Bennett not open to home town discount

ivotuk

Reaction score
I think Michael can get close to Geno Atkins money. 5 years 54.75 million. Geno got a 15 Million dollar signing bonus which won't be happening here.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Bre ... -deal.html

More power to him, he's looking out for his family. He's been a great player, a team player, all year, unselfish, and very entertaining on the radio.

I'll miss the guy, but we already have Percy Harvin making that kind of money. (6 years 64 million)

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seah ... cy-harvin/

Thank you Michael Bennett! :th2thumbs:

Jville

Reaction score
Looks to me like Michael Bennett will finally have the opportunity to discover his market value. That was the plan and that was the one year agreement.

The Bennett signing was a signal of how much emphasis the defense places on the 3 technique. Bennett's success is confirmation of how big a difference a playmaker at that position can make.

Bennett's retention or departure will not change that emphasis. There are a couple of 3 technique projects under contract and already on the roster for 2014.

The effort to improve the roster continues. I'm all in for 2014.

Tical21

Reaction score
No way he gets 10 mil per. He's never had double-digit sacks in his career. 10 mil is for elite pass rushers. Geno Atkins is the best DT in the NFL.

Are we confident that he plays with the same chip on his shoulder after he gets paid? He sure looked like he played like a desperate, contract year player this past year. Does he fight through doubleteams and guards with the same fervor after he gets paid?

Would you rather have Bennett than Okung? What if it made it much more difficult to sign Sherman?

We've got Irvin and Hill kind of waiting in the wings. We probably have a shot to retain Schofield.

We could possibly restructure Clem.

I'm just more worried than most about adding high paid players at this point. I want to keep Okung and Sherman, and although I really love what Bennett did, I don't know that I want to pay big dollars for it.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
ivotuk":6v88hxof said:
I think Michael can get close to Geno Atkins money. 5 years 54.75 million. Geno got a 15 Million dollar signing bonus which won't be happening here.

More power to him, he's looking out for his family. He's been a great player, a team player, all year, unselfish, and very entertaining on the radio.

I'll miss the guy, but we already have Percy Harvin making that kind of money. (6 years 64 million)

Atkins is 25 and arguably Cincinnati's best player (right up there with AJ Green). Bennett shares neither of those distinctions. Atkins is more like the ET/Sherman of his team in terms of value. I think Bennett and Atkins are on two completely different tiers.

chihawk

Reaction score
Wartooth":3v4pv1te said:
More than likely if he does go down the road, it will be to a lesser team.

I think this is a given....any other team in the league is currently a lesser team.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
He just wants to be paid market value. I have no problem with it. I hope we can work a deal for him
If not others are available

kf3339

Reaction score
I have a strong feeling if his price is too high you will see McDaniel and McDonald re-signed before a final decision is made on Bennett. Both played really well and we do have Hill waiting in the wings who may be ready for more playing time this year.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Here are some other options on the FA market. Do we have a plug and play defense, or is Bennett core to what we do because he's so versatile?

Defensive ends

Jared Allen, Minnesota Vikings
Robert Ayers, Denver Broncos
Marcus Benard, Arizona Cardinals
Michael Bennett, Seattle Seahawks
Andre Carter, New England Patriots
Kenyon Coleman, New Orleans Saints
Keyunta Dawson, New Orleans Saints
Everson Griffen, Minnesota Vikings
Greg Hardy, Carolina Panthers
Lamarr Houston, Oakland Raiders
Jason Hunter, Oakland Raiders
Israel Idonije, Detroit Lions
Tyson Jackson, Kansas City Chiefs
Arthur Jones, Baltimore Ravens
Michael Johnson, Cincinnati Bengals
Brett Keisel, Pittsburgh Steelers
Ricardo Mathews, Indianapolis Colts
Jeremy Mincey, Denver Broncos
Mike Neal, Green Bay Packers
Frostee Rucker, Arizona Cardinals
Matt Shaughnessy, Arizona Cardinals
Lawrence Sidbury, Indianapolis Colts
Antonio Smith, Houston Texans
Anthony Spencer, Dallas Cowboys
Daniel Te'o-Nesheim, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Justin Tuck, New York Giants
Corey Wootton, Chicago Bears
C.J. Wilson, Green Bay Packers
Jarius Wynn, Dallas Cowboys
Willie Young, Detroit Lions

Hawks46

Reaction score
Exittium":39tqh34f said:
I think everyone assumed he'd be giving a hometown discount when there was no mention of him giving one at all, however according to that link and quote (or maybe im taking it out of context considering it is in text and not a soun clip) His @ss won't be back next yr, and he'll want to much money. And according on the 6th he want to get paid, so see ya Bennett, go have fun with your brother. #wontbemissed Next Man Up!

I'm personally all for paying someone when they earn it, but not after 1 year of great plays, I prefer at least 2-3.

Well shit I forgot his @ss is an Aggie no wonder he wants more money..

Wow, why the aggravation over it ?

If anyone should be wanting that big contract, it's Bennett. He's at that age where this is probably his last big contract, and his only real shot at a long term contact with decent guaranteed money. Thing is, he's never really been paid all that much, so this is his only opportunity to hit it big, and I'm for it (usually I think players want more than they're worth, for the record).

I saw 2 quotes on that Rotoword page: one says he's not interested in taking a pay cut. Well, he only made 5 mil last year, so he shouldn't have to take an actual pay cut, and he's worth a ton more than that as one of the top 4-3 DE's in the league that can slide in and play DT when needed.

