Bringing in Jared Allen would likely be a mistake

jake206

Reaction score
Just worried he'll get gashed on a run-down or by read-option. I'm not worried about his pass-rushing skills. Man, still can sack a QB.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2oxy75oa said:
Price is everything.

That's why I never really got the whole thing with Allen coming to Seattle.

IIRC he had the biggest cap hit of any non-QB last year. And we expect him to sign for a reasonable price? Who does that?
Let someone else overpay him.

Melton, too...

BlueTalon

Reaction score
KK84":yxzf1hxa said:
Our Man in Chicago":yxzf1hxa said:
Largent80":yxzf1hxa said:
If you want to see something ridiculous, look at Dallas' contracts. 10 mil. for Brandon Carr?....who is that? Kyle Orton 3.5, and then the absurd Romo contract.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/

The fact that they're paying B. Weeden anything is shocking in and of itself.
You're underestimating the importance of having a backup qb with the same qualities as your starter. If Romo goes down, you gotta have someone step in who is competent at throwing picks.
That made me laugh.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Here's the thing though, why does it make sense to continue handing out contracts to players who haven't done a single thing?

Do we need Jared Allen, or would he be a luxury?

Seahawks need to take care of these priorities first before it should be handing money to non-Seahawk free agents.:

1. Richard Sherman (absolutely)
2. Earl Thomas (absolutely)
3. Doug Baldwin (would be nice)
4. K.J. Wright (would be nice)
5. Malcolm Smith (possibly)
6. Byron Maxwell (possibly)
7. Russell Okung (possibly)
8. Cliff Avril (possibly)

ivotuk

Reaction score
I'm not interested in Allen anymore. I appreciate what he's trying to do for himself, but I don't see the desire to be on a winning team and contribute. His focus seems to be on money, and that just won't fly here. Let someone else pay him, while we re-sign our own people.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
bryantology79":1z6ikp6l said:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/18/report-jared-allen-unlikely-to-sign-with-cowboys/

yeah cause theyre BROKE!

They were already before Melton. Nothing's changed.

TheWalrus

Reaction score
I agree, price is everything. How is this for price?

@christomasson: Seahawks I'm told might just offer Jared Allen $4 million for one year.

Davehawk

Reaction score
I'd take Allen for anything less than 8M a year myself. 7-8M/year sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

kf3339

Reaction score
TheWalrus":g70toxx9 said:
I agree, price is everything. How is this for price?

@christomasson: Seahawks I'm told might just offer Jared Allen $4 million for one year.

If that is our offer to him I would be insulted as well. You don't treat potential FA's that have true value like crap just because you think it can be done. That's not how I would like our franchise to be considered around the league.

For what it's worth though, I seriously don't believe that offer was made to him at all.

kf3339

Reaction score
ivotuk":27bp02h4 said:
I'm not interested in Allen anymore. I appreciate what he's trying to do for himself, but I don't see the desire to be on a winning team and contribute. His focus seems to be on money, and that just won't fly here. Let someone else pay him, while we re-sign our own people.

Why, just because he is taking his time to make a decision and is trying to make the best deal for himself?

He has said or done nothing that should make any of us feel that he is not focused on going to a winning program that gives him a legitimate shot at a Super Bowl ring.

Lets just see how this plays out before we dump on the man.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
ivotuk":jm198415 said:
Agreed. Maybe I wrong though and he would come here for under market. We'll see soon enough.

kf3339

Reaction score
Man I really don't understand some of the comments on this thread. It's like some posters are taking his decision process personal which is just plain stupid.

The man has a right to take as long as he wants, and look at all options before making up his mind. Just like the front office have the right to look at all options before they make up their mind.

Let the process play out and don't get caught up in the minute by minute gossip.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I think Allen would be a huge coupe. I might seem like a lot but if we truly want to win back to back SB's adding a guy like Allen could put this D to the next level. If he can get a 10+ sack season he's worth 7 mil for sure.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":12s7cn1c said:
TeamoftheCentury":12s7cn1c said:
Did Jared Allen (or his agent) not have any idea of the ballpark Seattle would be in to acquire him before they set up a visit? If it's so insulting to him, why even bother? You would think that there had to be enough there to warrant a visit. Perhaps he does care enough about being with a winning team. Sort of odd that his visit had been reported as somewhat secretive.

Of course Allen and his agent had an idea of what we're willing to pay before coming here. But that doesn't mean they're not going to go to other cities first to see if another team will pay more...........a LOT more.

My guess is Pete and John told Allen that they're willing to give him 5-6M, maybe even 7-8M the first year on a two year deal. Which means that might be good enough to get him if Dallas or another team doesn't give him more.

But like I said, Jerry Jone's ego knows no bounds, so I fully expect him to overpay for Allen.........especially after cutting Ware, they're desperate for DE's.
Really? "Of Course?" All I'm saying is why bother if they know it isn't what they're looking for? (It was sort of a rhetorical question to hint that Allen IS quite possibly about more than just money to play for a ring. Hence, the next part of my opening paragraph... the enough to warrant a visit part. ;)

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I seem to think this team would be better off giving the rest of their cap space to guys who have worked hard the last 3-4 years and who deserve to be paid much more so than Jared freakin Allen.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Seaswab":7aygmuna said:
We seem to think people will take way less to play here
Nah, just thinking it through knowing the guys the Seahawks need to lock up and what they might be able to offer. But, it's not unheard of that players nearing the end of their careers would take a reasonable deal in the right situation if it meant a great shot at getting that elusive championship.