Big WR Prospects

CDN_C_Hawk

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":jukvw3n9 said:
cover-2":jukvw3n9 said:
One player that has caught my eye, that hasn't already been mentioned, is TCU WR Josh Doctson. Doctson is 6-4 190 lbs. He has shown good ball skill and good speed. If he declares for the draft, he would be a good mid-round prospect.

Nice, haven't seen any TCU games this year but he looks really talented. Might have to tune in to the Ole Miss game next week.

Here's a guy I'd never heard of until I saw him on an NFL Draft Declaration list. Supposedly 6,3 and pretty thick-built, he committed to Nevada out of Centennial in British Columbia. For some reason he went back to British Columbia to play for Simon Fraser but was given an open invite to return to Nevada.

Apparently they've made a transition into a running team but in 2012 he recorded 91 passes for 1,318 yards and 17 touchdowns. Not a whole lot of competition, he makes Division II look like High School...

[youtube]KXQRHMpeIls[/youtube]

This year's Jeff Janis it would appear.

I just saw he's declared, and seeing he is 6"3"/226 and has a 4.36 ..40 is amazing. He looks stout and hard to bring down as well as having a nice shift off the LOS. Canadian kids are very coachable so worth a look . #GoHawks

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I'd steer clear of Oklahoma's Dorian Green Beckham and his issues. He was arrested with an oz and was let go with a warning only to be arrested again with a pound. He followed those mistakes up by throwing his girlfriend down the steps. Now the staff at OK is pushing him to go pro before he has ever suited up for a game. How many warning flags do you need? OK's TE though might be an interesting pick up in the later rounds though.

OP
OP
SomersetHawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2k5wt3ap said:
I'd steer clear of Oklahoma's Dorian Green Beckham and his issues. He was arrested with an oz and was let go with a warning only to be arrested again with a pound. He followed those mistakes up by throwing his girlfriend down the steps. Now the staff at OK is pushing him to go pro before he has ever suited up for a game. How many warning flags do you need? OK's TE though might be an interesting pick up in the later rounds though.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was humbled on draft day. I could see him falling through the first two rounds if he declares. It's a huge shame, because he's a really rare talent.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
It might actually help him in the long run if he were to slide out of the guarenteed cash.

SDHawk

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1htt2xw6 said:
brimsalabim":1htt2xw6 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he was humbled on draft day. I could see him falling through the first two rounds if he declares. It's a huge shame, because he's a really rare talent.

Just the first two? I suspect many teams have an undraftable grade on DGB.

OP
OP
SomersetHawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
SDHawk":25dc8oqd said:
SomersetHawk":25dc8oqd said:
brimsalabim":25dc8oqd said:

Maybe that was a tad conservative but who knows where he's at now? I suspect solid workouts will be required for him to be drafted, but the interviews will decide what round that will be, and I'd guess he's going to get a bunch of them.

He could be one of the best, just depends how bad he wants it and who's prepared to give him the chance. I'd be excited if we came away with him. The drugs I'm not too bothered by, kid's can make dumb mistakes, and I can't speculate on what really went on between him and his girlfriend, fwiw it sounds like he forced her friend down a few steps as opposed to threw her down a flight of stairs (still unacceptable of course, but not as alarming as some reports would have us believe).

Bruce Irvin conquered more adversity than this. I'd liked to have seen DGB address his at OK, but it looks like he's declaring (Stoops just confirmed it) and will now have to do it in the NFL.

On reflection I don't think there's much chance of him going in the first and I think it would take some very good interviews for him to end up being taken on the second day.

SDHawk

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":7oboq2r8 said:
SDHawk":7oboq2r8 said:
SomersetHawk":7oboq2r8 said:
brimsalabim":7oboq2r8 said:

Maybe that was a tad conservative but who knows where he's at now? I suspect solid workouts will be required for him to be drafted, but the interviews will decide what round that will be, and I'd guess he's going to get a bunch of them.

