Brian Schottenheimer

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":19ruuwe1 said:
RolandDeschain":19ruuwe1 said:
We haven't seen him be an OC for us yet, but plenty of people are saying he's worse than Bevell? Jesus Christ.

Welcome to Seattle, Mr. Schottenheimer.
So much this!

Folks are either butt hurt because their guy just got fired, or their guy didn’t get hired.
This guy isn’t my first choice, but he can’t be worse then the last guy, who set a pretty low bar to step over.
No people are worried about the hire because he hasn’t received good reviews at his previous attempts to be an OC both at the college level or the NFL. He may be able to add something from all of his experience but great play calling seems like a long shot. There must be a reason though that our first choice for OC is a guy who has failed in his previous three attempts. We can only guess what that reason might be.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
fifty9fan":2ovqtnoq said:
I remember a head coach that went 41-55 in his first 6 seasons. Dude's name is Bill Belichick.

I also remember Pete Carroll getting run out of the NFL on a rail after going 33-31 as a head coach with the Jets and Pats. Comes back in 2010 and has gone 79-48 since.

Bet the folks in Buffalo were just thrilled to get Marv Levy, who went 31-42 in 5 seasons with KC. 4 Superbowl appearances later, and a 112-70 record with the Bills created one of the NFL's great runs, and if the ball had bounced differently a couple of times, they may have been named among the dynasties of the late 80's/early 90's.

Point is, I don't think any of us have any idea what Schotty is gonna bring to the Seahawk table...just like the fans of the Pats, Seahawks and Bills had no clue either. And many of them cursed those hires, but in time, discovered the ability of humans to adapt, grow and succeed in new environments. Here's hoping the same thing happens to Schotty. I, for one, welcome his hire and hope for great results. And I can't wait to see what he does with Russ!!

It's certainly possible it may turn out to be a less than stellar hire, but right now, it's all good.

Go Hawks!!
Great points.

notyou

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3vfe7w73 said:
No people are worried about the hire because he hasn’t received good reviews at his previous attempts to be an OC both at the college level or the NFL. He may be able to add something from all of his experience but great play calling seems like a long shot. There must be a reason though that our first choice for OC is a guy who has failed in his previous three attempts. We can only guess what that reason might be.

He probably thinks he can fix him like Blair Walsh

Joyodongo

Reaction score
HommyHawk":xwkm74m8 said:
If we do hire him then we are tweaking and not rebuilding which to me is a good sign.we really only needed a reliable kicking game these last two seasons and would have finished with 11 or 12 wins.new coach new tendencies and hopefully no zbs.I trust Pete not because I'm a homer (I am)but because he has earned it. Go Hawks!
If you think our only problem is the kicking game ...

AgentDib

Reaction score
Looks like the scapegoat train will be rolling full steam into the season. If this news is true then for Schottenheimer's sake I hope the first play of the season is not a poorly blocked bubble screen.

Honestly, what do most of you really know about John DeFilippo to get this worked up about not hiring him? He has exactly one season as OC with the Browns when they finished 30th in offense and he wasn't kept when they turned over the staff. An unknown can be exciting just like a lottery ticket because there's always that small chance of winning the jackpot. Remember that you don't need to win the lottery to be successful and a strategy based on winning the lottery is a poor way to manage both your life and your favorite sports teams.

Maybe Schottenheimer is a lateral move from Bevell, but we won a Superbowl with Bevell. Three of the best run offenses this season belonged to the Eagles, Saints, and Bills and all three looked seriously flawed last year at this time. It's a long offseason and how successful we are in 2018 is going to depend on many, many factors beyond whoever our new OC is.

Danny Darko

Reaction score
AgentDib":90l9kwp4 said:
Looks like the scapegoat train will be rolling full steam into the season. If this news is true then for Schottenheimer's sake I hope the first play of the season is not a poorly blocked bubble screen.

Honestly, what do most of you really know about John DeFilippo to get this worked up about not hiring him? He has exactly one season as OC with the Browns when they finished 30th in offense and he wasn't kept when they turned over the staff. An unknown can be exciting just like a lottery ticket because there's always that small chance of winning the jackpot. Remember that you don't need to win the lottery to be successful and a strategy based on winning the lottery is a poor way to manage both your life and your favorite sports teams.

Maybe Schottenheimer is a lateral move from Bevell, but we won a Superbowl with Bevell. Three of the best run offenses this season belonged to the Eagles, Saints, and Bills and all three looked seriously flawed last year at this time. It's a long offseason and how successful we are in 2018 is going to depend on many, many factors beyond whoever our new OC is.

and if it's a lateral move... I think it's safe to assume Schotty would have run Beast Mode, so at least there's that.

