Bringing in Jared Allen would likely be a mistake

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Seaswab":3ii9lafc said:
We seem to think people will take way less to play here

And The fact that he carried a $17,000,000+ cap hit last year kinda adds a whole 'nuther dimension to "way less" doesn't it?

Never saw the pieces falling into place for Allen being a Hawk...

hawksfansince90

Reaction score
kf3339":pifp1qmj said:
Man I really don't understand some of the comments on this thread. It's like some posters are taking his decision process personal which is just plain stupid.

The man has a right to take as long as he wants, and look at all options before making up his mind. Just like the front office have the right to look at all options before they make up their mind.

Let the process play out and don't get caught up in the minute by minute gossip.

I've noticed the same thing too. It's like some posters have personal vendetta against the guy. Not just in here about Allen either. It's the same thing with some 12's going after Tate on twitter and also on here too in that Thread.

Seems like some posters and 12's have gotten cocky and arrogant since winning SB. They need to dial it down and get the chip off their shoulder.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Wenhawk":r54yocvr said:
I think Allen would be a huge coupe. I might seem like a lot but if we truly want to win back to back SB's adding a guy like Allen could put this D to the next level. If he can get a 10+ sack season he's worth 7 mil for sure.
I don't know... He seems more like a sedan to me

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
How about this? I don't think we need him and he hasn't changed one iota since Kansas City? Let our young guys play already it worked fine for Kansas City.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":yce5605l said:
How about this? I don't think we need him and he hasn't changed one iota since Kansas City? Let our young guys play already it worked fine for Kansas City.

Its never a bad thing when you got solid developing talent and giving them the opportunity to showcase their ability to the rest of the NFL.

Its how you wash, rinse, and repeat for compensation picks.

Also, its never a bad thing when you got a bunch of players that DESERVE to be paid... already existing on the team.

C'mon Seahawks, unless you can get him at a bargain 1 year, 5 million.. just say NO.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2zv94r86 said:
MizzouHawkGal":2zv94r86 said:

Its never a bad thing when you got solid developing talent and giving them the opportunity to showcase their ability to the rest of the NFL.

Its how you wash, rinse, and repeat for compensation picks.

Also, its never a bad thing when you got a bunch of players that DESERVE to be paid... already existing on the team.

C'mon Seahawks, unless you can get him at a bargain 1 year, 5 million.. just say NO.
I think that's exactly what they did hence he's talking with his wife "mulling over his options".

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Sacks are such a misleading stat... if Allen continually pressured the QB and wound up with 7 or 8 sacks, that's still great because you're still making the quarterback very uncomfortable and leading them into mistakes (see Peyton Manning, Super Bowl).

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1q1buf5d said:

We don't "need" anyone really on defense.. Allen would be a luxury addition. A fantastic one at that.

But JS/PC aren't about to pay him $10M a year either.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kf3339":bgotpvpq said:
TheWalrus":bgotpvpq said:
I agree, price is everything. How is this for price?

@christomasson: Seahawks I'm told might just offer Jared Allen $4 million for one year.

If that is our offer to him I would be insulted as well. You don't treat potential FA's that have true value like crap just because you think it can be done. That's not how I would like our franchise to be considered around the league.

For what it's worth though, I seriously don't believe that offer was made to him at all.

Uh.. have you seen our upcoming FA's?

We're not low-balling him.. we're giving him an opportunity to win a Super Bowl, have a great year and cash in again next year. All while fitting it in within the budget where we have a ton of guys we need to keep.

Spending MORE than 4-5M for a year would be reckless IMO given the extensions that are coming down the pipeline

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":nn2p4zg0 said:
gowazzu02":nn2p4zg0 said:
With our Defense, Allen wouldn't play as many snaps, so he wouldnt' be a huge sack total guy. Think the same number as MB last year, 8. 8.5.

Absolutely. Our rotation was so important last year, as our D-line wasn't often gassed in the 4th quarter. Allen wouldn't have to be a sack monster with us as long as he is effective when he has his chances. Clemons, Avril, and Bennett were very effective as disruptors, even though their numbers weren't gaudy, (cf. the Super Bowl). Seattle disproved the old Stat CW in one game; we only had one credited sack (Clemons, 1 for 6 yards), but it might as well have been 15.

The stat factor might have hurt Bennett in FA, but it didn't hurt the team when it mattered.
Cliff Avril got eight sacks and only played half the snaps.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Anyone remember Patrick Kerney? Dude had 14.5 sacks at age 31 with Seattle. Then his shoulder turned to crap, body broke down, and he wasn't effective after that, despite surgeries. Never for lack of effort and hustle though.
I think Jared Allen should be looked at through a Patrick Kerney lens. We might get one, or at most 2, good seasons from Jared Allen before his body breaks.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
I still think allen has some gas left in the tank, but at this point I don't really like the idea of paying significant money to anyone. Allen to me is still one of those players that I would welcome at a bargain, but not close to market.

I really just prefer the draft. Players are cheap and controlled for a number of years.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3q4xwpbc said:
MizzouHawkGal":3q4xwpbc said:

We don't "need" anyone really on defense.. Allen would be a luxury addition. A fantastic one at that.

I don't mean to get too off topic, but the last time the hawks made a luxury addition it didn't work out.

No more "luxuries". We have a legitimate WEAKNESS at o-line, and I am 100% confident that protecting Wilson is more important than adding Allen, at least I pray thats how the front office views it.

Watching allen get sacks would leave a bitter taste in my mouth if Wilson suffers an injury.

We got our QB and we need to protect him, and unless Cable plans on converting Allen to an offensive lineman we need to look elsewhere.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Agreed we have to stop bullshitting with the OL. At least something decent beyond Okung. Take a chance in the 2nd round at least.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":3nmsxjw7 said:
Hasselbeck":3nmsxjw7 said:
MizzouHawkGal":3nmsxjw7 said:

I don't mean to get too off topic, but the last time the hawks made a luxury addition it didn't work out.

No more "luxuries". We have a legitimate WEAKNESS at o-line, and I am 100% confident that protecting Wilson is more important than adding Allen, at least I pray thats how the front office views it.

Watching allen get sacks would leave a bitter taste in my mouth if Wilson suffers an injury.

We got our QB and we need to protect him, and unless Cable plans on converting Allen to an offensive lineman we need to look elsewhere.

You mean Harvin?

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Overpaying for past production is something our old regime did. I would like to think that if Allen is signed it will be a fair deal for both sides.

Allen still gets sacks but rarely beats guys to get them. Most his sacks now are hustle sacks. You don't give a guy big coin to get hustle sacks. If we were going to do that we would have never cut Clemons.

I am of the opinion you pass on Allen unless it's a sweetheart deal.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
bjornanderson21":2icv3w5b said:
Hasselbeck":2icv3w5b said:
MizzouHawkGal":2icv3w5b said:

Signing Allen does not mean that we can't also improve our OL. This is not an either/or proposition.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
-The Glove-":3tf5u868 said:
bjornanderson21":3tf5u868 said:
Hasselbeck":3tf5u868 said:
MizzouHawkGal":3tf5u868 said:

You mean Harvin?
I know you don't like the trade but get real. Thanks for the weaksauce at SeahawkBlue. Next time how about you come at me face to face?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":29tho4un said:
Overpaying for past production is something our old regime did. I would like to think that if Allen is signed it will be a fair deal for both sides.

Allen still gets sacks but rarely beats guys to get them. Most his sacks now are hustle sacks. You don't give a guy big coin to get hustle sacks. If we were going to do that we would have never cut Clemons.

I am of the opinion you pass on Allen unless it's a sweetheart deal.
This. I really would rather stand with what we have.