biggest media misconception about the hawks

Nog

Reaction score
As much as I love Gus Bradley, I personally think that he has nothing to do with this elite defense. Let me throw out some stats right here to make myself understandable:

In 2009, under Bradley's guidance the Seahawks' defense allowed opponents to gain 356.4 yards (24th in the league) and to score 24.4 points per game (25th).

In 2010, the Seahawks' defense allowed opponents to gain 368.6 yards (27th in the league) and to score 25.4 points per game (25th).[6]

In 2009, under Mora regime, Bradley who was fully in charge of this defense didn't improve at all. The very next year, the first year under Carroll regime (with the new scheme), the defense didn't improve neither and overall regress stat wise. This defense took off from 2011... IMO, this is the result of the multiple talents that the organization brought in, plus the players adaptation of the hybrid system installed by Pete Carroll.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
pmedic920":1slbkhhu said:
Regulators.......

Are we getting trolled?

Probably, but the threshold of stupidity hasn't quite fully been crossed. I would bet money that 10 troll accounts on this board are owned by 2 people.

MadSweeney

Reaction score
OP certainly fits in completely with the Massive Martyr Syndrome required here to be considered a True Fan. Careful for those of you disagreeing with him, you're certain to be called a Niner Fan if you don't agree that Big Media hates the Hawks and will push any and every story that disses the Hawks until it's accepted as fact!

McGruff

Reaction score
I am just glad Pete and John don't care as much about who gets credit as the OP does . . .

Rainger

Reaction score
I somewhat get what your are serving. I have had feelings at time that the Media (Danny O'Neil the worst) talks as if JS finds all the talent and drafts and signs all these players and Pete's Job is to coach them up.

O'Neil has repeatedly said all about JS's eye for talent and talks like it is JS that has come up with the idea of large CB's etc. etc.

We here on the .net mostly know that Pete says to John: "John this is what I want in skills and body type for this position" "I saw this guy or that guy when he was back in high school can you go check him out"

JS then sends his scouts out and says, check this guy and check that guy and by the way go and check these guys cause they have the attributes that Pete wants.

Later JS comes to Pete and says well here is a list of guys that we looked at and by the way we found this GEM we think he is exactly what you want.

Then they make the decision collectively, coaches, scouts, Pete and John.

Hey Big Balls Pete doesn't have an ego. He doesn't care, he is all about team and synergy. I too think he is being slighted in how much he has had the say on who is on the team but if Pete doesn't care (and I am sure he doesn't) then I don't care either.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
The Schneider story posted is a detailing of his rise from unknown college kid with gumption to one of the most respected executives in the game. He's a walking success story of will, determination, and hard work. He deserves to have his story told. Plus, HE WAS HAND PICKED BY PETE HIMSELF! If the headline was "Schneider is the REAL hero of Seahawks' success" I might take some offense.

The Deadspin article is just an attempt to make sense of a fantastic defense "out of nowhere" by someone who has not been watching Pete or the Seahawks too closely. The conclusion of the article is "size does matter"; it's a detailing of the personnel much more than a dis to Pete's contribution. "The lesson of the Seahawks' success might be that teams ought to look harder at big, physical corners." Well, we've seen that other teams are doing just that.

Hidden in there, and only in retrospect now, is a huge compliment to Pete Carroll: "Bradley has never been interviewed for another team's head-coaching vacancy. He is part of no great coaching tree." The writer is saying that Gus' pedigree is so lacking that he couldn't garner interest on his own merit, past successes, or prior associations. Well, three months after the article was written, after finding a higher level of success under Pete, Gus landed his head-coaching gig. He has become a branch off the coaching tree of Pete Carroll.

Sometimes we have to remember that we do things differently here. To people who think of football and the NFL particularly in one kind of mold (old-school, fear-tactic, tough-guy, etc.) it's going to take time to wrap their heads around Pete's methods. I've seen plenty of them change their tune. If anybody uses the term "rah-rah" anymore, I haven't heard it. Some may never come around, but in the end they cannot argue with success.

Seahawk772002

Reaction score
12's,

I can agree and disagree with a lot of what is said on this post, am not going to.

We are on an incredible run.

I did not sleep after XL loss , knowing we may not get back there.

