Bennett not open to home town discount

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Ugh, not surprised and I don't blame him at all, but it kind of hurts to see it in writing lol. Hope we'll be able to afford him, but I'm not goona get my hopes up. Everyone wants him back, he wants to be here, sucks to see it come down like this if he leaves.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
He's not going to Chicago unless he wants less than Seattle can pay him..They have so much into Cutler,Forte ,Marshall and Peppers..He probaly is gone however and the great thing is we can replace him.
There are other 1 yr deals looking to try to get a ring and get paid just like he did..We draft well and you know PC and JS leave no rock unturned we will be fine..We just might be even better next year don't bet against it..

Keyhawk

Reaction score
Let him test free agency. The front office takes a chance of losing him, but maybe he goes back to the Seahawks and asks them to match the best offer he received.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
This has been a great thread. Way too often, fans operate on a double standard and expect players to not be "greedy" or whatever. I'm glad that we're not looking at a situation where the fanbase will become a bunch of haters toward him if he leaves.

But hopefully we can just avoid having him leave altogether. I agree with others that Schneider won't do anything reckless to keep him, so I have faith that if we re-sign him it will be on a nice fair deal.

Decimation

Reaction score
He was money for us this year and he will be missed if he can't re-sign here.

Thanks for helping bring a ring to Seattle, Bennett.

James in PA

Reaction score
This is why it's so huge that we won the Super Bowl this year. The talent level on this roster this year was beyond sick. The Hawks took full advantage of guys like Russell Wilson and Sherman being significantly underpaid. When the big payday comes for these underpaid players, there is no way you can assemble a team quite as good as this one. I think the Hawks will re sign Bennett unless someone pulls a "Dan Snyder" and significantly overpays. I do agree with others that Clem is most likely gone. In Pete and Schneider we trust.

kearly

Reaction score
If Seattle franchises Bennett, I wonder if they can do so as a DT? It's $8.4 million for a DT, $11.1 for a DE.

Bennett would probably be pissed if he was franchised though. Especially for the lower number. I'm guessing JS wouldn't go there.

As far as Bennett goes, I'm fine with the team committing big resources into Bennett. Productive interior pass rushers are not easy to find.

kf3339

Reaction score
kearly":3s9cbmz6 said:
If Seattle franchises Bennett, I wonder if they can do so as a DT? It's $8.4 million for a DT, $11.1 for a DE.

Bennett would probably be pissed if he was franchised though. Especially for the lower number. I'm guessing JS wouldn't go there.

As far as Bennett goes, I'm fine with the team committing big resources into Bennett. Productive interior pass rushers are not easy to find.

Just curious Kearly but can Bennett actually be franchised? I was under the impression that a UFA who signs with us is not able to be franchised. I thought the franchise tag can only be applied to a player we originally drafted and his contract is finished?

seadoc30

Reaction score
He kinda pissed me off yesterday. I mean yes u played well n deserved to be paid, but why start being so ignorant and taking such a hard stance before anyone/team has spoken to you about a contract! Will it take anything away from you if you clearly say that you love and appreciate this organization n team and would give a discount? It's not likes someone is going to run in there at that moment and make you sign a contract. He kind of dissed the team IMO and showed no appreciation. Very unthankful and unprofessional!

Tate on the other hand went very professional about it. He clearly stressed his appreciation and desire to stay here. He saying all of this will not back off any better deal he might get from other teams or cause the Seahawks to Low ball him. It's going to be the same market out there for him. The discount which he mentioned just means that if he gets a similar or just a little less from the Seahawks, he would stay here. And any grown up understands that a discount doesn't mean multi-millions of dollars. That discount will not ruin your future or your family's future (as Bennett is so worried about).

I hope Bennet doesn't receive any good deal again this year and has to come beg Pete again to let him 'bet on himself' again. I think his immature and selfish nature is the reason the Bucs didn't resign him last year.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
seadoc30":32dsu13e said:
He kinda pissed me off yesterday. I mean yes u played well n deserved to be paid, but why start being so ignorant and taking such a hard stance before anyone/team has spoken to you about a contract! Will it take anything away from you if you clearly say that you love and appreciate this organization n team and would give a discount? It's not likes someone is going to run in there at that moment and make you sign a contract. He kind of dissed the team IMO and showed no appreciation. Very unthankful and unprofessional!