HawaiiD

Reaction score
getnasty":owtximze said:
Down Under Hawk":owtximze said:
getnasty":owtximze said:
Hard to get excited about this, my buddy is a Georgia fan and claims he was bad there too. Finished in the bottom half of offenses 7 of 8 seasons in the NFL. That's bullshit

This thread is exactly the same negative nelly shit that was espoused on .NET when PC was hired. I am having deja vue all over again.

Give the guy a chance. The bigger issue will be getting some bodies for the O line and a Oline coach that actually gets them blocking. I think people will be pleasently surprised bu Schotts.

The team no longer has 2 people running the O and will now have one clear focus and direction that is much more of a change up O than 3 play DB could ever do.

Oh I'm gonna give him a chance but if you think this hire is anything other then underwhelming your lying to yourself.
So your saying that you have the final decision on his hiring? Lol i just had to[emoji6]

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

TwilightError

Reaction score
Did someone think the hawks were going to hire some sexy coach who throws it creatively across the field? It was always goin to be a hardnose running guy. Let’s see what he brings and then judge.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out, who takes the play calling duties and whether he calls from the booth or the sidelines. It wouldn’t have been my number one pick, but his only OC experience was playing for Fischer, who’s often been called the worst HC in the NFL. With the right leadership and leeway, he might be able to unlock something!

seahawksny

Reaction score
hawknation2018":v25ldp9r said:
Give him a chance, heathens.

Exactly
Can't have it both ways.

McDaniel wasn't available. Why is that so hard to understand

seacat1

Reaction score
Does anyone know if his teams that he has been OC for use Zone Blocking ?

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
fifty9fan":233evinv said:
I remember a head coach that went 41-55 in his first 6 seasons. Dude's name is Bill Belichick.

I also remember Pete Carroll getting run out of the NFL on a rail after going 33-31 as a head coach with the Jets and Pats. Comes back in 2010 and has gone 79-48 since.

Bet the folks in Buffalo were just thrilled to get Marv Levy, who went 31-42 in 5 seasons with KC. 4 Superbowl appearances later, and a 112-70 record with the Bills created one of the NFL's great runs, and if the ball had bounced differently a couple of times, they may have been named among the dynasties of the late 80's/early 90's.

Point is, I don't think any of us have any idea what Schotty is gonna bring to the Seahawk table...just like the fans of the Pats, Seahawks and Bills had no clue either. And many of them cursed those hires, but in time, discovered the ability of humans to adapt, grow and succeed in new environments. Here's hoping the same thing happens to Schotty. I, for one, welcome his hire and hope for great results. And I can't wait to see what he does with Russ!!

It's certainly possible it may turn out to be a less than stellar hire, but right now, it's all good.

Go Hawks!!

Now THERE's a voice of reason and experience! Absolutely right. Look, Brian Scottenheimer is 44 years old -- 44 years old! Some people here seem to be treating him like he's 94 years old, sitting in an Alzheimer's unit, spending his days chewing on his dentures or something. 44 is pretty darned young people ... and like fifty9fan is saying, people re-invent themselves all the time. They figure things out ... adapt over time ... and can actually make some pretty significant personal changes and the way they approach things.

I'll raise my hand as one of those. I turn 47 next month (so I'm just a shade older than Scottenheimer here). Speaking purely for myself, when I was in my 20s (as I look back now), I thought I was pretty smart and knew everything. In my 30s, I would say that I came to realize that I didn't know as much as I thought I did. As a whole, I was fairly stressed and worried during those years, spending most of my energies figuring out career and how to provide for my family. I worked myself to death in a lot of ways, trying to please my bosses and make everyone around me happy. As I read the Patton Richard Piece that Maelstrom787 posted above, I see a lot of my past self in Schottenheimer's attitudes there. BUT, I'm not that same guy anymore. It's only been in the last 3-4 years that things have really started clicking for me. I've made some fairly significant shifts in the way I view things. I've learned from past mistakes ... and view life through much different lenses now than I did even 10 years ago. The glass is much more 1/2 full for me now (it was more 1/2 empty back then).

