Arena Deal thread: UPDATE: DEAL PASSED AND SIGNED OFF!!!

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Chris Daniels ‏ @ChrisDaniels5
The Arena Panel meeting will be at the Bertha Landes room at #Seattle City Hall, and is open to the public.

I am told the Arena panel will also make a recommendation at that time, to the Seattle and King County Councils.

Seattle's Arena Panel has scheduled a 5pm meeting on Wednesday, April 4th. They will officially release report on Hansen proposal then.

Well there you go, we'll see on the 4th

m0ng0

Reaction score
I could care less about an NBA team as I am a lifelong Trailblazer fan, but an NHL team would be awesome. Maybe then I could stop following the Avalanche.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Throwdown":2cmvc3ks said:
Looks like Michael Jordan's done with the Bobcats

http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/ ... s/10453750

The city of Charlotte won't support 'em. Even if they suck. They're the worst team in the league, if they got the first overall pick, you're looking at Anthony Davis and his unibrow, plus they have Kemba Walker. I'll take 'em though.

Very interesting....

chris98251

Reaction score
Howard Lincoln is a schmuck, he can't figure out how to make the M's successful, how the hell does he know about another team and franchise and what can make them successful.

Mariners just want a pay off and to have things fixed for them and Safeco transportation wise. The roads and structure there has needed to be upgraded for years. They are more worried about losing ticket sales to the Sonics over if the plan is feasable or not.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Blitzer88":125bjp14 said:
http://www.king5.com/sports/Mariners-dead-set-against-location-of-proposed-SODO-arena-146027195.html

Well....the Mariners are trying to rain on our NBA/NHL parade.

I don't get it...

YOU. ARE. THE. MARINERS!

Its disgusting to me personally that they get any say on the matter, you can't even put a compelling product on the field, and you're gonna throw your hat in this? Screw you Mariners, Its a shame we built you that palace cuz you guys damn well dont deserve it. I'm sure all the things they brought up in that letter have already been in consideration well before they opened their mouths.

I believe it comes down to attendance. Basketball is a much more exciting sport to watch, and the Mariners are probably the 2nd worst franchise in baseball and one of the worst in all of sports. Attendance has been dwindling at Safeco over the years as the teams been stuck in crap mode for the past 11 years. That tends to happen, atleast I think it would.. They don't wanna lose anymore. But hey, if you make the team good, they'll come back, but they just wanna sit there and make money, who cares about winning? only fans care about winning.

I really cannot stand this franchise anymore, I used to love them. Griffey was that dude, Ichiro, Felix, Jay Buehner, Dan Wilson all bad ass players, I'm sure Ackley's going to be mentioned with the Mariner greats as well. But this franchise is an embarassment to this Seattle Sports fan.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
This is another reason to never ever support the Mariners again. IF they screw up this deal I will never spend another dime on them nor will I root for them. They will be the enemy!

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Throwdown":3i8pfiuh said:
Blitzer88":3i8pfiuh said:
http://www.king5.com/sports/Mariners-dead-set-against-location-of-proposed-SODO-arena-146027195.html

Well....the Mariners are trying to rain on our NBA/NHL parade.

I don't get it...

YOU. ARE. THE. MARINERS!

Its disgusting to me personally that they get any say on the matter, you can't even put a compelling product on the field, and you're gonna throw your hat in this? Screw you Mariners, Its a shame we built you that palace cuz you guys damn well dont deserve it. I'm sure all the things they brought up in that letter have already been in consideration well before they opened their mouths.

I believe it comes down to attendance. Basketball is a much more exciting sport to watch, and the Mariners are probably the 2nd worst franchise in baseball and one of the worst in all of sports. Attendance has been dwindling at Safeco over the years as the teams been stuck in crap mode for the past 11 years. That tends to happen, atleast I think it would.. They don't wanna lose anymore. But hey, if you make the team good, they'll come back, but they just wanna sit there and make money, who cares about winning? only fans care about winning.

I really cannot stand this franchise anymore, I used to love them. Griffey was that dude, Ichiro, Felix, Jay Buehner, Dan Wilson all bad ass players, I'm sure Ackley's going to be mentioned with the Mariner greats as well. But this franchise is an embarassment to this Seattle Sports fan.

Yeah, just when I was starting to gain some hope in them as a franchise getting all these young talented players, though go and plus this little stunt.........smh. Howard and Lincoln need to go asap!

pinksheets

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":gjorvwii said:
This is another reason to never ever support the Mariners again. IF they screw up this deal I will never spend another dime on them nor will I root for them. They will be the enemy!
While I'm not going to hate on the Ms hardcore right now, and I think they're a young team worth starting to get excited about, IF they help blow up the SODO location and make Hansen pull out entirely, I'm on board with you Tech. I would never spend another penny on anything Mariners. Which is why this makes no sense. Let's be real, they're really worried about ticket sales due to people's limited discretionary spending on entertainment, but I'm confident their ticket sales will suffer far more if they stop us from getting the Sonics back.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Good ol' Seattle politics.

Back in the day the Sonics did a great job of c#$%blocking the NHL from coming here.

Now the Mariners are trying to c#$%block the Sonics from coming back, and once again the NHL gets resistance from a current sports franchise.

:pukeface:

pinksheets

Reaction score
Wow, so reportedly some of the questions from the phone survey the Ms are doing include:

Are you in favor of a new sports arena in the SODO district?
Are you in favor of a new sports arena or new roads?
Are you in favor of a new sports arena or improving schools?
Are you in favor of a new sports arena or low-income housing?

Seriously. They're push-polling, making it seem like they're against the arena altogether.

pinksheets

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":1rhh2r32 said:
And this when they are sitting in their 100% publicly funded stadium... wow
They should donate the public cost of Safeco towards these causes.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I mean I will always be an M's fan, but these statements feel like someone is punching me in my face over and over again.

pinksheets

Reaction score
The Mariners are officially trying to kill this.

The argument Armstrong is making that the SODO arena would only be viable if there is a HUGE investment in public dollars to widen roads, build overpasses, add offramps, which when he says those things he acknowledges that the money it would take is so much more than the public would want to pay. It's also common knowledge that the only reason this arena deal is so viable here in Seattle is that it requires really no public risk or large investment. So if suddenly the only way to do this in SODO is with a huge public investment, it's dead. Which means what? It means we need to find a new location, but if you do that, Chris Hansen and his group are out. That's the group who is willing to make sure there's not a huge public investment and invest a ton of private money, which means any other location will likely require a huge public investment, which is again a non-starter. The Mariners organization knows what it's doing, it's setting up the perfect argument to kill this thing without actually arguing to kill it outright. They get plausible deniability, or so they think.