Big WR Prospects

OP
OP
SomersetHawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Here's another interesting late round guy whose tape just became available on draftbreakdown. Listed as 6,4 but that looks a little generous. Certainly got some ability though...

[youtube]uuWTBZdmvPw[/youtube]

cover-2

Reaction score
CPHawk":3mm1cfb0 said:
Haven't heard to many people bring up Ty Montgomery. Because of his injury past, we might be able to snag him in the 4th, and he's 6'2 220 and runs a 4.4. He's a bigger Golden Tate.

For me, Montgomery's physical build and toughness reminds me of Anquan Boldin. Montgomery doesn't look like a good route runner and for me I think his skill set is best as a slot WR. I like Montgomery's toughness as a WR and the big play potential he has as a kick returner & punt returner. I just haven't seen him make the down field jump ball reception, that we are currently lacking from our receiving core.

[youtube]I5wqNLUK1j0[/youtube]

OP
OP
SomersetHawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":ldrlrdwc said:
Matt Waldman (link below) compares DeVante Parker (Louisville) & DeVante Davis (UNLV), very long but worth a watch. I came away with the impression that the Seahawks should give some very strong consideration to DeVante Davis, perhaps even with one of their several 4th round picks they are likely to have. There's 1 TD catch in Davis's review 75% thru the tape that you have to see to believe.

Much can be learned from watching these cut-ups and the input of people that know what they are looking at when it comes to actual scouting. There is a lot of excellent content on that site, it might take a guy days to get through it all. This whole RSP film series is really great work by Waldman.

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2014/12/01/rs ... ker-davis/

Some DeVante Davis tape just became available on draftbreakdown...

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/devante-davis/

chet380

Reaction score
brimsalabim":4cygg00o said:
I I've been paying a little attention to Jordy Nelson. He is a big receiver at almost 6'4" but isn't fast, quick, or even all that athletic. He is smart enough to understand the offense and most importantly runs great routes. So I think if it were up to me when it comes to a big target I would value football IQ as much if not more than athletic freak abilities.

During the last GB game, it was mentioned that Nelson was a state 100 m champion

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Jamal Robinson, WR, UL Lafayette. He's a 6'4 205. He may be a guy to keep an eye on for middle rounds of the draft.
[youtube]-1Cgxq5xCA8[/youtube]

[youtube]hoVfkdOqZ50[/youtube]

OP
OP
SomersetHawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3dpvhq9r said:
Jamal Robinson, WR, UL Lafayette. He's a 6'4 205. He may be a guy to keep an eye on for middle rounds of the draft.
[youtube]-1Cgxq5xCA8[/youtube]

[youtube]hoVfkdOqZ50[/youtube]

Nice add. He had over 250 yards and 4TDs in just three games this before getting injured and missing the season. He was set to break out in his senior year. However, he's looking to go back to college for another year... http://theadvocate.com/sports/ullafayet ... l-robinson

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Duke Williams at Auburn has future star potential. Like genuine star talent.

He would be a hell of a pick for the Hawks.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":2qncnbxm said:
Nice add. He had over 250 yards and 4TDs in just three games this before getting injured and missing the season. He was set to break out in his senior year. However, he's looking to go back to college for another year... http://theadvocate.com/sports/ullafayet ... l-robinson

Thanks SomersetHawk. Good find and point about Robinson wanting to go back for another year. It makes sense. For him, it would be good decision because he could very well improve his draft status for the 2016 draft.

OP
OP
SomersetHawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1pest5jk said:

I really like his potential and think he's more pro ready than Sammie Coates. However, did you watch him against Alabama? I know he was pretty good in that shoot out but after missing two games he came back looking like a Tight End. Appeared to have put on a lot of weight. Not too concerning but surprised me a little, I thought the gain was pretty noticeable.

I hope he declares though. One more promising tall WR prospect in a draft that should have a few.

hawkfan68":1pest5jk said:
Thanks SomersetHawk. Good find and point about Robinson wanting to go back for another year. It makes sense. For him, it would be good decision because he could very well improve his draft status for the 2016 draft.

Absolutely makes sense. Needs to prove he can stay healthy, and if he picks up where he left off he could be one of the top WRs in 2016.

cover-2

Reaction score
One player that has caught my eye, that hasn't already been mentioned, is TCU WR Josh Doctson. Doctson is 6-4 190 lbs. He has shown good ball skill and good speed. If he declares for the draft, he would be a good mid-round prospect.

[youtube]uxwABEtsp9M[/youtube]

[youtube]ncrAbuRvRZU[/youtube]

[youtube]0kPrDnq2v7g[/youtube]

Doctson.jpg

OP
OP
SomersetHawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
cover-2":1l0gil8j said:
One player that has caught my eye, that hasn't already been mentioned, is TCU WR Josh Doctson. Doctson is 6-4 190 lbs. He has shown good ball skill and good speed. If he declares for the draft, he would be a good mid-round prospect.

