Bevell Revisited

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1d0l1mtn said:
Face it, your bias blinds you.

Clearly, yours doesn't. Also, ridiculously soft zone after we took the lead with seconds left at Atlanta didn't lose us that game? I mean, we'd have won regardless if we had Clemons, but still. You stick Sherman in man on that huge ~50-yard pass play instead, almost certainly they don't get in field goal range to win it.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":10hxlcrm said:
Sarlacc83":10hxlcrm said:

Clearly, yours doesn't. Also, ridiculously soft zone after we took the lead with seconds left at Atlanta didn't lose us that game? I mean, we'd have won regardless if we had Clemons, but still. You stick Sherman in man on that huge ~50-yard pass play instead, almost certainly they don't get in field goal range to win it.

What? There was no 50 yard pass play at the end of the game. Rodgers got a huge run-back on the kickoff, Douglas beat our slot guy, and Gonzalez beat a linebacker. Sherman had nothing to do with those.

More importantly, the loss that day came down to the inability to stop old, ineffective Michael Turner. Which is where we really hurt with the Clemons loss because Seattle lost the edge. Ryan only had 250 yards passing.

The fact of the matter is that Bradley is the scapegoat, just as Bevell is.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Boy it would be neat if someone could give their opinion around here without being pigeonholed into a "lover" or "hater" group. I really thought we'd gotten past that.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Seattle is #4 in PPG. Either #1 or #2 in explosives (depending on your definition).

Three teams higher in PPG: DEN, NO, CHI. Peyton is a Maestro. Brees/Payton are the best QB/Offensive HC duo in the NFL. Trestman has quickly established a rep as a offensive guru.

Pete Carroll is a defensive-minded coach who leans heavily on his OC to run an offense that matches his philosophy. SEA lost nearly its entire o-line and its two high-priced receivers. Our second-year QB is excelling while all the others are regressing statistically. Maybe Bevell's greatest strength is that he knows how to get out of his own way, but whatever, you can't argue with the results. Give the man the right weapons, and he can build a dominate offense (2009 Vikings, 2012-13 Seahawks).

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2lzpc7u0 said:
I know damn well the Bevell hating crowd was ready to crucify him (for the bazillionth time) for calling a pass play with goal to go up until the moment RW flicked a pass to Marshawn for a TD.

Not that a single one of them would ever admit it.

Marshawn has gone berserk running the ball as of late....pretty much after we got RW pancaked a couple of times in the end zone. Now we went back to ground and pound with him, and the last three games have each increased by the point difference, as well as Beast's yards and tds. But hey, if Bevell wants to get cute with endzone plays, that's fine. We all know he will just come right back to the beast. :thirishdrinkers:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":1n5g3zr5 said:
Boy it would be neat if someone could give their opinion around here without being pigeonholed into a "lover" or "hater" group. I really thought we'd gotten past that.

Lovers' quarrels will never go out of date.

Tical21

Reaction score
Specifics, people, specifics! A lot of banter, with very little specifics.

Man, I think it is really hard to give only the personnel all the credit for what has taken place. The personnel isn't all-world to me. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't think Bevell is a genius by any stretch, just based on the fact that there still isn't anything in the passing game that we do particularly well, but whatever he is doing is working. I have a really hard time slamming the guy. Not giving the ball to Lynch at the goal line killed me, but I knew he'd wise up. He's still learning. As long as I feel he is producing results and continuing to improve, I just can't see why we wouldn't want him here.

hoxrox

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2637o7on said:
I know damn well the Bevell hating crowd was ready to crucify him (for the bazillionth time) for calling a pass play with goal to go up until the moment RW flicked a pass to Marshawn for a TD.

Not that a single one of them would ever admit it.

Wilson broke down that play on NFL network. Seemed more like Wilson being Wilson than Bevell being Bevell. That was not a designed play. :)

That being said, Bevell has shown a propensity to adapt and continue to grow with the players - it shouldn't get any worse than the Ram's game. Can't wait to see what type of plays we'll see with Percy.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
So you don't think Pete had a talk with him at all after TB? He's capable of calling a good game, of course. My issue is when his playcalling doesn't seem to adapt during the course of a game (StL...and that game wasn't just Bevell, it was also Cable and PC)

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":hiy423fl said:
CANHawk":hiy423fl said:
I love lamp.
Cool; how many LAMP servers have you setup?

Bah, LAMP is for noobs. Real men use NginX proxies with Apache back-ends to handle parsing of dynamic content. You would not believe the concurrency of which such a setup is capable.

SilkMonkey

Reaction score
I've been mostly happy with the play calling recently. First and goal from inside the five? We're feeding the beast. We know it, opposing teams know it and are powerless to stop it. I love enforcing the will on people.

I'd give him a C+ since we've gotten enough plays to win but I don't feel comfortable grading him higher. This is the midterm....we have 10 more weeks roughly of football. Time to see if he can pull his GPA up.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
jake206":3urfk7p0 said:
Hire Lane Kiffin instead.

Dear god no.

Lane Kiffin was so bad he turned Ed Orgeron into Vince Lombardi.

I still can't stand Bevell, I still hope he gets a HC job somewhere just so we can replicate the upgrade over Bradley with Quinn.. however even during my disdain with him.. the last few weeks HAVE improved.

But still, I think it's more to do with Russell Wilson's brilliance than the calls he's sending into his headset. I'd love to find a young upstart coordinator with an offensive mind like Sean Payton, not sure what guy that would be, but that'd be surreal.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3oovilsq said:
Sports Hernia":3oovilsq said:
See bolded. Reading. It's fundamental.
We've also had several TDs scored after our backups were put in this year already, and at 11 games in last year, we hadn't yet brought out the backup squad.

See bolded. Reading. It's fundamental.

You are right about the points. I was taking my stats from a previous calculation and forgot to update.

However:

# of 30 point games against Bradley last year (with a slate of better QBs nonetheless): 0 Yes this includes ST. Just goes to show that Bradley was able to keep the score low so that miscues from Wilson in the redzone and ST gaffes didn't raise the overall.

# of 20+ point games: 5 to 5 (though you can take out 7 against the Vikings).

WASH
Care to state how many games Bradley's softzone-prevent cost the Hawks last year in the last few minutes of games?

Seattle lost 6 games. 2 were arguably because of soft zone (Detroit and Miami). Though the Miami game hung more on Pete's insistence in having a soft offense and in the Detroit game, they couldn't stop the Lions all day. The Bears game sort of counts, except that Sherman could've gotten in front of Marshall. Losses are a team effort.

Mirror mirror!