Browner given pay raise.. Not an extension

Subzero717

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":10fwrbt4 said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":10fwrbt4 said:
Other than creating goodwill with his teammates and showing that this organization will reward its players for a job well done, why would the team want to increase his salary without adding any more years to his deal?
It's probably incentives laden. This "raise" might not be guaranteed.

No offense but why do you care?

hidn

Reaction score
The only reason I can think of to do this is to allow a signing bonus to be applied to only the length of his remaining contract. So instead of a 5 mil signing bonus being spread over the length of say 3 years it only effects the cap for the remaining year of his contract.

I guess what I'm saying is: Perhaps they are exploiting a loophole in the salary cap system.

bigcc

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":33i15222 said:
SoHo9erFan":33i15222 said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":33i15222 said:
Other than creating goodwill with his teammates and showing that this organization will reward its players for a job well done, why would the team want to increase his salary without adding any more years to his deal?

the salary cap rolls over into next year, so the money we paid him could've gone towards the next FA class

Cartire

Reaction score
bigcc":uzm9ui2p said:
the salary cap rolls over into next year, so the money we paid him could've gone towards the next FA class

Currently, we are 1.3 m under the cap. I dont expect much more to change from this point on. However, we have a lot of contracts this year that are front loaded. So we should have a lot of space next year just on those contracts alone having more cap friendly values in 2014.

Plus, I whole heartily believe Rice is cut next year.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3d1hpvvg said:
This is called doing right.

We should applaud this deal, even if not an extension. It tells players that the Seahawks do right if a player earns it.

This was my first thought as well. Carroll and Schneider are not the cold hearted businessmen of the Patriots. They inspire loyalty and then prove it in return. Between this and the Leon Washington cut, you can really see how they want to do right by their guys while still dealing with the business side of things.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Are we entirely certain BB didnt threaten to hold out? I mean, we was making 550k and is 28 years old. He has the resume, and needs to maximize the years he has left (3-4 good ones).

Seems plausible to me that we don't actually want to resign him to an extension, at least for what he wants/could get on the open market. We may have just given him a bump to get him on the field this year without issue.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":cz7ol5sf said:
Are we entirely certain BB didnt threaten to hold out? I mean, we was making 550k and is 28 years old. He has the resume, and needs to maximize the years he has left (3-4 good ones).

Seems plausible to me that we don't actually want to resign him to an extension, at least for what he wants/could get on the open market. We may have just given him a bump to get him on the field this year without issue.

Would you threaten to hold out given the amount of talent accrued in our backfield? Jeremy Lane has to be salivating for a chance to steal Browner's spot. I love Browner, but he is not indispensable enough to have that kind of leverage.

Sac

Reaction score
bigcc":t0cy38g0 said:
CALIHAWK1":t0cy38g0 said:
SoHo9erFan":t0cy38g0 said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen said:

True, but the new tv deal money kicks in next year too I think.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
The guy was outrageously underpaid.

Even Jeron Johnson and Byron Maxwell were going to make more than him this year.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2hgjb75x said:
SoHo9erFan":2hgjb75x said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":2hgjb75x said:

Maybe because I like football. Maybe because I go to NYU Law School and contracts interest me. Maybe because I actually follow other teams besides the 49ers

Hawks46

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":31w3q1gb said:
How does Browner not get the kind of love he deserves around here? Browner is a beast, and his skills set is NOT something that could bee replaced easily.

He towers over any other player in any other secondary, and most wrs. It's almost impossible to throw over him, even if he's trailing. He's hugely disruptive at the LOS and consistently knocks receivers off their routes.

Beast I said.

And because he doesn't rely on speed, his skills won't diminish with age the way other corners would. He could maul people for a long long time.

I totally agree. I feel like I've been a Browner advocate at times since he is so taken for granted here. I posted something recently in another thread saying that there are a few guys with Sherman's skill set/athletic measurables in the league (namely Peterson, both Cromarties, Jimmy Smith looks to be developing that way)....what makes Sherm great is his intellect and his underrated recovery speed.

Thing is Browner isn't slow, he's just now quick side to side. Look at the play where he runs AP down from behind. AP runs a legit 4.4 forty and Browner catches him from behind, coming from the side of the field, and about 15 yards back. I'm beyond thrilled we locked Browner up...like you said Sac, go ahead and try to replace Browner. There isn't another guy in the league, in the last draft, or any Seniors in college I've heard about that has that skill set/physical measurables.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
He does have underrated speed. When he showed up at the VMAC for a tryout, they signed him after he ran the 40, they were impressed.

I always think of the pick 6 against New York. He took it from the 5 yard line to endzone. He can move.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Browner is the other guy that makes the Legion of Boom what it is.

He is our intimidator, and one of the most physical guys on our defense. He, not Sherman, hits almost as hard as Bam Bam. While ET is our center fielder and probably our most important player, Browner is the guy that annoys the WRs. He is ridiculously valuable and is ridiculously underpaid.

The guy came in and performed for us doing what CBs that get paid 4-5x what he did cannot do. He was a big part of some of our best wins and people want to complain that he might get extended? There are three guys that are ridiculously undervalued on this team, that people seem to think can be easily replaced and Browner is one of those guys.

You frankly cannot replace what Browner brings to the table. Look at interviews of WRs and a lot of them talk about how they hate people putting their hands on them. They hate being messed with as they run their routes. Browner does not just put his hands on them. He slams them. And it p*sses them off, so they fight, they do stupid things, they don't run the right routes or they tense up when he gets near.

There is a value there and since he was underpaid since he got here, he certainly deserves a little payback for what he has helped turn this team into. He is a key cog in our success but gets paid like a punter. Ridiculous.

He deserved a raise and an extension.

amill87

Reaction score
Stuff like this is going to be the sole reason that this team is good for awhile.

While the coaching and talent evaluation is superb, this team has the reputation of paying players that perform. It's already starting to work to bring in FA's. The last two offseasons, we have brought in the top FAs at their positions and it didn't cost us a fortune. Players know that they can come here and earn a big check and get a chance to win.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
The fact of the matter is that over the next few years we will, by necessity, be saying goodbye to more than a few fan favorites. That is the nature of the business. But my question is would they really want to be facing Browner should he leave for say a divisional rival? Browner is a Stud in every way that matters. Had he not had the Adderall issue last season then I think a lot of the current fanbase would have a different (+) view of him.

Cartire

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":2p6hdcnk said:
He does have underrated speed. When he showed up at the VMAC for a tryout, they signed him after he ran the 40, they were impressed.

I always think of the pick 6 against New York. He took it from the 5 yard line to endzone. He can move.

The best example of speed that comes to mind is his chase down if AD from across the field. I made gif so we can all drool a bit. Its shitty, but it will juggle everyones memories.

bloggif_51f2b4876b71a.gif

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Cartire":1vtl46pb said:
twisted_steel2":1vtl46pb said:

The best example of speed that comes to mind is his chase down if AD from across the field. I made gif so we can all drool a bit. Its shitty, but it will juggle everyones memories.

bloggif_51f2b4876b71a.gif

Exactly the play I was thinking of! His closing speed was awe inspiring there!

mikeak

Reaction score
You can make a guy restructure his contract to help the team and then cut him the next season because you can.........

or

You can give a player a raise because he deserves it

Now it is possible that he threatened with holding out etc but very unlikely considering the situation in the secondary