I kept thinking I was going to wake up from some fabulous dream while watching XLVIII, my sister(a 12) was in the room with me and wife(not a 12) was downstairs. My favorite all time viewing moment.

There are 13 teams who have not hoisted the Lombardi and 18 others who are pissed we joined the club, that totals 31 who wished they could have what the hawks have going for them; an incredible blend of youth, energy, experience, and a staff that seems to have it together.

Enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Dont get the premise of the thread. Specifically remember watching at least 3 separate reports on how JS and PC were a team. Read at least 5 articles on the topic, some contrasting how well they complemented each other as opposed to the situation in SF.

And, by the way, you may prefer PC to JS, but to say JS is part of PC's staff is a distortion.

TriCHawk

Reaction score
I've been following the Seahawks for a long time. P&J are all within recent memory, and I've never gotten this impression from the media. If anything, I thought Pete got the most credit for building the team.

I think the way P&J described their relationship, was something like John sets up the buffet, and Pete picks what he wants to eat. So in that vein, both deserve a lot of credit. John and the scouts for finding the right type of players for the scheme, and Pete and Co. for coaching them up.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I think the OP is being the worst kind of Pete sycophant, in his zeal to puff up Pete he is ignoring one of Pete's biggest talents: The ability to hire people he can delegate to and trust they will get results. Giving Pete credit for selecting all the players is just a bit moronic, Pete himself has said he doesn't get to watch much college ball during the season. Since the majority of scouting is done well before the Hawks ended 3 of the last 4 seasons, how does Pete even know who the players worth selecting are? He hired good people, that is how.

Knock Bradley all you want, he slowly turned Jacksonville around last year. It was watching Jacksonville's poor man Seattle D vs Denver last year that convinced me the Seattle D would stop Manning. Bradley is a good coach who went into a bad locker room and seized control using Pete's methods, with his own spin.

Pete is the first guy to give his assistants credit. I don't know why the OP can't.

OP
OP
BigBallsPete

BigBallsPete

Reaction score
And, by the way, you may prefer PC to JS, but to say JS is part of PC's staff is a distortion

Statements like this lead credence to my premise that the misinformation campaign is working. JS is certainly a member of Pete's staff. If by "team" you mean 50-50 partnership, that is the distortion. The fact is, Pete hired John and could have said no to every single player JS ever wanted to draft (I'm sure JS would leave if Pete actually did that).

This post was not created to denigrate anybody in the seahawks organization. It was simply to set the record straight on the facts of the chain of command in the Hawks FO. When I said Pete makes the picks I did not mean that he is the only person scouting players. All I meant was that after taking in all the information, in the end
Pete has final say on all football decisions.

Bradley, JS, Cable, Ken Norton Jr. are all great and it is certainly a testament to Pete's ability to amass coaching talent and delegate to other great football minds.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
BigBallsPete":2w85vf12 said:
And, by the way, you may prefer PC to JS, but to say JS is part of PC's staff is a distortion

Statements like this lead credence to my premise that the misinformation campaign is working. JS is certainly a member of Pete staff. If by "team" you mean 50-50 partnership, that is the distortion. The fact is, Pete hired John and could have said no to every single player JS ever wanted to draft (I'm sure JS would leave if Pete actually did that).

This post was not created to denigrate anybody in the seahawks organization. It was simply to set the record straight on the facts of the chain of command in the Hawks FO. When I said Pete makes the picks I did not mean that he is the only person scouting players. All I meant was that after taking in all the information, in the end

Bradley, JS, Cable, Ken Norton Jr. are all great and it is certainly a testament to Pete's ability to amass coaching talent and delegate to other great football minds.

So what are you saying that we don't know? Of course Pete has final say. But since he isn't stupid, he trusts the people he hired and doesn't Mussolini up the joint.

Occasionally in fact, he ought to have less final say. Like when he had Maragos hold a kick. Or didn't kick field goals vs Atlanta in the playoffs.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
BigBallsPete":36vpacds said:

Statements like this lead credence to my premise that the misinformation campaign is working. JS is certainly a member of Pete's staff. If by "team" you mean 50-50 partnership, that is the distortion. The fact is, Pete hired John and could have said no to every single player JS ever wanted to draft (I'm sure JS would leave if Pete actually did that).

Duly noted, Pete's in charge. Can we move on now?