Tate on the other hand went very professional about it. He clearly stressed his appreciation and desire to stay here. He saying all of this will not back off any better deal he might get from other teams or cause the Seahawks to Low ball him. It's going to be the same market out there for him. The discount which he mentioned just means that if he gets a similar or just a little less from the Seahawks, he would stay here. And any grown up understands that a discount doesn't mean multi-millions of dollars. That discount will not ruin your future or your family's future (as Bennett is so worried about).

I hope Bennet doesn't receive any good deal again this year and has to come beg Pete again to let him 'bet on himself' again. I think his immature and selfish nature is the reason the Bucs didn't resign him last year.

SMH dude...you clearly don't understand how this thing works. Bennett did nothing wrong. In a business where a team can discard you at the first sign of a decrease, all Bennett is doing is protecting himself. What Tate did was actually very dumb in the grand scheme of things. When it comes to negotiating time, his agent can't maximize his earnings because the team knows what he said.

Just because Bennett wants to earn what he deserves doesn't mean he doesn't love and appreciate Seattle. Have you forgotten that he never wanted to leave here in the first place? He's stated many times how he loves it here and wants to retire a Seahawk

Lol @ selfish and immature. Some people expect too damn much

seadoc30

Reaction score
-The Glove-":3vc2nq66 said:
SMH dude...you clearly don't understand how this thing works. Bennett did nothing wrong. In a business where a team can discard you at the first sign of a decrease, all Bennett is doing is protecting himself. What Tate did was actually very dumb in the grand scheme of things. When it comes to negotiating time, his agent can't maximize his earnings because the team knows what he said.

Just because Bennett wants to earn what he deserves doesn't mean he doesn't love and appreciate Seattle. Have you forgotten that he never wanted to leave here in the first place? He's stated many times how he loves it here and wants to retire a Seahawk

I clearly don't understand how these things work?? Ok Mr. GM, can you explain how these things works rather than just stating I am wrong?

It's not rocket science. It's a competition between teams to sign a certain player. Every player has shown what he can/can't do on the field and based on that, he, his agent, his current team, the other teams know his value range and what he is worth. It's not a mystery for anyone what to offer a certain player.

Now my understand of how all this works is simple words is that a Player/Agent come up with his clients value range and allows the Seahawks to agree or disagree or counteroffer. Then he moves on to other interested teams with their terms. Finally the counter offers come in, they select the best option.

Now how does it make any difference if a player professes his love for his current team? It's not like he came out and said he would do anything to stay at any cost. It will not have any affect on the offers he will get. When was the last player that expressed his love for his team receive a deceptive contract? At the end of the day, you still have the power to choose where and what your gana accept.

Also I never said why Bennett didn't get a Seahawks tattoo on his forehead to show his appreciation. I said he played well and deserves to think about himself and his family, but doesn't need to come on national TV and completely sound like he is ready to jump the ship if the Seahawks offer is even just a couple thousand dollars lower than another teams offer.

brettb3

Reaction score
I don't get that point of view. Bennett didn't diss Seattle at all. He just didn't box himself in when it comes time to negotiate. Remember, he also said his preference is to stay with Seattle. I think the Hawks will create the cap space necessary to keep him, and this will all be a moot point.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
kf3339":2rrsg0q7 said:
kearly":2rrsg0q7 said:

Just curious Kearly but can Bennett actually be franchised? I was under the impression that a UFA who signs with us is not able to be franchised. I thought the franchise tag can only be applied to a player we originally drafted and his contract is finished?

