Purdy MVP talk...

Cyrus12

Reaction score
So watching First Take this am..which I never do...these guys are drooling over Purdy for MVP. It was brought up however he is 22nd amongst QBs at pass attempts which shows he isn't really the field general on that team. So is he mvp or is Cmac or even Trent Williams? If one of those guys goes down I think you see a totally different Purdy. I get they are trying to crown the next Brady underdog story but is it valid or overhyped?? For me it's Tyreek for mvp but he beats his kids so he probably won't get picked..

Last edited:
Reaction score
The argument that Purdy throws short and lets his teammates carry him is invalid and false. He is number one in air yards thrown before the catch, and only 48% of his yardage is after the catch. That’s less than the last three MVPs (Rodgers, Mahomes). Do we put an asterix next to their MVP?

IMG 1722

The argument that he benefits from having top talent around him is false too. Why? Its a team sport. Every QB needs to have talent around them to succeed. Do you think Montana would have won the SB and his MVPs without help from his team?

Do we hold it against Payton Manning when he won it? Do we hold it against all the other MVPs.

The only thing you have to go with is the current season’s work. What QB is currently leading in all major categories? That’s it.

Besides anyone who actually watches the games will see that he expertly reads the field, processes information at an elite level, gets the ball out quick, and is highly accurate in his passes.

Every argument against Purdy at this point discredits the previous MVPs.

Now having said that, I hate that the MVP has become a QB award. I think both Tyreek Hill and CMC have legitimate arguments why they could be MVP.

Lennie

Reaction score
I mean Purdy has played great, but how can you vote him MVP when he’s not even the best player on his team?
That’s CMC.

Reaction score
I mean Purdy has played great, but how can you vote him MVP when he’s not even the best player on his team?
That’s CMC.

Most valuable is not necessary the best. How did CMC and the 49ers do in that NFCCG when Purdy tore his UCL. The best (CMC) was not able to save them. But not having a QB who could throw the ball removed all hope of winning the game. So who is more valuable?

I agree CMC is the best on the team, but using that argument most of the previous MVPs should not have been MVP. Right?

One could argue that Trent Williams is the most valuable player on the team. Without him the 22nd ranked offensive line becomes closer to 32nd. But is an OL going to get MVP?

Nope…

It’s unfortunate but true that its largely a QB award, and running backs and receivers usually are up for OPOY. So with that in mind, there really are only two QBs that should be in the running based on this years (and this year alone) stats and performance. Dak Prescott and Brock Purdy.

Last edited:
Reaction score
By the way I just heard an argument for Dak because he throws the ball 56% of the time compared to Purdy’s 54%.

They are splitting hairs here, and lets be honest, its always been a popularity contest and nothing more.

OP
OP
Cyrus12

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Agree just like most awards its just about popularity and i think who the league wants to push.. Purdy falls into that category at this time.

Reaction score
Of course he falls into that category, but THIS YEAR he has stats/play to put him into legitimate discussion for it (note I’m not saying win it).

OP
OP
Cyrus12

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Of course he falls into that category, but THIS YEAR he has stats/play to put him into legitimate discussion for it (note I’m not saying win it).
Agree with his stats and play. Regardless of everything it was a helluva pick and I think sf would be in huge trouble if they still had Lance. Purdy pick likely saved Lynch's job.

Reaction score
Agree with his stats and play. Regardless of everything it was a helluva pick and I think sf would be in huge trouble if they still had Lance. Purdy pick likely saved Lynch's job.

I agree 100%. The more I saw and learned about Trey, the more I realized he just ain’t got it. Purdy was nothing but luck, and it saved Lynches job, and from Garopollo.

OP
OP
Cyrus12

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Meh...Sherman just a a told what to say talking head now...imo it's gotta be Tyreek or Cmac..but if it has to be a qb like the league likes its Purdy or Dak.

OP
OP
Cyrus12

Cyrus12

Reaction score
But what he says is true.

Again, not saying Brock should win it, but the arguments against at this point are laughable at best.
Some people still label him a systems qb. Not really sure on that as aren't most qb's really? I don't think Trey Lance or Jimmy G do well in that system so not sure on that label.

OP
OP
Cyrus12

Cyrus12

Reaction score
But what he says is true.

Again, not saying Brock should win it, but the arguments against at this point are laughable at best.
Ya it is. Just meant that Sherm now that he's on the big shows gets told what to say. I doubt you'll ever see him slam Russ anymore other than just giving an opposite opinion to whoever else he would be debating with.

Reaction score
Some people still label him a systems qb. Not really sure on that as aren't most qb's really? I don't think Trey Lance or Jimmy G do well in that system so not sure on that label.

Agreed on all accounts. Every offense has a system, and every QB is successful or not in said system. Therefore they are all system QBs if they are successful.

You hit the nail on the head. CJ Beathard, Nick Mullins, Brian Hoyer, and Trey Lance were not successful in Shanahan’s system. Jimmy G was mediocre at best.

Reaction score
”Brock Purdy ranks No. 1 in the NFLin the most-important quarterback statistics this season.

But it might come as a surprise that one area in which the 49ers quarterback is perceived to be at the top of the list, he actually ranks only 17th in the league.

Purdy is third in the NFL with 3,553 passing yards this season. But everyone knows his stats are inflated because Deebo Samuel, Brandon Aiyuk and George Kittle are so good after the catch, right?

Uh, not exactly.

Only 47.8 percent of Purdy’s passing yards this season have come after the catch, according to Pro Football Focus. That percentage ranks 17th among the 32 quarterbacks with the most drop-backs this season.

The reason for the relatively low percentage of yards after the catch is because Purdy has been the best thrower of the deep ball in the NFL this season.

On pass attempts traveling 20 or more yards down the field, Purdy is hitting his intended targets at an absurdly high frequency.”

OP
OP
Cyrus12

Cyrus12

Reaction score
”Brock Purdy ranks No. 1 in the NFLin the most-important quarterback statistics this season.

But it might come as a surprise that one area in which the 49ers quarterback is perceived to be at the top of the list, he actually ranks only 17th in the league.

Purdy is third in the NFL with 3,553 passing yards this season. But everyone knows his stats are inflated because Deebo Samuel, Brandon Aiyuk and George Kittle are so good after the catch, right?

Uh, not exactly.

Only 47.8 percent of Purdy’s passing yards this season have come after the catch, according to Pro Football Focus. That percentage ranks 17th among the 32 quarterbacks with the most drop-backs this season.

The reason for the relatively low percentage of yards after the catch is because Purdy has been the best thrower of the deep ball in the NFL this season.

On pass attempts traveling 20 or more yards down the field, Purdy is hitting his intended targets at an absurdly high frequency.”

What about Cmac after the catch? Not sure on his passing yards but he's also a pivotal point of the passing game is he not? Cmac does things not a lot of rbs can do.
Purdy probably gets shit on because of his draft position. I dont watch much college stuff but if he was this good why was he last picked? Shitty school?

Latest posts