Buck/Aikman to call Seahawks-Packers

kidhawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":h3demaay said:
Actually I take that back. The following week the only competition for games is Rams and 9ers. So Seahawks-Cards will probably be the national game then too.

And in Week 17 I would say there is a chance. Denver-Oakland I would think is a prime candidate for getting the Sunday night game which would open up the Sunday afternoon game for me.

This is correct. According to the 506 website (the one that does the weekly maps, he projects that as the "national game" for that time slot. By national game, it's the game he expects the most coverage on the maps. He's pretty good at getting these on point.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
NINEster":1wd3tp4i said:
No Sunday Night games on week 17.

Week 17 is always saved for the game with the most playoff implications. Right now that looks to be Titans-Texans, Packers-Lions, or even Giants-Redskins.

Seahawks-Niners would probably get flexed to FS2 if Fox had their say :lol:

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2gnjw2zy said:
NINEster":2gnjw2zy said:

Week 17 is always saved for the game with the most playoff implications. Right now that looks to be Titans-Texans, Packers-Lions, or even Giants-Redskins.

Titans play the Broncos and the Chiefs in the next two weeks. I have a feeling their playoff shot will not be forthcoming, but anything can happen, right?

253hawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1vks733r said:
HoustonHawk82":1vks733r said:
There is something I like about Buck that the other TV guys don't seem to do as well. It's before and during the time when the ball is snapped, he will allow the play to develop in silence for a moment. Then, when it looks like Russ is back to pass, he just says, "Wilson...!" then, while the good thing happens, he picks up with the more exact calling. "...and caught by Graham across the middle!".

That hesitation and "let things play out" silence is reminiscent of the Marv Albert/Michael Jordan calls when Marv would just go, "Jordan.... Yes!!!!". Makes things funner I think. You have to pay more attention to the visuals.

I know that a lot of people enjoy the Raible-esque detailed radio-type chatter with the formation explanations, but I can see all that. Don't need to hear that Wilson is in the shotgun on every down, I can see it. Now, when it's an empty backfield, I may need to hear that as I watch the defense a lot and don't always pay attention to the RBs as much.

Anybody with me?

A very subtle thing, but you're right. Great post.

Probably because he's busy concentrating on peeing into a trash can while making the call.

[youtube]hVYVa54TKso[/youtube]

HawkGA

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3qov2ac2 said:
NINEster":3qov2ac2 said:

But if one of the good afternoon games gets flexed that opens up territory for the Seahawks.

Steve2222

Reaction score
sutz":1lgnc9i1 said:
HawkGA":1lgnc9i1 said:
I've already checked my local listings and I should be getting the game (so yay for you other Colorado Seahawks fans!).

I too have been impressed by the number of games I've gotten this year. Very pleased.
Perhaps it is a sign that we finally are 'arriving.' Since Pete, we've been in the playoffs every year but one, have been to two SBs, and in season have gone toe-to-toe with some perennial favorites around the league. Perhaps we earned the right to having eyes on us in the minds of the producers and fans around the country. Plus, beyond all of the winning, we tend to play the kind of games they like, that come down to the 4th quarter, and have drama as well as quality play. They probably get to charge advertisers more for their 4th Quarter spots because of teams like us. ;)

Maybe some of the 'hate' we get is because people are starting to get tired of us being on TV instead of their favorites, much like we hate teams like Dallas because they are "always on."

:2thumbs:

Is this post from 2013?

We arrived to the national scene after 2012.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
HawkGA":7r1h3zce said:
Hasselbeck":7r1h3zce said:
NINEster":7r1h3zce said:

But if one of the good afternoon games gets flexed that opens up territory for the Seahawks.

Highly doubtful. The Niners are likely going to be 1-14/2-13 going into that game, it will get pretty bare coverage.

Largent80

Reaction score
Raible - Moon should be an alternative but the money grubbing nfl won't allow streaming of the preffered Seattle fan game experience.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Largent80":35s1lw9f said:
Raible - Moon should be an alternative but the money grubbing nfl won't allow streaming of the preffered Seattle fan game experience.

Really? You can't even pay for it? I figured there was a radio subscription option. Wow. Seems like they are missing some revenue by not offering it.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1pho94b1 said:
HawkGA":1pho94b1 said:
Hasselbeck":1pho94b1 said:
NINEster":1pho94b1 said:

Highly doubtful. The Niners are likely going to be 1-14/2-13 going into that game, it will get pretty bare coverage.

If you look at the schedule though, the only other afternoon game on Fox is Cardinals-Rams. So, ya, I think the Seahawks have a shot.

CBS has afternoon games scheduled that day too and both have the :25 start time so I'm not sure which station is likely to have late game. Maybe both? For me though, one of the CBS games is Denver-Raiders so I doubt Fox would show a game opposite it. That game could be ripe for flexing though, which would open up the afternoon slot for me.