Let's put things into perspective by going back to Pete Carroll. You guys realize that Pete was 43 years old when he was fired by the Jets? He was 48 when he was fired by the Patriots. It was at that point (after he'd been fired the 2nd time) that he met John Wooden ... and that exchange changed the course of his life and set him on the path that he is now. Carroll said Wooden told him (I'm paraphrasing here), "You're trying to be something that you're not. Stop trying to be everyone else. Be the best you that you can be."
http://www.espn.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/18965/carroll-john-wooden-transformed-career

So, USC fans reacted to them hiring a 50 year old Pete Carroll in 2001 ... very similar to a lot of Hawk fans are reacting to Brian Schottenheimer now.

Point being, we have no idea what this version of Brian Scottenheimer is going to look like in Seattle. I would posit to you that we learn far more from our failures in life ... than ever do from our successes. It's clear that he is a very hard working passionate coach. I'm willing to give him a chance and to not pre-judge him. I sincerely hope others will as well.

fifty9fan

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":3pr7mzed said:
fifty9fan":3pr7mzed said:

Go Hawks!!

Now THERE's a voice of reason and experience! Absolutely right. Look, Brian Scottenheimer is 44 years old -- 44 years old! Some people here seem to be treating him like he's 94 years old, sitting in an Alzheimer's unit, spending his days chewing on his dentures or something. 44 is pretty darned young people ... and like fifty9fan is saying, people re-invent themselves all the time. They figure things out ... adapt over time ... and can actually make some pretty significant personal changes and the way they approach things.

I'll raise my hand as one of those. I turn 47 next month (so I'm just a shade older than Scottenheimer here). Speaking purely for myself, when I was in my 20s (as I look back now), I thought I was pretty smart and knew everything. In my 30s, I would say that I came to realize that I didn't know as much as I thought I did. As a whole, I was fairly stressed and worried during those years, spending most of my energies figuring out career and how to provide for my family. I worked myself to death in a lot of ways, trying to please my bosses and make everyone around me happy. It's only been in the last 3-4 years that things have really started clicking for me. I've made some fairly significant shifts in the way I view things. I've learned from past mistakes ... and view life through much different lenses now than I did even 10 years ago. The glass is much more 1/2 full for me now (it was more 1/2 empty back then).

Let's put things into perspective by going back to Pete Carroll. You guys realize that Pete was 43 years old when he was fired by the Jets? He was 48 when he was fired by the Patriots. It was at that point (after he'd been fired the 2nd time) that he met John Wooden ... and that exchange changed the course of his life and set him on the path that he is now. Carroll said Wooden told him (I'm paraphrasing here), "You're trying to be something that you're not. Stop trying to be everyone else. Be the best you that you can be."
http://www.espn.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/18965/carroll-john-wooden-transformed-career

So, USC fans reacted to them hiring a 50 year old Pete Carroll in 2001 ... very similar to a lot of Hawk fans are reacting to Brian Schottenheimer now.

Point being, we have no idea what this version of Brian Scottenheimer is going to look like in Seattle. I would posit to you that we learn far more from our failures in life ... than ever do from our successes. It's clear that he is a very hard working passionate coach. I'm willing to give him a chance and to not pre-judge him. I sincerely hope others will as well.

You said it wayyy better than me! :D
:irishdrinkers:

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
fifty9fan":2z349pep said:
Hawkscanner":2z349pep said:
fifty9fan":2z349pep said:

Go Hawks!!

I'll raise my hand as one of those. I turn 47 next month (so I'm just a shade older than Scottenheimer here). Speaking purely for myself, when I was in my 20s (as I look back now), I thought I was pretty smart and knew everything. In my 30s, I would say that I came to realize that I didn't know as much as I thought I did. As a whole, I was fairly stressed and worried during those years, spending most of my energies figuring out career and how to provide for my family. I worked myself to death in a lot of ways, trying to please my bosses and make everyone around me happy. It's only been in the last 3-4 years that things have really started clicking for me. I've made some fairly significant shifts in the way I view things. I've learned from past mistakes ... and view life through much different lenses now than I did even 10 years ago. The glass is much more 1/2 full for me now (it was more 1/2 empty back then).

You said it wayyy better than me! :D
:irishdrinkers:

Thanks ... and I'll add what I added on to my comments above. As I read the Patton Richard Piece that Maelstrom787 posted above, I see a lot of my past self in Schottenheimer's attitudes there. BUT, I'm personally not that same guy anymore. In that piece, Scottenheimer was 38 years then ... he's 44 years old now. I hope that he's learned a few things over time as well. My best guess is that he probably has. AND furthermore ... he strikes me as exactly the kind of guy whom Pete Carroll could have a real positive effect on. Carroll could be for Schottenheimer ... what Wooden was for Carroll. Just a thought people.

As I said, don't pre-judge this guy. Give him a chance.

Latest posts