Arena Deal thread: UPDATE: DEAL PASSED AND SIGNED OFF!!!

SeaTown81

Reaction score
The Bellevue talk is nothing but a distractionary tactic by Pete Von Reichbauer, who represents the Mariners interests over the public's, and who has been against this thing from the start. It's been reported that he has ties to this Bellevue talk. He knows that this thing is close to passing, so he's trying to get people distracted and focused on Bellevue and Don Levin, the out of state investor who talked to Bellevue about the NHL last year. Bellevue stated long ago that it was interested in having an arena built there. They just need the investors and plan. To this day, they have yet to get that. Von Reichbauer is doing nothing but drumming up those old talks and Levin's interests simply to get all of the fans and citizens backing Chris Hansen to divert their focus and energy. PVR is desperate. This is his hail mary before the county votes on Monday. Don't fall for his BS.

The funny thing is if he fails to sway his own council at the county, all he's done is risk scaring the Seattle city council into passing this plan out of fear of a Bellevue arena popping up and taking all of their business to the Eastside. Talk about a death nail to Key Arena. PVR may have really screwed up on this. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Anyone who can attend Monday's hearing/potential vote, please do so. We are so close!

SeaTown81

Reaction score
With a vote possibly coming on Monday, SonicsArena.com is urging everyone to call all of the County Council members to let them know you support the proposal.

Even if you don't live in King County, give them a call. Let them know what this means to you. And if you do live outside of the county, let them know that this will bring you into their region and it will lead to you spending money there. A guy from Yakima spoke at last week's hearing and talked about how he took the day off work to come to Seattle just to speak. And that his wife and children were at that moment using his credit card at Seattle Center. More than a couple city and county council members mentioned after the meeting that he stood out to them.

Please call AND email! If you aren't able to call during business hours, leave a message!

District 1
Bob Ferguson
[email protected]
@KCBobFerguson
206-296-1001

District 3
Kathy Lambert
[email protected]
@KathyLambert
206-296-1003

District 4
Larry Phillips
[email protected]
@LarryPhillips
206-296-1004

District 5
Julia Patterson
[email protected]
@CMJulia
206-296-1005

District 2
Larry Gossett, Council Chair
[email protected]
206-296-1002

District 6
Jane Hague, Council Vice Chair
[email protected]
@KCCJaneHague
206-296-1006

District 7
Pete von Reichbauer
[email protected]
206-296-1007

District 8
Joe McDermott
[email protected]
206-296-1008

District 9
Reagan Dunn
[email protected]
@reagandunn
206-296-1009

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Here's the details for the meeting on Monday, when the potential county vote could take place.

Council Chambers, King County Courthouse
516 3rd Ave, 10th Floor
Seattle, WA 98104

Throwdown

Reaction score
Seatown, I salute you, man!

Everytime theres something negative that happens and causes me to have an overreactionary emotional response, you come in to this thread and hit us with the "calm the hell on down". You and everyone else who've been part of this movement from the jump in February deserve personal gold plated seats with cusions though, because that'd suck to sit on for 48 minutes a game you know.

I have a feeling this is going to happen, even against the scrubby Mariners and the whiney Ports protests, I remember back when this came out that they could be against it but they ultimately couldn't stop it, anyone else remember that? It won't be long before we're sitting there rocking our green and gold at the Keyarena for 2 years and then at the new arena for many many many years more. We have to keep the pressure up though on these guys.

To put it into a basketball image, its the 4th quarter with a minute left, we have about a 6pt lead but we need to keep the pressure on a little bit longer! I'm talking full court press, and trapping the hell out of the ball type pressure.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Ha. Nice analogy, Throwdown. Here's the one Brian Robinson gave today at SonicsCentral.com:

For starters please be vigilant in spreading positive stories and news over the next several days. It is important that we do not coast in the final hours. Also attendance at the county council meeting is important. Consider that we are in a playoff game, up by 4 with a minute left, but WE ARE PLAYING ON THE ROAD. If we lose intensity for a second the momentum will turn. Please come if possible.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Anybody hear Levin on Colabro today?

At probably any other time I'd be pumped, as I would for any investor wanting to get an arena in the region that'll bring the NBA and NHL to town. His timing couldn't be worse, though. To me, the guy sounds like the polar opposite of Hansen. He can't string together a sentence, he makes big promises that he later turns around and retracts a sentence later, and any big promises that survive the conversation seem a little too good to be true. No public money, actually I do need bonds, oh but my borrowed bonds will be fully guaranteed by "a financial institution". His argument for why his plan is better rested on better location (nuh uh) and that he knows how to make more money off of concessions.

If Levin were the only guy in the picture, I'd be behind him, but in comparison to what else we have on the table and the guy behind that other offer, Levin sounds like a con man with sweaty palms nervously trying to sell you big dreams at the last second.

chris98251

Reaction score
Typically with a deal this close you don't have professionals come in and try to unseat a situation like this, sounds like someone is using some clout to as stated divide the masses and use a unproven situation with empty promises to derail this, question is which council member is doing it?

JOz56

Reaction score
Curtis Crabtree‏@Curtis_Crabtree

City Council asking Chris Hansen to cover city's yearly $300k subsidy to Seattle Storm & funds for traffic improvements via

What a freakin joke. I'd have told them to get bent long ago, and now they try this crap?

Blitzer88

Reaction score
JOz56":1qeh6yal said:
Curtis Crabtree‏@Curtis_Crabtree

City Council asking Chris Hansen to cover city's yearly $300k subsidy to Seattle Storm & funds for traffic improvements via

What a freakin joke. I'd have told them to get bent long ago, and now they try this crap?