It really depends on what everyone else is going to want. If Sherm wants to break the bank, if Thomas wants to break the bank, and if Wilson wants to break the bank, we're going to have to decide who's the most important because we're going to be saying goodbye to a lot of guys if we pay all 4 huge money.

Personally, I think we overpaid for Percy Harvin. We should've been able to get that deal done for 7-8 mil a year and not the 10+ he got.

Exittium

Reaction score
Hawks46":3dbg7b3y said:
Exittium":3dbg7b3y said:
I think everyone assumed he'd be giving a hometown discount when there was no mention of him giving one at all, however according to that link and quote (or maybe im taking it out of context considering it is in text and not a soun clip) His @ss won't be back next yr, and he'll want to much money. And according on the 6th he want to get paid, so see ya Bennett, go have fun with your brother. #wontbemissed Next Man Up!

I'm personally all for paying someone when they earn it, but not after 1 year of great plays, I prefer at least 2-3.

Well shit I forgot his @ss is an Aggie no wonder he wants more money..

Wow, why the aggravation over it ?

If anyone should be wanting that big contract, it's Bennett. He's at that age where this is probably his last big contract, and his only real shot at a long term contact with decent guaranteed money. Thing is, he's never really been paid all that much, so this is his only opportunity to hit it big, and I'm for it (usually I think players want more than they're worth, for the record).

I saw 2 quotes on that Rotoword page: one says he's not interested in taking a pay cut. Well, he only made 5 mil last year, so he shouldn't have to take an actual pay cut, and he's worth a ton more than that as one of the top 4-3 DE's in the league that can slide in and play DT when needed.

It really depends on what everyone else is going to want. If Sherm wants to break the bank, if Thomas wants to break the bank, and if Wilson wants to break the bank, we're going to have to decide who's the most important because we're going to be saying goodbye to a lot of guys if we pay all 4 huge money.

Personally, I think we overpaid for Percy Harvin. We should've been able to get that deal done for 7-8 mil a year and not the 10+ he got.

I'm not even going to try to get in it with you because you lack how to sense sarcasm. Something a lot of people seem to do. And more particularly they seem to try and argue afterwards when really, tbh I could give really two sh!ts on what happens with bennett.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
The one thing I hope he does is get good tax advise about leaving a state that has no state income tax vs. going to a team located in a state that does have a state income tax.

Over a big multi million dollar contract it can potentially cost him millions more in taxes paid depending on the state tax rates.

GO HAWKS!!!

Basis4day

Reaction score
12HawkFan":3f0hha4x said:
The one thing I hope he does is get good tax advise about leaving a state that has no state income tax vs. going to a team located in a state that does have a state income tax.

Over a big multi million dollar contract it can potentially cost him millions more in taxes paid depending on the state tax rates.

GO HAWKS!!!

Agents are aware of this. Don't worry.

They also advise on cost of living, property tax, Hurricane risks in cities like Miami, all those things.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
lukerguy":1yrb3og4 said:
NFSeahawks628":1yrb3og4 said:
I guess he's going to Chicago, this team will need to look for another solid pass rusher to replace him.

I like him but don't feel like breaking the bank is necessary, its a team game.

If the Bears grab Bennett, then Melton will be on the market. A healthy Melton is regarded as better than Bennett.

Wouldnt peppers be on the market too. I think he is making 18 million this year

jblaze

Reaction score
ivotuk":1swi5v53 said:

11mil a year??? ROFL.

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
Bye Bennett! He got what he wanted, we got what we wanted. Time for us to part ways. Good luck and thanks for the hard work and dedication!

Starrman44

Reaction score
I love Mike Bennett. I trust John S. to make a great decision. Understanding that this is probably Bennett's shot at a final big payday (probably looking for 5 years or so), I say more power to him.

The thing I like about this front office is the ability to define a need and fill it. They also adapt well to personnel, so whatever happens I expect that we will be well set for next year. We may look a little different and even have a little different flavor, but I don't see us taking a step back production wise.

rcaido

Reaction score
Bennett was truly the biggest surprise this year out of all the Seahawks. He worked hard & if the Seahawks cant come to an agreement then no hard feelings. Guy deserves to get paid!

Largent80

Reaction score
If we lose him, we lose him. The best part is he contributed massively to us winning the SB. He had a great season, I loved watching him play and hope he continues doing it for us, whatever it takes, and this "business" of modern NFL football kinda messes up good teams, but it can't mess up a great F.O. which we have.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I feel good, if we lose him, about interior pass rush as long as we keep McDonald. That dude appeared to finally put it all together this year. We would just need another edge guy to rotate in. Maybe two if we cut Clemons and he doesn't come back on a cheaper deal.

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
If Bennett were two years younger, I could see a bigger challenge to resigning him. However, he will be turning 29 before the start of next season, which most likely places him in the 3-4 year contract range, similar to what we gave Clemons. Since Avril is a younger version of Clemons, I expect the Hawks to make a business decision, cut Clem, and re-sign Bennett to a deal near the Clemons contract. Bennett offers us more versatility along the defensive line, and the Hawks may be eyeing cutting Red as well if he won't restructure, which means we may need a bigger DE to play the Elephant role as well. Bennett is about 60 lbs. lighter than Red, and not as fast as Clemons, but the versatility he provides in playing multiple positions neither Clem nor Red has. Remember, Pete and John like highly versatile players.

Unless there is a desperate team out there that offers Bennett a Kruger type contract (overpaying to lure a player to a poor team), I expect Bennett will be back with us again next year.

Next year's rushing lineup (not including draftees) projection:

Starting LE - Bennett or Bryant
Starting RE - Avril
Rotation DE's - Irvin, Mayoya, Schofield

Latest posts