He could be one of the best, just depends how bad he wants it and who's prepared to give him the chance. I'd be excited if we came away with him. The drugs I'm not too bothered by, kid's can make dumb mistakes, and I can't speculate on what really went on between him and his girlfriend, fwiw it sounds like he forced her friend down a few steps as opposed to threw her down a flight of stairs (still unacceptable of course, but not as alarming as some reports would have us believe).

Bruce Irvin conquered more adversity than this. I'd liked to have seen DGB address his at OK, but it looks like he's declaring (Stoops just confirmed it) and will now have to do it in the NFL.

On reflection I don't think there's much chance of him going in the first and I think it would take some very good interviews for him to end up being taken on the second day.

I would call getting caught with an Oz of weed a "dumb mistake". Getting caught a year later with a pound in your car is a planned and pre-meditated decision in which the consequences were known and carefully considered... From the time he raised the cash to buy the pound, to picking it up, to transporting it in his car... he was thinking of the risks and consequences... yet he must have felt he was above the law or slick enough to get away with it. Not the kind of guy you take a chance on in the first two rounds, imo... or in any round.

OP
OP
SomersetHawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
SDHawk":19eyl9du said:
SomersetHawk":19eyl9du said:

I would call getting caught with an Oz of weed a "dumb mistake". Getting caught a year later with a pound in your car is a planned and pre-meditated decision in which the consequences were known and carefully considered... From the time he raised the cash to buy the pound, to picking it up, to transporting it in his car... he was thinking of the risks and consequences... yet he must have felt he was above the law or slick enough to get away with it. Not the kind of guy you take a chance on in the first two rounds, imo... or in any round.

Sure it's still concerning but I'm not going to look down my nose at him, he was a 20 year old and it's weed. It's not like he forced a 14 year old girl to have sex with him as an 18 year old or got mad drunk and sucker punched some dude at a bar. That was Jeremy Hill, and he got taken in the second round last year.

Maybe an NFL environment where he's surrounded by men will be a lot better for him than being a superstar 20 year old in Missouri? I dunno but it would seem more stable, and I bet a bit of stability probably wouldn't do his chances of success any harm.

If we draft him, then it means we think he can fit in and that would make me pretty excited. If he falls through the draft then I guess we know why.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
SDHawk":w25mqxba said:

As I understand it, It wasn't his car. And it wasn't his dope. Officially, it appeared to be a simple case of 'wrong place, wrong time' and was corroborated by the other two friends in the car. His involvement with the incident didn't appear to last beyond the questioning stage.

It's not as if there isn't enough red flags to talk about. But the pound of dope in the car instance actually does look like it's completely incidental.

I'm guessing that he'll do ok in the interview process. He's actually been outwardly candid, contrite and has established ownership of his issues to date. I certainly don't see a prospect who has followed up his train wreck of an experience with bad decisions or a campaign of excuse making. It's possible that he's just been coached/handled well. But absent of knowing that's the case -- the manner in which he's accepted his role and modified his behavior since Missouri should salvage his draftability status with more than a few clubs.

SDHawk

Reaction score
If you've ever been around a pound of weed, you don't have to see it to know that it's there. I don't know the details, but I would hazard a guess that the police didn't need to see the weed either and probably searched the car on account of something not smelling right.

I see it as a pattern of escalating behavior but you can shrug it off as coincidence. Mizzou would disagree with you.

DGB's situation is one we've all seen before and I'm not convinced that this time is different.

I'm not saying I would eliminate prospects with red flags entirely... if you recall, I was a big fan of DE-Aaron Lynch and RB-Isaiah Crowell last spring.

This is not to say the boy doesn't have talent... there's obviously a lot of that. On tape, the difference between a football player like DGB and an athlete that poses as a football player like Brandon Coleman, is night and day.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Doing weed/substance abuse is more common in the NFL than we fans realize. In many cases, players aren't caught. We just hear about the ones who get caught. If Josh Gordon got a second chance, DGB deserves a chance. He may turn out to be a nice pick for some team.

SDHawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1529yopm said:
Doing weed/substance abuse is more common in the NFL than we fans realize. In many cases, players aren't caught. We just hear about the ones who get caught. If Josh Gordon got a second chance, DGB deserves a chance. He may turn out to be a nice pick for some team.

