Brian Schottenheimer has been fired

The Breh

Reaction score
So they fired the one guy who was pivotal to and advocating for Russ' cooking?
Perfect :141847_bnono:

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Next 'Yes Man' up

This firing is meaningless. Nothing will change.

MrThortan

Reaction score
Not against this move, but not confident much will change in the future. Maybe Pete would be better off with less responsibilities. It's one thing to emphasize a philosophy and a different one to argue about calls with his OC in the middle of a game. Hoping for the best though.

ducks41468

Reaction score
MrThortan":3qdcsmt6 said:
Not against this move, but not confident much will change in the future. Maybe Pete would be better off with less responsibilities. It's one thing to emphasize a philosophy and a different one to argue about calls with his OC in the middle of a game. Hoping for the best though.

It's the classic bad management technique of saddling a subordinate with all the responsibility but none of the autonomy to influence or make decisions. I'd bet Schotty was repeatedly chided for not "owning the deliverable" too.

getnasty

Reaction score
I so hated the Shotty hiring but he turned out way better then his track record. I honestly expect him to be the next head coach of the Seahawks.

Elemas

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":hx85ec1p said:
So, Schotty got fired for listening to PC the last half of the season? LOL

They we’re probably worried about losing the locker room so PC had to duck blame somehow.

Bingo!

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
ducks41468":2w1qnpgy said:
hugecanoli":2w1qnpgy said:
When will fans realize coordinators in Seattle mean nothing. Pete runs the show and wants yes men.

There’s nobody imaginative coming in. Expect More of the same. Not what I want but after ten years how can anyone see it any other way?

This. It will always be the same inefficient, low-outcome offense. The only difference is that now we'll shift back to focusing on running between the tackles for 2 yards a carry rather than throwing incomplete passes on 40 yard sideline bombs.

Well, let's back up and think about it.

2018 saw Seattle lead the league in rushing. Last year, they averaged nearly 5 a carry.

Its clear that the short passing game was broken, and its never been Russell's strength. Couple an inefficient short passing attack with a pass-heavy split, and you get precisely what we saw - a team that can't convert third downs.

If the team maintains rush efficiency and does it a bit more often, it stands to reason that a lot of the crippling third down woes vanish. Furthermore, teams won't be able to just park their safeties high to take away the chunk plays without Seattle rushing up the field into weak boxes.

Creative rushing attacks are the wave. You've seen the Niners get to the Super Bowl based on it despite Jimmy G being awful, you saw the Browns blow the doors off the Steelers with it, and I don't even need to mention the Titans. It works, and it could be what Pete's after here.

Polk738

Reaction score
Russ throws for 40 TDs and has two 1,000 yard receivers for the first time in his career

Pete Carroll:...yeah clearly our OC is the problem and we need to pound the rock more... :roll:

The problem is he doesn't really have the guys to try and run that style of offense

-Uipati is done and washed up

-Brown is old

-Pocic will need to be resigned otherwise he's gone

-Lewis is good but he's still kind of raw and I'm kinda on the fence about Shell still

-We don't even know if Carson will come back and even if he does can he go a full season without missing multiple games?

-I don't even know what to think of Penny

-Carlos Hyde is probably gone too

NJlargent

Reaction score
This is disappointing news. Sounds like Schotty had to fall on the sword for PC.

I wish PC was the one fired.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
NJlargent":mm7ktm2b said:
This is disappointing news. Sounds like Schotty had to fall on the sword for PC.

I wish PC was the one fired.

Pete is pretty much invincible and went 12-4. Not sure there's really a sword that had to be fallen on, honestly.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1hqcwiqx said:
Creative rushing attacks are the wave. You've seen the Niners get to the Super Bowl based on it despite Jimmy G being awful, you saw the Browns blow the doors off the Steelers with it, and I don't even need to mention the Titans. It works, and it could be what Pete's after here.

Yes this style can work. Just hope Pete sees it too. He can't be that stubborn, can he?

After all, we tried Let Russ Cook, and we saw the good with the bad... Sacked 55+ times, most the league? Many due to holding the ball too long? Turnover machine?

