yep.

Three major things working against Wilson:

1) Cam, Palmer, and Brady are all just having amazing years.

2) Cam, Palmer, and Brady are playing on the three teams with the best records in the NFL (for a player on a wild card team to get MVP he has to be head and shoulders (and another set of head and shoulders) above the guys who play on the best teams.)

3) Cam, Palmer, and Brady have had great years all year, whereas Wilson has just had a truly transcendent month after a pretty average couple of months. If Wilson could put together a whole season of this month he'd be a shoe in, but there's a lot of guys who would win the MVP if their month long stretch crossed over a whole year (e.g. If Josh Norman's first month of the season was all season long he'd be the first CB to win it; if Devonta Freeman's second month of the season crossed the whole season he'd win it, and so on).

If he keeps it up and the Seahawks win the division maybe next year for Wilson, but this year I don't think he's even really in the conversation.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1bwplca0 said:
HawkFan72":1bwplca0 said:

Yep.

2) Cam, Palmer, and Brady are playing on the three teams with the best records in the NFL (for a player on a wild card team to get MVP he has to be head and shoulders (and another set of head and shoulders) above the guys who play on the best teams.)

3) Cam, Palmer, and Brady have had great years all year, whereas Wilson has just had a truly transcendent month after a pretty average couple of months. If Wilson could put together a whole season of this month he'd be a shoe in, but there's a lot of guys who would win the MVP if their month long stretch crossed over a whole year (e.g. If Josh Norman's first month of the season was all season long he'd be the first CB to win it; if Devonta Freeman's second month of the season crossed the whole season he'd win it, and so on).

If he keeps it up and the Seahawks win the division maybe next year for Wilson, but this year I don't think he's even really in the conversation.

I agree Wilson will not win MVP, Cam Newton will, but to say that the player with the best QB rating in the league, on a team that is contending for its 3rd consecutive Super Bowl, is not "in the conversation" is absurd. I have yet to read an article this week about the MVP candidates that fails to mention Wilson in the conversation.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Smellyman":fuup3eg7 said:
Hasselbeck":fuup3eg7 said:
Smellyman":fuup3eg7 said:
HawkFan72":fuup3eg7 said:

Oh they miss quite a bit, but still win.

Your basis for this was Anderson beating a 2-14 Bucs team twice. Once by 6 the other by 2.

Take Cam off the Panthers and they don't win 5 games.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3ald8bhh said:
Popeyejones":3ald8bhh said:
HawkFan72":3ald8bhh said:

Yep.

I agree Wilson will not win MVP, Cam Newton will, but to say that the player with the best QB rating in the league, on a team that is contending for its 3rd consecutive Super Bowl, is not "in the conversation" is absurd. I have yet to read an article this week about the MVP candidates that fails to mention Wilson in the conversation.

You're trying to create a fight where none exists, but fine:

1) For better or for worse highest QB rating doesn't win you the MVP. If it did Tyrod Taylor and Andy Dalton would also seriously be in the conversation, and like Wilson, they're not.

2) The Seahawks aren't contending for their 3rd consecutive Super Bowl right now, dude. They're trying to lock up a wild card spot. They could VERY WELL win the Super Bowl this year but it's not gonna matter at all in MVP voting.

3) The biggest article from a major outlet this week that mentions Russell Wilson and the MVP race is friggin titled "He won't win MVP, but nobody is outplaying Russell Wilson." :lol:

It's a threeway race with 1) Cam, 2) Brady and 3) Palmer.

None of this is a knock on Wilson.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I think if Wilson continues is reign of storming elite play to the tune of 1,000-1,200 yards, 10-12 TDs through the air in the last 3 games while adding another 600-700 yards, with 1-2 tds on the ground for the season.

He should get it.

No one has had it as tough as him this season losing Lynch and Graham. Elite players at thier position and now Thomas Rawls. No one in the conversation had to face the pressure, qb hits, sacks this guy has taken in the 1st half of the season. No one in the conversation had thier defenses crumble in every loss once Wilson led the offense to 4th Qtr leads in those 5 games.

Newton and Palmer definately deserve it but if the Seahawks finish 11-5 on Wilson's back. And IF he can hit that 5,000 Total Yard, 40 Total TD mark, with just 8 Ints on the year while pushing his historic 138.5+ passer rating across 7 games and finish the year with a 70+% completion rate and lead the league in Passer Rating.

The guy will deserve it more than Cam and Carson.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Popeyejones":tb6o0aj3 said:
hawknation2015":tb6o0aj3 said:
Popeyejones":tb6o0aj3 said:
HawkFan72":tb6o0aj3 said:

Yep.

You're trying to create a fight where none exists, but fine:

1) For better or for worse highest QB rating doesn't win you the MVP. If it did Tyrod Taylor and Andy Dalton would also seriously be in the conversation, and like Wilson, they're not.

2) The Seahawks aren't contending for their 3rd consecutive Super Bowl right now, dude. They're trying to lock up a wild card spot. They could VERY WELL win the Super Bowl this year but it's not gonna matter at all in MVP voting.

3) The biggest article from a major outlet this week that mentions Russell Wilson and the MVP race is friggin titled "He won't win MVP, but nobody is outplaying Russell Wilson." :lol:

It's a threeway race with 1) Cam, 2) Brady and 3) Palmer.

None of this is a knock on Wilson.

Could you be any more disingenuous? Typical 49er fan.

From a quick Google search:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... he-stretch

Cam Newton, who is the presumptive favorite in spite of his stats and due to his team's record (with all but two of those wins coming against teams with losing records), has an article about him that is similarly titled:

Why Cam Newton Isn't the NFL MVP

The Carolina Panthers are 12-0 and their QB is having a career year – but he might not even be the most valuable player on his team

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/feat ... z3uQyvPy7T

"Conversation" refers to a national discussion about the best candidates for MVP. Newton, Wilson, Brady, and Palmer are the four in that conversation right now.

Rat

Reaction score
5 TDs over 300 yards passing and 100 rushing yards. Cam didn't do anything to hurt his chances today.

Latest posts