As of now is RW top 5 QB?

hawxfreak

Reaction score
I remember Hass having a good year then a bad year for about 4-5 seasons and he lost the game for us a few times
Everybody makes mistakes but with Hass you never got the feeling when we were behind we were still in it and Russ brings that in spades
Reading about cables blocking techniques and knowing some of Solaris I feel we can be a much better team with just that change right there so I am just exited we can have a chance to see our oline improve dramatically with the same guys and for Britt to turn around and do so well is a statement to good he may be and I know I'm gonna love brown cuz that guys a monster which I hope in turn leads us to a viable run game
I should bet some money on our potential to turn things around , can't wait to see it
Go Hawks
:irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers:

Seymour

Reaction score
AF_BASS_MAN":1kx74dhu said:
KitsapGuy":1kx74dhu said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/nflnetwork/status/975522328770736129[/tweet]

Well apparently not...

Well apparently so.

Attachments

• Wilson-5.jpg
    Wilson-5.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 1,375

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Yes and no. Wilson is an enigma, an oddity at the QB position. This is why he is always bound to get criticism and second guessing thrown his way. Wilson's biggest issue is his lack of consistency. There are points in a game where he will miss the easiest 'gimmie' throws, or not see guys that are running wide open. This happens even if he gets good protection. When he is in these modes he may as well be Tarvaris Jackson.

The other side of Wilson is the terminator. God smiles from the heavens above, and grants Wilson the power to smite his foes with robotic like proficiency. When he is on he looks like the greatest QB to ever play this game. I would take Wilson when he is in the zone over Brady, Montana, Elway, etc. Nobody can stop the man in this mode, he looks almost as if he is possessed. He will make seemingly impossible throws, and he will look like Barry Sanders juking defenders in the backfield, as he throws a perfect pass with defenders draped over him.

This can be a bit jarring. In most games he will look like some back-up QB barely clinging to a job until the late third, and fourth Quarter. This, rightfully so leaves many fans confused, and wondering what exactly Russell Wilson is as a player. This may be why we brought in Schottenheimer. Bevell looked like a pushover, and punching bag for the players. People did not respect him or his schemes. Whenever I saw him he gave me the impression of a meek man that was unable to reign in his players. His authority was also greatly diminished by the co-coordinator set up he had with Cable. He was referred to as a passing game coordinator, and Cable as a running game coordinator. Schottenheimer on the other hand is known for being a hard a---.

This all goes back to Russ. He doesn't play within the confines of the offense. He has always been a QB that made up his own rules as he went. We like to view him as a rank and file guy, but in reality Russ bends every basic rule of playing QB on a regular basis. He is the biggest rogue in the organization on the field. This leads to interesting results that are both good, both bad. He can accomplish this due to his unique talents at QB. Unfortunately, because of this loose style he is lacking in fundamentals as a passer. He does not have the same internal clock that a QB such as Hasselbeck had. It simply does not exist for Wilson because of the miracles he is able to pull off in the backfield.

This bit is important for QB's becoming a consistent force. Wilson needs to learn when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. He will often forgo checkdown routes if they are available, because he knows he may be able to make something big happen. Unfortunately, Pete and Bevell encouraged this style of play. I like to call it hero ball. This style of play leads to awkward throwing positions, and less than ideal mechanics on a regular basis. This is why we see Russ consistently overthrow his receivers. Even if he gets a clear pocket, Russ tends to move around excessively. This is a recipe for bad throws. He doesn't need to be Brees, but he sure could learn a lot from the way he sets up his blockers, and manipulates the pocket. This will lead to more consistent play from Russ, and ultimately elevate his game to the next level.

Russ has developed some really bad habits, and I'm starting to think that maybe this is why a guy like Schottenheimer was brought in over some of the other big names on the market. Schotty is a no non-sense, old school style of coordinator. While I don't think much of his offenses and schemes, I do think he will bring a lot of value in taming our wild stallion of a QB. I think he was brought in more for this reason than his merits as a coordinator. He will demand much more out of Wilson than Bevell, and he will not sit back and be an "oh shucks" type of OC like Bevell was. He will demand accountability from his Quarterback.

So essentially what I said is, yes and no. He is both a top five QB, and not a top five QB.

AF_BASS_MAN

Reaction score
Well he appears to be #1 in the NFCW...so that’s all that really matters lol.

Hopefully it stays that way. Concerning that NFLN has JimmyG at #12 already....

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":3gqldven said:
Lets see

Last year he was

9th in passing yards
1st in passing TD
10th in QB rating
33rd in the league in rushing yards and had over 100 yards more than the next two Seahawk RBs

2 Years ago
10th in passing yards
17th in passing TD
14th in QB rating

Objectively with Stats he is NOT a TOP 5 QB to be honest which sucks...BUT to anyone that knows the circumstances around it, the OL was the worst in the league, he played injured 2 years ago, and he has accounted for a lot of our rushing yards with zero running game. The best RB we have had last 2 years was Christine Micahel with 469 yards.