Bottom line is Russ needs run game support, and PC is trying to put him in the best position to succeed.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
hoxrox":2eq4y3kh said:
Maelstrom787":2eq4y3kh said:

Yes this style can work. Just hope Pete sees it too. He can't be that stubborn, can he?

After all, we tried Let Russ Cook, and we saw the good with the bad... Sacked 55+ times, most the league? Many due to holding the ball too long? Turnover machine?

Bottom line is Russ needs run game support, and PC is trying to put him in the best position to succeed.

They need a superstar RB, their own version of Henry/Chubb/Jones/Kamara etc... Carson's good, but he's not on the level of those guys. And they need to get some good offensive linemen on board. They also need more creative offensive concepts, but as long as PC is head honcho, I'll hold my breath on that.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
hoxrox":3b7d2eyo said:
Could we get a new QB coach while we're at it? Why is Austin Davis the QB coach?

No doubt re: Davis. Doesn't look as though he helped Russell much in the 2nd half of the season.

Well this move, IMO, makes it obvious that Schotty was not a Carroll guy. Therefore gone because the offense struggled as of late.

KNJ is Carroll guy; so while his defense was poor starting out, it finished strong so he stays. It also could be that PC has more influence over defense than KNJ (since that is Pete's specialty) whereas Schotty had much more influence on the offense.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Remember Jake Heap's thread of a couple days ago?

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Wanna know what my biggest gripe with Schotty was?

He constantly put the offensive line in a position to fail. It's not a terrible collection of players, but they were asked to do more than any other offensive line in the league last year, I'd contend. This tweet articulates the point well:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/carlmarchphoto/status/1349157546175578112[/tweet]

ducks41468

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2yrl9sn5 said:
ducks41468":2yrl9sn5 said:
hugecanoli":2yrl9sn5 said:
When will fans realize coordinators in Seattle mean nothing. Pete runs the show and wants yes men.

There’s nobody imaginative coming in. Expect More of the same. Not what I want but after ten years how can anyone see it any other way?

This. It will always be the same inefficient, low-outcome offense. The only difference is that now we'll shift back to focusing on running between the tackles for 2 yards a carry rather than throwing incomplete passes on 40 yard sideline bombs.

Well, let's back up and think about it.

2018 saw Seattle lead the league in rushing. Last year, they averaged nearly 5 a carry.

Its clear that the short passing game was broken, and its never been Russell's strength. Couple an inefficient short passing attack with a pass-heavy split, and you get precisely what we saw - a team that can't convert third downs.

If the team maintains rush efficiency and does it a bit more often, it stands to reason that a lot of the crippling third down woes vanish. Furthermore, teams won't be able to just park their safeties high to take away the chunk plays without Seattle rushing up the field into weak boxes.

I don't necessarily disagree, I'm just not sure that with our scheme and personnel that scaling the running game up will lead to proportionate results. Carson is limited in how many carries he can get; you give him more carries, he gets injured, misses even more games, and then the backups like Hyde/Penny/Dallas/low end free agent/late round pick drag down the YPC and running game performances, as we saw in the games that Carson missed. Not to mention the team YPC was inflated by Wilson's rushing numbers (513 yards at 6.2 YPC). The further we get down the depth chart, the lower the YPC goes.

The 49ers had Breida and Mostert, the Browns have Chubb and Hunt, so you either need a beast like Henry or two near-starting-quality backs to run that kind of offense, or a brilliant OC.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Schotty… I’m grateful for how much you meant to me over the past three years. God blessed me with you, we won a lot of games, threw a lot of touchdowns and had a blast in meetings and our bible studies. The best days are ahead for you. Go be Great. God first.

Love. 3. pic.twitter.com/rMtDd7YJUt

— Russell Wilson (@DangeRussWilson) January 13, 2021

kmeleon

Reaction score
PateratoWilson":11t1g7sz said:
KitsapGuy":11t1g7sz said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Softykjr/status/1349152734142889984[/tweet]

I think I support this. Future head coach?

Oh god no, I'll throw up in my mouth if we hire this fool. He caught lightning in a bottle and his team got hot at the end of the year and he won a SB. And dealing with his decision making as a HC if Pete retires??? Hell no, am I the only guy who remembers this moron going for 2 at the end of our game this year when his team was down by 8? And some of his 4th down calls, no thanks.

Latest posts