Biggest mistakes in the PC & JS Era

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I love this team warts and all.

I love this team through the struggles.

I love this team through its decisions good or bad.

If could change one thing about this team... I wouldn't because everything that happened forged a path to a championship that I'm truly grateful for.

I appreciate every person's contibution to this team no matter how great or how minimal.

Okay, I only have one true great:

Leon Washington getting released and not being able to part of the championship run.

SeahawksRawk

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":27b88wqg said:

Leon Washington getting released and not being able to part of the championship run.

I felt bad for him as well, was wondering if he was available during our Turbin returns era.
I know the Pats had cut him but had not heard of anyone else picking him up.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
It's not fair to really hammer on draft picks, as it is a crap shoot, but I vividly remember hating both the Carpenter and Moffitt selections (especially Moffitt due to age). That draft year, in general, really changed my thinking on OL being a "safe pick," especially after seeing such promise from guys like Bowie, Bailey, and Sweezy.

Other than those 2 guys, the other huge mistake IMO was signing Matt Flynn. A lot of people would point to his stat line in limited action, but I couldn't help but see an extraordinarily limited QB who was put on a pedastal by some bloggers who will not be named. I'm also tainted by the strong divide that this QB competition put on the fanbase early on. I am not as hung up on Charlie Whitehurst because at that point, Hass was on a severe decline and options were limited. Also helped that Whitehurst didn't overtly pout on the sidelines and really nailed the whole "Old Spice Guy" thing.

soohawk

Reaction score
SeahawksRawk":rfpe84co said:
Pandion Haliaetus":rfpe84co said:

I felt bad for him as well, was wondering if he was available during our Turbin returns era.
I know the Pats had cut him but had not heard of anyone else picking him up.

he plays for Tennessee

themunn

Reaction score
BASF":suspblti said:
You guys talk about Durham like he is no longer in the league. He had a decent season for a third receiver in Detroit. Most receivers take a couple of seasons to become impact players. Harper is currently in Green Bay, so it's not like he is out of the league yet.

Isn't it even worse if we pick a guy, then cut him and he produces elsewhere?
As if we picked a guy who we eventually evaluated as not good enough, then he goes elsewhere and turns out, actually he WAS good enough?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
themunn":2bn483gw said:
As if we picked a guy who we eventually evaluated as not good enough, then he goes elsewhere and turns out, actually he WAS good enough?
Like Bennett and Babin?

themunn

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":183cn9xg said:
themunn":183cn9xg said:
As if we picked a guy who we eventually evaluated as not good enough, then he goes elsewhere and turns out, actually he WAS good enough?[/quot
Like Bennett and Babin?

Babin is an odd one, since he was clearly a talented player, just one that Holmgren never wanted? Michael Bennett cover exactly what I mean though - although it worked out in the end and we got Bennett back, of all the decisions made in the 2009 draft/season, that is the worst one. Yes, worse than drafting Curry. And certainly worse than Mike Teel, who is a legitimate 2009 draftee who fills the criteria of "drafted, cut and never caught on with another team" to compare him to.

Ahman Green is a better example, although his loss was mitigated by the drafting of Alexander. He is certainly a worse draft/trade than say, Moffit, who was drafted in almost identical position (75th to 76th), but traded, retired and will likely never play again. You can certainly give credit for picking a player who turns out to be a stud, but you lose all of it and then some when you fail to recognise/make use of that talent.

Either way, the drafting of Harper and Durham have to go down as mistakes/failures. I'm not particularly critical of it because once you get to the 3rd round IMO, any pick that works out is a bonus. I expect a team to hit on 1st and 2nd round picks, then with the remaining picks, if you can find 2-3 role players, it's a good draft. The fact that PC/JS have found 2-3 starter in those rounds in each of their drafts is fantastic.

My concern is that we don't have a good record of picking up WRs in the draft, in a league where you really need 3-4 capable guys minimum. And whilst we've done well finding Baldwin (I'm not ready to annoint Kearse just yet, he certainly has potential, and he had a great playoff run, but let's remember he still has 501 career yards in a year and a half - he still has some way to go before he's a solid starter), I'd still like to see some more draft success with WRs to ensure we can continue the "roster churn"