Brock sort of has a point here (coach of the year)

Laloosh

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BrockESPN/status/561707125676589056[/tweet]

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Yeah the media had already chosen Arians as Coach of the year by Week 10, it really didn't matter what happened after that. There are plenty of articles that said he was going to win it all throughout the season.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
We did finish 11-1 over the last 12 games ... wow. Never looked at it like that.
Wasn't this like the toughest schedule in the NFL over that stretch of games too?

sc85sis

Reaction score
Neither Peter nor John has ever gotten credit for what they've done with the Seahawks when it comes to awards. I know they don't really care about that type of recognition, but I can't help it--it bugs the heck out of me.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
joeseahawks":2z1m9jl5 said:
We did finish 11-1 over the last 12 games ... wow. Never looked at it like that.
Wasn't this like the toughest schedule in the NFL over that stretch of games too?

At the beginning of the season it looked like a gauntlet, yeah. Unfortunately, losing starting QBs for our divisional rivals somewhat blunted the belief that they were difficult opponents. Of course it had to be them and not the Seahawks that made them look ordinary.

Rat

Reaction score
Winning the SB last year and having SB expectations screwed Pete on this. It always goes to the coach of the team that most exceeded expectations, which is pretty stupid, but has been going on for a while.

sutz

Reaction score
BullHawk33":3qucx70u said:
joeseahawks":3qucx70u said:

At the beginning of the season it looked like a gauntlet, yeah. Unfortunately, losing starting QBs for our divisional rivals somewhat blunted the belief that they were difficult opponents. Of course it had to be them and not the Seahawks that made them look ordinary.
Yeah, but they were mostly 'elite' defenses. IIRC our 3 dev rivals were all in the top 10 or 12 teams in the league, not the conference, the league. 5 of those games were against those 3 div rivals, and 2 of those 3 have Top 10 (maybe 5?) pass rush units. While we were holding our opponents to less than 10 pts/game, we weren't scoring much more than 20 either.

Several of those games were against top flite offenses, too, including Philly and Green Bay.

Thankfully, steel sharpens steel. After that stretch, it's hard to imagine the Pats can do any worse, even with Bellycheck dreaming up creative schemes. The Seahawks are pretty well prepared by experience.

BC-Hawk

Reaction score
Pete not winning the coach of the year is a joke. We already started the season in the most difficult division in the most difficult conference and then got handed one of the toughest schedules in the league with an early bye week on top of that. Then came the injuries piling up and the 3-3 start combined with the Percy Harvin fiasco that he had to deal with. And then he led the team on an 11-1 run through all of that crap to emerge as NFC Champion with a chance to win back-to-back championships. But I guess that's not as impressive as fading down the stretch, choking away a division title and losing to a sub .500 team in the playoffs.

Coach Of The Year my ass. :roll:

drdiags

Reaction score
Win the Lombardi, that is the ultimate reward. Has Bill B ever won coach of the year? I think of these rewards the same as I do the Pro-Bowl. Sure, I would like to see our guys get the cred but national sentiment among the teams is what it is. The HC of the year as well as GM of the year is voted on by other NFL FO types, so you cannot blame the media directly.

They probably help FO guys shape their opinion but it is done by their peers who should know.

cacksman

Reaction score
BC-Hawk":awf53uli said:
Pete not winning the coach of the year is a joke. We already started the season in the most difficult division in the most difficult conference and then got handed one of the toughest schedules in the league with an early bye week on top of that. Then came the injuries piling up and the 3-3 start combined with the Percy Harvin fiasco that he had to deal with. And then he led the team on an 11-1 run through all of that crap to emerge as NFC Champion with a chance to win back-to-back championships. But I guess that's not as impressive as fading down the stretch, choking away a division title and losing to a sub .500 team in the playoffs.

Coach Of The Year my ass. :roll:

:slowclap:

Reaneypark

Reaction score
He's not a good coach because he has good players.

(Never mind that Pete brought them here and made them who they are.)

nepahawk

Reaction score
sc85sis":uq374wlk said:
Neither Peter nor John has ever gotten credit for what they've done with the Seahawks when it comes to awards. I know they don't really care about that type of recognition, but I can't help it--it bugs the heck out of me.

I'm not sure but, deep down doesn't everyone want to be appreciated for what they've done?
Whether they vocalize it or not, awards are nice. Granted winning a Lombardi trumps all!!

irocdave

Reaction score
I get where everyone is coming from, but Pete can cement his legacy with another SB win. How many coaches have won 2 college national championships and two Lombardi's? None. If the hawks win tomorrow, Pete will stand alone in.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
It's a back-hand compliment (and a testament ) at/to Pete's success. He doesn't 'deserve' to win because the team massively under performed against expectations. Even now, the Hawks are where they were supposed to be at when the season started. That's slightly backwards logic, but it's not like the people who vote on these types of things *cough* the media *cough* ever actually use stats or investigate the assumptions they've made.

Which is probably all the more disgusting given how many of those same people expected Seattle to succumb to the Super Bowl winner's "curse", but whatevs. Here they are on the eve of the repeat.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Pete Carroll is the true Coach of the Year. To finish with the league's No. 1 seed -- and bring this team back the Super Bowl -- is a feat that few coaches have ever accomplished.

And he did it in the face of controversy (Percy Harvin trade) and numerous injuries (19 players sent to IR, including Brandon Mebane, Jordan Hill, Paul Richardson, Zach Miller, etc.)

If the Seahawks do Re-Pete and go for an unprecedented Three-Pete in 2015, Carroll should be the frontrunner for Coach of the Year.

MLTHawk

Reaction score
joeseahawks":1f1ssmcy said:
12-1 has a nice RING to it!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
MLTHawk":r8rc2wlr said:
joeseahawks":r8rc2wlr said:
As it should be, so it will be, a nice SB ring to it :vodka:

BC-Hawk

Reaction score
MLTHawk":2fohmquq said:
joeseahawks":2fohmquq said:

I see what you did there. 8) :thirishdrinkers:

themunn

Reaction score
drdiags":u0pjtpbk said:
Win the Lombardi, that is the ultimate reward. Has Bill B ever won coach of the year?

Yes. 3 times.