I think he is a top 5 QB but the stats dont bare it out. Hopefully we will see him return to form this year

Please include completion percentage if your going to throw these out there throw all of them.

IrishNW

Reaction score
Wilson has some great strengths as a QB but he has some serious holes in his game. If he wants to take it to the next level (tom brady level) he needs to fix these. I have been one of the biggest critics of Wilson but I am all aboard the Russ train. That being said I'm still not going to overlook his faults. The dude needs to learn to take what the defense gives him. Check the ball down dude

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
He can't get the ball out quick enough we all know why other than that he's one of the best. It takes him longer to find the open guy than a QB 6'4 that's just a physical reality. He makes up for that with his mobility and accuracy 61 percent comp percentage.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":1cn3j0ew said:
WilsonMVP":1cn3j0ew said:
Lets see

Last year he was

9th in passing yards
1st in passing TD
10th in QB rating
33rd in the league in rushing yards and had over 100 yards more than the next two Seahawk RBs

2 Years ago
10th in passing yards
17th in passing TD
14th in QB rating

Objectively with Stats he is NOT a TOP 5 QB to be honest which sucks...BUT to anyone that knows the circumstances around it, the OL was the worst in the league, he played injured 2 years ago, and he has accounted for a lot of our rushing yards with zero running game. The best RB we have had last 2 years was Christine Micahel with 469 yards.

I think he is a top 5 QB but the stats dont bare it out. Hopefully we will see him return to form this year

Please include completion percentage if your going to throw these out there throw all of them.

I dont see how completion percentage is important...Bradford set a record for that and all he did was check it down all the time

AF_BASS_MAN

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":1il63xyo said:
He can't get the ball out quick enough we all know why other than that he's one of the best. It takes him longer to find the open guy than a QB 6'4 that's just a physical reality. He makes up for that with his mobility and accuracy 61 percent comp percentage.

I think his height is one of the reasons why we see him scrambling and running around in circles most the time.

It’s troubling to imagine, but are the receivers compensating for RW due to his inability to scan the field properly? It used to be fun to watch him dink and dunk an entire teams pass rush from 10-20 years behind the line of scrimmage, but it’s gotten old.

Now every time I see him trying to break ankles while running in circles waiting for his receivers to get open on a broken play, which seems to be the entire offensive game plan these days, I am scared to death that Russ is going to break/strain his own ankle and ends his season early.

He isn’t a spring chicken anymore.

A.D.I.D.A.S.

Reaction score
Without him they don't even win 5-6 games so I would say yes. Argue stats all you want BUT.......

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2nj60bwq said:
Yes and no. Wilson is an enigma, an oddity at the QB position. This is why he is always bound to get criticism and second guessing thrown his way. Wilson's biggest issue is his lack of consistency. There are points in a game where he will miss the easiest 'gimmie' throws, or not see guys that are running wide open. This happens even if he gets good protection. When he is in these modes he may as well be Tarvaris Jackson. The other side of Wilson is the terminator. God smiles from the heavens above, and grants Wilson the power to smite his foes with robotic like proficiency. When he is on he looks like the greatest QB to ever play this game. I would take Wilson when he is in the zone over Brady, Montana, Elway, etc. Nobody can stop the man in this mode, he looks almost as if he is possessed. He will make seemingly impossible throws, and he will look like Barry Sanders juking defenders in the backfield, as he throws a perfect pass with defenders draped over him.

This can be a bit jarring. In most games he will look like some back-up QB barely clinging to a job until the late third, and fourth Quarter. This, rightfully so leaves many fans confused, and wondering what exactly Russell Wilson is as a player. This may be why we brought in Schottenheimer. Bevell looked like a pushover, and punching bag for the players. People did not respect him or his schemes. Whenever I saw him he gave me the impression of a meek man that was unable to reign in his players. His authority was also greatly diminished by the co-coordinator set up he had with Cable. He was referred to as a passing game coordinator, and Cable as a running game coordinator. Schottenheimer on the other hand is known for being a hard a---.

This all goes back to Russ. He doesn't play within the confines of the offense. He has always been a QB that made up his own rules as he went. We like to view him as a rank and file guy, but in reality Russ bends every basic rule of playing QB on a regular basis. He is the biggest rogue in the organization on the field. This leads to interesting results that are both good, both bad. He can accomplish this due to his unique talents at QB. Unfortunately, because of this loose style he is lacking in fundamentals as a passer. He does not have the same internal clock that a QB such as Hasselbeck had. It simply does not exist for Wilson because of the miracles he is able to pull off in the backfield.

