Bosworth E-Mail After SB48.

Starrman44

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":5blf1ngs said:
Starrman44":5blf1ngs said:
Count me in as a Boz fan. Probably one of the most undeserved busts labels ever.

What do you think of the title "disappointment"?

I can understand that. I think disappointment due to injury is understandable, but I loved him on the field. I just feel like Dan McGwire, Rick Mirer, and Aaron Curry (whom I staunchly defended) were busts. Guys like Marcus Tubbs and Bosworth were let down by there bodies.

Mase

Reaction score
-- Perception becomes reality. I was discussing the infamous Boz vs. Bo play, with a friend who was a devout Raider fan. I argued that everyone talks like Bo just helmet to chested Boz the way Earl Campbell used to do, but it just wasn't that great a hit. He argued that it was monstrous, blah blah. So we brought it up on our cell phones, and for the first few viewings, he thought we were watching the wrong video. He finally realized that time and hype had turned that powerful but glancing hit has been idolized for no real reason.

Mase

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
Anyone know if Burger Express in Federal Way still has "The Boz Burger" on their menu? I haven't been there since like 2007, but pretty sure they still had it.

Starrman44

Reaction score
Mase":36wxkmvb said:
-- Perception becomes reality. I was discussing the infamous Boz vs. Bo play, with a friend who was a devout Raider fan. I argued that everyone talks like Bo just helmet to chested Boz the way Earl Campbell used to do, but it just wasn't that great a hit. He argued that it was monstrous, blah blah. So we brought it up on our cell phones, and for the first few viewings, he thought we were watching the wrong video. He finally realized that time and hype had turned that powerful but glancing hit has been idolized for no real reason.

Mase

Yep, that is what I run into as well. I've even heard people describe it and say that Bo knocked him into the tunnel.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Mase":22cic8np said:

Mase

I was a fan much earlier than those years and witnessed that play when it happened and I even had to be set straight by guys on this board a year or two ago. It's funny, I thought there must be another video of a different play too. :roll: Funny thing, perception.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Starrman44":20e1y39a said:
Bigpumpkin":20e1y39a said:
Starrman44":20e1y39a said:
Count me in as a Boz fan. Probably one of the most undeserved busts labels ever.

What do you think of the title "disappointment"?

I can understand that. I think disappointment due to injury is understandable, but I loved him on the field. I just feel like Dan McGwire, Rick Mirer, and Aaron Curry (whom I staunchly defended) were busts. Guys like Marcus Tubbs and Bosworth were let down by there bodies.

I can put Mirer in there as far as play on the field goes, but he still had a positive impact on the franchise. We got a first round pick for him from the Bears. Sure, that pick was used to trade up to get Springs, but we also used our own 1st round pick to trade up to get Walt. Those picks were #11 and #12 originally. I have a feeling if we only had our original 1st rounder, if we move up to take anyone, it would have been Springs. So by my early morning logic, no Mirer equals no Walt.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Starrman44":2f969u4p said:
Mase":2f969u4p said:

Mase

Yep, that is what I run into as well. I've even heard people describe it and say that Bo knocked him into the tunnel.

I've got into that discussion on this board! :th2thumbs:

Seanhawk

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":2uguoevh said:
Starrman44":2uguoevh said:
Mase":2uguoevh said:

Mase

I've got into that discussion on this board! :th2thumbs:

That same play basically happens 10-15 times a game.

hawk45

Reaction score
Loved Boz, still love him. He was a good player for us, and clearly health (not lack of talent) was what led to the bust.

But I think a bust label is fair. Busts are about not meeting expectations by a wide margin. If you are that dominant in college (just unstoppable), and drafted/paid that highly, the expectations are such that only an Urlacher/Seau career is going to meet them, and he did not have anything resembling that kind of career. Additionally, he himself was a part of setting the expectations crazy high by his own marketing design.

Emtman was another guy (though not such a self-promoter) that was similarly derailed by injury, although my recollection is that Boz played more solid seasons in the NFL than Emtman did. But both guys were such freaks and monsters at the collegiate level, that anything short of running right across the line, ripping off the QB's head and drinking his blood every down was going to fall short.

And yeah, even the small letdowns like not vaporizing Bo Jackson are going to get overplayed x1000. Given the way the play unfolded, no linebacker ever is going to be able to fully arrest the momentum of a great player like Jackson when the LB is scraping the LOS to make the tackle. But we've seen the same thing with Sherman vs. Roddy White. Doesn't matter if Sherm slipped or if there should have been safety help over the top, Sherm's only choice is to be a 100% perfect destroyer out there in terms of national perception. Thank goodness with Sherman he pretty much has been that.

HansGruber

Reaction score
I love Bosworth. Still one of my all-time favorite players.

People who call him a bust are either stupid or too young to have seen him play. He was really good in his first two seasons, but he was taking cheap shots from every player on every team because they were jealous of his press coverage.

I absolutely LOVED how he would trash-talk the Broncos and Raiders, then go out on the field and back it up. Nobody remembers how fast he was, how brutal of a hitter, and how he was always chasing Elway around the field and hitting him late - even after he'd long since thrown the ball away.

I'll never forget watching him hit Elway about 3-4 seconds after Elway had thrown it. Ol' Horse-Face was standing there in the pocket, watching his pass fly downfield, and Boz just came up and clobbered the living hell out of him. I think it was the same play where that pic comes from, with Elway holding his arms up begging for a flag. IIRC, the refs didn't throw a flag on that play because they didn't see it.

Anyway, I LOVE BOZ. The original trash-talking brash badass. He would have loved playing on this team, and it would have been awesome to see.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Was a HUGE Boz fan back in the day. I still have the life-size wall poster rolled up in my closet of him wearing his 44 before the NFL made him change it. And the only thing I ever hear from other people is how he got steam-rolled by Bo Jackson for that goddamn td. Now, look at the terrible angle Boz had on him. Nobody, and I mean NObody would have stopped him. I just wish that Boz had been squared up perfectly on him so Bo couldn't have slid off to the right. I bet Boz would have stood him up and slammed him down had he had 1 or 2 more steps to get properly squared up for the tackle...

[youtube]lSjllemuOh0[/youtube]

Seahawks1Fan

Reaction score
Count me in as a big Boz fan! Loved watching him play. Just wish those shoulders would've held up.
I thought that was a very classy move by Boz with his message.
Good stuff!!!

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Yep, nobody would have stopped Bo on that play. One on one with Bo Jackson at the goal line with momentum? Nobody.

There is a clip of the Jackson MNF run where he breaks the long one "to Tacoma" and there was ONE guy im pursuit stride for stride. A LBer ran after him and while he didn't gain, he wasn't getting pulled either. Now those of you who didn't get to see BoJack run, you missed a treat. That guy was nasty. He was fierce and made many tacklers look bad.

Yeah.. my roommates and I had the "Land of Boz" poster in our living room.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
He had 4 sacks in 24 games but those were the days when tackles didn't count as a statistics but I remember Boz being in on almost every play.

Tons of linebackers make careers on tackles with very few sacks. In those days that's just the way you were judged.

HolyCatfish

Reaction score
Boz said some of the greatest things too. Paraphrasing here...

Just after being drafted to Seattle he referred to us as, "They're good mountain people."

and he once said something like, "I feel like I need to hurt more people. I'm not out there hurting enough people."

Classics!

Shane Falco

Reaction score
He was two different people - there was Brian Bosworth and then there was his big show, The Boz.

"I was friends with Brian Bosworth," he said, "but when the Boz came on, I was like, 'OK, I'll talk to you later.' "

- Fellow LB'er Dave Wyman