Oh brother.......:sad:

chris98251

Reaction score
City is just trying to extort money from him to cover the cost of KEY arena maintenance and operations as much as they can. I like the traffic improvement part, hey we screwed up Seattle traffic, were going to try to fix it will you pay for that to on top of fixing and refurbishing the SODO area for your arena.

These guys make the Sopranos look like school yard bullies.

JOz56

Reaction score
Throwdown":14a9rnzp said:
Then he should own the wack ass storm then.

I just want to know what happens if he says no, they tell him to get lost, and then the WNBA folds like it will. What is THEIR backup plan for the Key?

Seriously, this is beyond psychotic. If/When this passes, Chris deserves a damn statue for all the crap he has had to endure. We definitely don't deserve him.

Spounge84

Reaction score
JOz56":2tvwy1iy said:
Throwdown":2tvwy1iy said:

I just want to know what happens if he says no, they tell him to get lost, and then the WNBA folds like it will. What is THEIR backup plan for the Key?

Seriously, this is beyond psychotic. If/When this passes, Chris deserves a damn statue for all the crap he has had to endure. We definitely don't deserve him.

So what you're saying is he's not the hero we deserve but the hero we need?

JOz56

Reaction score
JOz56":34ah9mg7 said:
Throwdown":34ah9mg7 said:

HA! Well done. Didn't even realize what i said :p

pinksheets

Reaction score
Dave Softy Mahler ‏@Softykjr
Hearing some things on Arena story tonight. #1, Port of Seattle rumored to have a press conference scheduled tomorrow. No time/location.

Oh Jesus effing Christ. That's going to be a nightmare for sure. I doubt they suddenly found a bunch of data and research to back their claims, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them jump in on dangling the Bellevue option.

#2, KC Council Member Jane Hague sent email to constituents suggesting council will take 2nd vote on final MOU after City approves
#3, KC Council member Kathy Lambert may introduce amendment to satisfy Port. Her vote may hinge on Port reax
#4, language may be introduced tomorrow to reflect Bellevue involvement and SEPA law satisfaction

Anyone with more knowledge understand that last one? Why would their need to be language reflecting Bellevue in a vote to approve the MOU for an entirely different project, and without even a hint of an actual plan from that city?

#5, projected YES votes for KC Council vote tomorrow: McDermott, Gossett, Ferguson, Hague and Patterson. Lambert 50/50. Rest leaning no.
And #6, source telling me City Council insinuating their vote on arena may not come for month or so.

So that means they'll wait until after their 2-week recess? Bet this thing keeps getting pushed and pushed.

chris98251

Reaction score
I said way back they will make this political, if they continue to push out after the primary then it becomes a campaign issue and things can change quickly then.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Via Twitter earlier today:

Aaron Levine ‏@AaronQ13Fox
Arena supporters: We have emails/documents w evidence of opponents intentionally spreading misinformation to defeat the SoDo proposal.

Aaron Levine ‏@AaronQ13Fox
Per email documentation, Peter Steinbrueck lied to the Seattle Times about testimony to City Council as a neutral "concerned citizen"

pinksheets

Reaction score
Did Levine delete that first tweet? I went back to grab that one to post as well, but it appeared to be gone.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
WOW! What a crazy day in the arena story! Sailor linked to some of it. But basically what he have is emails and documents that link high ranking Port and longshoremen officials in both conspiring to take down the arena (with public money) and spread misinformation and fear mongering fliers around town.

To make it simple, the documents prove that ILWU rep Max Vekich is directly tied to a group called "Save Our SODO" that have spread crazy ridiculous propaganda fliers around town. Secondly, emails have leaked that prove that former Seattle city council member Peter Steinbrueck, who has since signed a paid contract to consult with the Port, was in league with the Port back when he first made his rant against the arena to the county council. Back when he claimed to be just a concerned citizen. In subsequent interviews, he claimed he didn't get in contact with the Port until after he spoke at the county council. The emails that have been revealed prove otherwise.

http://sonicsgate.com/public/docs/port/ ... timony.pdf

There's a lot more too.

And here comes the really interesting part. Peter Steinbrueck, former city council member who is currently being paid $60,000 as a consultant to the Port, who LIED about his relationship with the Port, who is currently being paid by the Port who is funded by public taxpayer subsidy, who is also potentially going to run for Mayor next year, just so happens to be attending a public debate tomorrow night. Publicola, a local news outlet, is holding a debate on the arena tomorrow night at Evo in Capital Hill. Steinbrueck, along with Port commissioner Tom Albro will be talking along with Seattle City Council member Mike O'Brien, and Mike Salk of 710 ESPN. Peter Steinbrueck was busted today on lying his ass off to the people of Seattle. Tomorrow he is going to speak in a public forum. I CAN'T WAIT.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Mike Salk, who is debating the arena at the Publicola event tomorrow night against Peter Steinbrueck and Tom Albro, just now on Twitter:

Mike Salk ‏@BrockandSalk
Kudos to the SonicsGate guys for getting the email proof on Steinbruek’s paid relationship w/ the Port that he lied about to Council.

Mike Salk ‏@BrockandSalk
I don’t feel comfortable posting the emails b/c I would hate if that happened to me, but others have.

Mike Salk ‏@BrockandSalk
This should make tomorrow’s 7PM debate @ EVO in CapHill juicier. Please come as I debate Steinbruek and a Port Commish: http://is.gd/1EaYWc

Latest posts