Arena Deal thread: UPDATE: DEAL PASSED AND SIGNED OFF!!!

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
I have a feeling that event tomorrow night isn't going to be that much fun for Peter Steinbrueck. That's a whole lotta ugly to come out on the subject just before he has to talk about it in front of a whole bunch of people who know he's been lying his ass off.

And no, Pink, that tweet was just there as of a few minutes ago. It was from 11 hours earlier at the time I posted it.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":i781jh3h said:
I have a feeling that event tomorrow night isn't going to be that much fun for Peter Steinbrueck. That's a whole lotta ugly to come out on the subject just before he has to talk about it in front of a whole bunch of people who know he's been lying his ass off.

And no, Pink, that tweet was just there as of a few minutes ago. It was from 11 hours earlier at the time I posted it.
D'oh. I was just going through his recent tweets as I had seen it recently, the 11 hour ago bit made me realize I'm not actually following Levine but saw the retweet by the Sonicsgate guys.

Just read through the leaked documents. Pretty insane to see what's going behind closed doors on that side while Hansen is being the one called suspicious and underhanded.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Here is the address for the Publicola debate. It’s at 7pm at EVO on Capital Hill.

1715 East Olive Way
Seattle, Washington 98102

Attending will be 710 ESPN's Mike Salk, Seattle City Council Member Mike O’Brien, Port Commissioner Tom Albro, and the VIP of the ball, Peter Steinbrueck.

I wasn't originally planning on attending. It didn't seem like that big a deal. But given today's revelations on Steinbrueck, you bet your bottom dollar I'll be there. I want to see his smug face when he's called out for his lies. And if he isn't, I'll be the one to do so.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
And here's the info for the county council hearing. The hearing that just might pass the proposal:

King County Council Meeting
Monday, July 30th
Meeting begins 1:30pm (Estimated end time, 4:00pm)

Council Chambers, King County Courthouse
516 3rd Ave, 12th Floor
Seattle, WA 98104

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
Throwdown":2eubvx0h said:
Bob Ferguson is going to reveal his vote on KJR at 8AM, keep your radios tuned!

And his vote is...

Aaron Levine ‏@AaronQ13Fox
King County Councilman Bob Ferguson announces on @SportsRadioKJR he will vote in favor of Arena Plan. One down, four to go at KCC.

Bam!

Also:

Aaron Levine ‏@AaronQ13Fox
Ferguson: I'm optimistic there will be a vote today, optimistic it will be favorable to Sonics fans. (On @SportsRadioKJR)

Throwdown

Reaction score
Ferg is definetly the man right now, also kind of threw PVR under the bus in the interview.

It was an 8-0 vote to go ahead with what will happen today, and yes PVR voted in favor to move ahead and he pretty much said PVR didn't want it and was saying "its too early" for a vote was to make himself look better. Soooo Ferg, you da man and PVR suck it!

pinksheets

Reaction score
Dave Softy Mahler ‏@Softykjr
City Council sends letter 2 Hansen. Says without changes to MOU "We do not believe proceeding with project would be in Citys best interest."

Signed by 8/9 members.

JOz56

Reaction score
pinksheets":jvbmlqty said:
Dave Softy Mahler ‏@Softykjr
City Council sends letter 2 Hansen. Says without changes to MOU "We do not believe proceeding with project would be in Citys best interest."

Signed by 8/9 members.

Unreal.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
Essex J. Porter ‏@EssexKIRO7
CITY council members are asking developer Chris Hansen to make changes allowing some #SeattleArena revenues to address traffic concerns.
Retweeted by KIRO 7

Essex J. Porter ‏@EssexKIRO7
KING COUNTY COUNCIL members expected to approve #SeattleArena agreement today with amendments after 1:30p public hearing at courthouse
Retweeted by KIRO 7

e81b309842df.jpg

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Seat ... 01046.html

A letter addressed to Hansen and signed by eight council members states the agreements in the Memorandum of Understanding "do not represent an appropriate balance of public and private funds, nor do they sufficiently protect the city from the financial risks inherent in the arena's financing."

The council members said if the issues can be resolved, they are prepared to move quickly on approving a legislative package.

Basically, is this the city's counter-offer? Let the negotiations begin?

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Salk is very adamant that this is just political posturing. He feels this is a small bump in the road. He thinks this is something Hansen should and did expect. Hansen is smart enough to know you don't lead with your best offer otherwise you have nothing to negotiate.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Man.....how much more is Hansen gonna take from the city........I mean I get political posturing.....but when does it get too much?

pinksheets

Reaction score
I don't think Hansen ever thought his proposal was going to get through unchanged, or that his contribution would be only what he pledged originally. Dude is a savvy businessman, he knows your first offer won't likely be your final offer. The City Council has said that they still would like to vote by August 20th, so if the CC and Hansen can hash it out, we might still get the vote done. Apparently nothing being said about having to pass SEPA prior to the MOU being accepted, so who knows, this could end up being a good thing. Just will depend on how fast the negotiating goes, but I think it's safe to say both the CC and Hansen know that Bellevue is lurking in the shadows to some extent, so the sooner they get this done the better.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Hawksfanatik":ixjill0a said:
I hate to be a naysayer but I don't think Seattle government really gives a shit about getting another team.
I'm not sure many politicians in any city do. They're interested in getting their pound of flesh by slapping something on the MOU (just like they do bills) so they can go to their constituents and say "SEE! Look what I did!" Hansen expected that, or else he came in unprepared to deal with politicians.

I actually think the ball is rolling better than it was 2 days ago right now. The CC has laid out what they're looking for, their first line of negotiations basically, as opposed to just general negative sentiment and worry from the council. I think they want this to happen, but on their terms. They want to gain political capital out of this. It's shameful, but it's nothing any of us should be surprised by. It's politics. Everybody who puts their hands on this wants their stamp on it. The CC is the biggest example, as they want to get a) the regard for helping get us a new arena and team(s) AND b) to please the anti-arena folk by bleeding Hansen dry/getting some of the things the opponents are hollering for. They'll meet somewhere in the middle and this will get done. I believe it.