Bennett not open to home town discount

Crizilla

Reaction score
McGruff":1jtdd0tp said:
RCATES":1jtdd0tp said:
My Outlook on this is simple. Good pass rusher's in this league are a dime a dozen. If he want's a top tier contract he can get it somewhere else. He can also enjoy playing on a losing team and later reflect on a lot of his success came because of the other players on the Hawks defense and was part of a good rotation of pass rushers.

You lost me in the second sentence . . .

yeah, if they're a dime a dozen, shouldn't we keep him?

Subzero717

Reaction score
getnasty":2y56v8fj said:
Bennett might be the most important player on this defense not named Earl Thomas

Wait what? Kam, Sherm, KJ. Guys that play every down? Even Mebane is more important IMO. He benefits from being next to Avril and Mcdonald and likewise. Im not saying he isnt important just not a key.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
McGruff":glc4kv87 said:
RCATES":glc4kv87 said:
My Outlook on this is simple. Good pass rusher's in this league are a dime a dozen. If he want's a top tier contract he can get it somewhere else. He can also enjoy playing on a losing team and later reflect on a lot of his success came because of the other players on the Hawks defense and was part of a good rotation of pass rushers.

Lol at calling good pass rushers a dime a dozen there are reasons they are paid so well.

Bennett signed a one year deal at a discount with the hope of getting a bigger contract. He has every right to do that, it's annoying people get butt-hurt about it.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
getnasty":1gck4kgg said:
Bennett might be the most important player on this defense not named Earl Thomas

Wouldn't go that far, most valuable linemen because of his versatility? Yes. To his credit he didn't just put up numbers this year he was highly successful in Tampa Bay as well.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Bennett was just as good in TB a year prior. The only reason he's getting so much publicity is because he's on a SB winning team. I guarantee you there are other players in UFA that will go for less that can be as good as Bennett- Melton and Tuck to name two.

Teams don't have a lot of cap room. Once the cuts start coming down, you'll see a huge amount of players with less cap space than ever. I still believe we re-sign Bennett, but if someone overpays him, we'll find a replacement.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
getnasty":1qi35ycv said:

I really don't agree with this. You could argue he's Top 3 in terms of talent, but Sherman, Chancellor, Mebane and whoever is running the MIKE (Bobby/KJ) are more important to the defense in general.

We had the #1 scoring D in 2012 with a mediocre pass rush. Obviously, Bennett/Avril took us over the top, but I don't think interior pressure is fundamental to what we do as long as we're getting production out of the LEO. Of course, it's better to have it than to not, but losing Chancellor or Sherman in the middle of a game changes the entire dynamic of that game. IMO, the loss of Bennett wouldn't come close to that impact.

getnasty

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":3kmfingj said:
getnasty":3kmfingj said:

Wait what? Kam, Sherm, KJ. Guys that play every down? Even Mebane is more important IMO. He benefits from being next to Avril and Mcdonald and likewise. Im not saying he isnt important just not a key.

Bennett plays more then any DL we have, and you have it backwards Avril and McDonald benefit from playing with Bennett.

Subzero717

Reaction score
getnasty":335itwlk said:
CALIHAWK1":335itwlk said:
getnasty":335itwlk said:

Bennett plays more then any DL we have, and you have it backwards Avril and McDonald benefit from playing with Bennett.

and likewise?????

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I like Bennett, he's a funny dude but I think he took it a little far with his Costco comments.

Truth is he can either be stinkin' rich and happy with the hawks, or more stinking rich without the guarantee of being happy with another team.

If taking a little less money to go to a place you'll be happier and more likely to prosper is Costco, then count me in.

Heyseed

Reaction score
Let him go, so he can regret it
We love you Bennett, that's all

Tokadub

Reaction score
In light of Bennett's D-head comment I'm just gonna go ahead and say it. Bennett is NOT that good. F this guy kick him off the team.

He is the perfect fit BECAUSE we have a perfect system for him, there are so many other weapons on our teams defense he just has a play day EVERY day. There are at least 30+ guys who are comparable to Bennett in the NFL not even including the upcoming draft.

I bit my tongue because all you guys are obsessed with the guy for no apparent reason. But now that he's pretty much saying "F" the Seahawk i don't care where I play let's cut this SOB. I'm serious, someone show me some kind of highlight reel or a play that is special from him. I've NEVER thought he was that good and all your guys love for him straight up baffles me.

