Brian Schottenheimer

Seanhawk

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":2b8euta0 said:
People are trying to put lipstick on a pig, man.

Remember: things like "butt fumbles" happen under this guy.

I've never been more negative about an offensive coach than I am about this guy, and that included DB and TC.

I'm actually depressed over this hire.

The butt fumble happened in 2012 to the Jets. Schottenheimer was with the Rams in 2012. Whoops.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2a2nf0l5 said:
The_Z_Man":2a2nf0l5 said:

I've never been more negative about an offensive coach than I am about this guy, and that included DB and TC.

The butt fumble happened in 2012 to the Jets. Schottenheimer was with the Rams in 2012. Whoops.

Let the depressed remain depressed; it doesn't come from facts, just feelings. They have the right to feel however they wish, regardless of what it's based on.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Seanhawk":skp2igyo said:
The_Z_Man":skp2igyo said:

It was still his fault; who do you think taught Sanchez how to do it?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
This is the hire I was afraid they would make.

Just want to throw my hat in the ring so my comments are on record.

Schottenheimer Offenses are uncreative, unsuccessful, and complicated.

He's going to be working with a sub-par O-line and the whole Offense will be learning new terminology (his scheme has been criticized for being too complex).

He's had a top 15 Offense ONE TIME in his 9 seasons as OC. Never in Top 10. He's had a top 20 Offense TWO TIMES in 9 years. That's with better O-lines than what Seattle has, and twice he's had a Top 5 QB pick to groom and develop (and both became busts under his coaching).

This will not end well. He's a "yes man" for Pete who said everything Pete wanted to hear (ie: I'm going to run the ball as much as I can). I would prefer they have fired Cable and kept Bevell to this. And I wanted Bevell gone.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
flmmkrz":16zwzjls said:
I don't have a choice but to get on board but this whole process feels like an fu from Pete. We were clamoring for something different and Pete brings in the status quo. This confirms for me even more this decision to move on from DB was not from Pete it came above his head with PA and JS, so Pete went out and got himself a DB all over again. This was just change just to shut us up but it's business as usual. The idea that teams were going to be lining up for this guy is laughable, maybe this all goes great but if it does it'll be the first time an offense goes great under his watch, nobody was lining up for Shotty and they're selling us that we had to move. I wasn't sure about Deflippio or however his name was spelt but that was in the direction that would've created a little excitement. This is just deflating but I hope that smarter football minds than me know better.

:roll:

getnasty

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":3ldrol4b said:
Seanhawk":3ldrol4b said:
The_Z_Man":3ldrol4b said:

Let the depressed remain depressed; it doesn't come from facts, just feelings. They have the right to feel however they wish, regardless of what it's based on.

In 9 seasons of being a OC he's been outside of the top 20 7 times, I'm pretty sure the depressed feeling comes for the facts more then anything. Here's how walterfootball grades it http://walterfootball.com/coachfirehire.php

Fade

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2wlk4kn7 said:
Fade":2wlk4kn7 said:
Pete wants to run the ball, he isn't concerned with the passing game. I guess he figures Russ will take care of that.

A mediocre hire indeed, but a mediocre hire that could work if they do run the ball.

If Pete cared about Russ he would of hired a WCO coach that fits Russ like a glove. Russ is very talented, and a tireless worker though, so he can fit in any system.

Seems a bit hyperbolic.

If he doesn't care about the passing game, then why would he hire a QB coach who tutored Drew Brees during four formative seasons in San Diego and helped Andrew Luck to his best season.
Schottenheimer tutored Brees like Bevell tutored RW.

Luck's best season was in 2014 when he lead the league with 40 TD passes, and threw for nearly 4800 yds. Clyde Christensen was his QB coach. Pep Hamilton was his OC, the same one he had in college. Sure would be nice to put RW in a similar offense he had in college. Instead of Air Coryell which he has never run.

Schotty was on staff with Luck in 2016, but he wasn't the OC. He had done such a bad job over his career he was demoted to QB coach. This is who they hired, and they better run the ball, or Pete is in trouble.

fire_marshall_bill

Reaction score
Pete wants a guy he can keep a lid on. It's pretty obvious. He doesn't want a guy who will throw it 47 times a game.

Underwhelming hire. I don't know the guy besides his dad, but his resume isn't very good.

It might work if they develop an offensive line and running game. I'd prefer someone with a better pedigree though.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Let's put it this way: Greg Knapp, by far, has been a more successful OC than Schottenheimer in his career.

Knapp had Top 15 Offenses in 5 out of his 10 seasons and 3 of those 5 were in the Top 10.

Schottenheimer has never directed a Top 10 Offense in 9 seasons.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
More good ol' NFL nepotism, Carroll has this in spades. Always compete does not apply to the coaches, or the staff. They are their own good ol' boys club. No need to demonstrate an aptitude for your job. Hell, they didn't even bring other people in, if reports are right, Schottenheimer was at the top of his list. To me this is unacceptable, I don't care if he likes to "run the ball". Schottenheimer has failed at every job he has ever had, and has nothing but failure to back up his resume. I've seen this guy do his work --- he is like an even worse version of Darrell Bevell with an overly complex offense that causes mass confusion. Even Brett Favre had one of his worst seasons as a pro under this guy.

Thanks for setting our franchise QB and offense back even farther Carroll. You clearly don't understand, nor even care much about your offensive performances. You clearly are quite comfortable with running a "prevent offense".

Can't believe I'm saying this, but give me Bevell back over this guy, please. Get ready for a lot more procedural penalties and errors, get ready for delay of game penalties on the first play of the game with a scripted offense. Get ready for a ground and pound running game with no pound, and a lot of ground.