This bit is important for QB's becoming a consistent force. Wilson needs to learn when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. He will often forgo checkdown routes if they are available, because he knows he may be able to make something big happen. Unfortunately, Pete and Bevell encouraged this style of play. I like to call it hero ball. This style of play leads to awkward throwing positions, and less than ideal mechanics on a regular basis. This is why we see Russ consistently overthrow his receivers. Even if he gets a clear pocket, Russ tends to move around excessively. This is a recipe for bad throws. He doesn't need to be Brees, but he sure could learn a lot from the way he sets up his blockers, and manipulates the pocket. This will lead to more consistent play from Russ, and ultimately elevate his game to the next level.

Russ has developed some really bad habits, and I'm starting to think that maybe this is why a guy like Schottenheimer was brought in over some of the other big names on the market. Schotty is a no non-sense, old school style of coordinator. While I don't think much of his offenses and schemes, I do think he will bring a lot of value in taming our wild stallion of a QB. I think he was brought in more for this reason than his merits as a coordinator. He will demand much more out of Wilson than Bevell, and he will not sit back and be an "oh shucks" type of OC like Bevell was. He will demand accountability from his Quarterback.

So essentially what I said is, yes and no. He is both a top five QB, and not a top five QB.

Great post Spin..You nailed a lot,
I just don't believe there will be a line that can block for the guy(as highlighted above)
He NEEDS a strong RB to make his way of playing QB work without getting crazy.
He is a top 5 QB as long as he has SPEED..His height gives him nothing.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":37g6fq0g said:

Then how is Brees one of the most accurate passers ever?

original poster

Reaction score
hawkman":3066hgw3 said:
MD5eahawks":3066hgw3 said:
I really don't get the questioning of Russell Wilson. My god, what does he have to do!?!?

Having the ability to throw consistently to the middle of the field would be a great start. Moving up in the pocket and throwing the ball would be cool to.

Yeah he absolutely sucks throwing to the middle of the field... :roll:

LleXQ5A

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Typical to have someone make a claim that just flat out isn't true. Yeah, he can't pass the ball in the pocket or over the middle. Beyond ridiculous claim. He can do anything that ANY QB in the league can do. Claiming he can't pass over the middle, or in the pocket, or he's too short etc. Change the damn record :roll:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I think Wilson is a much easier QB to evaluate than he is to rank.

What makes him such a hard QB to rank is that he's (I've said this before) probably the most high variance VERY GOOD qb I've ever watched before. It's why people who are invested in saying he's a top 2 or 3 QB in the NFL can point to stretches of games and be absolutely correct, whereas people who are invested in saying he's a 12-15 or so QB in the NFL can also point to stretches of games and be absolutely correct.

Every QB has variance in their game of course, but Wilson's game -- and his real strengths as a QB -- just seem to land even more squarely into high variance areas. By way of example, he throws one of (if not the) best deep balls in the NFL, but deep ball throwing is high variance by its very nature. Likewise, his escapability in the pocket is one of the things that makes him really special, but he also runs into more sacks (and creates more sacks for himself) than any other QB I've watched in a long time. Both of these are things that make Wilson so good, but there are also high variance things that can make him maddening -- he's the only QB who can uncork perfect bombs after making five guys miss in the backfield, but also the only QB who is taking sacks 15 yards behind the LOS multiple times per season too.

With Wilson we also have the factor of his efficiency statistics all slightly trending down a bit, which we would expect as his usage has increased (in each of his six seasons he's thrown more passes than the year before -- last year was his first year in the NFL in which he's been in the top half of the league for pass attempts).

FWIW I'd definitely rather be a fan of the team he plays for than the fan of the team he's playing against. That said, I'd also rather be a fan of the team he plays for than be his OC or be responsible for pass blocking for him. He's a ton of fun to watch and really, really good, although he can be a bit maddening too.

I feel pretty comfortable putting him in that 5-10 range, and I still think he has time (although not as much time as he has in the past -- he has yet to grow out of some things that I was saying three or four years ago I thought he'd grow out of) to level up -- the things he can still improve on are the things that QBs can develop into their 30s (see: Roethlisberger for the primary example).

Ozzy

Reaction score
hawkman":kobjfvyx said:
MD5eahawks":kobjfvyx said:
I really don't get the questioning of Russell Wilson. My god, what does he have to do!?!?

Having the ability to throw consistently to the middle of the field would be a great start. Moving up in the pocket and throwing the ball would be cool to.

This is the worst anti-Wilson argument that someone said and others repeat. He makes throws over the middle consistently and has made plenty of them in his career. It was more a function of the offense then anything else. As for moving up in the pocket we had possibly the worst guard play in pass protection in the league, no one would or could consistently step up under those circumstances. People need to quit looking at individual plays in a vacuum and saying its proof positive that Russell can't do it.....it's ridiculous. Get better line play, better play calling that matches the strengths of the personnel and Wilson is as good as any quarterback in the league.

He is obviously top 5 and I have no idea why this keeps coming up. Seattle fans are weird about this topic.