He is an overweight guy with decent movement, that's all nothing more nothing less. I cannot remember ONE SINGLE PLAY where I was like wow Bennett is so good! I just shut my mouth since everyone here is in love with him, but personally I think retaining TATE is MUCH MORE IMPORTANT.

Edit: Oh just to clarify Michael Bennett has virtually no highlight videos as a Seahawk. He truly isn't special our defense is just so good his stats are overblown because he's in the ME ME ME stat position on our team, that's the truth.

Scratch that his movement isn't even that good 5 second 40 yard dash...

Do you guys realize Bruce Irvin had 8 sacks his rookie season that's .5 less than Michael Bennett and you guys are all like let's cut Irvin he's a no show! Michael Bennett mustered basically the same sack count as Irvin his rookie season and suddenly he's the man???

Bennett is not as good as people are saying and I truly want to know where the source of all this Bennett love is coming from. It seems to me like media bologna but I'm waiting for someone to prove he's good...

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Tokadub":29xi1kqy said:
In light of Bennett's D-head comment I'm just gonna go ahead and say it. Bennett is NOT that good. F this guy kick him off the team.

He is the perfect fit BECAUSE we have a perfect system for him, there are so many other weapons on our teams defense he just has a play day EVERY day. There are at least 30+ guys who are comparable to Bennett in the NFL not even including the upcoming draft.

I bit my tongue because all you guys are obsessed with the guy for no apparent reason. But now that he's pretty much saying "F" the Seahawk i don't care where I play let's cut this SOB. I'm serious, someone show me some kind of highlight reel or a play that is special from him. I've NEVER thought he was that good and all your guys love for him straight up baffles me.

He is an overweight guy with decent movement, that's all nothing more nothing less. I cannot remember ONE SINGLE PLAY where I was like wow Bennett is so good! I just shut my mouth since everyone here is in love with him, but personally I think retaining TATE is MUCH MORE IMPORTANT.

Should probably go back to that biting your tongue plan.

At no point has Bennett said anything negative about the Seahawks. He has clearly stated he'd love to stay. He just said that he's not going to give a discount. No player should be expected to give a discount unless their play has been underwhelming.

As for you never thinking he was good, I suppose that's your prerogative. You're wrong, though. Here's what Pro Football Focus says about Bennett:

The Seahawks built the core of their Super Bowl winning team through some fantastic late round draft picks. With players like Richard Sherman and Kam Chancellor arriving via fifth round selections it freed up some extra money for them to make some luxury signings. That included bringing in Bennett on a one-year deal last year, after the former Tampa Bay Buccaneers standout failed to find a multi-year deal with concerns about rotator cuff injury scaring teams off. He became one of the best signings of the year, playing a key role in a Seahawks defense that steamrollered their way to hoisting the Lombardi Trophy.

From 434 pass rushing snaps in the regular season and playoffs, Bennett produced 11 sacks, 17 hits and 47 hurries, good for a Pass Rushing Productivity rating of 13.6 that was bettered only by Robert Quinn and Cameron Wake at defensive end in 2013. His best play came in the playoffs, where he had a PRP Rating of 14.5, with his most dominant performance coming in the Divisional Round against the New Orleans Saints. Playing inside 19 of his 56 snaps at the left defensive tackle spot, he made light work of Saints right guard Jahri Evans, beating him for a sack and five hurries as a pass rusher, and getting past him to force a fumble from running back Mark Ingram.

That performance highlighted another aspect of Bennett’s importance, the fact that he can play so well both as an edge rusher and inside. Playing on the outside in the Seahawks’ base defense, and moving inside on obvious pass rushing downs, he saw 275 of his 759 snaps come at either nose or defensive tackle.

He was the second-highest graded player on a talented Seattle defensive line, and offers a versatility that the likes of Brandon Mebane simply don’t have. And even with a fairly stacked class of edge rushers this year, Bennett is still the best fit for the Seahawks. A blend of versatility and performance that’s tough to match, the Seahawks would be foolish to let him go after such an impressive year.

EDIT: Nevermind, don't bother responding. Just saw that you edited your post and compared Bennett to Irvin's 2012 season. You just compared two completely different positions/roles on defense. I wonder if you've even paid attention to what happened on our D-line this season, or if you just look at sack numbers and highlight videos and think that's the be-all, end-all of defensive skill.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Crizilla":3oyceuhr said:
McGruff":3oyceuhr said:
RCATES":3oyceuhr said:

yeah, if they're a dime a dozen, shouldn't we keep him?

I think you have the meaning mixed up lol. But to the other guy, no they are not a dime a dozen and yes we should keep him, but we just don't know at what cost.

