Bennett not open to home town discount

RCATES

Reaction score
My Outlook on this is simple. Good pass rusher's in this league are a dime a dozen. If he want's a top tier contract he can get it somewhere else. He can also enjoy playing on a losing team and later reflect on a lot of his success came because of the other players on the Hawks defense and was part of a good rotation of pass rushers.

jblaze

Reaction score
chrispy":qq7sv782 said:
Has there ever been as much cap space available in the league?

I'm not a capologist so I don't consistently follow, and admittedly, the Raider's situation may skew my perception. They have 65 million in cap space. Then Jax with 55 mil, and Cle with 46mill. Although there will obviously be some FA deals (like Bennett was last year), there's also some probability that some of these teams that are in cap heaven -and required to spend it- will be paying asking prices to whomever they evaluate as top talent. With the team personality in Jax being similar to Seattle, I could see a number of players ending up there.

Isn't it more likely that a few low-cost/2nd tier players come here on one year, prove it deals? If the team can make someone like Bennett productive in '13, why can't they do it again in '14? They also did it with Avril, Clemmons, McDonald and maybe throw in Mcdaniel (trade, not FA) too. With a + track record, it seems like they can create a pass rush with FAs that no one else wants. Let's do that instead of breaking the bank on Bennett.

They are not required to spend that money this year, they can roll it over which is what Seattle did in 2011 in the amount of $21.7 million and same in 2013 but to a lesser extend.

jblaze

Reaction score
Once again, you did NOT read my post. Nor did you read the article to which I referred. I'm talking about a yearly average minus the signing bonus. But you already had your mind made up what you were going to say anyway.

I would pay Quinn 11 million in a heartbeat.

I don't have time to read everyone's links FFS. If you can't summarize and articulate your point in a post, the point is lost.

What does an average minus a signing bonus matter anyways since it's impossible? Nevermind, it's irrelevant.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
RCATES":188so3ft said:
Good pass rusher's in this league are a dime a dozen.

7ea9986decccf2d688883c86ba536dfe69ad7111_m.jpg

RCATES

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3hhow7gk said:
RCATES":3hhow7gk said:

I think you guys are confusing good with "great." Bennett numbers don't lie. He's a good pass rusher but not great. Seattle's rotation of "good" pass rushers is why they had success this year. A rotation that allowed guys to stay fresh. Not to mention a stellar secondary which made the pass rush guys have more time to get to the QB. If Bennett want's and every down "Elite/Great" pass rusher money I say good riddance. I personally do not see him on that level.

jblaze

Reaction score
RCATES":3ukutu6v said:
MontanaHawk05":3ukutu6v said:
RCATES":3ukutu6v said:

I think you guys are confusing good with "great." Bennett numbers don't lie. He's a good pass rusher but not great. Seattle's rotation of "good" pass rushers is why they had success this year. A rotation that allowed guys to stay fresh. Not to mention a stellar secondary which made the pass rush guys have more time to get to the QB. If Bennett want's and every down "Elite/Great" pass rusher money I say good riddance. I personally do not see him on that level.

Agreed. He is very good but not great. Also his age prevents us from a long term deal. He's also not the typical speed pass rusher as he plays inside a lot which might contribute to his production being a bit less.

I think next year he'll play more as we lose Bryant. Bennett on the RE in rush downs with two beefy DT's in the middle. Bennett in as DT with Mebane next year on passing downs with Avril/Ivrin in the DE slots. That would be tough to beat.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
You're nuts, RCATES. Only Robert Quinn and Cameron Wake had better years rushing the passer. It's a simple formula; add the number of hurries, hits, and sacks together for all the best pass rushers, divide the total by the number of passing snaps they had for the year, and you get their average number of pressures per snap. Robert Quinn, #1. Cameron Wake, #2. Michael Bennett, #3.

3rd in the entire league isn't great? Yeah, alright. Better consult a dictionary on what that word means; not to mention, he did his from the outside and the inside.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Not to mention Bennett is as good defending the run as he is rushing the passer. We put an inferior DT rotation in the mix, and we will be abused on the ground. All those garbage time rushing yards we allowed will become common.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3hunjzan said:
You're nuts, RCATES. Only Robert Quinn and Cameron Wake had better years rushing the passer. It's a simple formula; add the number of hurries, hits, and sacks together for all the best pass rushers, divide the total by the number of passing snaps they had for the year, and you get their average number of pressures per snap. Robert Quinn, #1. Cameron Wake, #2. Michael Bennett, #3.

