Big WR Prospects

OP
OP
SomersetHawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Pie Romania":gw5y3o0j said:
Don't know that anyone has mentioned him here, but Im looking for opinions on Dezmin Lewis from Central Arkansas. Projected in the mid rounds, measured in at the Senior Bowl at 6'3.5" and 215lbs. From what I have seen, he attacks the ball in the air. Almost gave me a Dez Bryant type of vibe in that regard. Haven't seen enough to be definitive with an opinion though.

I think there was a thread on him and Devante Davis a little while back but it didn't get too much attention.

I like what little I've seen of Lewis, looks to have really solid hands and does well with some pretty poor quarterback play by the looks of it. Physically impressive, made a great catch at the Senior Bowl, love a guy who can display the ability to go up and get it multiple times. Still hard to form too much of an opinion on a guy who there's not much tape on.

[youtube]uuWTBZdmvPw[/youtube]

Smellyman":gw5y3o0j said:
Sweeps are a requirement for NFL receivers?

I don't know how he will be in the NFL, but he is very strong with very good speed downfield. Corners just bounce off him and like all prospects how does that transition to NFL corners. The drops are a little overblown. He caught over 100 so he didn't drop many.

If he runs a 4.4 or 4.5 I can see him shooting up the charts. He was a basketball player in JC(won a dunk contest) and was very raw as a WR and just got better and better.

Also, he was good enough that Urban Meyer tried to steal him late from WSU.

Ha, no. He just appears to get a fair few yards that way at college. My main issue was with his catching (despite you saying it's overblown), not only does he drop plenty of catchable balls (his UW game tape just went up on draftbreakdown and there's even more drops), but for a guy with that frame and athletic ability you want to see him taking advantage of it, boxing guys out, going up and plucking balls out of the air.

I saw his measurements disappointed in the Senior Bowl. He came in shorter than advertised, with short arms and tiny hands. Maybe that's part of his drop issues? That said Paul Richardson displayed fantastic hands despite being the same size (though P-rich had longer arms despite being shorter).

I can see why Urban Meyer would have liked him. An impressive athlete who does the things he's asked to with success. I'm asking too much in wanting to see more rounded ability, because we'd be talking about a first round pick if so.

bubbrubb

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1sgie6s5 said:
cover-2":1sgie6s5 said:
One player that has caught my eye, that hasn't already been mentioned, is TCU WR Josh Doctson. Doctson is 6-4 190 lbs. He has shown good ball skill and good speed. If he declares for the draft, he would be a good mid-round prospect.

Nice, haven't seen any TCU games this year but he looks really talented. Might have to tune in to the Ole Miss game next week.

Here's a guy I'd never heard of until I saw him on an NFL Draft Declaration list. Supposedly 6,3 and pretty thick-built, he committed to Nevada out of Centennial in British Columbia. For some reason he went back to British Columbia to play for Simon Fraser but was given an open invite to return to Nevada.

Apparently they've made a transition into a running team but in 2012 he recorded 91 passes for 1,318 yards and 17 touchdowns. Not a whole lot of competition, he makes Division II look like High School...

[youtube]KXQRHMpeIls[/youtube]

This year's Jeff Janis it would appear.

Yes...hope Seahawks do what they did with Kearse and pick up a PNW local. Durant just manhandle D2...him alone was the reason SFU had a chance in games. Big body, physical, etc. Im sippin that kool-aid.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Our receiving corp is not "aight"

If we had drafted Davonte Adams or Jordan Matthews, I bet that's enough to win the Super Bowl. We need to give Russell a true No. 1 WR and red zone threat.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1l534r20 said:
Our receiving corp is not "aight"

If we had drafted Davonte Adams or Jordan Matthews, I bet that's enough to win the Super Bowl. We need to give Russell a true No. 1 WR and red zone threat.

I would much prefer a quality chain mover. A player who can make those 3rd and 6 kinds of conversions.

Seattle has a quality red zone threat. It's Marshawn Lynch. I don't particularly want us to have more excuses to throw passes inside the 10 yard line.

This team needs to be better at converting 3rd and medium. Because right now, if we throw an incomplete pass on first down, we can bank on facing 3rd and 6/7 after the obligatory run on 2nd and 10. And 3rd and 6 may as well be 3rd and 16 for this team. Almost literally. Our efficacy in converting the 3rd and medium situation is abysmal.

Seattle is good at explosive plays. And when you look at drives where we score, you see we take big chunks of real estate. Often times getting first downs on first or second down. Every 3rd down conversion is so vital because after converting, we might not even face a third down again until we've scored. It would take a fair bit of time, but I would be willing to bet that close to half the points we scored for the season involved drives where we converted one 3rd and 4 or longer.

The ability to keep possession of the ball, and get more chances to do what we already are capable of doing to me is paramount. In my estimation, improving the ability to both flip the field position game, as well as turn zero point drives into at least 3 point drives will account for more effective scoring than turning a handful of 3 point drives into 7 point drives.

I don't see a red zone threat as having the same effect as a good chain mover. Not that they are necessarily mutually exclusive. But for this offense, I'd much rather have a Jason Witten kind of addition than a Dez Bryant addition (not considering diva issues). Seattle can score effectively with what they have. I would rather we get more scoring drives.

King Dog

Reaction score
After what Matthews did in the Super Bowl, I'm jonsing for a Dorial Green-Beckham type. That was beautiful.

sc85sis

Reaction score
If a team doesn't pick him up in the late rounds, I'd love for Seattle to grab George Farmer as an undrafted free-agent. He's fast and still has untapped potential.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Anyone changed their views one year and change on?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I would say that almost all of these prospects have underwhelmed. I remember liking DGB a lot. But really none of these big WR guys (Cooper excluded) look like they were worth a 2nd round pick as of the end of their rookie campaigns.

I didn't like Strong at all. Not much has changed my opinion there. Glad we got Lockett. Even if I thought we overspent on that trade up. The early returns suggest we got a steal.

Overall, that class of receivers hasn't done squat. I thought Tre McBride would be better than he's turned out. I liked Smelter who redshirted last year. Hated Waller.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":3qrgqlby said:
Anyone changed their views one year and change on?

I still wish DGB was a Seahawk. So not really.

Duke Williams stock from 2014 to today though... yikes.

OP
OP
SomersetHawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Smelter was my favourite, then got picked by 49ers. Didn't play last season but I still think he could be the best of this bunch.

All have disappointed thus far.

randomation

Reaction score
DGB and Lock were my two wants for the draft. Lock because of production and DGB because his potential is insane. We got one of them so I'm thrilled.