Bevell Revisited

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2l4bve9z said:
bestfightstory":2l4bve9z said:
WOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOO!!!

I deserve a damn medal for drawing out an award-winning Kearly post!
a) He disagrees with you, so stop trying to take credit for anything.
b) Are you trying to pretend you didn't wake up this morning just WAITING to make a post like this? You're guilty of what you accuse the Bevell haters of, just on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Get real.
iRo for the win! :th2thumbs:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Jac":2i1v6muz said:
If I was the Washington Redskins, I might be interested in bringing him in for an interview.
One can only hope. The same folks defending Bevell like he is a family member were the same ones defending Gus Bradley last year, we got Quinn to replace him and
look how that turned out..... Oooopsie!

I don't think upgrading from Bevell would be that hard to do, when you have this many offensive weapons.

Hawks46

Reaction score
kearly":hqkw5540 said:
As I expect Seattle's offense to continue it's tear, it's a decent bet that Bevell is playing his way into a HC job next year. I see no reason to bad mouth a guy that's probably on to bigger and better things.

That said, I've been mostly a Bevell defender during his time here, but most of this season has taught me that Bevell doesn't seem to be able to construct a quick passing game with our short WRs and short QB. That lack of short passing game really killed us when the protection was the worst in the league. I think part of the reason it was the worst in the league was because teams had no reason to fear blitzing us, and in some cases blitzes looked to be automatic when Seattle showed certain looks. A sliver of that is on Wilson, but most of it's Bevell's responsibility.

When Bradley moved on, I celebrated it because I knew we could do better, maybe a lot better. When Bevell moves on, I'm optimistic that Pete will target an OC that can help Wilson grow into a Brees type QB that can master a quick throw offense and put his final exploitable weakness behind him. That's not to say I ever thought Bevell was terrible- he's actually quite good under ideal conditions. But we've seen a few games this year where defenses made those conditions impossible and it was a miracle every time Seattle won those games.

If Seattle can find an OC that turns Wilson into a QB who actually punishes the blitz instead of being punished by it, well, next season will be a hell of a lot less stressful.

I'd extrapolate this further and say that Bevell can construct good game plans, and does great at halftime adjustments, but doesn't seem to work well on the fly and make quicker adjustments. I'd agree that he's been a good OC. Look at last year, we busted out the Read Option which had never really been run by us, and never run by Carroll at USC either. Last year we were on a tear and teams had to try to adjust to us. Like Kearly said, this year, they adjusted to us, and when our OL went down and we lost the dominant aspect of our offense in the run game, it seemed like we were getting exploited and not the other way around.

Personally I think we could do a hell of a lot worse than Bevell, and yes, if you research it, I've ripped him at times for a few games of "WTF?" play calling. The one optimism I have is that if Bevell does walk, Pete seems to be damned good at getting coaching talent to gravitate to him.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'd like to point out one thing - every single offensive coordinator in this league is a genius if his team executes everything very well. That doesn't mean the coordinator is great. In fact, I would say the biggest test of a coordinator is how they handle long periods of poor execution. Great ones adjust and find a way to improve, even if it doesn't get them a win. Bad ones keep banging their heads against the wall. A particularly great example of this is Roman down in San Francisco. Keeps calling 7-step dropbacks for Kaepernick in the dumbest situations all of the time every week, it's pretty funny. As much as I've criticized Bevell, he is not a BAD coordinator, I think he is just merely average/mediocre.

Sports Hernia":2aphxg5h said:
iRo for the win! :th2thumbs:
:) (I couldn't let what I saw slide. Rather, I refused to.)

HawkWow

Reaction score
It would be near impossible to argue Bevell's greatness (in the bigger picture). He's had a patch work line, suspect even when healthy, a SHORT, almost rookie QB and for the most part, a set of WRs that most never heard of before and an awesome TE that he has to use as a blocker. Yet he stands at 10-1. Imagine the sleepless nights it took to make that happen.