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2iojg60a said:
getnasty":2iojg60a said:

...but losing Chancellor or Sherman in the middle of a game changes the entire dynamic of that game. IMO, the loss of Bennett wouldn't come close to that impact.

I'm cherry-picking of course, but the Texans game supports this claim. I believe we were down 17-3 when MB left that game on a stretcher. If Sherm left at that point, no Pick 6, we lose that game and SF likely wins the NFCW. I say "likely" because of the Butterfly Effect and all. By the straight up numbers, they do.

I'll reiterate that I badly want Bennett back, but only if it's in a way that doesn't cripple us going forward. This is where JS earns his money. I imagine his hair color will match Pete's by the start of next season.

Schadie001

Reaction score
This is business, you play well you get paid, you don't play well you don't get paid. We gave the guy a play well this year for less and raise you stock kind of contract last year. Well sorry to say but the guy was money and is gonna get money. Pass rushers are "not" a dime a dozen as many here would like to think. If they were why has our pass rush pretty much sucked (minus Clem) for a long time. There are players we have that are easily let go to accommodate a Bennett contract. (Rice, Miller, Bryant, Clemons).

Many say that they want Bennett back but only if he doesn't cripple us. I say that about anyone one of our players (Thomas, Sherman, Wilson...). Thankfully, we have an above average front office that has a plan and I'm sure MB fits into that plan and they have a number and all we can do is hope that MB has close to the same number. If he does he'll be a Seahawk next year, if he doesn't he won't.

I trust our FO to keep us competitive given all the tough decisions they have to make. They haven't done to bad thus far.

Tokadub

Reaction score
All I know is if I'm in the front office and I need money for Wilson, Sherman, Thomas and I hear some guy making comments that he doesn't care where he goes he's all about the money the guy is gone plain and simple.

Truth is we can't afford to give Bennett a huge contract, he's old and his numbers aren't that great. The other players on our defense are so good that it is going to inflate the stats of anyone who is in Bennett's roll. He is basically the pick up the garbage guy, he doesn't make things happen he just cleans up. There are many other players on our defense who are much more important and I truly believe all this Bennett stuff is mindless media hype.

They say Wilson is a game manager, they call our receivers pedestrian, but then they say Bennett is our most important FA decision and you really gonna believe them?

I'm not denying that Bennett is a solid player, in fact he's very good when measured by certain criteria. But from what I've seen he is NOT SPECIAL. He's old, not that fast, not that explosive. He's just sitting plop in the middle of an all time great defense how many guys could look bad in his spot honestly?

If we had a different situation where we weren't about to drop 40+ million with money we don't have he could get 6-8 million to play 2-3 years with us. Right now I think the most we can give him is 6 million/year for 2 years and even that I don't think he's worth it knowing what's gonna happen when we pay Russell.

Has anyone done the math really? I've glanced over it quickly and we are in BIG TROUBLE, don't have to be Albert Einstein to see we do NOT HAVE THE MONEY to pay some dude 6+ million a year unless his name is Wilson, Thomas, or Sherman.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
Why do you keep saying Bennett is old? He's 28. We could lock him into a 4 year contract and get 4 great years out of him.

Your entire post is basically you admitting you have no idea what you're talking about. Bennett is a great player. The only argument is how much money is he worth to the Seahawks.

He has never said anything bad about the hawks and has stated multiple times that he would love to be back, but he does want to be compensated fairly. For his level of play this season and his career up to this point, a "fair" figure is going to be significant. I will trust this FO to make the best decision for this team going forward, whether that is Bennett or not. Personally, I would like to see him return. If you think he doesn't have any "highlights" from this year, then you need to rewatch the games.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Archer":2k42ln3r said:
Why do you keep saying Bennett is old? He's 28. We could lock him into a 4 year contract and get 4 great years out of him.

Because 28 is old for football players, especially DE's who hit the wall as much as any other position when it comes to diminished return on your investment.

Just look at Clem, 11 sacks a year until he hit 31, blows out his knee, hasn't been the same since and is about to get cut.

So you have to be careful giving a 4 yr deal to a 28 year old player, because cutting players before their contract expires does hit the cap. When we cut Clemons, we'll still take a 2.1 million dead cap hit.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
The Seahawks have a number and they will not budge. If Bennett takes a 6-7 million dollar range contract we keep him, if he wants more, out the door. We have Greg Scruggs and Hill to replace him and before he tore his ACL, they were absolutely crazy about Scruggs. The drop off will be minimal if any at all.

Latest posts