I hope this dolt has learned from his vast experience in failure, because he is one of the best there is in the NFL at failing. If he hasn't we are in for a very long season. We will long for Bevell's 2017 offense if he hasn't learned.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":536jz1o0 said:
More good ol' NFL nepotism, Carroll has this in spades. Always compete does not apply to the coaches, or the staff. They are their own good ol' boys club. No need to demonstrate an aptitude for your job. Hell, they didn't even bring other people in, if reports are right, Schottenheimer was at the top of his list. To me this is unacceptable, I don't care if he likes to "run the ball". Schottenheimer has failed at every job he has ever had, and has nothing but failure to back up his resume. I've seen this guy do his work --- he is like an even worse version of Darrell Bevell with an overly complex offense that causes mass confusion. Even Brett Favre had one of his worst seasons as a pro under this guy.

Thanks for setting our franchise QB and offense back even farther Carroll. You clearly don't understand, nor even care much about your offensive performances. You clearly are quite comfortable with running a "prevent offense".

Can't believe I'm saying this, but give me Bevell back over this guy, please. Get ready for a lot more procedural penalties and errors, get ready for delay of game penalties on the first play of the game with a scripted offense. Get ready for a ground and pound running game with no pound, and a lot of ground.

I hope this dolt has learned from his vast experience in failure, because he is one of the best there is in the NFL at failing. If he hasn't we are in for a very long season. We will long for Bevell's 2017 offense if he hasn't learned.
He's that bad, huh?

If he is, Carroll has no eye for picking offensive coaches.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":9ksnwdza said:

My opinion of your football acumen is heading in the same direction. Nothing personal, but good Lord, man; let's base our opinions of Seahawks personnel on what they actually end up doing on the job, yes?

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2159mpqc said:
The_Z_Man":2159mpqc said:

My opinion of your football acumen is heading in the same direction. Nothing personal, but good Lord, man; let's base our opinions of Seahawks personnel on what they actually end up doing on the job, yes?

Agreed, you all need to chill out on the knee-jerk reactions to this.

Give the man some time.

toffee

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":382asz2s said:
RolandDeschain":382asz2s said:
The_Z_Man":382asz2s said:

Give the man some time.

Dude is a proven underachiever with a long track record.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1x01fr5u said:
Let's put it this way: Greg Knapp, by far, has been a more successful OC than Schottenheimer in his career.

Knapp had Top 15 Offenses in 5 out of his 10 seasons and 3 of those 5 were in the Top 10.

Well, let me answer that by putting it this way ...

QB's under Greg Knapp
Steve Young (1998)
Jeff Garcia (2000)
Michael Vick (2006)
Matt Schaub (2010)
Carson Palmer (2012)
Peyton Manning (2013-2014)

QB's under Schottenheimer(I've highlighted the years where he was Offensive Coordinator)
(2001) -- Tony Banks (as QB Coach of Redskins)
(2002-2005) -- Drew Brees (as QB coach of the Chargers)
(2006-2011) -- Chad Pennington, Kellen Clemens, Brett Favre, Mark Sanchez (As OC of the Jets)
(2012-2014) -- Sam Bradford, Kellen Clemens, Austin Davis, Shawn Hill (As OC of the Rams)

(2015) -- Greyson Lambert (Georgia Bulldogs OC)
(2016-2018) -- Andrew Luck (as QB coach of the Colts)

Outside of an aged Brett Favre and an oft-injured Sam Bradford, the guys he's had to work with as signal callers aren't exactly what you'd call Pro Bowl talent.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
toffee":39fyyzxg said:
NFSeahawks628":39fyyzxg said:
RolandDeschain":39fyyzxg said:
The_Z_Man":39fyyzxg said:

Give the man some time.

Dude is a proven underachiever with a long track record.

And the butt fumble was all his fault!

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Sticky this thread if this guy pans out. I want to make someone my permanent sig.

toffee

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":21n43wij said:
HawkFan72":21n43wij said:

Well, let me answer that by putting it this way ...

QB's under Greg Knapp
Steve Young (1998)
Jeff Garcia (2000)
Michael Vick (2006)
Matt Schaub (2010)
Carson Palmer (2012)
Peyton Manning (2013-2014)

QB's under Schottenheimer(I've highlighted the years where he was Offensive Coordinator)
(2001) -- Tony Banks (as QB Coach of Redskins)
(2002-2005) -- Drew Brees (as QB coach of the Chargers)
(2006-2011) -- Chad Pennington, Kellen Clemens, Brett Favre, Mark Sanchez (As OC of the Jets)
(2012-2014) -- Sam Bradford, Kellen Clemens, Austin Davis, Shawn Hill (As OC of the Rams)

(2015) -- Greyson Lambert (Georgia Bulldogs OC)
(2016-2018) -- Andrew Luck (as QB coach of the Colts)

Outside of an aged Brett Favre and an oft-injured Sam Bradford, the guys he's had to work with as signal callers aren't exactly what you'd call Pro Bowl talent.

or, or, or, Schottenheimer's coaching failed to elevate his QB,

toffee

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":3lujuy0h said:
RolandDeschain":3lujuy0h said:
The_Z_Man":3lujuy0h said:

We HAVE his track record. Look at the stats on what he has done. Absolutely nothing. His record as an OC is comparable to Tom Cable's pass protection schemes.

He's got an NFL resume and career based on pure nepotism, and not one single accomplishment.

Guys hire him because they loved his dad.... guys like Rex Ryan and Jeff Fisher.

If he even had one "above average" season, I'd be happy... ok, let's give him a chance.

But I don't see a ray of sunshine on that resume. Not a spark, not even a flickering flame in a distant window...

THIS!!!!!!!!!!