Coordinators, both O and D, almost have to have an arrogant gene to be successful. Sometimes that leads to TOO MUCH thinking outside the box. Bevell (etc.) want to be recognized for their genius and there's nothing genius about handing the ball off to ML. He knows if he gets "creative", and success is the result, that gets him such recognition. It's this very mentality that has exposed Sark as the frikin 'tard that he is. In all honesty, I probably like Bevell 95% of the time. Unfortunately, it's that other 5% that gets threads named after him. Human nature.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
10-1 with him. The Ws are the only thing that count. And he has called the offense well enough that we have won with literally no Oline. Do I scratch my head every now and again, sure but he is winning the battles that a lot of OCs wouldn't given those circumstances.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3fpmhe1f said:
Logical fallacy. Just because we're 10-1 with him doesn't mean he's a large part of WHY we're 10-1.

You know that you're only allowed to love him or hate everything he does.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":23yhy7ew said:
RolandDeschain":23yhy7ew said:
Logical fallacy. Just because we're 10-1 with him doesn't mean he's a large part of WHY we're 10-1.

You know that you're only allowed to love him or hate everything he does.
Sorry, my mistake. Speaking of "stake", let's burn him at one. He has never done anything correctly, ever!!!!11oneone

HawkWow

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1y14xcsi said:

But that could be said about every player and coach in the game. Even RW. What if we didn't draft RW, drafting Foles a few spots later? It's possible (not probable) we could be 11-0 under Foles.

Not arguing with ya', because it's likely we are on the same page, just pointing this out.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
If we didn't have RW, I promise you we'd not be in the lead of the NFC right now. On the other hand, with a random different offensive coordinator, I feel very confident we'd be 10-1 or even 11-0 right now. Disagree if you want, it's just my opinion.

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
I cut him slack, I can only imagine how hard it is to adjust when your OL is dessimated for several weeks, and second guessing yourself if you even should adjust. Aside the lack of protection against top pass rushers I think the play calling has been fine.

He will make himself into a HC when this offense just explodes over everyone's faces the last 5 games and the playoffs like they did last year. Full strength, hitting the homestretch.

CANHawk

Reaction score
bestfightstory":zmuz8f4l said:
Zebulon Dak":zmuz8f4l said:
All of our losses are entirely his fault. I want him gone.

If I don't get to experience a game in your presence then this season is a net loss, bro.

I've often wondered; when these two get together, do they rub their beards together and make noises like mating caribou..?

OP
OP
bestfightstory

bestfightstory

Reaction score
CANHawk":y66lrela said:
bestfightstory":y66lrela said:
Zebulon Dak":y66lrela said:
All of our losses are entirely his fault. I want him gone.

If I don't get to experience a game in your presence then this season is a net loss, bro.

I've often wondered; when these two get together, do they rub their beards together and make noises like mating caribou..?

Watch....with wonder......and wonder no more....

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I was fine with the pass play, but that's because we actually have our starting tackles in there and McQ is back at LG where he can actually be effective.

I just didn't like the pass plays in that part of the field when our tackles were out. I think we should lean on the run even with the other team stacking the box if we have no tackles. I am a believer that Lynch is so good that it is more than likely (though not always likely) that he can get into the end zone even when the other team knows what is coming in those instances.

HawkWow

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1ad40967 said:
If we didn't have RW, I promise you we'd not be in the lead of the NFC right now. On the other hand, with a random different offensive coordinator, I feel very confident we'd be 10-1 or even 11-0 right now. Disagree if you want, it's just my opinion.

Wasn't disagreeing at all. Just pointing out that OCs take a hella lot of heat. I have been very critical of Bevell and just admitting to (maybe) being too critical of Bevell. I can't be down on Bev without also being down on Pete. Pete's the boss.

HawkWow

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2u0jsxn6 said:
I think fans of every team hate their Offensive Coordinator.

Absolutely. I don't think Bevell needs defending. He gets paid substantially to take our meaningless abuse. 2 prerequisites for an OC job: Big balls and thick skin.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I don't think he's hurting us, and I don't think we can't improve on him.