3rd in the entire league isn't great? Yeah, alright. Better consult a dictionary on what that word means; not to mention, he did his from the outside and the inside.

I don't know how anyone that watched the season can think that Bennett was only a good player. His play passes the eye test as well as having the stats to back it up. He is very disruptive.

RCATES

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":u2nrv63m said:

Try not to be such a Homer for once. He is number #32 in my book. http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/playe ... sort/sacks
No one cares how many balls almost went out of the ball park in baseball. If he was that great PC and company would have had Bennett in there on every down. You think Quinn or Mathis would be sharing snaps as much in Seattle? Sorry but the answer is No. They are in an Elite group and get paid to do so. Bennett is not Elite. If you would take off your Homer glasses you would see that. He works well in Seattle's system plain and simple.

RCATES

Reaction score
Lady Talon":yn2fjn4y said:
Not to mention Bennett is as good defending the run as he is rushing the passer. We put an inferior DT rotation in the mix, and we will be abused on the ground. All those garbage time rushing yards we allowed will become common.

He had 18 tackles all year.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
And wasn't run at anymore then Sherman was tested. Reputation is a wonderful thing. If I saw Hill, Irvin, Mayowa etc. on a 3rd and 6, I wouldn't have much issue pounding the ball right at them on a 3rd and 6.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
RCATES":3o1khcjm said:
Try not to be such a Homer for once. He is number #32 in my book. http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/playe ... sort/sacks
No one cares how many balls almost went out of the ball park in baseball. If he was that great PC and company would have had Bennett in there on every down. You think Quinn or Mathis would be sharing snaps as much in Seattle? Sorry but the answer is No. They are in an Elite group and get paid to do so. Bennett is not Elite. If you would take off your Homer glasses you would see that. He works well in Seattle's system plain and simple.

Your book is very obtuse, and so is your reply. Bennett had four games in the regular season with a negative run defense grade from PFF. PFF is not fantastic at their grades in some ways, but their problems apply to all the players, so for comparative purposes player-to-player, it's usually a decent indicator. Robert Quinn also had four games where he earned a negative run defense grade.

You are simply speculating that guys like Mathis or Quinn would be every-down players on our defense. I don't think they would be, actually. We love the D-line rotation and keeping guys as fresh as possible.

bigcc

Reaction score
RCATES":2wc7c1y0 said:
My Outlook on this is simple. Good pass rusher's in this league are a dime a dozen

so why was it such an issue leading up to this season? Lmao

jblaze

Reaction score
Lady Talon":3ob7hsxb said:
And wasn't run at anymore then Sherman was tested. Reputation is a wonderful thing. If I saw Hill, Irvin, Mayowa etc. on a 3rd and 6, I wouldn't have much issue pounding the ball right at them on a 3rd and 6.

This isn't really how it works like it works in the passing game. They don't try to avoid DE's because of run stuffing prowess or reputation. They'll double team them or typically try to run right at them and that yields more success than running away from them and letting them pursue and run it down.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
jblaze":2wg674u6 said:
Lady Talon":2wg674u6 said:

This isn't really how it works like it works in the passing game. They don't try to avoid DE's because of run stuffing prowess or reputation. They'll double team them or typically try to run right at them and that yields more success than running away from them and letting them pursue and run it down.

Chances are a significant hole where they should have been anchoring is going to be exploited. If I were a RB, I'd be looking for such a hole, even if it isn't designed to be the hole. Chances are, holes weren't usually found where Bennett was involved. Unfortunately not many of our young DL players with a pass rush ability have notable success when the OL is pushing into them instead of dropping back to pass protect.

When faced with someone who thinks good pass rushers grow on trees, I figured it was a decent enough analogy.

McGruff

Reaction score
RCATES":kbvndg45 said:
My Outlook on this is simple. Good pass rusher's in this league are a dime a dozen. If he want's a top tier contract he can get it somewhere else. He can also enjoy playing on a losing team and later reflect on a lot of his success came because of the other players on the Hawks defense and was part of a good rotation of pass rushers.

You lost me in the second sentence . . .

getnasty

Reaction score
Bennett might be the most important player on this defense not named Earl Thomas