Purdy MVP talk...

Reaction score
What about Cmac after the catch? Not sure on his passing yards but he's also a pivotal point of the passing game is he not? Cmac does things not a lot of rbs can do.
Purdy probably gets shit on because of his draft position. I dont watch much college stuff but if he was this good why was he last picked? Shitty school?

He does, but this specifically talks about the pass before the catch.

I read an interesting article a few days ago (I’ll see if I can find it again) where an NFL GM says they ranked Purdy so low in the Draft because they said he did not have arm strength or athleticism, and questioned whether he could process quick enough for the NFL game.

The GM goes on to say in hindsight they got it wrong. He has proven his arm strength is sufficient, he is athletic enough to extend the play, and process at an elite level which allows him to see the field completely.

Reaction score
This is not the article I read a few days ago, but it has a scouting report on him.

Strengths

— Rhythm passer.

— Good pocket passer.

— Solid decision-maker, tends to avoid the turnover.

— Accurate to short- and intermediate-windows.

— Good build, though not ideal.

Weaknesses

— Not the strongest arm.

— Not very mobile and may have difficulties avoiding pass rush.

— Not the ideal size/height for an NFL quarterback (6-1).

— Mechanically unsound; takes long to set up in the pocket, throwing motion is mechanical.

94Smith

Reaction score
It would be ironic if Purdy got an MVP while Russ never got an MVP on the Seahawks

Torc

Reaction score
The argument that Purdy throws short and lets his teammates carry him is invalid and false. He is number one in air yards thrown before the catch, and only 48% of his yardage is after the catch. That’s less than the last three MVPs (Rodgers, Mahomes). Do we put an asterix next to their MVP?

The argument that he benefits from having top talent around him is false too. Why? Its a team sport. Every QB needs to have talent around them to succeed. Do you think Montana would have won the SB and his MVPs without help from his team?

Do we hold it against Payton Manning when he won it? Do we hold it against all the other MVPs.

The only thing you have to go with is the current season’s work. What QB is currently leading in all major categories? That’s it.

Besides anyone who actually watches the games will see that he expertly reads the field, processes information at an elite level, gets the ball out quick, and is highly accurate in his passes.

Every argument against Purdy at this point discredits the previous MVPs.

Now having said that, I hate that the MVP has become a QB award. I think both Tyreek Hill and CMC have legitimate arguments why they could be MVP.
He may be #1 in Yards in the air, the 49ers are also really high (#3) on the yards after catch. In other words, he's getting a lot of benefit from the skilled positions. Of note, KC is #1. (http://hosted.stats.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=231)

Yes, the Whiners did poorly in the playoffs when they lost him.

Also, this year they had a three game losing streak when they didn't have CMC and/or Deebo. My personal opinion is that CMC is the most valuable player on that team, which disqualifies anyone else for league MVP.

But we all know that league MVP is a QB award (which is dumb) and as far as the QBs go, Purdy is certainly a legit candidate. I think there's an argument for Mahomes, simply because he continues to win despite having one of the worst receiving corps in the league, but that doesn't generally carry weight with the voters. I suspect it'll come down to Dak and Purdy because people are lazy and they're the QBs of the two best teams.

Torc

Reaction score
Good give it to him. Give him the Ohtani contract too. He's the MVP, he deserves $700M.
You're right. I hope Purdy wins MVP so that when he signs his first non-rookie contract after next year, he sets a new record for how much of the salary cap he consumes. Nothing will help the Seahawks more. :p

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The argument that Purdy throws short and lets his teammates carry him is invalid and false. He is number one in air yards thrown before the catch, and only 48% of his yardage is after the catch. That’s less than the last three MVPs (Rodgers, Mahomes). Do we put an asterix next to their MVP?

View attachment 62473

The argument that he benefits from having top talent around him is false too. Why? Its a team sport. Every QB needs to have talent around them to succeed. Do you think Montana would have won the SB and his MVPs without help from his team?

Do we hold it against Payton Manning when he won it? Do we hold it against all the other MVPs.

The only thing you have to go with is the current season’s work. What QB is currently leading in all major categories? That’s it.

Besides anyone who actually watches the games will see that he expertly reads the field, processes information at an elite level, gets the ball out quick, and is highly accurate in his passes.

Every argument against Purdy at this point discredits the previous MVPs.

Now having said that, I hate that the MVP has become a QB award. I think both Tyreek Hill and CMC have legitimate arguments why they could be MVP.
Shanahan deserves the MVP award. You think Purdy would be anywhere NEAR as good on the Seahawks? We have a lot of WR talent. Their scheming and play-calling are both absolutely stellar and that makes a HUGE difference.

Reaction score
He may be #1 in Yards in the air, the 49ers are also really high (#3) on the yards after catch. In other words, he's getting a lot of benefit from the skilled positions. Of note, KC is #1. (http://hosted.stats.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=231)

Yes, the Whiners did poorly in the playoffs when they lost him.

Also, this year they had a three game losing streak when they didn't have CMC and/or Deebo. My personal opinion is that CMC is the most valuable player on that team, which disqualifies anyone else for league MVP.

