Bobby Wagner on Moving the Chains (Sirius NFL Radio)

AgentDib

Reaction score
With Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller (TR's replacement). Feel free to add, I may have missed a few things.

On injury: No lingering affects after missing two games and then playing @Rams. It felt good to play again, feeling a bit sore after the game but only the usual sort of game soreness.

Rams game: Wagner knew it was going to be a tough game and none of them took it lightly. They remembered what a brawl it was last season @STL and were expecting the same this season. The Rams offensive scheme was very similar with Kellen to what it was with Bradford, they opened up the playbook a bit more in the second half because their running game was doing well.

Run defense vs. Rams: Most of the credit for the Rams success goes to Zac Stacy making good cutback runs. Our defense was extremely aggressive and over pursued a few times. They have looked at that closely and Wagner is confident it will be cleaned up. Stopping the run remains a focus for the team.

On TB game: Wagner thinks the Bucs have much better personnel then their record would suggest and is confident the Seahawks will come to play hard. No matter who they play at home they feed off the crowd to play hard, and they know that anybody coming into Seattle is going to want to do something that very few people do (win @ SEA). Protecting their home field is critical and no chance of the Seahawks ever overlooking any opponent in Seattle.

On remainder of season: Coaches will give them some easy practice days to make sure they stay fresh in the second half and finish on a strong note going into the playoffs.

ivotuk

Reaction score
What is MTC?

Not to a be a cranky old man, well okay I am a cranky old man, but I tire of all the 2 letter acronyms. With this team and this coaching staff, they could mean anything and it kills the flow of what might otherwise be a good post. There are common ones that are used frequently but it's the ones that people think are clever inventions that are distracting.

Thank you, grumpy :)

Edit: Sorry about the off topic matter Agentdib, but thank you for the info :th2thumbs:

niveky

Reaction score
Moving the chains is the best show on siriusm NFL radio, imo. It sucks that Tim Ryan is not on there this year. Him and Pat Kirwan were a really awesome team up on that show.

OP
OP
AgentDib

AgentDib

Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion, I know there are a lot of people who catch it when they can and I was typing the recap quickly while it was still fresh in my mind. I think Jim Miller is doing a pretty good job so far but of course I understand why fans miss Tim Ryan's input.

Carroll also has a weekly segment with the show and they regularly have Seahawks on the program. You can get an internet subscription pretty cheap whether you have a satellite radio or not.

Greenhell

Reaction score
Speaking of Pat Kirwin? Anybody read his book? Always liked him on NFL Network but he's even better on MTC.

niveky

Reaction score
Greenhell":2f4obmpo said:
Speaking of Pat Kirwin? Anybody read his book? Always liked him on NFL Network but he's even better on MTC.

I haven't. it's like How to watch football and knowing where to look or something like that.
Kirwan is probably my favorite guy to listen to talking football, personel, x and o's, etc...he is as close as a seattle fan as he can be as an impartial reporter and he does an excellent job of posing questions while analyzing the hawks and any other team and even though he and Carroll are good friends he is never shy about questioning what the team might do in certain situations and addressing concerns just like with any other team.

OP
OP
AgentDib

AgentDib

Reaction score
I have his book and think it's pretty good. It is written at an intermediate level appropriate for most NFL fans.

Topics include personnel formations, zone vs. angle blocking, common pass rush techniques, route combinations, zone defense vs. man defense principles, and so on. It is all stuff that you could google individually, but that is true of 99% of non-fiction out there and what Kirwan does well is presenting a broad array of information in one place in a way that flows quickly while reading.

Having read the book, I like keep tracking of what personnel package we are in based on substitutions and even keeping track informally it is still interesting how much we try to stay run/pass balanced with every single category.