Breda Report: Nostalgia Piece

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Some of you "alumni" might recall back in the day I used to write regular articles called the "Breda Report". I found the urge to write one this morning. Well, at least the beginning of one. I will post the start of the article here and if anyone wants to read the rest I may be compelled to finish it. The article will eventually tie into current day.

I remember the day well.

It was hotter than death valley. It was 2003 and myself and my then wife Cindy and the best dog ever (Bella, God rest her soul) decided to attend the Seahawks training camp in Cheney, Washington. I had the distinct benefit of meeting several players. These were the days before championships. Players were embarrassingly accessible. Better yet, I got to spend the evening with Les "The Radish" Norton and his lovely better half Darlene. His infamous "Kick-a-Poo" juice was the magic elixir required to combat that oppressive heat.

A few years removed from the most repressive decade this franchise has ever known, there was this slight hint of hope on the horizon. Head Coach Mike Holmgren has a firm grip on the team's heading. Star players were beginning to emerge.

For once, hope wasn't this abstract, unattainable concept.

FPD

Reaction score
Great intro Todd. You have already piqued my interests! I will definitely keep my eye out for the rest.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Ahhh. Those training camp days in Cheney. I used to go out 2-3 times a week. You could just hang out on the fence that surrounds the practice field and literally be within 10-15 feet of the players practicing their craft. Get tired of watching the RBs up close, head over to the dlinemen. I miss those days and the accessibility. I’d bring my kids and they would just play in the kids section they had available. I really wish I could do the same thing with my grandkids.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
More, more, more! Keep going, Todd...

I know how it ends, but want to hear it all again anyways.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Nostalgic indeed the good ol’ days when rookies were allowed to season without people’s souls being crushed even when those cats were still allowed to be physical throughout OTAs and had to practice twice in a day.

Boohman14

Reaction score
We lived about a 90 minuets from the old Cheney Training camp at EWU. A bunch of us from Pasco went up to watch our local hero Michael Jackson's first training camp. The access and closeness to the action was incredible. You really got a sense of the speed the pro game was played at. I was amazed at how fast the linebackers were. Michael Jackson was a dominate running back in high school and we always thought he would be a running back at the U of W but his speed served him well in college and the NFL.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Always loved the "Breda Report!"

Your piece on the "5 Stages of Grief" after the *XL Screw Job helped me with my healing process.

I know it's a lot of work, but we all would appreciate reading one of these now and then :)

Always appreciated Doug Farrar's and kearly's input too.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I mean... you know you'll always be one of my best bros.

I think that was the summer most of us didn't go over, but you guys did and poor Les and Darlene hosted a huge gathering for just the two of you. I went the next couple years and we had some good times. Of course, I moved to Spokane in 2009 after camp was there. I went to Renton the first year camp was there and it SUCKED. I haven't been back since.

The Breda report will always be a must-read for me. Thanks for stirring up the memories.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I remember the times and the feeling well.#8 was starting to really get his stuff together and you knew something good was about to happen. You must complete this. I was friends with Les and Darlene. My wife checks in on her every once in a while to see how she's doing.
Some of you "alumni" might recall back in the day I used to write regular articles called the "Breda Report". I found the urge to write one this morning. Well, at least the beginning of one. I will post the start of the article here and if anyone wants to read the rest I may be compelled to finish it. The article will eventually tie into current day.

I remember the day well.

It was hotter than death valley. It was 2003 and myself and my then wife Cindy and the best dog ever (Bella, God rest her soul) decided to attend the Seahawks training camp in Cheney, Washington. I had the distinct benefit of meeting several players. These were the days before championships. Players were embarrassingly accessible. Better yet, I got to spend the evening with Les "The Radish" Norton and his lovely better half Darlene. His infamous "Kick-a-Poo" juice was the magic elixir required to combat that oppressive heat.

A few years removed from the most repressive decade this franchise has ever known, there was this slight hint of hope on the horizon. Head Coach Mike Holmgren has a firm grip on the team's heading. Star players were beginning to emerge.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Honestly I am a bit overwhelmed with the positive responses. It really warms my heart that some of you actually remember my articles but more importantly how it accesses memories for you all (Cheney, Les, etc)...

I will work on finishing the article and proudly post it in this forum before Monday Night Football.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Honestly I am a bit overwhelmed with the positive responses. It really warms my heart that some of you actually remember my articles but more importantly how it accesses memories for you all (Cheney, Les, etc)...

I will work on finishing the article and proudly post it in this forum before Monday Night Football.
I read my first of many Breda Reports while living in the great state of Arkansas (I think around 2000?) This was my connection to the great PNW which I missed immensely and always looked forward to coming home one day. Talk about nostalgia.

I was always a fan.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
I went to Cheney the last TC they had there. It was such fun.

As I sit here typing this, I can look on my wall and see the picture of all of us at Les & Darlene's and one of Les and myself, together.

Good memories!

keasley45

Reaction score

I remember the day well.

I remember the Breda Report. Had no idea you were responsible. Well done, bro!

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I went to Cheney the last TC they had there. It was such fun.

As I sit here typing this, I can look on my wall and see the picture of all of us at Les & Darlene's and one of Les and myself, together.

Good memories!

I remember that day well old friend.