We franchised Olindo Mare a few years ago. You can franchise whoever you want.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Snakeeyes007":1u8sjlgc said:
If Bennett were two years younger, I could see a bigger challenge to resigning him. However, he will be turning 29 before the start of next season, which most likely places him in the 3-4 year contract range, similar to what we gave Clemons. Since Avril is a younger version of Clemons, I expect the Hawks to make a business decision, cut Clem, and re-sign Bennett to a deal near the Clemons contract. Bennett offers us more versatility along the defensive line, and the Hawks may be eyeing cutting Red as well if he won't restructure, which means we may need a bigger DE to play the Elephant role as well. Bennett is about 60 lbs. lighter than Red, and not as fast as Clemons, but the versatility he provides in playing multiple positions neither Clem nor Red has. Remember, Pete and John like highly versatile players.

Unless there is a desperate team out there that offers Bennett a Kruger type contract (overpaying to lure a player to a poor team), I expect Bennett will be back with us again next year.

Next year's rushing lineup (not including draftees) projection:

Starting LE - Bennett or Bryant
Starting RE - Avril
Rotation DE's - Irvin, Mayoya, Schofield

Not sure where you're going with on this. Avril is nothing like Bennett. Avril is more explosive and is a pure edge rusher; he can also play in space and go out into coverage if needed.

Bennett is a hyrbrid. He can rush the edge but also go inside and tear up guards with his speed. He's bigger, stronger, and anchors against the run on a totally different level than Avril. We'd restructure or cut Bryant and get all the run support he gave us while getting 10x more edge pressure with Bennett.

What we'd need "in the wings" is someone who could either serve a Bryant role (Williams?) or Bennett's role last year, like maybe Scruggs. Most of our DL was much more effective as they could be rotated.

You might be right about the age thing though. I think it's going to limit the length of contract offers out there. Don't forget he still has a torn rotator cuff, although that probably won't be a concern this year as it was last year. There's always some dumbass GM on a bad team looking to make a splash, so the potential to get overpaid is definately there.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
seadoc30":rf9jl5wi said:
-The Glove-":rf9jl5wi said:

I clearly don't understand how these things work?? Ok Mr. GM, can you explain how these things works rather than just stating I am wrong?

It's not rocket science. It's a competition between teams to sign a certain player. Every player has shown what he can/can't do on the field and based on that, he, his agent, his current team, the other teams know his value range and what he is worth. It's not a mystery for anyone what to offer a certain player.

Now my understand of how all this works is simple words is that a Player/Agent come up with his clients value range and allows the Seahawks to agree or disagree or counteroffer. Then he moves on to other interested teams with their terms. Finally the counter offers come in, they select the best option.

Now how does it make any difference if a player professes his love for his current team? It's not like he came out and said he would do anything to stay at any cost. It will not have any affect on the offers he will get. When was the last player that expressed his love for his team receive a deceptive contract? At the end of the day, you still have the power to choose where and what your gana accept.

Also I never said why Bennett didn't get a Seahawks tattoo on his forehead to show his appreciation. I said he played well and deserves to think about himself and his family, but doesn't need to come on national TV and completely sound like he is ready to jump the ship if the Seahawks offer is even just a couple thousand dollars lower than another teams offer.

Maybe I was a little harsh with the beginning of my last post. For that, I apologize. But go read the post of yours I quoted earlier and the post above. You didn't say any of those things. What's with the tattooing Seahawks on the forehead comment? You said he "showed no appreciation". I explained he clearly has/did. He deserves to think about his family but you hope he doesn't get any good deals so he has to come back begging to JS? He didn't diss the team and I have no idea where you're getting that from.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Bennett being highly effective on a consistent and ongoing basis on both the inside and the outside means we MUST re-sign him, no matter what. It sucks, but we need to pay the man whatever it takes.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Bennett has spent time in another place, so knows what he's got in Seattle. Not knocking Tampa, he just knows how special Seattle is. Plus, having a legitimate chance to play for a Re-Pete is going to be a factor. Still, the Seahawks are going to work it out to pay him deserved money to keep him. All will be happy. In terms of contract + every other benefit, Bennett knows it's in his best interest to stay with the Seahawks. It would take crazy money I don't think will be offered elsewhere for him to give up what he's got. Even crazy money may not lure him away. I think he's thinking Seahawks all the way. Just doesn't want to be insulted with a low ball offer.