HawkGA

Reaction score
The games that week that I think have a shot of being moved into Sunday night are:
Denver-Raiders
NYG-Wash
NO-ATL

None of the other games are likely to have playoff implications. And I'm not sure that NO-ATL will by that point. So really I think it will come down to Denver-Raiders or NYG-Wash.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
We need to set up a drinking board game for Aikman this weekend. First two spaces. "Ezekiel Elliott (bonus drink if he calls him Zeke)" and "Dak Prescott"

Seanhawk

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":361esozj said:
There is something I like about Buck that the other TV guys don't seem to do as well. It's before and during the time when the ball is snapped, he will allow the play to develop in silence for a moment. Then, when it looks like Russ is back to pass, he just says, "Wilson...!" then, while the good thing happens, he picks up with the more exact calling. "...and caught by Graham across the middle!".

That hesitation and "let things play out" silence is reminiscent of the Marv Albert/Michael Jordan calls when Marv would just go, "Jordan.... Yes!!!!". Makes things funner I think. You have to pay more attention to the visuals.

I know that a lot of people enjoy the Raible-esque detailed radio-type chatter with the formation explanations, but I can see all that. Don't need to hear that Wilson is in the shotgun on every down, I can see it. Now, when it's an empty backfield, I may need to hear that as I watch the defense a lot and don't always pay attention to the RBs as much.

Anybody with me?

No question. I forget if it was a college game or a preseason game earlier this year, but there was a radio play by play guy filling in on the TV broadcast and he announced the game like he was doing it on the radio. It was one more annoying games that I've watched. As I type this, I believe it was the Hawk-Viking preseason game broadcast on NFL Network with Viking radio guy Paul Allen on the call.

seahawksny

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1l71e0tv said:
HoustonHawk82":1l71e0tv said:

Anybody with me?

No question. I forget if it was a college game or a preseason game earlier this year, but there was a radio play by play guy filling in on the TV broadcast and he announced the game like he was doing it on the radio. It was one more annoying games that I've watched. As I type this, I believe it was the Hawk-Viking preseason game broadcast on NFL Network with Viking radio guy Paul Allen on the call.

Yes- He lets the play speak for itself. In Baseball as well. Him and his father both( Of Blessed Memory)

My favorites include...
Every time a HR is hit in a game 6 to win the game, him and his father both eloquently state......................................................."WE'LL SEE YOU TOMORROW NIGHT!!!!!" Love that.

Also

NFCCG against Green Bay, If you watch the Highlights on Beast' TD in 4th quarter to put us ahead for first time. He said....

"LYNCH...........BEAST MODE...........MARSHAWN..........TOUCHDOWN." Each one with more fervor than the one before it. Great stuff. Yes, a lot like Marv Albert. Summerall had same flavor as well

Uncle Si

Reaction score
seahawksny":1df7ymqm said:
NFCCG against Green Bay, If you watch the Highlights on Beast' TD in 4th quarter to put us ahead for first time. He said....

"LYNCH...........BEAST MODE...........MARSHAWN..........TOUCHDOWN." Each one with more fervor than the one before it. Great stuff. Yes, a lot like Marv Albert. Summerall had same flavor as well

That's a great call. Doesn't count off the yards, or talk about breaking tackles..just let's the play happen and brings the energy up with his voice. Then there is a good 25 seconds of silence by the announcers to let us all here the crowd.

Guy is great to listen to.

[youtube]5ubbFDQwaPU[/youtube]

seahawksny

Reaction score
Uncle Si":29jcapni said:
seahawksny":29jcapni said:

That's a great call. Doesn't count off the yards, or talk about breaking tackles..just let's the play happen and brings the energy up with his voice. Then there is a good 25 seconds of silence by the announcers to let us all here the crowd.

Guy is great to listen to.

[youtube]5ubbFDQwaPU[/youtube]

Exactly- lets the play, crowd, do the talking.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Steve2222":235m3oe7 said:
sutz":235m3oe7 said:
HawkGA":235m3oe7 said:
I've already checked my local listings and I should be getting the game (so yay for you other Colorado Seahawks fans!).

I too have been impressed by the number of games I've gotten this year. Very pleased.
Perhaps it is a sign that we finally are 'arriving.' Since Pete, we've been in the playoffs every year but one, have been to two SBs, and in season have gone toe-to-toe with some perennial favorites around the league. Perhaps we earned the right to having eyes on us in the minds of the producers and fans around the country. Plus, beyond all of the winning, we tend to play the kind of games they like, that come down to the 4th quarter, and have drama as well as quality play. They probably get to charge advertisers more for their 4th Quarter spots because of teams like us. ;)

Maybe some of the 'hate' we get is because people are starting to get tired of us being on TV instead of their favorites, much like we hate teams like Dallas because they are "always on."

:2thumbs:

Is this post from 2013?

We arrived to the national scene after 2012.

:lol: :lol:

TBH I think even you're a year late. After the Hawks went on that crazy streak toward the back of the '12 season where they scored something like 150 points in three games, the national media narrative was that despite being a WC team they could very well be the best team in the NFL. They walked into the '13 season still riding the wave of that narrative, as I recall, and haven't hopped off it yet.