Nice, haven't seen any TCU games this year but he looks really talented. Might have to tune in to the Ole Miss game next week.

Here's a guy I'd never heard of until I saw him on an NFL Draft Declaration list. Supposedly 6,3 and pretty thick-built, he committed to Nevada out of Centennial in British Columbia. For some reason he went back to British Columbia to play for Simon Fraser but was given an open invite to return to Nevada.

Apparently they've made a transition into a running team but in 2012 he recorded 91 passes for 1,318 yards and 17 touchdowns. Not a whole lot of competition, he makes Division II look like High School...

[youtube]KXQRHMpeIls[/youtube]

This year's Jeff Janis it would appear.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Great thread. I've enjoyed the updates and adds to the list.

I'm still waiting for more tapes to really get into the receivers, but from what I've seen there's a lot to be excited about if your a fan wanting Seattle to add another weapon. There might not be the elite talent at the top like last year, but it's deep and since Seattle isn't drafting in the lower part of round 1, that works just fine.

I know Seattle spent a 2nd and 4th last year on receivers, but If Seattle doesn't take advantage of this year's depth I'll be pretty disappointed. Seattle needs more help for Wilson. Here's their opportunity.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Pete and John are a bit more aggressive in positioning themselves to get "their guy" with all the draft picks they will have. For example, I think Kevin White would be a great addition and could fall to the mid/late 20s. At that spot they could justify making a move without losing to much more than a mid round pick.

OP
OP
SomersetHawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Watched a little more Devin Funchess and becoming increasingly unimpressed. He's a freak athlete but he doesn't utilize it, or maybe Michigan don't? I don't know, haven't watched enough of their games.

At about 6,5 you want him to be able to be that 'go up and get it guy', but I can't see any of this on tape. I don't see a whole lot of contested catches, I know his hands are suspect and it might be that his QB simply hasn't trusted him. Nearly everything you see on tape is something a 5ft 10 receiver would be able to do and whilst I wasn't too high on Kelvin Benjamin last year there were a lot of plays where he utilized his size and frame.

His blocking out wide is also pretty meh for a former Tight End. He does this semi-whiff 'spinny around' thingy a lot of the time and just looks to lack a whole lot of effort.

Freak athlete, great potential, but doesn't show near enough to be a first round receiver imo (not that some team wont take him there). Still, I'm not sure he should go back to Michigan and waste a year of earnings and stock-plummeting injury on that crappy team (unless they bring in an exciting coach like Harbaugh).

OP
OP
SomersetHawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Some more Blakeney tape. Probably his best outing of the year but still looks very raw, wish they could have shown more of his snaps and not just his highlights. Drops an easy pass and also gives up a first down on 3rd and 9.

[youtube]uskD3ZCZ3HA[/youtube]

Has some really nice potential though and I'd love to pick him up outside of the first four rounds.

SDHawk

Reaction score
[youtube]Lj9m8FJ9zns[/youtube]

Austin Hill - 6'3 / 212 lbs

Not the fastest (at times shows decent burst vs. Nevada in the tape above) and lacks the "extra gear" but is a polished route-runner. Tracks the ball very well in the air. When contested, he shows soft hands and exhibits fantastic body control to adjust to the ball. Has the "grit" we look for in our receivers.

He sat out all of 2013 with a knee injury. He has shown glimpses of his old self and could be had at a value for a mid to late round pick. Not a home run hitter but is very reliable. Worth a look, imo.

OP
OP
SomersetHawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":99pcao4y said:

Returning to Auburn, real shame.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The Belk Bowl, a contest between Georgia and Louisville has a number of senior big WR types playing in it. For Louisville, Devante Parker - 6'3/202 and Matt Milton - 6'5/206. On Georgia side, Michael Bennett - 6'3/205 and Chris Conley - 6'3/206.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Devante Parker stood out in the Belk Bowl. Louisville lost to Georgia but Parker was the best WR on the field. He had 8 catches for 119 yards. He has terrific size and finds a way to make tough catches. He's a Sidney Rice type of receiver. He definitely fits the mold of the type of WR the Seahawks are missing currently. However, I don't think he will fall to where the Seahawks would be picking unfortunately.

OP
OP
SomersetHawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Yep, Parker isn't falling as far as us. I could see the Vikings taking him with the 11th pick. Though maybe that's too unimaginative.

Darren Waller showed up big yesterday. I still prefer Smelter as a prospect but Waller's got some potential and tools that can't be taught at 6,5 235. I wouldn't mind taking him as a 5th round WR/TE project ala Luke Willson. That performance might put him a little higher though.

[youtube]3vVGObWpWUg[/youtube]