But we all know that league MVP is a QB award (which is dumb) and as far as the QBs go, Purdy is certainly a legit candidate. I think there's an argument for Mahomes, simply because he continues to win despite having one of the worst receiving corps in the league, but that doesn't generally carry weight with the voters. I suspect it'll come down to Dak and Purdy because people are lazy and they're the QBs of the two best teams.

Statistics say otherwise. Only 48% of his yardage is after catch yardage which less than the last MVPs, and he is currently ranked 17th in the league in that category against other QBs this year. That means 16 other QBs have yards after catch making up their total yardage.

A QBSs job is to get the ball to his playmakers, and he does that more efficiently than any other QB this season.

Reaction score
Shanahan deserves the MVP award. You think Purdy would be anywhere NEAR as good on the Seahawks? We have a lot of WR talent. Their scheming and play-calling are both absolutely stellar and that makes a HUGE difference.

He certainly benefits from it (any QB will benefit from a master playcaller like Shanahan) but you could not be more wrong in your overall assessment. Using your logic, CJ Beathard should have won 5 Super Bowls and 5 MVPs by now. Why, because of Shanahan.

I’d bet money Brock would perform better than Geno or Lock on your team.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I mean Purdy has played great, but how can you vote him MVP when he’s not even the best player on his team?
That’s CMC.
Most valuable. If they lost Purdy to injury, their season is done. The real competition is Dak, but he would have to beat 49ers in the playoffs.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
He certainly benefits from it (any QB will benefit from a master playcaller like Shanahan) but you could not be more wrong in your overall assessment. Using your logic, CJ Beathard should have won 5 Super Bowls and 5 MVPs by now. Why, because of Shanahan.

I’d bet money Brock would perform better than Geno or Lock on your team.
I'll just put my opinion out that no, I don't think you're right at all; but whatever, mister I-just-registered-less-than-two-weeks-ago.

Reaction score
I'll just put my opinion out that no, I don't think you're right at all; but whatever, mister I-just-registered-less-than-two-weeks-ago.

Ok, why don’t you agree. And thanks for stating its just your opinion. That’s all either of us have I guess.

Having said that, I’ve also posted actual statistical facts that demonstrate he is not only benefiting from the system, but also leading and executing the system at an efficient and highly effective manner. These statistics refute many of the doubters arguments. If you have stats and facts to back up your opinion, lets hear it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I mean you are basically stating he is a product of Shanahan. Since he has only played for Shanahan at the NFL level we cannot prove that right or wrong.

We, however, have a slew of QBs that did not make it in his system, or were mediocre at best. So without any thing else to go off we can only conclude that Shanahan is not the only reason.

I’ll agree he benefits from it, but you still have to have adequate skills and ability to perform in his system. Hell imagine Mahomes, Rodgers, or Brady with Shanahan as their coach?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
So first of all, coaches tend to learn more the longer they're in the league in their earlier years especially. Second of all, OCs are still typically confined in a lot of ways by what the head coach wants. Seahawks are a hugely prime example of this. Third of all, you can't automatically turn ANY quarterback into a great one just with scheming and play calling.

Shanahan deserves more credit than Purdy.

Reaction score
So first of all, coaches tend to learn more the longer they're in the league in their earlier years especially. Second of all, OCs are still typically confined in a lot of ways by what the head coach wants. Seahawks are a hugely prime example of this. Third of all, you can't automatically turn ANY quarterback into a great one just with scheming and play calling.

Shanahan deserves more credit than Purdy.

You just made an argument for Purdy. You said you can’t automatically turn ANY quarterback into a great one just with scheming and play calling. So by your own account he must be doing something right because all QBs before didn’t.

Shanahan deserves plenty of credit, but the discrediting of Purdy is laughable at best.

Welshers2

Reaction score
I truly can't imagine how bored one must be to go make accounts and talk shit on the forums of opposing teams. Must not have a lot going on in life.

Welshers2

Reaction score
Not talking shit at all here. Simply talking football. It is a message board right?
oh I wasn't talking about you I didn't even know you were a fan of another team. we just get a lot of 49ers fans who make accounts here to talk shit. it's pretty sad but there are probably people from here who do it on their forum i imagine. personally ive never even been on the 9ers forum. i just stick to talking football on the forum of my own team and dont feel the need to go talk shit on the internet

Reaction score
oh I wasn't talking about you I didn't even know you were a fan of another team. we just get a lot of 49ers fans who make accounts here to talk shit. it's pretty sad but there are probably people from here who do it on their forum i imagine. personally ive never even been on the 9ers forum. i just stick to talking football on the forum of my own team and dont feel the need to go talk shit on the internet

I am a fan of not just the 49ers but football in general. I enjoy watching all sorts of games and teams, and enjoy talking with other fans as well.

I’ll never start out talking shit, but will give it back. All in good fun of course.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
It is sometimes interesting to get the perspective of fans of other teams. I am Bears & Seahawks fan, and hang out on both forums every day. We have Packers and Lions fans regularly on the Bears forum. Keeps it lively!