There's a difference between recreational smoking and trying to flip a pound of herb.

OP
OP
SomersetHawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":39zri7k3 said:
I have been impressed with WSU's Vince Mayle (#1) over the past couple seasons. 6'3, 220 lbs, former basketball player, who can jump out of the building. Has a school-record 86 receptions this season for 1,152 yards.

Some Mayle tape put up on DraftBreakdown recently. Had himself a pretty nice game against Rutgers...

[youtube]pDEPHVhxNxU[/youtube]

Got to admit what I had seen of him on tape before this came out was hard to get excited about and I kinda still feel the same. Looks a really solid football player but I'm not seeing the great potential we should be looking for in a taller target.

Long in the body, good blocker with some surprising after-the-catch ability, though I've seen him drop a few balls too. Looks quick enough but not a burner. Would be interested to hear thoughts from some Coug fans on him because there doesn't seem to be a lot of opinion out there.

I hope more tape comes out too because there's not enough on him. You can't write off a guy who failed to exceed 75 yards receiving only once in twelve games, put up at least 100 yards in six of them, two of which went for 250+ yards. Pretty crazy production in any offense.

OP
OP
SomersetHawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Some more Smelter tape. Possibly my favourite big receiver prospect in this draft.

[youtube]D77Bt-_pavk[/youtube]

OP
OP
SomersetHawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Smelter's team mate is even bigger, but not the same athlete. Could be an interesting late round prospect though. He's a big boy.

[youtube]jex4aA4BLXI[/youtube]

OP
OP
SomersetHawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Mayle's Oregon tape just went up on draftbreakdown.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/vince-m ... egon-2014/

Flashes some ability but I'm still not that excited about him as a prospect. It's hard to see him being utilized with sweeps in the NFL plus Mayle appears to catch a lot of shorter passes on screens and drags, relying on his power for some yards after catch. With a bigger target like him I want to see more go up and get it, contested catch ability. Is he capable of doing this with some consistency Coug fans? I can't find it on the tape available.

Tical21

Reaction score
I like Jaelen Strong. Dude's aggressive and polished.

OP
OP
SomersetHawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Tical21":2v5q3ynm said:
I like Jaelen Strong. Dude's aggressive and polished.

Yeh, I quite like him too, just not as early as had been suggested. I like Cooper, White and Davis as a top 3, but after that it gets pretty tough.

I keep plugging this guy (but I just really really like him as a prospect)...

[youtube]o4F9XJ0Wua0[/youtube]

Would be ecstatic to land him with one of our 4ths. Some athlete for 6,3 (ish) 225lbs.

Pie Romania

Reaction score
Don't know that anyone has mentioned him here, but Im looking for opinions on Dezmin Lewis from Central Arkansas. Projected in the mid rounds, measured in at the Senior Bowl at 6'3.5" and 215lbs. From what I have seen, he attacks the ball in the air. Almost gave me a Dez Bryant type of vibe in that regard. Haven't seen enough to be definitive with an opinion though.

Smellyman

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":u232ordt said:
Mayle's Oregon tape just went up on draftbreakdown.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/vince-m ... egon-2014/

Flashes some ability but I'm still not that excited about him as a prospect. It's hard to see him being utilized with sweeps in the NFL plus Mayle appears to catch a lot of shorter passes on screens and drags, relying on his power for some yards after catch. With a bigger target like him I want to see more go up and get it, contested catch ability. Is he capable of doing this with some consistency Coug fans? I can't find it on the tape available.

Sweeps are a requirement for NFL receivers?

I don't know how he will be in the NFL, but he is very strong with very good speed downfield. Corners just bounce off him and like all prospects how does that transition to NFL corners. The drops are a little overblown. He caught over 100 so he didn't drop many.

If he runs a 4.4 or 4.5 I can see him shooting up the charts. He was a basketball player in JC(won a dunk contest) and was very raw as a WR and just got better and better.

Also, he was good enough that Urban Meyer tried to steal him late from WSU.